blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Laindon High Road Shops & Properties (1)
blank.gif

Laindon High Road shops, houses, businesses and public buildings between Laindon Railway Station and St. Nicholas Lane.

For the properties between St. Nicholas Lane and the A127 Fortune-of-War junction follow this link.

Please note: This is a work in progress with updates as information becomes available. Where it exists, photographic evidence of the shop nameboard has been used in the naming of many of the businesses. An example is T.E. Collings, an ironmongers and electrical shop established by Thomas Elijah Collings. Other additional information where known is also included with each property.

blank.gif
1955
Laindon High Road Shops & Properties - East Side (1)
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Station Approach and Northumberland Avenue
NumberShop/House Name Business - Property TypeOpen/Built
approx.
Closed
Demolished
Still Exists
approx.
Station WharfJohnson & Co.
(Egbert Churchill Johnson, William George Boss, James Glanville)
Churchill Johnson
(Egbert Churchill Johnson)
Hadland's (John Hadland Ltd.) (Sankey's)
(relocated: J.H. Sankey Ltd, Denbigh Road, Laindon and at Sankey House, 81 High Road, Pitsea)
Timber & Building Supplies
(& at Vange Wharf (c.1925), High Road, Pitsea; High Street, Billericay (1920s); High Street, Wickford (1930s); Moulsham Street, Chelmsford (1930s))
Timber & Building Supplies
Pre-1922
c.1923
1964
1922
1964
1969
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Windsor Road and Essex Road
1K. Collins (Kate Collins) Cash Supply Stores
A.A. Kimm Fancy Stores
Coleman's
C. Hayes The Laindon Drug Stores
Henbest?
Miller & Davies (W.G. Miller & W.G. Davies)
Kentex Cleaners (& at Grays etc.)
Royal Liver Friendly Society (relocated: Clock House, Laindon Centre)
Hosiery, Haberdashery & Laindon Station Post Office
Drapery, Haberdashery
Fancy Goods, Drapery, Boots & Outfitter
Toilet Requisites, Fancy Goods
Tailors
Upholsters, Furnishers & Removal Contractors
Dry Cleaners & Dyers
Insurance
c.1900
--
--
--
c.1930s
--
Pre-1956
1960s
--
--
--
--
--
--
c.1970
1970s
1AUpper flat residence--1970s
3Raitt's Cash Stores (William R. Raitt)
Laindon Radio Electric Service & Music House
Council Rates Office
Edwin G. Moody agent for Good Listening
Laindon Library (relocated: 48 Laindon Centre)
Corn, Grocery & Confectionery
Electrical Goods (J.S. Johnson)
Billericay Urban District Council
Radio rental/buy/repairs
Essex County Library
Flat accommodation above (R.T. Howe - 1950-1)
c.1906
1930s
c.1940s
1950s
Pre /06/1955
--
--
c.1957
--
1970
5The Laindon Bon Marche
Woodley's
JEM
Household Goods
Sweet Shop/Tobacconist
Sweet Shop/Tobacconist
--
c.1932
Pre-1956
--
--
--
7A. Rawley (Alfred Rawley)
Burnie & Coleman (Norman D. Coleman)
Laindon Watch Repairs
Watson, Temple & Waymouth (relocated: Station Approach)
Laindon Insurance Brokers (relocated: 50 Clock House, Laindon Centre)
Estate Agent (Established 1919)
Solicitors
Watch, Clock & Jewellery repairs
Estate Agents
Motor Insurance
Two-storey extension to the original terrace of shops.
c.1932
1930s
c./11/1951
c.1955
c./09/1967
--
--
c.1950s
1968
c.1970
EntranceAccess to rear buildings.May have been numbered 9 on the plot layout when the land was divided up for the land sales that occurred in the late 1800s. c.19061970s
11AE. Lagden?
T.H. Scotcher
E. Hazelton (Ernest Hazelton)
E.C. Cole
S. Biggs
Fishmonger
Fishmonger
Fishmonger
Fishmonger
Fish Merchant
Single-storey shop not part of the original terrace.
c.1932
1936
1939
Pre-1952
--
--
1939
--
--
1970s
11John Thomas Roser
Laindon Hills & Laindon Co-Operative Society
Taee's Railway Boot Stores
The Laindon Dairy
J.W. Lagden (Jeremiah Lagden)
William Buckenham
Grocer & provision merchant
General Store
Footwear
Dairy & provision stores
Family Butcher
Butchers
--
24/04/1903
c.1910
c.1920
--
--
c.1902
c.1904
--
--
--
--
13AA.H. Hall Ltd.
Morris & Farmer Co. Ltd.
Fuel Suppliers (Voluntarily wound up: 1971)
Coal Merchant
/11/1969
c.1970
1970
1970s
13Unknown
A. Glenny & Son (Alexander Glenny) (& at Pitsea) (relocated: Freedom House, East Square, Basildon)
The New Town Press
Fruiterer & Greengrocer
Estate Agents & Chartered Surveyors
Printers
c.1910
Pre-1954
Pre /06/1956
--
1970s
1968
ArchwayAccommodation above
c.1910 Good Stabling (signboard)
Access entrance to rear buildings. c.19061970s
15Tea, Coffee, Cocoa Rooms
Laindon Dining Rooms
A.W. Coleman & Co. (Arthur William Coleman)
Hatten, Asplin, Jewers & Glenny
Refreshments
Refreshments
Solicitors (Namely those below)
Solicitors
c.1910
--
Pre-1947
--
--
--
--
1970s
17Payne & Brown?
Chas. Brown (Charles Brown) (relocated: 25 High Road)
G.H. Castle
Sid Farmer
G.W. Jeakins & Sons Ltd.
(George William Jeakins) + Removal & Storage at 117 Arterial Road, Laindon
Estate Agents
Estate Agent
Turf Accountant
Taxi Office
Taxi Office
Single-storey building
c.1920s
c.1930s
Pre /06/1956
--
--
1930s
1934
--
--
1970s
19No business or residency associated with this number.? --1970s
21Central Restaurant
Laindon Refreshment Rooms
Teas & Food
Same As above
Semi-detached house & shop joined with 23.
--
Pre-1926
--
--
23H.A. Chartres (Harry Arthur Chartres)
Blackwell of Laindon (Alfred C. Blackwell)
Newsagent, Tobacconist, Confectionary
Newsagent, Tobacconist, Confectionary
Semi-detached house & shop joined with 21.
Pre-1924
1948
c.1942
c.1972
25Donald, Leslie & Co., Ltd.
Chas. Brown
A. Briley
Builders Merchants (and at Leyton and Walthamstow)
Estate Agent
Electrician
Single-storey building
c.1932
1934
1950s
c.1934
--
--
27S. Smith (Sidney Smith)
Donald, Leslie & Co., Ltd.
Doris's
(Mrs. Doris Tranter)
General builders' requisites
Builders Merchants (and at Leyton and Walthamstow)
Ladies & Children's Hair Stylists
Detached shop & upper residence
Pre-1926
c.1932
1940
--
--
27/06/1970
29Donald, Leslie & Co., Ltd.
Secondhand Shop
Builders Merchants (and at Leyton and Walthamstow)
Agent for Ebenezer Laundry
Single-storey shop joined to 31 High Road.
c.1932
--
--
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
31Morris's (Emanuel Morris)Ladies, Gent's & Children's Outfitters
Semi-detached house residence
Pre-1926Pre /03/1962
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
33Morris's (Emanuel Morris)Ladies, Gent's & Children's Outfitters
Semi-detached house residence
Pre-1926Pre /03/1962
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
35Number not associated with property or business.  ----
37Number not associated with property or business.  ----
39G.J. Smith (& at Palmers Green)
Cramphorn
Corn, Seed & Pet Food Merchant
Seed Merchant
Detached single-storey pitched roof shop.
--
1932
--
Post /03/1959
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
41Bata
Basildon Blinds Division (Art Shop)
Shoe shop
Authorised agents for all leading makes of venetion and roller blinds
Semi-detached house residence joined with No. 43.
Pre-1952
1968
--
--
43Fuller?

Paramount Electrical & Radio Store
(John Slaughter)
Electrical Goods, Repairs & Accummulator Charging
Same As Above.
Flat accommodation above shop.
Semi-detached house residence joined with No. 41.
--

1940s
--

--
45Morris's
Tom Card
Greengrocer
Fishmonger
End shop of single-storey 3 shop parade joined to 47 & 49.
c.1923
--
--
--
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
47?Morris's (Sydney Morris)
J.W. Gibson (James William Gibson)
Greengrocer
Greengrocer
Middle shop of single-storey 3 shop parade joined to 45 & 49.
c.1920s
c.1930s
1930s
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
49?

Zebra Crossing
(est. 1957)
Bassett & Sons (Custom House) Ltd.
(Branches at 29/31 Moulsham Street, Chelmsford, East Ham, Barking and Custom House)
Furniture, bedding, hardware and floor coverings
End shop of single-storey 3 shop parade joined to 47 & 45.
Uncontrolled (zebra) crossing resited 1974.
1950sPost /06/1964
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
51?Sid T. Salt & SonsShoe Repairs
Detached single-storey shop
----
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
53?J.G. Cottis & Son (Cottis's Bakery)
(John Godfrey Cottis)
Baker & Confectioner
Detached single-storey shop
Pre-1930s--
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
55?Larry HewittSecond Hand Shop
Detached single-storey shop
----
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
--F. RustConfectioner & Tobacconist, Teas & Light Refreshments c.1932--
--Blue House Farm DairyProduce from their own farms c.1923--
P.O.
Crown Office
Post Office (relocated: 20 Laindon Shopping Centre)Post Office and Sorting Office and from 01/05/1954 to 03/07/1963 Basildon Head Post Office.
Head Postmaster: Mr. Charles Harmon (1950);
Mr. Ronald Reed (from 01/05/1954).
Pre-/08/19501971
Victoria LodgeDetached bungalowResidence --Demolished
Pre /11/1967
Balmoral HouseBerry Boys Training CentreDetached house residence 1950sDemolished
Pre /11/1967
PrimroseThe Primrose Café (F.W. Ellett)
The Laindon Wireless Stores
Percy M. Barister (first floor)
Laindon Old People's Welfare Committee (relocated: former Burles shop, High Road)
Tobacconist/Café
Wireless sets and parts service
Hairdressing Saloon
Rest Room & Canteen
Detached house residence
Pre-1923
1920s
1930s
01/11/1958
1950s
--
--
--
Demolished
Pre /11/1967
61
Dorset House
Ministry of Social Security
Supplementary Benefits & General Enquiries
(relocated: 45 Bowlers Croft, Honywood Road, Nevendon)
1962c.1969
Basildon Development CorporationLettings office and other uses.
This square single-storey temporary demountable type building (set back from the High Road on land cleared from previous development) was erected between the post office and Dorset Parade during 1967 and served the area until the early 1970s prior to the construction of Laindon 4 housing estate.
19671970s
? Dorset ParadeSouthern Counties Estate OfficeEstate Agents? 1936--
13 Dorset ParadeClifton Stores (Martin Jones & Mrs. Jones)
Spencer's Stores (T.J. Spencer)
Groceries
Groceries
Pre /11/1944
Pre /06/1961
1961
1962
12 Dorset ParadeMinistry of Food
Youth Employment Office
Welcome Cafe (Cecil Walter Harris)
Sub-Food Office
Employment
Cafe
Pre /03/1951
--
--
--
--
12A Dorset Parade Upper residence  
11 Dorset ParadeHarris (Fred or William Harris?)Gent's Hairdresser --?
11A Dorset Parade Upper residence --?
10 Dorset ParadeUndeveloped plot.
No business or property associated with this number.
9 Dorset ParadeUndeveloped plot.
No business or property associated with this number.
8 Dorset ParadeUndeveloped plot.
No business or property associated with this number.
7 Dorset ParadeParagon
J. Rouse
R. & H. Abbott - Agents: Foyle's Lending Library
Cammish
Keil Kraft model kits
D.I.Y. Handyman's Shop
Tobacconist's, Sweets
Fancy goods, smokers' requisites
Fancy goods, smokers' requisites & model plane kits
Fancy goods, tobacconist
Model Aircraft kits & Toys
Tools, Paint & Wood
--
1940s
1949
Pre /06/1956
--
c./11/1967
--
1949
--
--
--
1960s
7A Dorset Parade Upper residence  
7B Dorset Parade Upper residence  
6 Dorset ParadeJ.E. Green
Chas. Markham
Gale & Brown (relocated: Clock House, 50 Laindon Main Centre, Laindon)
(Albert Gale)
Builders Merchant
Dairy
Chartered Accountants
1936
--
--
--
--
--
6A Dorset Parade Upper residence  
5 Dorset ParadeHenbest & Son
(Allan Charles Henbest Snr. & Allan Henbest Jnr.)
The Kelvinator Launderama
Ladies, Gent's & Children's Outfitters

Launderette
c.1943
09/11/1967
c.1960

1970s
5A Dorset Parade Upper residence  
4 Dorset ParadeMr. Copping
Dollond & Aitchison (relocated: 32 Southernhay, Basildon)
C.E. Wignall (Charles Wignall)
Dentist
Ophthalmic Opticians
Turf Accountant
--
Pre-1952
c.1962
--
/06/1962
1970s
4A Dorset Parade Upper residence  
3 Dorset ParadeMays Hairdressing Saloons
Hair Styling By Gibbs
Eileens
Hairdressers
Hairdressers (George C. Gibbs)
Confectionery, Tobacco, Haberdashery & Wools
1939
1950
c./11/1967
--
Post /06/1964
1970s
3A Dorset Parade Upper residence  
2 Dorset ParadeCurtisShoe Repairs & Leather Goods ----
2A Dorset Parade Upper residence  
1 Dorset ParadeModern Furnishing Stores
Laindon Furnishing Stores (F.C. Smith)
A.J. Curtis & Sons (& at 47 High Street, Billericay)
Surridge Dawson
Furniture, lino, rugs
Complete House Furnishers
Shoe Shop
Wholesale Newspaper Distributors
1936
1940s
1940s
1962
--
--
c./02/1962
1970s
1A Dorset Parade Upper residence  
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Essex Road and Laindon Link
 Eve's Little Beauty ShoppeLadies and Children's Hairdressing c.1932--
YardCarey Brothers (later Carey's)
(relocated: C & L Carey Ltd, Denbigh Road, Laindon)
Ironmonger, Timber & Builders Merchant Pre-19231970s
Public ConvenienceToilets c.19511970s
Laindon LinkLaindon Link, designated Road No.5 on Basildon Development Corporation's master plan of the new town, was under construction from the mid 1950s linking Laindon to the original Roundacre roundabout at Basildon. It was completed to through traffic in 1958.
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Laindon Link and Ulster Road
 Pyramid Electrical RewindsElectrical Repairers (Opp. Radion) 1952--
Maple Lodge Detached bungalow residence Pre-1918Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
Oak VillaA.G. Butler & Son
(Harold English)
(Eric English)
(relocated: 31 Laindon Centre)
Funeral Director & Monumental Mason, Horse & Motor Carriage Proprietor.
By November 1967 Oak Villa was the last remaining property between St. Nicholas Lane and Laindon Link. The undertaker's business, run by Harold English, d. c.1968, and his partner brother Eric, had served the community for over 60 years and remained to approx. December 1969 when it became one of the first to move into a unit at the new Laindon Shopping Centre (Opened Monday 1st December, 1969) where it remains today though now known as Butler & English. The property was probably demolished in the early months of 1970.
Detached house residence
c.1900s
Pre-1936
 
 
/12/1969
Demolished
c.1970
Jireh Detached bungalow residence --Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
DaisybankDoctors Surgery
Dr. David R. Gilder
Dr. Dharm Sheel Chowdhary
Dr. Noel George Rubie
Family residence of Dr. Chowdhary
Detached house residence
 
c.1920s
1930s
1950s
 
 
1930s
1959
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
OrizabaMr. F.D. Ruffler M.S.F. M.S.S.CH. (relocated: Penryn, High Road, Laindon)Physiotherapist. Chiropody & Massage Surgery.
Prior to 1953 Mr Ruffler advertised these services from his home address which was Kalomeros, Thames View Drive, Langdon Hills.
Detached bungalow residence
Pre-1929
c.1953
--
/01/1963
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
Streatham
J.W. Atkins Ltd
Streatham was the home and business address of Mr. Atkins from 1954 until compulsory purchased in 1961.
Residence
Builder & Decorator
Detached 3 bedroomed bungalow with detached garage.
Pre-1929
Pre-1949
1954
--
--
1961
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
AvondaleOperated as a lodging house by George Heydenreich and Amelia Louise Heydenreich (nee Dowling,) with her daughter and Mr Charles & Violet Constable and son John Constable b.1926. In operation from 1925 up to about 1930 and then used as a surgery by Dr. D.S. Chowdhary at least up to 1945.Detached house residence c.1911Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
Glen Rosa Detached house residence c.1911Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
Elinor Detached bungalow residence --Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Ulster Road and St. Nicholas Lane
WhitethornH. Gibbons & Son (c.1923)
William Henry Gibbons
Coal & Coke Merchant & A.G. Butler Funeral Car Storage
Residence
Pre-1929Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
? St. Nicholas ParadeEthel J. MoorcroftDrapers, Ladies' and Children's Wear
(& at 24 High Road (1950s))
House residence
1940sDemolished
Pre-/11/1967
St. Nicholas ParadeBaigent Printing Service (E.J. Baigent & Sons)
Edwin R.F. Mills (relocated: 564 Whitmore Way, Fryerns)
Ritefit Juveniles Ltd. (Baigent (Clothing) Works)
New Town Textiles Ltd. (relocated: 14-16 Gibcracks, off Timberlog Lane, Barstable)
Laindon Press (Edwin Joseph Baigent, d. 23/07/1935)
Childs Wear (Baigent works)
Dress Factory
Children's wear
Ladies' wear
1920s
c.1950
c./09/1953
c.1960
--
c.1959
c.1960
c./04/1962
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
? St. Nicholas ParadeMinistry of Labour
(relocated: Dorset House, 61 High Road, Laindon)
Ministry of Labour & National Service
Labour Exchange & National Insurance
Single-storey building
1950c.1961
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
4 St. Nicholas ParadeTed Underdown (E.G. Underdown) White City Fish Shop
J.W. Hewitt
Wet & Dry Fish Shop
Fish & Chip Shop
--
--
--
c.1962
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
3 St. Nicholas ParadeCharsleys
(Frederick G. Charsley)
Shoe Shop and at 36 High Road, Laindon
(Closing down sale announced September, 1961)
Upper flat residence
1940sc./09/1961
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
ArchwayAccommodation aboveAccess entrance to rear buildings. --Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
2 St. Nicholas ParadePearks StoresGrocerys --Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
St. RowlandsElliott'sHairdresser
Residence
--Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
1 St. Nicholas ParadeDorothy (Gatley) &
(John) Douglas
Douglas Salon
Hairdresser & Sweet Shop
Residence
--Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
 G.H. Gatley & Son (George H. & Cecil H. Gatley)
Alfred Maulkin - B.E. Maulkin
Williamson
Family Butchers
Butchers
Butchers
Residence
1936
1950
--
--
--
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
Ashleys
The Bell
Achille Serre (pronounced Ashley Sear)
Bell Cleaners (Essex dry cleaning chain with shops at 22 High Road, Vange (March 1952), Wickford, 93 High Street, Billericay & 3 Long Riding, Basildon (1955))
Dry Cleaners (Walthamstow based dry cleaning chain)
Bell (Cleaners & Dyers) Ltd. Dry Cleaners
Upper flat residence
c.1940s
 

1950s
--
 

Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
 Greens Stores (Ilford) Ltd.Branches throughout Essex.
Grocery's & Provisions
--Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
St. Peter's HallOpened as St. Nicholas' Church Institute.
In use early 1960s as the Laindon Sub-Office for the registration of birth, deaths and marriages.
Hall
/11/1929Demolished
Post /11/1967
Royal Jubilee FountainUnveiled in May 1935, the Silver Jubilee Fountain stood at the junction with St. Nicholas Lane close to a wooden seat. It commemorates 25 years of the reign of King George V (06/05/1910-20/01/1936). It was removed, probably in the late 1960s when a short stretch of the High Road between St. Nicholas Lane and Laindon Link was duelled during the construction of Laindon shopping centre, or as part of the planned realignment and duelling of a short length of St. Nicholas Lane (later B148) to the High Road in the early 1970s. It was rediscovered in the 1970s and returned to the High Road where it now stands in front of the shopping centre adjacent to the war memorial.
blank.gif
Page added: 2006
blank.gif
Other points of interest:
(1) Windsor Road no longer exists. Its previous course alongside the Winston Social Club is now a public footpath having been extinguished in the 1970s. Previously traffic, particularly taxis, had used it as a short cut to Hatterill at a time when Northumberland Avenue's new shortened length had no through access. To prevent this it had been necessary to install concrete bollards at the Hatterill end.

(2) Essex Road and Ulster Road no longer exist. The former disappeared in the 1970s when Basildon Development Corporation's Oxcroft's housing estate (Laindon 4) was constructed, and the latter when the shopping centre was created during the 1960s.

(3) The odd number property identification was in use from the early 1920s though probably dates from the late 1890s/early 1900s when the first buildings near the railway station end were constructed.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2006 with revisions and additions 2006-2015.
Copyright © 2006-2015, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Laindon Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM