blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Basildon
blank.gif

Basildon's Progress with Statistics: 1949 - 1959


blank.gif
Housing
Dwellings completed Dwellings under construction Labour employed
By Corporation By Private Enterprise By Corporation By Private Enterprise
7,579 - 1,482 37 803
Actual Position to 30th June, 1959

Expenditure
Statement of Capital Commitments incurred by Basildon Development Corporation against the Statutory Limit of £300 Millions up to 30thJune, 1959.
(Total amount incurred by all 15 New Towns was £264,505,000).
Expenditure to
31st March, 1959
Outstanding Capital
Commitments as at
31st March, 1959
Approvals issued
1st April, 1959 to
30th June, 1959
Total
££ ££
24,798,0004,240,000 615,00029,653,000

Area and Population
Corporation Appointed Designated Area (acres) Population
OriginalProposed At 31st March, 1959 (est.)
February 1949 7,834 25,00080,000 47,000

Shops Schools
Number of original traders (approx) New Shops completed
30th June, 1959
Under Construction 30th June, 1959 Number before New Town designation New Schools Completed
30th June, 1959
Under Construction 30th June, 1959
294 169 43 6 14 1
Number of Pupil Places
(Pupil numbers relate to above figures)
2,600 7,060 560

Manufacturing Industry
Before Designation New Factories Completed by
30th June, 1959 (est.)
Under Construction
30th June, 1959 (est.)
No. of occupiers No. of employees Size
(sq. ft.)
No. of occupiers No. of employees
Actual
No. of employees
Potential
Size
(sq. ft.)
No. of occupiers No. to be employed Size
(sq. ft.)
20 not known not known 59 6,463 7,872 1,431,368 1 1,278 314,185
Source: Ministry of Housing & Local Government & Basildon Development Corporation as submitted for inclusion in booklet "New Towns Exhibition 1959".
blank.gif

blank.gif
Basildon's Progress: 1949 - 1959

Basildon is one of the eight New Towns of the 'London Ring', and like the others has the primary purpose of relieving the congestion of population and industry in London; in its case particularly the congestion in the East End.

The New Town of Basildon, however, has a secondary purpose: namely to redevelop areas in which a large scattered community, living for the most part in dwellings of a low standard, had already grown up. A great deal of unplanned and bad development had occured around the townships of Pitsea and Vange on the east and Laindon and Langdon Hills on the west of what was to become the site of the New Town. These areas, once pleasantly agricultural, had become what, with justification, could be described as rural slums.

Little or no regard had been paid to the elementary principles of town and country planning. Roads were left unmade, sewers were omitted, and other public services came in very slowly. A situation had been created which the local authorities could hardly tackle without very serious financial consequences.

Due largely to the representations of the Essex County Council and Billericay (as it then was) Urban District Council, supported by the County Boroughs of West Ham and East Ham (which had great problems of overspill) the designation order for a New Town at Basildon was made in 1949. The Development Corporation appointed to build a New Town were charged with the unusual task of clearing these 'backwood' areas and superimposing modern planned development.

The scale of the problem facing the Corporation will be appreciated when it is realized that in the designated area of nearly 8.000 acres there were 78 miles of unmade roads which were little more than grass and mud tracks impassable except in summer. 5.000 dwellings below accepted standards of construction and amenity were sporadically scattered over more than one half of the area.

Although there were so many dwellings, only a fraction of the number of plots (running into thousands) which had been sold off in the past, mostly to people of small means, had been built on. Tracing the owners has proved to be the most difficult: many in fact remain unknown. To date 7,156 separate purchases have been completed, covering some 3,267 acres.

The nature of the ground also presented difficulty, as the greater part of the area is covered with the heaviest of London clay, which is sulphate-bearing and highly shrinkable. This meant that special precautions had to be taken in constructional and building work.

Apart from the railway - the main line between Fenchurch Street and Southend - which bisects the area, communications throughout were of a very poor standard; there were no roads directly linking east and west.

Having prepared the master plan for the town, one of the first duties of the Development Corporation was to improve communications and public services. New roads were built, new sewers laid, a completely new sewage works constructed, and bridges reconstructed.

An early set-back was sustained over the drainage outfall. As the greater part of the designated area falls northwards to the River Crouch, it was naturally wished to discharge the purified effluent in that direction. However, the presence of oyster fisheries in this river, and the possible adverse effect on them of reducing the salinity of the water, resulted in the Corporation being required to turn their sewers southwards against the natural contours and discharge into one of the creeks of the Thames estuary. Several miles of trunk sewer had to be laid in tunnels at depths of up to 73 feet.

7,500 dwellings, providing homes for 23,300 persons, most of whom have come from London, have already been completed and building is continuing at the rate of 1,250 dwellings a year.

Industrial development has been considerable. The first industrial area of about 200 acres is almost completely filled with over 50 factories, providing a diverse and well-balanced industrial base. The factories look out on to the Southend Arterial Road with a pleasantly landscaped area between.

Shopping centres have been completed in the three neighbourhoods where develoment has so far been largely consentrated, and other community buildings, churches, public houses, etc., are gradually taking up their alloted places in the neighbourhood plans.

The Essex County Council have co-operated wholeheartedly with the Corporation, and the New Town possesses some very fine schools, well equipped and well endowed with playing fields. Basildon Urban District Council have co-operated in the provision of community centres and in the laying out of public open spaces and playing fields.

One of the outstanding features of Basildon is its great variety of domestic agriculture. The creation of an entirely new town centre, now rapidly taking shape, has given a unique opportunity for imaginative development; a large measure of segreation has been achieved - the 300 shops, to be served mainly by pedestrian ways, will have adequate car parks at the rear. The plan of the centre provides for civic, government and county buildings of fine architecture, cinemas, and a high tower-block of flats.

Development up to now has been concentrated in the more open areas in the centre of the town site, but the stage has been reached when development of the areas on the east and west can soon be commenced, and what were rural slums will in the course of the next few years give way to pleasantly planned urban development.

It is expected that Basildon will have an ultimate population of at least 100,000 and that it will become the largest of Britain's New Towns not only in area but in population. As development continues the town will undoubtedly become an outstanding commercial and cultural centre serving not merely the needs of its own residents but also those of the population of a wide surrounding district.

Title: New Towns Exhibition 1959

Credit: No credited author. Exhibition book produced by Hazel Evans & published by the Town and Country Planning Association.

Comments: This account is reproduced in its entirety, unedited and unabridged.

Page added: 2003
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM