A Basildon Chronology|
1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919|
Southend Waterworks Company carry out extensions to their existing mains network at Basildon, Little Burstead, Laindon and Mountnessing.
15th January -
John Hendley Morrision Kirkwood elected Conservative member of parliament for the Essex South Eastern parliamentary
constituency - including Basildon. Majority 1,911. The general election of January/February
1910 produced a hung parliament. The Liberal party won the most seats and formed a minority
government with the support of the Irish Parliamentary Party.
3rd - 19th December
Mr. John Hendley Morrision Kirkwood re-elected Conservative member of parliament for the Essex South Eastern
parliamentary constituency - including Basildon. Majority 1,217. Liberals win general Election
with a majority of 1 seat and form a minority government with the support of the Irish Parliamentary Party.
The Vange and Pitsea Horticultural Society
formed. Still active today, membership in its early years stood at 400 and was mainly
male. Today, women form the main core of its members.
The new Langdon Hills Council school opens. The
school, located on the eastern side of High Road before the hill rises, replaced an earlier National Society school that still stands
at the summit of Crown Hill and which is now a private residence. Langdon Hills later became a County
Primary and closed in 1973 when a larger school was built in nearby Berry Lane called Lincewood. The
school then became an annexe for Lincewood until the 1990s and is still used for educational
purposes; now being used by Essex County Council as a Children's Support Service Centre.
The first telephone in Laindon installed. An early single figure phone number was Bluehouse
Farm on Laindon 2. Other single figure numbers still in use in the mid 1930s were the Laindon
Hotel on Laindon 3, Grays Co-operative Society, High Road on Laindon 4, Crown Hotel on Laindon
5, Alfred Brooks, J.P., C.C., of Goldsmiths, South Hill, Langdon Hills on Laindon 6, Burnie and
Coleman, Solicitors of 7 High Road on Laindon 7, Brookmans Farm, Lower Dunton Road on Laindon 8
and the Prince of Wales public house, Wash Road on Laindon 9.
Mr. John Hendley Morrision Kirkwood, Member of Parliament for the Essex South Eastern
constituency representing the Basildon area resigns from his parliamentary seat to become a
Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds. His successor is The Hon. Rupert Guinness who in an unopposed
bye-election on 16th March, 1912 retained the seat for the Conservative party through to 1918
when a new Southend seat is created and he is elected its first MP.
An explosion at the British Explosives Syndicate
factory at Pitsea kills three men and injures others. The three men: Arthur Cross, Henry John Hanna and John Bayles
were all killed following an explosion in a gun cotton stove. Others working nearby were also injuried
in the blast which completely destroyed the Stove building. The funeral service for the men,
who all lived in or near Pitsea, took place at St. Michael's Church, Pitsea. They were buried in
graves overlooking the direction of the factory which is now the site of Wat Tyler Country Park.
The Cole family establish a grocery business in
Laindon. This lasted through to the 1970s and included shops at 20 High Road, Laindon and in the
High Road Langdon Hills as well as a stall on Basildon market.
Following a German attack on France achieved through the unauthorised entry by German troops on
Belgium territory, Great Britain, which had formed an alliance with Belgium dating back to the 1839 Treaty of London, declares war on Germany. This
event was seen as the start of what became known as the 'Great War'. Many local civilians were to serve in the British army over the coming years
and with any war, some would not return. In the years following the cessation of hostilities in 1918 war memorials to the fallen were erected at Laindon
(1935), Vange (1922) and Pitsea (1928). A hall, simply called the memorial hall, was also built in High Road, Laindon in the 1920s.
Mass is celebrated in a family home by the Parish
Priest of Billericay. Later in 1925 a catholic church (St. Teresa's) was established at High Road, Langdon Hills.
Lee Chapel Farm destroyed by fire. The farmhouse, built of timber and brick, is believed to date in parts
to the 16th century. Its location was approximately in the area now bordered by Gaynesford in Lee Chapel South. A small pond, partially enclosed by
woodland within the grounds of a local recreation ground, is now the only reminder of the farm's existence. A chapel, which gave its name to the parish,
is said to have stood to the north of the farm. Possible remains have been uncovered during previous excavations of the area.
A second fatal explosion occurs at the British Explosives Syndicate factory at Pitsea. The explosion and
subsequent fire, which took place in a Heat Test Room laboratory, killed two people and severely damaged the building. It is thought that the explosion
occurred as a result of a bottle of Nitro-Glycerine being accidently dropped. One of the dead was William Alfred Osbourne, 16, from Vange who worked there as
a Chemists Assistant. The other fatality was that of the Heat and Moisture Technician whose name remains unknown.
A proposed new railway linking Pitsea with Canvey Island was announded in edition 30402 of the
London Gazette. An as yet unincorporated company was seeking an Act of Parliament to construct the line off the Midland Railway's London to Shoeburyness
route leaving Pitsea Junction station and crossing Bowers Gifford to terminate at a point close to Deadman's Point. A second line, with a junction off the
proposed route would terminate near the Holehaven Creek at Holehaven Point where a deep water wharf would be constructed. The lines were to be for
the transportation of freight and it was not at this stage intended that the route would carry passengers. Unfortunately the announcement proved
premature and despite many revisions to the scheme through to 1921, including a potential direct link to the Great Eastern Railway (GER) line through
North Benfleet to Wickford, none of the lines were ever constructed.
Mr. Frank Hilder elected Coalition Conservative MP for the Essex South Eastern parliamentary
constituency - including Basildon. Majority 6,360. A coalition government is formed with
Liberal leader David Lloyd George as Prime Minister.
Parkinson's garage service opens in High Road, Laindon. The business was founded by James Parkinson Snr. who opened a garage in an ex army hut
next door to the families' Cottenham home on the corner of Somerset Road. Three of his sons; Bert, Cecil and later Cliff would all join the family business
which became known as Parkinson Bros. All full range of services were available including petrol, mechanical and cycle repairs, taxis and their own brand
of engine oil. When the A127 Arterial Road was completed in the 1920s a second garage opened at the High Road crossroads junction which Bert ran. Cliff
would later run the business for more than 40 years until 2004, which included a move in 1970 into the former Greens Stores grocery shop on a larger site
at 28-32 High Road on the corner of Durham Road because Basildon Development Corporation wished to create a roundabout in the High Road at the
junction with Laindon Link.
The Ministry of Transport Act, 1919, passed in parliament. Section 17 (2) details the planned
introduction of classification for important roads.
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2001 with revisions and additions 2002-2017.
Copyright © 2001-2017, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
Acknowledgements and Bibliography