All Saints church in London Road, Vange, is thought to
date from around 1328 and believed to be the oldest surviving church in Basildon.
In the late 1890s the church
underwent a restoration which was completed in May 1896.
The interior, once lit by oil lamps, was later wired for
light after electricity was installed to provide heating in 1931.
On the 4th July, 1955 the church, along with a
number of others buildings in the Basildon area, became a listed building on the government departments' Ministry of
Works list of buildings of historic interest. As of today it is now a designated a Grade II* listed building.
the 1950s the population of Vange began to increase as the new housing estates of Basildon new
town began to take shape. The location of the church, its size and condition were considered inadequate
and a new church called St. Chad's was built in Timberlog Lane (now Clay Hill Road) which opened
Services, though greatly reduced, did continue at All Saints, as did marriages
and funeral services but by the 1990s it was evident that the church, if it was to survive would
need to undergo important renovation work.
The last service was held in 1994 and the church
was made redundant on 14th February 1996.
From 2003 the Churches Conservation Trust took over
the care of the church and in 2004 scaffolding was erected as part of a three year maintenance and
restoration programme. The roof, exterior woodwork, and the interior were just some of the areas
undertaken to ensure the survival of the Grade II* listed building.
The following is a list of Rectors from 1328:-