The Miller and Carter Steakhouse stands in High Road at the summit of Langdon Hills.
Inn has occupied this site for many centuries, being known for much of that time as the Crown Inn or Crown Hotel, or in more recent times as simply
The present building dates from 1856 and was so named as it stands on land formerly owned by the Crown.
The hill by which
it is approached from Basildon, or Laindon, is locally known as 'Crown Hill' and since c1965 is now duel carriageway to road traffic.
years it was operated by the Romford, Essex brewery chain Ind Coope (from 1934 Ind Coope & Allsopp).
addition to the public house is a beer garden and a parcel of land known as Crown Meadow, situated on the opposite side of High Road. This was used until the late 1980s or early 1990s as a cricket ground for the Langdon
Hills team and also as a sports day venue by Langdon Hills primary school. This is now overgrown and the pavilion, which was built by the brewery company in 1967 as a replacement for an earlier one, was destroyed
by fire in the late 1990s.
An entertainment/function hall was later built within the grounds which opened in 1923. This survived until around 1994 when it
was removed as part of the conversion to a Harvester. A small coat of arms once adorned the front facing wall. This appears to have gone missing
sometime in the 1990s, possibly during the same conversion to Harvester.
The building, which stands at the second highest location in Essex,
though much changed through the years, continues to prosper and from 24th March, 2017 became a Miller and Carter steakhouse following a ten week
conversion by owners Mitchells & Butlers, which began after its closure as a Harvester on 6th February.