blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Laindon High Road Shops & Properties (2)
blank.gif

Laindon High Road shops, houses, businesses and public buildings between St. Nicholas Lane and the A127 Fortune-of-War junction.

For the properties between Laindon Railway Station and St. Nicholas Lane follow this link.

Please note: This is a work in progress with updates as information becomes available. Where it exists, photographic evidence of the shop nameboard has been used in the naming of many of the businesses. An example is T.E. Collings, an ironmongers and electrical shop established by Thomas Elijah Collings. Other additional information where known is also included with each property.

blank.gif
Laindon High Road Shops & Properties - East Side (2)
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between St. Nicholas Lane and Nichol Road
NumberShop/House Name Business - Property TypeOpen/Built
approx.
Closed
Demolished
Still Exists
approx.
Greenhaugh
Hiawatha










St. Teresa's Church Hall



Phil Morris House




Century Place
Doctor's Surgery
An early occupant of Hiawatha, then Greenhaugh, was wealthy businessman Harry Foulger around the mid 1900s. Its name was changed to Hiawatha sometime after 1911 and was used as a doctors surgery from at least the 1930s to the late 1960s when a new surgery opened at No.1 Danacre adjacent to the (then under construction) Laindon shopping centre. Following closure of the surgery jumble sales were sometimes held within the downstairs rooms. The house was demolished around 1970 when St. Nicholas Lane was being realigned.
St. Teresa's church hall was then constructed on the site of Hiawatha, which was in use by 1971. This was later occupied from 1996 by local housing landlord Basildon Community Housing Association (now Swan Housing Association), who renamed the building Phil Morris House, after the associations' chairman. Swan Housing vacated in the late 2000s. The building stood empty for a number of years with planning applications having been submitted for its demolition and replacement with residential housing. It was finally demolished in June 2012 and a single terraced row of 6 houses called Century Place now fronts the High Road.
The access road was later named Morris Court which leads on to a residential development.
 
Dr. Douglas Craig
Dr. Everard Henderson
Dr. Samuel Long
Dr. John Z. Garson
Dr. Anthony Millwood
Dr. Ranwir Singh Thakur (from 1972 Ranvier Singh Bass)
St. Teresa's Church Hall
Phil Morris House
Century Place
Pre-1907
Pre-1930
c.1936
--
--
1963
--
1971
1996
2013
c.1970
--
--
--
1963
c.1968
c.1968
c.1996
/06/2012
1 North ParadeBuilders Merchants (James Edward Bassett)
O.F. Polden (Oliver Frederick Polden)
North Parade Stores (Arthur W. Shotter)
Building Materials
Grocery & Preovisions
Grocery & Provisions
Upper residence
1920s
c.1932
1940s
--
--
--
Demolished
2 North ParadeTate & Sons
P. Hatherall (Simon & Phyllis Wells)
Ling's
House Furnishers
House Furnisher, China, Glass, Oil and Domestic Stores
Cycles, Toys, Triang, Mobo & Sports goods
Upper residence
c.1923
c.1932
1950
--
--
--
Demolished
3 North ParadeThe Geisha
Boons (J.E.S. Boon)
Dainty Cafe, Confectionery & Tobacconist and Post Office
Newsagent & Post Office
Upper residence
c.1923
1930s
1930s
1970s
Demolished
4 North ParadeViolet Butler
Ethel Moorcroft
Drapery & Wool Shop
Drapery and Wool Shop
Upper residence
1931
c.1961
/07/1961
--
Demolished
5 North ParadeThe Challenger
(Samuel B. Youngs) (relocated: 26 Laindon Centre)
Off Licence c.1940s1970
Demolished
Sunnydale Residence c.1911?
MorningsideGrocery, Provisions & Corn. (Pre-1923)
National Deposit Friendly Society (A. Butler)
Residence Pre-1911?
Halstead Residence Pre-1929?
Marilyn End terrace housePre-1949Occupied
? Mid terrace housePre-1949Occupied
Chi? End terrace housePre-1949Occupied
Polpero End terrace housePre-1949Occupied
Pendeen Mid terrace housePre-1949Occupied
Greylings End terrace housePre-1949Occupied
Millport Detached bungalow Pre-1929Occupied
MaredaThe Little Shop
Rico Daniels (later became T.V. Discovery Channel d.i.y. handyman The Salvager)
Wellcare Veterinary Centre (demolished & rebuilt as same)
The Wool Shop
Second Hand Collectables
Vet
--
1980s
1990s
--
--
2003
Occupied
Fair Natal Residence c.1911--
CondonS.R. Sizer & Son - Family Butchers
(Sidney R. Sizer) (Sidney Richard Sizer)
Butchers Pre-/03/19321950s
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Nichol Road and Pauls Road
The Retreat Residence c.1911?
Langthorn Residence Pre-1929?
Charlesworth Residence Pre-1929?
Mayville Residence Pre-1929?
Homehurst Residence c.1911?
Le Chalet Residence Pre-1929?
Pilton Residence Pre-1929?
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Pauls Road and Tavistock Road
York VillaSemi-detached with Ceylon VillaSemi-detached house
Residence
Pre-1911Occupied
Ceylon VillaSemi-detached with York VillaSemi-detached house
Residence
Pre-1911Occupied
Bellingham Residence Pre-1911?
Yenbund Residence Pre-1949?
The GablesResidential block possibly built on the site of Bellingham and Yenbund.Residential flats Post 1980Occupied
blank.gif
Page added: 2006
blank.gif
Other points of interest:
(1) Vehicular access to Tavistock Road is now accessed from Holst Avenue following the latters construction in the 1950s.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2006 with revisions and additions 2006-2015.
Copyright © 2006-2015, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Laindon Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM