blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Lee Chapel
blank.gif

North side of railway (now Lee Chapel North)

Former Property Names - 1 of 2


blank.gif
Almada AvenueBorthwick DriveFormer properties in Lee Chapel area.
Brentford AvenueChingford Drive
Church AvenueDarnley Avenue
Drakes AvenueEarl De-Essex Chase
Edgeware DriveElizabeth Drive
Fleet AvenueGreen Lane
Hendon AvenueHill Top Road
Hilly RoadLee Road
Lord Burleigh DriveMarkhams Chase
Mavis DrivePembroke Avenue
Phillips DrivePicard Avenue
Rathmore AvenueRavenswood Drive
Rayleigh DriveSpencer Avenue
Spinney RoadWalbrook Drive
Woottens LaneWootton Way
Street Map
A larger street plan from c.1950 showing Lee Chapel in more detail can be viewed here.
(The link will open in a new window.)
blank.gif
Address Property Name Property Type Known History Demolished
Almada Avenue
 Gordon HouseDetached BungalowSurvived the 1960s Lee Chapel North development and given a Mynchens address. Demolished in the early 1970s and replaced with detached house.1970s
Audeen   
Pinjarra   
Avon   
Florence   
Birchfield   
Woodleigh   
Borthwick Drive
 Sunray Lodge   
Halldene   
Spinney Lodge   
Janet   
Acorn   
Brentford Avenue
 Montrose   
Verajean   
Shamrock   
Evelyn   
Roberta   
Pat   
Rose Villa   
Manor Lodge   
Jesmond   
Sunnyside   
Crescent   
Roverdene   
Sunset   
Jessedene   
Pauline   
Florence   
Chingford Drive
 Whyteleaf   
Polperro   
Church Avenue
West SideFairmead   
Avonside   
Bell View   
White Rock   
Stanvera   
Rosefern   
Borrowdale   
Conneville   
Dorredene   
Wyndham   
Bubbles   
Roseview   
Mabelthorpe   
East SideRoberta   
The Gables   
Clovelly   
Marilyn   
The Kelsey   
Henley   
De Buse   
Wendy   
Inglenook   
Primrose   
Darnley Avenue
 Moldart   
Rose Cottage   
St. Chad   
Eva Lodge   
Sunnyside   
St. Georges   
Darnley Lodge   
Ruby Villa   
Norwood   
Orcombe   
Drakes Avenue
     
Earl De-Essex Chase
 Brookbank   
Oak View   
The Chase   
Brambleside   
Edgeware Drive
 Santa-Fe   
Gables   
Marina   
Sunnydale   
Agnbert   
Marion   
Santa Lucia   
Lingdale   
No.2   
Elizabeth Drive
 Chenies   
Florence   
Beaumont   
Marmora   
Rosedene   
Ivydene   
Idyll   
Ridgetop   
Lansdowne   
Lincoln Villa   
Eventide   
Shirley   
The Warwick   
Woodbine   
Marigold Cottage   
Senga   
Hedgeview   
Barlick   
Alice Dean   
The Cottage   
Keston   
Silvermere   
Mizpah   
Rosedale   
Raleigh   
Frances   
Sunnyside   
Winnick   
Rosebay   
Kenwood   
Cosy Nook   
Parma   
Sunnydene   
Lily Villa   
The Haven   
Jean Cottage   
Hilltop   
Ecclesbourne   
Glenerwood   
Donargor   
Resthaven   
Buena Vista   
Hartland   
The Firs   
Mysotis   
Frankholm   
Rose Cottage   
Sycamore   
The Hood   
SamarkandDetached BungalowSamarkand was the final property to be demolished in Elizabeth Drive. It survived the Lee Chapel North estate development, ongoing from around 1962, to around 1972 or 1973. Its address became Falstones but was never given a number. It also had a dropped kerb which existed to 2014. Some years later the site was cleared for use as a playing field and a single goal was erected. In the 1990s part of the playing field was taken when a sloping path to Laindon Link was created. In 2006 the remaining playing field was sold at an auction in London by owners English Partnerships, a later successor to Basildon Development Corporation. The new owners, J.P. Gattrell, then fenced off the land and submitted residential planning applications to the council, initially without success until 2014 when work began on building 5 residential dwellings (2 semi-detached and 1 detached) which were all sold for private occupation in 2015.c.1972/73
Hill View   
Whitegates   
Chattendale   
Ebenezer Gospel HallChurchConstructed in the 1920s and registered for the solemnisation of marriages from 15/11/1945 to 28/01/1963. Replacement building called Ingaway Chapel constructed and opened in Ingaway, Lee Chapel North in 1962.c.1963
Fleet Avenue
 Alconar   
Ronivee   
St. Anthony's Villa   
Henry's   
Ivycombe   
Standor   
James Villa   
Evelia   
Fides   
Elsaid   
Charlesville   
Wharncliff   
Argonaut   
Rosedale   
Green Lane
 Croft   
Tresillion   
HawthornsDetached BungalowSurvived the 1960s Lee Chapel North estate development and given a Falstones address.Occupied
Montello   
Halfway Shop   
Restawhyle   
Maureen   
Shamrock   
The Hut   
Laburnum   
Grasmere   
Shian Mor   
The Lilacs   
The Warren   
The Oaks   
Glenwood   
Cynara   
Contra   
Harmony   
The Nest   
The Chine   
Winnstella   
Rosemary   
Connemara   
The Glen   
The Mirador   
Brind Heath   
The Outlook   
St. Michael's Mission ChurchChurchWooden built structure in use from 1935 to the early 1960s. Replaced a former church that stood on the south side of the railway in Salisbury Avenue. 
Hendon Avenue
 Rosedene   
Hill Top Road
 Peacehaven   
Brownhill   
Iverwood   
Desideratum   
Ahoye   
Cosinook   
Bellmere   
Shangri-la   
Garrett Bungalow   
Hillbrook   
Hilly Road
West SideIvydale   
The Croft   
Sunrae   
East SideBolivar   
Hilly House   
Emprise   
Lee Road
     
Lord Burleigh Drive
 Oak View   
Burleigh House   
Thomas Villa   
Collindale   
Elenor   
Adavies   
Pemlaurel   
Loretto   
Elendale   
Victoria   
Linda   
Eurica   
St. Johns Lodge   
The Poplars   
Abbotsleigh   
Norfolk Lodge   
Ashdene   
Markhams Chase
West SideBluehouse Farm3 Storey FarmhouseDemolished in the early 1970s along with various outbuildings.1970s
The LodgeDetached BungalowLawrence's Shop from the 1930s until demolition in the early 1970s.1970s
Fullerton   
The Bungalow   
1 & 2 Bluehouse Cottages   
The Caralow   
Nicholas Lodge  1990s
East SideKashgar   
Eleanor   
Wisteria   
Mavis Drive
 Elenor   
Juniper Green   
Pembroke Avenue
 Irene Villa   
Glenavon   
Windsor   
Rose Villa   
Hendree   
Wee Doris   
Belmont   
Peacehaven   
Wynhope   
Phillips Drive
 Maytree   
Oakdene   
Picard Avenue
 Janson   
Hill View   
Floradale   
Rosedar   
Andrea   
Victory   
Kuming   
Rathmore Avenue
     
Ravenswood Drive
 Britton Villa   
Raleigh Drive
 Lowlands   
CadburyDetached BungalowPlot 272 and 273. Purchased in 1925. 
VillaDetached Bungalowplot 270 and 271. Purchased in 1925. 
St. Elmo   
Roseville   
Nirvana   
Dolvins Rest   
Church View   
Hazelwood   
Glendale   
Oak Hall   
Bexley   
Hannahford   
The Oaks   
Newry   
Joysee   
Campbell   
Louisa Villa   
Summerville   
Pearlville   
Spencer Avenue
 The George   
The Briars   
Betina   
Wallflower   
Deny's   
Hallsville   
Jean   
Mayville   
Vivian Villa   
The Retreat   
Le Beaumont   
Patsy   
St. Eloy   
Ernsley   
Albuhera   
Dawn   
Sylvia   
Glen Rosa   
Selaw   
Oakholme   
The Glen   
Kinross   
The Elms   
Hamilton   
St. Brelades   
Betana   
The Brannons   
Sunset   
Lilyville   
Woodville   
Roseville   
Hylver   
Mariedene   
Woodlands   
Spinney Road
 OckholmDetached BungalowStill standing in June 1962. 
Walbrook Drive
 Violet Villa   
Penge   
Shelia   
Selwood   
Walbrook   
(Lee) Woottens Lane
 Oakdene   
Sidmarie   
Sutton Lodge   
Wooton Way
     
blank.gif
Page added: 2003
blank.gif
Other points of interest:
A surviving bungalow property in Rayleigh Drive called St. Elmo in 1973 became the new Basildon headquarters of the Samaritans which it remains today, although the address has changed to 16 Little Lullaway.

Text researched and written 2003.
Copyright © 2003, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Former Property Names Laindon Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM