blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Laindon
blank.gif

Laindon War Memorial


blank.gif
Laindon War Memorial War Memorial, Laindon War Memorial, High Road, Laindon
blank.gif
Location: High Road
Photographer: J.C. Photography
Year of photo: 16/05/2013
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: Laindon War Memorial.
Location: High Road
Photographer: J.C. Photography
Year of photo: 16/05/2013
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: Laindon War Memorial. Note blue hoarding in the background where Clock House use to stand.
Location: High Road
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 16/05/2013
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: War Memorial with George V Jubilee Bowl in the background.
blank.gif

The Laindon War Memorial originally stood in the grounds of a hall used by the British Legion in High Road, Laindon. It was unveiled on Saturday 21st September, 1935 commemorating those that died in the Great War (1914-1918).

It stood set back facing the High Road to the right of, though inline, with the front of the hall in its own space on a layered concrete plinth. The only additional decoration was an ornate chain fence supported by posts around the edge of the plinth.

Its design is a simple circular column of blue pear Aberdeen granite topped with an ornate flat base upon which stands a cross.

Around 1975 the hall and grounds, which stood next to the Laindon School, were sold - two detached houses now occupy the site - and the war memorial was removed from the site and stored, according to popular belief, at Basildon Council's Barleylands depot. It was eventually resited in the High Road in front of the Laindon Shopping Centre. Basildon Council are now responsible for its maintenance.

Plaque
A memorial plaque bearing the names of those that fell in the two world wars is also thought to have existed and possibly removed at the same time as the memorial. So far no positive information has come to light to confirm a plaque, or if it existed its current whereabouts.

Inscription
The non-denominational memorial commemorates both world wars and is inscribed in capital letters:

TO
THE GLORIOUS
DEAD
1914 - 1918
LAINDON AND DISTRICT
1939 - 1945
AT THE GOING DOWN
OF THE SUN, AND IN
THE MORNING, WE
WILL REMEMBER THEM.

The memorial does not have any individual names inscribed.

Presuming that part or all of the inscription with the exception of the Second World War years was present at the unveiling, as yet, no date has been established to determine when the additional dates or wording was added.

Although originally sited within the grounds of the British Legion Hall; as it became known, the war memorial was not the property of the Laindon branch of the British Legion but presented as a gift to the people of the district by Mr. Albert Symes of Primrose Hill, Brentwood, who founded around 1882, the respected building & civil engineering company A.E. Symes Ltd, then based at Brentwood and Carpenters Road, Stratford.

The opening ceremony was performed by one of Mr. Symes daughters, Mrs Ivy McLachlan, aided by the Rector of Laindon, Rev. Michael Lake and Rev. Tom Shepherd, of the Laindon Baptist Church.

In 2010 Basildon Council announced plans to move the war memorial again to a new site as the Laindon Shopping Centre will eventually be redeveloped. Proposals for its resiting were considered and a choice of location between either the British Legion's new headquarters at The Triangle, Langdon Hills or another suitable site in High Road, Laindon. It was decided that the memorial will remain in Laindon and eventually move to a new site in the High Road adjacent to Worthing Road.

Page added: 2013

Other points of interest
(1) Albert Eli Symes, b.1872 d.13/10/1936, age 64.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2013.
Copyright © 2013, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Copyright
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Laindon Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM