blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Laindon
blank.gif

High Road


blank.gif
High Road - Laindon High Road - Laindon High Road - Laindon
blank.gif
Location: High Road, Laindon
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 13/04/1991
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: Looking towards Parkinson's before the new police station was built in Durham Road.
Location: High Road, Laindon
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 13/04/1991
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: Wooden shop last used as a charity shop for retired pit ponys, later closed, it remained empty for a time before eventually being removed altogether.
Location: High Road, Laindon
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 13/04/1991
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: Traffic lights have yet to be installed at Northumberland Avenue/High Road junction.
blank.gif
High Road - Laindon High Road - Laindon High Road - Laindon
blank.gif
Location: High Road, Laindon
Photographer: Brian Baylis
Year of photo: 1975
Copyright: Brian Baylis
Source: Brian Baylis
Comments: J. Toomey Motors Ltd garage seen in 1975. Their forecourt hours of business then were Mon - Sat 8:00 - 7:00.pm & Sunday 9 - 2:30.
Location: High Road, Laindon
Photographer: Brian Baylis
Year of photo: 1975
Copyright: Brian Baylis
Source: Brian Baylis
Comments: High Road, Laindon.
Location: High Road, Laindon
Photographer: Brian Baylis
Year of photo: 1975
Copyright: Brian Baylis
Source: Brian Baylis
Comments: High Road, Laindon. Note the pavement dropped kerbs where from around 1957 to 1974 a zebra crossing was sited.
blank.gif
High Road - Laindon High Road - Laindon High Road - Laindon
blank.gif
Location: High Road, Laindon
Photographer: Brian Baylis
Year of photo: 1975
Copyright: Brian Baylis
Source: Brian Baylis
Comments: Little Oxcroft can be seen under development to the right of the High Road.
Location: High Road, Laindon
Photographer: Unknown
Year of photo: Circa 1940
Copyright: N/A
Source: N/A
Comments:
Location: High Road, Laindon
Photographer: Unknown
Year of photo: Circa 1920
Copyright: N/A
Comments: Commercial House on the corner of Windsor Road.
blank.gif
High Road - Laindon    
blank.gif
Location: High Road, Laindon
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 27/11/2002
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: Formerly Dick Barnes' butcher's shop.
blank.gif

High Road, Laindon in the early 1900s The High Road at Laindon is a continuation of the same road that began at the summit of Langdon Hills. Once designated B1007, and, between the station and Somerset Road once known as High Street or Station Road, it is single carriageway until the roundabout with Laindon Link and Somerset Road. There is then a duel section until the roundabout with St. Nicholas Lane and West Mayne.

Laindon War Memorial
Along this section and facing the High Road in front of the shopping centre is the Laindon War Memorial. This is a simple design and consists of a raised circular plinth with a central circular upright column, squared off and overlapping at the top, upon which stands a cross. The memorial is approximately 11 feet high and made from blue pear Aberdeen granite. It commemorates the two world wars and is inscribed: TO THE GLORIOUS DEAD 1914 - 1918 LAINDON AND DISTRICT 1939 - 1945 "AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN, AND IN THE MORNING, WE WILL REMEMBER THEM." It is non-denominational and there are no individual names inscribed. The War Memorial had originally stood in the grounds of the British Legion Hall - in space to the right side of the hall when facing - which was located just beyond Laindon High Road school where it was unveiled in 1935. The hall was compulsory purchased by the Basildon Development Corporation in 1975 and demolished soon after. Close by is a stone water fountain with the inscription:
In Commemoration of the Royal Silver Jubilee May 1935. Prior to the shoppping centre this had stood close to a wooden seat near the former junction with St. Nicholas Lane. It was returned to Laindon after being discovered in storage at Basildon Council's Barleylands depot.

The High Road then continues in single carriageway to the A127 Fortune-of-War roundabout. Through access to the remainder of the High Road via the roundabout is no longer possible since the roundabout was closed to right turns in the 1990s.High Road, Laindon in the early 1900s A new road - Willowfield - with an A127 overbridge, was constructed in the 1990s, and this links directly to the northern end of the High Road. The short section between the former Fortune-of-War roundabout and the Willowfield roundabout was renamed High Road North some years ago, and from the roundabout to Noak Hill Road is now called Wash Road (West).

The length of the High Road from Laindon railway station to the Fortune-of-War is approximately 1 to 1½ miles.

Page added: 2006
blank.gif
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2006 with revisions 2008.
Copyright © 2006, 2008, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Copyright
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Laindon Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM