blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2010 Forum Threads - July to December

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2010 entries
Click here for January - June entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

39) Youth Clubs in the 1960s - 9 replies.
40) Remember Me? - 9 replies.
41) Aeroplane Park
42) Laindon Park School - 1 reply.
43) Honeypot Lane - 7 replies.
44) Yardley, Basildon - 4 replies.
45) Pitsea United
46) Basildon Road
47) St. Nicholas Church - 2 replies.
48) Harts Bookmakers, Pitsea - 2 replies.
49) Pitsea in the 1940's and 50's - 8 replies.
50) New book about Pitsea
51) Armada Football Club - 1 reply.
52) Help with identifiying an early new town photograph - 3 replies.
53) Another unidentified early new town photo... - 2 replies.
54) FOR JOY POULTON RE: FRANKIE CLELAND
55) Craylands School from 1945 to around 1955 - 1 reply.
56) St. Andrew's Youth Club
57) Kimberley Road, Laindon - 6 replies.
58) Ken Page
59) Basildon Library
60) New book about the Plotlands - 4 replies.
61) Basildon Memories on Facebook - 1 reply.
62) Pre-new town buildings - 12 replies.
63) Gladys Turbard - 1 reply.
64) Good neighbours
65) Slaughter Electrical, Laindon - 13 replies.
66) Looking for an old friend
67) Seeking an old friend from Basildon Aquatels
68) Pre-new town Basildon on Google Earth - 3 replies.
69) Greetings - 3 replies.
70) christmas greetings
blank.gif
39.  Youth Clubs in the 1960s
Posted by Paul Stickland Email User on 11/7/2010, 7:00 pm
Hi, I grew up in Laindon and went to Laindon Park & Laindon High Rd Schools. Does anyone remember the Nicholas School youth club in the early sixties? They had a live band most Friday nights, with some big names appearing. I can remember the John Mayal Bluesbreakers and Zoot Moneys Big Roll Band. Can anyone remember any others as I think there must have been other big names that as a 14 year old i didn't recognise.
Also does anyone remember the super group Cream playing at Craylands youth club? How did it come about that such big names were playing at youth clubs?
Hope someone remembers and replies.
Regards Paul Stickland. 59.

Re: Youth Clubs in the 1960s
Posted by keith nock Email User on 13/7/2010, 10:56 am
hi paul nice to hear from you i do remember youth club many good nights spent there do you remember me from high road school i went there from 61-65 iam just 60 we had some good days there shame its all gone now regards keith nock

Posted by Paul Stickland Email User on 13/7/2010, 4:56 pm
Hi Keith, Yes I remember your name, who's class were you in? Also do you remember any other bands that were on at the 'nick?
Paul

Posted by keith nock Email User on 13/7/2010, 9:31 pm
hi paul i was in mr turners class and mr minikin's class. i keep in touch with lots of school friends. can't remember anymore bands though i was talking to francis tyler today she remembers you. regards keith

Posted by Martin Twelftree (Twelvo) Email User on 31/7/2010, 8:19 pm
I went to Nicholas Youth Club from about 1966 till about 1969. I have seen Fleetwood Mac apparently at the club but I cannot remember.
I use to hang around with Chris Catlin, Ray Cadd, Ian Henderson to name a few.
I also use to dj on the in house radio station.
I remember the Love Affair at Woodlands youth club one friday. they had a hit with Everlasting Love.

Posted by Paul Stickland Email User on 7/8/2010, 8:30 pm
Hi Martin, Thanks for the info' about Fleetwood Mac. I don't remember seeing them but it is intriguing that they had all these big names at a youth club. Which school did you go to?
Regards Paul.

Posted by DEAK HAYDEN on 7/1/2011, 4:37 pm
hi paul i remember you well and used go around
with john wall terry hopton and co i used to be on the nicholas youth center committee that used to
book the bands
other bands that played there were the riot squad she trinity and the royal aleander blues band

Posted by kevin barrett Email User on 14/5/2012, 3:46 pm
hi
it was a great time for music, bands seemed to turn up every where, pubs, clubs and even school youth clubs. Woodlands had its share. K recall Atomic rooster, and I believe Cream played too.
I think Some of them were booked through Roger Balcome, who organised the Arts Lab, first in Laindon and later at the Arts Centre in basildon. I think he went on to be a busy promoter

Posted by Paul Stickland Email User on 18/5/2012, 8:53 am
Hi Deak,
I'm sorry for my very slow responce, I have only just read your reply about youth clubs. You certainly booked some great bands back then. Amazing for a youth club.
Regards, Paul

Posted by kim day Email User on 31/8/2012, 8:48 am
hi all i remember nicholas youth club big jim was in charge then i use to book some bands their and play records in the dj box and the tea bar mrs wheatly ran the tea bar use to hang around with dave craft ray walters dave leeks too many to remember

40.  Remember Me?
Posted by nadine bunn Email User on 13/7/2010, 10:36 am
hello, is there anyone out there who remembers me? i lived in laindon and went to markhams chase school in the late 50s and early 60s and then went on to laindon high road school. my best friend was christine kemp, who had an elder sister called sandra who lived at the back of markhams chase school. it would be great to hear from anyone who knew me all them many years ago. looking forward to any response. nadine bunn.

Re: Remember Me?
Posted by keith nock Email User on 13/7/2010, 10:51 am
hi nadine yes i remember you from high road school i went there from 61-65 me and eric stevens and john earp kevin brown i still keep in touch with lots of school friends please keep in touch regards keith nock

Posted by Andrea Email User on 13/7/2010, 3:59 pm
Hi Nadine

Yes, I remember you as will my husband Chris Ash; we both lived in Dickens Drive and you lived near Coral Hewitt I believe???

How are you doing?

Regards Andrea (nee Pinnell)

Posted by nadine bunn Email User on 14/7/2010, 12:51 pm
hi keith, great to get your e,mail, regarding friends of laindon high road school. yes i do remember eric stevens, didnt he marry francis tyler. also do you remember jennifer bailey, rose bartley, christine sweeney, colin riggs, clifford rigs, who by the way is dead now. dennis jones, henery martin, pat marshall, and susan hodgson who is also dead. i am trying to think of the rest of them, but no doubt it all come back to me. my profile is that i have 2 sons 5 grandchildren and 1 great granchild. i now live in north west france, and find the way of life here more restful than living in england. you never know what life will throw at you. any way tell the rest of the crowd that we have made contact, and i would love to here from any one of them. so please try to keep me updated with everything. regards to you viva la france nadine bunn.

Posted by nadine bunn Email User on 14/7/2010, 1:05 pm
hi andrea, great to hear from you i dont remember your husband chris, but coral hewit rings a bell, but no doubt it will all come back to me, when i start thinking, i have not been to laindon for such a long time now the last time was my mothers funeral in 1999, i now live in north west france, the way of life is so much slower, and of course the wine much cheaper, anyway catch up soon regards nadine bunn.

Posted by Andrea Email User on 14/7/2010, 8:28 pm
Hi Nadine, thanks for email; am I right you have a sister Lorraine and you lived off Kathleen Ferrier? ps Saw Coral not so long ago, still the same! Andrea ps you can use my email address if you want to.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 14/7/2010, 10:53 pm
Hello Nadine, while I don't remember you, being 2 years older, I Do remember Sandra Kemp, as we were in the same classes most of our school time.

Markhams (Now Janet Duke) Chase is having a function for any ex-pupils/teachers in September, and even though you live in France now, I'm sure your memories will be welcome there.

Posted by keith nock Email User on 15/7/2010, 8:47 pm
hi nadine just to let you know lots of your school friends are on the friends reunited site. search 1961-65 years laindon high rd and most of our school mates are on there. membership is free.
best wishes keith

Posted by Wendy Barnes Email User on 16/8/2010, 4:39 pm
Hi Nadine. I went to Markhams Chase between 1958-1961 when we moved to Kingswood, Basildon and I changed schools. My elder brother and sister and went to Markhams Chase and then on to Laindon High Road too, although I think they may be a bit older than you their names are Eric Cowell and Linda Cowell. Two of my cousins also went to the High Rd, but not to Markhams Chase, they are Tony (Anthony) and Alan Butcher. Do you remember any of them?

Posted by thomas hoy Email User on 21/10/2010, 1:28 am
Hi Nadine, what a suprise I see your name on this facebook/internet, I hope you remember me, we first met in Tilbury, and then in Runwell where I screwed up. thats past history however ive always thought of you as a friend after making me welcome in Basildon, never forgotten and advice taken, I now live in Norway and been here for many years, I sometimes work in France and still travelling, take care hope to hear from you, love and wishes Tomhappy.gif

41.  Aeroplane Park
Posted by Paul Harper Email User on 22/7/2010, 11:44 pm
Hi

Does any one remember what us kids called the airplane park? I believe it was up near The Knares and had a real airplane in it, this was replaced by a bar type climbing frame.

42.  Laindon Park School
Posted by keith nock Email User on 4/8/2010, 3:40 pm
hi i wonder if anyone went to laindon park primary school i was there from 1955-61 what a lovely school it was we used to go country dancing in hall near st nicholas church best wishes keith nock

Re: Laindon Park School
Posted by june newland nee bradford Email User on 2/12/2010, 6:21 pm
remember me june bradford

43.  Honeypot Lane
Posted by Helen Email User on 23/8/2010, 2:11 pm
Can anybody please tell me if Harding Elms Road and/or Pipps Hill Road North, originally was part of Honeypot Lane. Many thanks

Re: Honeypot Lane
Posted by keith nock Email User on 24/8/2010, 8:23 am
hi helen yes it was all one road i have some old maps of laindon they where lovely roads i remember basildon rd lovely leafy lanes and people sold every thing you needed now all taken up with industy still i still have my memories regards keith

Posted by Helen Email User on 25/8/2010, 9:33 am
Hi Keith

Thank you for that information. So this must mean that Honeypot Lane run from Billericay, and started at the Road which is now Harding Elms Road, if I'm correct. Have you ever thought about showing your maps to the Basildon District Museum. I absolutely love anything to do with Basildon and Laindon History. I would love to see some old moving films on the area, but I won't know where to be able to do this.

Regards

Helen

Posted by keith nock Email User on 26/8/2010, 8:38 am
hi helen next time ken porter has talk on laindon i will bring my maps and photos with me i had interesting day at st nicholas church a few weeks ago had look around church and ken had loads of photos and done a talk on famous people of laindon best wishes keith

Posted by Helen Email User on 27/8/2010, 11:07 am
Great. That will be lovely. Do you know when the next talk will be? There is also a history talk on the 20th September at the library in Whitmore way.

Posted by keith nock Email User on 27/8/2010, 5:32 pm
hi helen i will find out from ken and let you know if your interested their next is at st nicholas church a 2 day festival being open by joe goodman about famous entertainers of laindon loads of photos and talk its 11th and 12th of september 11-5 sat 12-5 sun regards keith

Posted by Helen Email User on 28/8/2010, 10:19 am
Many thanks for that information. I will try to pop up there on the 11th September if I can.

Posted by Helen on 14/9/2010, 10:01 am
Hi Keith.

I was unable to attend St Nicholas last weekend, as my son had been admitted to hospital. Can you perhaps let me know when the next one is, as I really still would like to attend it.

Regards

44.  Yardley, Basildon
Posted by ruth shurman Email User on 31/8/2010, 7:24 pm
Hi, I'm looking for former employees of the Yardley factory in Basildon, as part of my research for a BBC2 programme about Yardley. Keen to hear from anyone who worked there - the names Pat Good and Pam Carless are amongst the workers quoted in news reports about Yardley going bust in 1998 or any other ideas about how to trace former Yardley workers. Thanks

Re: Yardley, Basildon
Posted by Jim Green Email User on 6/9/2010, 8:13 pm
Hello Ruth, I worked at Yardley's for a couple of years in the mid eighties. I worked in the soap department as a machine mechanic with Andy Foufas our Greek foreman, Jimmy McKean and a couple of others whose names escape me. Johnny Wheeler and co mixed the soap and much of it was hand wrapped by about a dozen ladies. I can remember many christian names but surnames escape me as we were all on Christian name terms then. Mr Cooper was the chief chemist, a likeable and knowledgeble chap. A New Zealand chap named Brian Ralph drove a mechanical delivery truck supplying stock to the girls and a Scotsman named Frank drove the big forklift. It was a big airy factory, very friendly and we had lots of bomb scares causing us to vacate the premises onto the football pitch alongside the building. One name that comes to mind was a young lady who wrapped the soap named Suzanne Body, apparently an ex Basildon beauty queen and a very nice girl with a cute smile. I was happy there until family troubles forced me to leave but I won't forget the experience.

Posted by ruth shurman Email User on 10/9/2010, 10:46 am
Hi Jim, thanks very much for your message. I never heard about the bomb scares before!

Posted by june newland nee bradford Email User on 2/12/2010, 6:32 pm
calling all former workers of yardleys im looking for tina bloomfield who worked with me in the 1970s in yardleys

Posted by lin Woodward Email User on 4/12/2010, 5:33 pm
I worked at Yardley in the 1970's I think I left in 1975. I was an office worker but was based in the Distribution Warehouse. I worked out the efficiency percentages of the Pickers and Packers and the results went straight to the Managing Director. There were that many bomb scares in those days that the Company issued all the staff rain macs! (they were very good quality too). In fact we spent more time in the car park than we did in the office! My name in those days was Linda Heard if anyone can remember me.

45.  Pitsea United
Posted by Patriot Email User on 4/9/2010, 8:52 pm
Does anyone have any Information/Photos/Programmes/Memories on Pitsea united Football club?

Thanks

46.  Basildon Road
Posted by keith nock Email User on 6/9/2010, 2:08 pm
hi i wonder if anyone remembers basildon road it was such a lovely road you could buy nearly everything you needed there i remember the guest family they had turkeys roosting in trees and the lovely fruit trees many times i went home with stomach ache after scrumping regards keith

47.  St. Nicholas Church
Posted by Andrea Email User on 12/9/2010, 10:48 am
Just like to say a HUGE thank you for all the folk concerned in organising the Laindon's Got Talent weekend at St Nicholas Church. Had a lovely afternoon up there yesterday and could see it was an enormous success - well done to you all and hope today is just as good - the sun is shining so that should bring them out.
Great to see some old faces!

Re: St. Nicholas Church
Posted by keith nock Email User on 13/9/2010, 10:20 am
hi had lovely day at church on saturday so nice to meet old friends thanks to all people who organised it regards keith

Re: St. Nicholas Church
Posted by brian baylis Email User on 18/9/2010, 11:17 pm
I had pleasure in re-visiting St. Nic's, the same day as Janet Duke School held the Celebration and Reunion Day on Friday 10th September.

I met with friends from times passed at both.

48.  Harts Bookmakers, Pitsea
Posted by Elaine on 12/9/2010, 10:30 am
Does anyone remember this bookmakers also the owners Roger and Les. My name is Elaine and I used to work there with my friends Julie and Marion.

Re: Harts Bookmakers, Pitsea
Posted by lee harlow Email User on 19/10/2010, 9:18 pm
Yes i do remember well roger anyway he and his wife vale were my mum and dads best friends when they lived in wykes green not seen them for a good 20 years now

Re: Harts Bookmakers, Pitsea
Posted by arthur reader Email User on 29/4/2012, 7:41 am
Hi,
Remember it very well near the station, I was a very good friend of the family, jane and her brother and sister.
We used to travel together.

I think I still have a photos of the family some where.

I got married in the church on top of the hill.

49.  Pitsea in the 1940's and 50's
Posted by Derrick Burt Email User on 12/9/2010, 11:12 am
I have just seen a message mentioning Topsy Saye and the writer lived oppsite her cottage (ruin) on the concrete path from Watson's bakery to Vange. I knew somebody there - Fred Chittock - worked at Bata, East Tilbury. Earlier I used to get sweets in the shop near Pitsea school back gate. Somebody else mentioned The Willow Pond - hours I spent fishing for newts from the Camel or the higher trees.

Please contact me derrick.burt@sky.com

Re: Pitsea in the 1940's and 50's
Posted by Maureen Baxter (nee Ridley) Email User on 14/9/2010, 4:56 pm
Derek, the Willow Pond was a magical place, wasn't it? I was born in my grandparents bungalow in Lillie Avenue so we were very close to the Willow Pond. My brother, cousins and I spent hours there catching newts, sticklebacks and tadpoles - occasionally falling off the large branch that hung across the pond (is that what you are referring to as the Camel?) I used to love watching the dragonflies flitting between the bullrushes. A shame that such a beautiful place was destroyed by the march of housing estates.

Posted by pat Email User on 18/9/2010, 10:27 pm
my gran lived in Trenham Ave in the 40s/50s. We would walk to the bottom of the avenue and turn right, cross the field then over a style into another field where there was a pond with trees around the edge. we always took the dogs for a run over there and they would jump in for a swim. Do you know where i mean?

Posted by Ron Chittock Email User on 20/9/2010, 9:18 am
Do not despair Maureen, the Willow pond has not been destroyed, it still exists on the eastern edge of Northlands Park but if you want to see it don't delay as parts of the park are under threat to help pay for the sporting village.

Posted by Maureen Baxter (nee Ridley) Email User on 20/9/2010, 2:46 pm
Thanks for your reply, Ron. I moved away from Pitsea in '79 so I don't know Northlands Park (where is it situated please) but it is a relief to know that the Willow Pond still exists, I hope it is looked after. Someone told me the pond had been reduced to a grubby little hole in the middle of the Felmores estate but as I couldn't get my bearings I wasn't sure if this was the right area. I now live in the Midlands so I'm not likely to visit again but perhaps it's best that I keep the lovely memories of how the pond used to be rather than see it destroyed.

Posted by Ron Chittock Email User on 21/9/2010, 8:12 am
I'm afraid that the Willow pond is not really looked after and like many farm ponds it has dried out over the years but you never forget your childhood memories!
It is visible on Bing maps satellite view but only just as the trees are now well overgrown!

Posted by memory man on 21/9/2010, 4:30 pm
the willow pond is next door to the chalvedon community centre off mill green pitsea. See other postings in archive section.

Posted by Sue Randle on 8/2/2011, 12:41 pm
There is an Exhibition of old photographs of Pitsea in the Exhibition Hall of Wat Tyler Country Park from the 7th of February. Entrance free. Sue Randle, Basildon Heritage

Posted by Dee Hodges Email User on 15/5/2011, 4:30 pm
I fell in that pond!! It had an island in the middle...

50.  New book about Pitsea
Posted by John Williams Email User on 12/9/2010, 4:16 pm
My Website
I have just completed a book on the history of the Pitsea Hall Island, what is now Wat Tyler Park. It covers mainly the period when it was an explosives factory and a Sea Transport depot.
If anyone is interested my website is worth a visit.

51.  Armada Football Club
Posted by Alan Austin on 12/9/2010, 7:25 pm
Hello, can anyone help i'm trying to find Ex players from Armada F.C. who played at the gun pub in basildon in the late 1960's.

Re: Armada Football Club
Posted by arthur reader Email User on 29/4/2012, 7:52 am
That's me I was the goal keeper with Dave Marks, Dicky Austin tec

52.  Help with identifiying an early new town photograph
Posted by Steven Email User on 15/9/2010, 2:33 pm
Anyone here have any idea of where this could be...?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/2180635156/

My first thoughts were that it looked like Osborne Road heading towards Puck Lane, and although it does look similar it's not there. I'm still thinking that part of town is most likely but I haven't found it yet.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Re: Help with identifiying an early new town photograph
Posted by Neil Paterson Email User on 16/9/2010, 9:18 pm
It's Waldegrave, close to the junction with Clay Hill Road.

Neil

Posted by Admin on 17/9/2010, 12:56 am
Type SS16 5EE into Google Maps for their current street view of Waldegrave. The manhole cover behind the lady now has a large plant pot partly obscuring it.

Posted by Steven on 17/9/2010, 7:00 am
Thanks so much - I'm going to have a good look today...

53.  Another unidentified early new town photo...
Posted by Steven Email User on 17/9/2010, 7:51 am
Less to go on this time but the way the houses are set back is quite distinctive...

https://www.rifmountain.com/Unidentified_Basildon_street,_1957.jpg

Steven

Re: Another unidentified early new town photo...
Posted by lin Woodward Email User on 4/12/2010, 5:14 pm
I would say this is the back corner of Little Spenders. The pathway used to go to the old moat behind The Community Centre near Church Road shops (commonly known as "The hole in the wall") where my father for many years was their President. If you look at Google maps streetview you can even see the trees seen in the old photo. A little larger and of course the houses have been modified somewhat. Hope this helps

Re: Another unidentified early new town photo...
Posted by Steven on 21/2/2011, 9:35 am
Amazing - that's definitely it. Thanks a lot.

54.  FOR JOY POULTON RE: FRANKIE CLELAND
Posted by Melissa Horton Email User on 18/9/2010, 8:34 pm
MESSAGE FOR JOY POULTON - RE: 5 HARTFORD END POSTING LAST YEAR.

Hi Joy, I sincerley hope you will receive this message. I have only come across your response to my posting regarding my aunt Frankie Cleland. If you do receive this message I would be so grateful if you could contact me directly at melissa_horton@hotmail.com Thank you, Melissa Horton

55.  Craylands School from 1945 to around 1955
Posted by Kelly Nicholls Email User on 19/9/2010, 8:56 am
Hi,
My dad went to Craylands school somewhere around 1945. His name is John Nicholls and his brothers are Paul, Peter and David. This message is a bit random, but I'm creating a book for dad's 70th birthday with notes from all his friends and I'm trying to get photos and stories from his past.
I know this is a major long shot, but I just thought someone on this site might remember him and might even remember some time that you spent together at school. As I said, a total long shot. But, if you do remember dad please do write to me, I'd love to include in this book stories from people he hasn't been in touch with for 60 odd years!
Thanks!!
Kelly (nicholls_kelly@hotmail.com)

Re: Craylands School from 1945 to around 1955
Posted by Charles Ball Email User on 3/7/2012, 2:46 am
I was born in 1937, I went to Craylands school in 1948 - 1952. I then lived in Pitsea on Rosemary Drive. I remember a boy called John Nicholls from the Youth club i went to at Pitsea school. This is all i can tell you But it may help to get His time at school correct. I will be 75 in August and my memory is O.K so I hope this helps.
I was called Charlie Ball at School

56.  St. Andrew's Youth Club
Posted by Margaret nee Hemmings Email User on 22/9/2010, 9:41 pm
Hi anyone out there know anyone that used to attend the above youth club?

57.  Kimberley Road, Laindon
Posted by david skinner Email User on 24/9/2010, 4:45 pm
hi - would anyone have any memories/information about a railway carriage my family had on kimberley road called rosedale and their surname was bambury
thanks

Re: Kimberley Road, Laindon
Posted by keith nock Email User on 26/9/2010, 6:11 pm
hi david yes i remember the railway carriage. Tom Bambury lived there. he had a brother can't remember his name. Tom used to drink in the prince of wales pub have you got any photos of it. best wishes keith

Posted by David Skinner Email User on 19/2/2011, 6:47 pm
Hi Keith

I started to think about the old days again - kimberley road - and got back onto the internet and saw your reply and I couldnt remember if I had replied to you - very rude of me if i didnt - however thanks and tom's brother was fred - they were my great uncles - i do have photos but not sure how to put them onto my computer - do you have any other memories of rosedale and the community in kimberley road?

all the best

David

Posted by keith nock Email User on 21/2/2011, 8:12 am
hi david i do remember a few families who lived in kimberley road my friend who i have known since i was 6 yrs old eric stevens his mum and dad and sister mary. it was such a lovely road unmade the saunders family great times we had exploring the pathways there is still a small part of it left but its not the same best wishes keith

Posted by David Skinner Email User on 21/2/2011, 11:39 pm
hi keith. yes i did the same when i visited rosedale in the fifties when i was a child. my great uncle tom used to take me round to the abandoned bungalows in kimberley road. was about the time when people were starting to leave. lovely memories. all the best david

Posted by Ron Francis Email User on 11/7/2011, 11:41 am
Does anyone remember Mrs Gilsons house where she used to sell sweets?

Posted by Bob Smith Email User on 9/7/2012, 2:53 pm
Greetings, I too knew the Stevens Family in Kimberley road, in fact lived opposite from them in "The Ryders", with my parents, Reg and Mollie, until their deaths in the late 50's. Jim and Phyl Stevens were good enough to care for me for a period of some weeks, prior to me moving to London to live with an Uncle and Aunt, (I was seven). One lifelong memory is that Phyl Stevens baked the best sponge Victoria sandwich on the planet. Other local family's I remember were, The Manleys, the Barrys, the Walls, the Piners and the Burns.
Best regards, Bob Smith.

58.  Ken Page
Posted by Andrea Email User on 17/10/2010, 8:51 am
It was great to read Ken's update on Basildon History site. Looking forward to the new book coming out and to see one of Ken's lovely old photos gracing the front cover.

Andrea (nee Pinnell)

59.  Basildon Library
Posted by Marie Email User on 23/10/2010, 10:36 pm
Basildon Library (at its present position behind the council offices) is 21 in December 2010 and there is to be an exhibition to celebrate this. I am hoping that someone may have photographs of the Town Centre in the 70/80's which would include the old Library at Fodderwick and/or the building of the new one at the back of the Basildon Council building, which we could borrow or copy. Any old newspaper articles you may have would be wonderful, in fact anything relating to the library service in the Town Centre. Also, there is to be an event in November where there will be a memory board and we are hoping that lots of people will come and write down some of their memories of Basildon.
Thank you in advance.

60.  New book about the Plotlands
Posted by Peter Jackson Email User on 3/11/2010, 12:49 pm
The Essex Wildlife Trust are hosting the launch of the new book 'A Portrait of Basildon Plotlands: The Enduring Spirit', by Deanna Walker and Peter Jackson, at Langdon Nature Reserve, Lower Dunton Road over the weekend of 20th & 21st November. Deanna and Peter will be there to sign copies and hopefully meet contributors who may be able to attend.

Re: New book about the Plotlands
Posted by Andrea Email User on 14/11/2010, 8:58 pm
What times please?

Posted by Mark M Email User on 15/11/2010, 8:05 pm
Saturday = 1200-1600
Sunday = 1030-1400

Posted by Andrea Email User on 16/11/2010, 8:50 am
Thank you.

Posted by keith nock Email User on 21/11/2010, 11:19 am
hi just wanted to thank peter and deena for such a great book it was such lovely day at book signing afterwards i went and had a look round haven very interesting to look back at those times brought back lots of memories regards keith

61.  Basildon Memories on Facebook
Posted by dave oakley Email User on 4/11/2010, 7:11 am
Hi guys, just wondering if anybody has checked out the BASILDON MEMORIES page on facebook, some great content there, old photos names etc.--regards Dave O.cute.gif

Re: Basildon Memories on Facebook
Posted by brian baylis Email User on 10/11/2010, 12:02 am
Thanks Dave, I will check it out asap.

62.  Pre-new town buildings
Posted by Steven Email User on 8/11/2010, 11:54 am
Hello all,
I'm on a mission to visit and photograph every pre-new town building and landmark still visible in the Basildon District. I'm aware of all the churches, schools, pubs and key places of historic interest, so I'm wondering if anyone has any hiddem gems from off the beaten track that they can share?
Thanks in advance,

Steven

Re: Pre-new town buildings
Posted by Mark M Email User on 22/11/2010, 4:43 pm
On the south side of All Saints Church in Vange is a bricked-up Norman window. It's quite possibly the oldest artefact in Basildon, although it doesn't make for a very exciting photograph!

Posted by lee harlow Email User on 30/11/2010, 4:57 pm
Try going to clicket end there is a pre new town house on the left hand side halfway up. well i think it's unique.

Posted by Steven Email User on 1/12/2010, 10:51 am
That's marvellous - thanks to you both.

Posted by Neil Email User on 18/12/2010, 4:14 pm
Basildon golf course was built on the site of the old Kingswood Hall. The old barn from the farm is still there.

Neil

Posted by bruce bellamy Email User on 3/1/2011, 10:59 pm
look at what is now called Great Berry Lane in Langdon Hills. and some of the turnings off like Shelley Avenue.. Shakespeare Avenue and New Avenue leading down to the rec... plenty of dwellings there that existed LONG before basildon new town

Posted by Helen Painter Email User on 27/1/2011, 12:07 pm
What a brilliant idea. Will you publish a book about the buildings?

Posted by Steven on 21/2/2011, 9:24 am
It's actually for a website project, focusing on the social history of the area from 1859-1959 (90 years prior to the development of Basildon, and the first 10 years of the new town). A book might follow, depending on interest.

Posted by Steven on 21/2/2011, 9:25 am
Fascinating, I never knew that - do you know which part of the course the barn is situated on??

Posted by Neil Email User on 21/2/2011, 12:41 pm
It's beside the car park for the golf course.
I hope it's still there as I haven't been down that way for a few years now.

Neil

Posted by Geoff Email User on 19/3/2011, 6:10 pm
Hi
I think you will find that the Development Corporation destroyed any decent building as soon as they were given the power. In my opinion, this was so (Charles) Boniface could say they were "clearing a rural slum" (I heard him say that) when dealing with the self built homes.
However, there are a lot of photos of old Basildon homes and farms already published in books about Basildon.

Regards

Posted by Steve Email User on 12/4/2011, 3:30 pm
This is probably no help at all, but when I was a kid in the early 60s we lived in Timberlog Lane. Not sure what number, but it was at the north end, where there are some houses built in an L-shape around a small green, just before the park. On that small green was an old timber-framed cottage with a wooden picket fence. It seemed like the new houses had been built around the cottage. An elderly couple lived there. You would have thought they wouldn't be happy with newcomers from the East End, but they used to give all the kids sweets and I remember my mum chatting with the old lady over the fence. It felt like the council bulldozer was parked around the corner, because the old couple died in a short space of time and suddenly the old house just disappeared.

Posted by helen Email User on 10/10/2011, 2:25 pm
There is an old plotland on the left hand side going under the basildon rail bridge (as if you was heading towards the hospital). Can you please let me know the name of this website for the pre new buildings. Looking forward to viewing it.

63.  Gladys Turbard
Posted by Andrea Email User on 28/11/2010, 9:14 pm
I was fortunate to have known Gladys Turbard from Laindon for a few years. On her passing, her niece was kind enough to send me some photographs of Gladys in her earlier years. Gladys was Laindon's postwomen many years previously and used a bicycle for her rounds. She was a remarkable old lady, with lots of tales to tell - a special character. Is there anyone reading this who knew Gladys and would share their memories of her?

Re: Gladys Turbard
Posted by Admin on 31/07/2013, 11:43 pm
The story of Gladys' time as Laindon's postwomen can be found at Basildon Stories in a special article compiled by Andrea.
Gladys Turbard - The Queen of Laindon

64.  Good neighbours
Posted by hazel Email User on 29/11/2010, 6:52 pm
my family moved to dowland walk in around 1953. my mum elsie hopkins, florry bunn, mrs knock and mrs yems started a club called the good neighbours. they met every friday evening in st. nicholas church hall. the local paper took a photo of the club members, we had the photo for years but unfortunatly over the years it has gone missing, does anyone remember the club or have the photo? hazel

65.  Slaughter Electrical, Laindon
Posted by Mark M Email User on 30/11/2010, 1:54 pm
Hi! I was wondering if anyone has memories of this shop in Laindon High Road. It was on the east side, more or less opposite Parkinson's Corner, and close to Barton the Baker and a fishmonger. It may have been No.44.

Re: Slaughter Electrical, Laindon
Posted by Mark M Email User on 30/11/2010, 4:41 pm
It was called Paramount Electrical & Radio and was run by John Slaughter.

Posted by Vic Wiles on 1/12/2010, 12:31 pm
Hi Mark
I knew the Slaughters 3 sons John Ken and Brian they all went to Vange primary school where Ken won medals at the distrct sports for running Brian lives in Australia and both Ken and John have passed on hope this of interest Vic

Posted by Mark M Email User on 1/12/2010, 3:00 pm
Thanks Vic. I know John Slaughter's nephew and he's interested in finding any photos of the shop or his uncle. The only photo I've found so far was taken from a bit of a distance.

Good to know the old Laindoners are still remembered!

Posted by Robin Lockhart Email User on 18/12/2010, 5:02 pm
I remember a Paramount Radio shop but I thought it was on the Western side of the High Road on a corner nearer the Hiawatha. My uncle Mr Henry Cullis in the early 50's used to do repair work for them and he would drive around in a brown 3- wheeler van that had Paramount Radio printed on the side

Posted by Mark M Email User on 20/12/2010, 5:34 pm
It's possible, if it was early 50's, that they may have been elsewhere at that time. I'll ask about it!

Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 28/3/2011, 5:38 am
Hi Mark, yes i do have lots of memories of the Paramount Electrical & Radio stores, as it was my dads shop, and i can remember most things from the fifties to when we closed in 63 i think??. I have not seen anything on our shop untill i saw your message. I am about to send a story off soon to this site with a couple of photos. Hope to heAR FROM YOU SOON. bRIAN sLAUGHTER

Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 28/3/2011, 5:51 am
Hi Robin, Just read your message, bought a tear to my eye, I remember your uncle well, he was a regular in the shop every day it seemed, and he used to do quite a few tv repairs for us, although i cannot remember the three wheeler. I think before my time or before my memory the shop was down near the Hiawatha before we moved up opposite Durham Road. I never heard of Mr. Cullis again after the shop closed in the early sixties, hope to hear from you soon. Brian Slaughter

Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 28/3/2011, 6:01 am
Hi Vic, me ole mate, a long time since i have seen you, must be over 40 years, and you are spot on, John & Ken have passed on and i am living in Sydney, and have been here for 37 years. I have heard that you are not doing so good Vic, but hope you can send me a message sometime. Can still remember your old Vauxhall bombing up and down Laindon High Road, the good old days!! Brian Slaughter

Posted by David Bailey Email User on 18/4/2011, 12:24 am
Hi Brian My father also used to do part time electrical work for your dad, this would be in the early 50s. In those days the main thing I remember the shop for was charging accumulators. my father's name was Bernie Bailey and my father worked shift work for Rotary Hoes and part time for your dad. the shop was in a parade set back from the road and on the opposite side to the original Parkinson garage

Posted by Robin Lockhart Email User on 17/5/2011, 3:42 pm
Hi, Were you related in any way to the Slaughters who used to live in Kennel Lane Great Burstead?

Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 31/5/2011, 7:09 am
Hi David, sorry but can't place your dad, i suppose i was a bit to young at the time, but can clearly remember the accumalators being charged, good days looking back, but not so good for the poor people who had to carry the heavy things sometimes for a mile or two, but i suppose we knew no difference at the time. I used to drive a truck for Howard Rotavator for a while, not a good company to drive for as they treated driving the same as factory work, and that just does not work, but that was a long time past now. All the best, Brian Slaughter

Posted by David Bailey Email User on 31/5/2011, 10:39 pm
Hi Brian
thanks for your reply. I do not no your age but my father also worked for quite a few years as maintainace electrician at Howards Rotorvators and as a kid I remember there great Chrismas Parties all the best to you. David Bailey

Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 17/11/2011, 6:37 am
Hi Robin, sorry to take so long, but yes i was one of the Slaughters that lived in Kennel Lane Billericay, we moved there from Laindon around 1952 after being given the boot from our house in Hotwater Lane. Alas i am the only one left now and counting down, but hope to make it a bit longer. Now living in Sydney, but get back every few years. All the best Brian Slaughter

66.  Looking for an old friend
Posted by june newland nee bradford on 2/12/2010, 6:17 pm
hello please help me find.. lynne carter her dad was a taxi driver in laindon in the 70s she went to bluehouse school...her parents were northeners.

67.  Seeking an old friend from Basildon Aquatels
Posted by june newland nee bradford Email User on 2/12/2010, 7:18 pm
hello janet, june here we worked in basildon aquatels in 1972 i moved back north in 1975. l lived in danacre in laindon

68.  Pre-new town Basildon on Google Earth
Posted by Neil Paterson Email User on 10/12/2010, 8:26 pm
Hello all,
I thought it would be interesting to see where all the old pre new town roads corresponded to in present day Basilon so I have overlaid an old Basildon street map onto present day Basildon in Google Earth.

It's fascinating to see how much was swept away to make way for the town, and also how many of the current roads still follow the old routes.

Pre New Town Basildon on Google Earth

If you follow the link you can download the KMZ file and open it in Google Earth if you have it or there is the option to view it in your browser.

Neil

Re: Pre-new town Basildon on Google Earth
Posted by bruce bellamy Email User on 3/1/2011, 11:07 pm
Hi Neil.. thanks for doing this overlay.. I have been hoping to find the exact location of my old family home. stolen from us by the basildon development corporation. literally only last night I dug out an old street map of laindon/basildon, with view to doing the same as you have done.... however on seeing the map again after a very long time I realised that it is more a pictorial map therefore not very accurate.. to a certain extent your creation has proved that. I will now endeavour to find a more accurate map of old laindon. and in the event that I am successfull in finding a suitable map I wil make contact again...bruce

Posted by Helen Painter Email User on 10/1/2011, 8:35 pm
What a fantastic idea. I have been trying to work out for ages just where the original roads were in comparison to today's roads. This was so helpful, and so interesting.

Posted by Alan Hawkins Email User on 29/3/2011, 9:28 pm
Superb, my old home including St. Leonards Avenue long gone, so was nice to locate the position and pin the coordinates for future nostalgic viewing, Thanks.
Alan

69.  Greetings
Posted by Andrea Email User on 20/12/2010, 7:52 pm
Seasonal Greetings to all those reading and contributing to BASILDON HISTORY site. Thanks to Bill Cox for getting it together and for keeping it going. Looking forward to another interesting year ahead.
Andrea

Re: Greetings
Posted by ken page Email User on 21/12/2010, 11:10 am
A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all on this site. I've been enjoying it for a number of years now and it's got me in touch with old friends from years ago, best wishes to you all in Basildon and surrounding areas, from Ken Page Melbourne Australia

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 24/12/2010, 10:53 am
All the very best from me as well. I am looking forward to a Happier New Year for 2011, when I too also Hope to visit Oz, but for my first time.

Posted by Admin on 24/12/2010, 5:07 pm
As we approach the end of 2010 I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone who reads and contributes to the Basildon History message board a Very Merry Christmas and a prosperous new year.
Bill (Admin)

70.  christmas greetings
Posted by dave oakley Email User on 24/12/2010, 2:46 am
Well folks once again it's time to wish all associated with this website a 'VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR". Heres hoping the Chistmas / New Year break will refresh our memories regarding "GOOD OLD BASILDON'. Dave O.cute.gif

Click here for January - June 2010 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2011
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM