blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Laindon High Road Shops & Properties (2)
blank.gif

Laindon High Road shops, houses, businesses and public buildings between Victoria Road and the A127 Fortune-of-War junction.

For the properties between Laindon Station overbridge and Victoria Road follow this link.

Please note: This is a work in progress with updates as information becomes available. Where it exists, photographic evidence of the shop nameboard has been used in the naming of many of the businesses. An example is Broadway Radio Service, a household electrical shop. Other additional information where known is also included with each property.

blank.gif
Laindon High Road Shops & Properties - West Side (2)
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Victoria Road and King Edward Road
NumberShop/House Name Business - Property TypeOpen/Built
approx.
Closed
Demolished
Still Exists
approx.
Laindon Police StationTwo-storey building c.1930s13/11/1967
Demolished
Sergeant's
House
 Residence Pre-1949c.1969
Demolished
Constable's House Residence Pre-1949c.1969
Demolished
FernleighSemi-detached houseResidence c.1957Occupied
Ben VenutoSemi-detached HouseResidence c.1957Occupied
Compton Walk
Sunnymead StoresW.C. Sayer (William Sayer)
F.J. Sloper (Frank Sloper)
S. Clark (Nobby Clark)
Provisions
Grocery Shop
Semi-detached upper residence
1940s
c.1950
c.1960
c.1950
c.1960
--
Demolished
Handy Stores
North Parade P.O.
Mr. Boxhall
Henry J. Gower
Leonard E. Gower
Handy Stores - Sub Post-Office
Post box/Telephone box on forecourt
Semi-detached upper residence
1940sDemolished
YardleyGeorge A. Brockwell Ltd.Removals & Storage
(Haulage Contractor)
Detached bungalow residence
1930sDemolished
BelgraveSidney CliffordFruiterer, Greengrocer & Florist
Detached bungalow residence
1920sc.1962
Demolished
Sheila?Hatherall's Stores?
(Albert S. Jellows)
Ironmonger Pre-1950c.1950s
Demolished
The Rosary Residence --Demolished
Nurses CottageDistrict Nurse
(Rosina M. Broom)
Detached house & residence 1932Occupied
Coombe Martin
renamed Little Oaks
 End terrace house & residence c.1911Occupied
Coulsworthy Mid terrace house & residence c.1911Occupied
Wyndcliff End terrace house & residence c.1911Occupied
FootpathFootpath linking High Road and Tattenham RoadFor many years was referred locally as Pelham's Alley. --In use
6 BroadwayPelham (P. Pelham)
Keith's (Keith Cullis) (relocated: 41 Laindon Centre)
Newsagent
Newsagent
Upper residence
Pre-1949
1960s
--
/10/1970
5 BroadwayDangerfield's (Alfred Dangerfield)
Peters (relocated: 6 Laindon Centre)
Grocers
Ladies' & Gent's Hair Fashions
Upper residence
Pre-1949
19/05/1966
1960s
1970
4 BroadwayA.M.A. Portable & Permanent Building Works Ltd.
(Albert F. Moffatt & A. Allen)
A. & J. Ashton
Timber/Asbestos/Builders Merchants
Timber & Builders Merchants
Bungalow residence
c.1930
1959
 
--
2000s
Occupied
1 BroadwayThe Variety Stores
(Fred Rumsby) then (Roderick & Eileen Darroch)
Drapery, Toys, Games, Chemists' Sundries, Fancy Goods, Stationery, Wools & Knitwear
Upper residence
1950s--
2 BroadwayBroadway Radio Service (Sidney P. Willis) then (Albert Langrish)Radio & T.V. Specialists, Cycle & Electrical Accessories
Upper residence
1950--
3 BroadwayAnderson's
Express Repair Service (S. Wray)
renamed Express Shoe Service c.1962 (relocated: 29 Laindon Centre)
Shoe repairs
Shoe repairs
Residence
--
c.1950s
c.1950s
c./02/1970
1-6King Edward Terrace3 Semi-detached residences
Built by Billericay U.D.C. as rental properties.
1947Occupied
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between King Edward Road and Archer Road
7-8King Edward TerraceSemi-detached residences
Built by Billericay U.D.C. as rental properties.
1947Occupied
Langside Bungalow residence
Replaced with new housing.
Pre-19491980s
Demolished
Laindon High Road School

James Hornsby High School
Secondary School
Secondary School
A caretakers house called School House was built within the school grounds in the early 1970s which survived to the 2007 demolition.
The First Steps Day Nursery used the former 6th form block from the late 1990s into the 2000s.
1928
01/09/1998
31/08/1998
Closed 31/08/2000
Demolished
May/Jun/2007
British Legion Hall

Laindon War Memorial
Hall
The Temple of Light Christian Spiritualist Church held services here for approximately 27 years to April 1973 when their own church, built in Bedford Road, Laindon opened. They continued to use the hall for jumble sales until 1975. Also the original site of the Laindon war memorial from 09/1935 to the 1970s.
Replaced with two detached houses.
c.1934C.P.O. 1975
Demolished
BerwickL.A.M. Stubbs
(Leonard Stubbs)
Builder's & Builder's Merchant's (est. 1921)
Detached bungalow
Pre-19361937
Occupied
Westmount Detached bungalow Pre-1949Occupied
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Archer Road and Arterial Road
LanghamL.A.M. Stubbs & Son
(Leonard Stubbs)
Builder's & Builder's Merchant's (est. 1921)
Yard to rear of property
Residence
1937--
Demolished
Stoney Point Residence Pre-1949Demolished
Summerville Residence Pre-1949Demolished
Joyville Residence Pre-1949Demolished
1 School ParadeJoseph WisemanGreengrocers
End shop of 3 shop parade joined to No.2 & No.3.
House with upper residence
Pre-19491970s
Demolished
2 School ParadeW.J. Weedon (William Weedon)Newsagent/Tobacconist/Stationer/Confectioner
Mid shop of 3 shop parade joined to No.1 & No.3.
House with upper residence
Pre-19491970s
Demolished
3 School ParadeHoward's DairiesDairy
End shop of 3 shop parade joined to No.2 & No.1.
House with upper residence
Pre-19491970s
Demolished
HerebyeBuckenham (William Buckenham)
Dick Barnes
Sofa Bed Co.
Butchers
Butchers
Furniture & Bedding
Detached two-storey shop/residence
1939
--
--
Post-1958
--
Occupied
blank.gif
Page added: 2006
blank.gif
Other points of interest:
In the 1950s Roberts Road was extended to form a junction with the High Road.

Various properties were demolished in the 1950s/60s where then new housing, in the form of Compton Walk and Archibald Terrace now stand.

In the late 1970s a small industrial estate was constucted (now called Laindon North Business Park) and to allow access a new road, Hemmells, was built partially over Archer Road where it joined the High Road. Archer Road still remains and is now accessed from Hemmells.

In the 2000s a new residential road, School Avenue, was built off the High Road directly through the site of the former High Road senior school.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2006 with revisions and additions 2006-2015.
Copyright © 2006-2015, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Laindon Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM