blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Langdon Hills
blank.gif
The Summit, Langdon Hills
Basildon District (now Borough) boundary at Crown Hill in 2002

Langdon Hills Land Sale 1897

Langdon Hills

The Parish of Langdon Hills was once part of Orsett Rural District. The Orsett Rural District was formed in 1894 and survived to 1936. In 1934 parts of Langdon Hills were removed and became part of the new Billericay Urban District. The remainder of Langdon Hills, in 1936, became part of the newly formed Thurrock Urban District, now known as Thurrock, a unitary authority with borough status.

In the 1800s the publisher William White of Sheffield produced a small history of Langdon Hills in his yearly gazeteer and directory.

Reproduced here is the entry information for Langdon Hills from the 1848 edition.

LAINDON HILLS, or Langdon Hills, a scattered village and parish, on a lofty eminence, 5 miles South of Billericay, and 8 miles North of Tilbury Fort, has 288 inhabitants, and 1775 acres of land.

The hill on which this parish stands is about a mile in length and breadth, and its summit commands one of the finest prospects in England, extending over the vale of the Thames from London to the Nore. From the north, the ascent of the hill is gradual, but its other sides rise abruptly. Pleasure parties from the metropolis and other places often assemble round a large tree at the highest point, to enjoy the extensive and delightful view, in which is seen the broad bosom of the Thames for a distance of nearly forty miles, thickly studded with steam and sailing vessels; and a wide range of country in this county and Kent.

The manor of Laindon was held at the Conquest by Suene of Essex, and afterwards passed to the Langedon and Sutton families, but reverted to the Crown in 1382. It now belongs to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London, together with the manor of West Lee, which was anciently a separate parish, but was united to this parish in 1432, and the site of its church is now unknown.

West Lee belonged to Edeva, before the Conquest, and to the Canons of St. Paul's at the Norman Survey. Edward II. granted to it the immunity that no King's purveyor should take any corn within its precincts. An estate here was given by Thomas White, D.D., as an endowment of the five scholarships and the professorship of moral philosophy, founded by him at Oxford, in 1621.

The manor of Goldsmiths, in Laindon Hills, is held by Mrs. Baker, and was formerly held by the Malgrave, Archer, Andrews, Askham, Cotton, and Hatton families. In the parish is a large wood, belonging to Mr. Dimsdale.

The Church (St. Mary and All Saints), stands on the western side of the hill, and has a nave, chancel, and north chapel.

The discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at 10.3s.9d., and in 1831 at 255. is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Pauls, and incumbency of the Rev. R.C. Packman, B.A.

The inhabitants of any note are listed as:

James Cockerell, blacksmith
Rev. Robert Collier Packman B.A., rector (and minor canon of St. Paul's)
James Ramplee, victualler, Crown Inn

Farmers:

James Buckenham
James Cockshead
James Ely
John Giblin
Joseph Kirkham, Malgraves
William Parker
Thomas Sadler
Samuel William Squier
Samuel Westwood

Source: William White's History, Gazeteer, and Directory of Essex 1848
White's Directories
The publisher William White of Sheffield issued a yearly series of gazetteers and directories covering the United Kingdom. These began in 1826 in partnership with William Parson, but from 1831 were solely the work of White. William White continued to produce these until 1898 when his company was absorbed into Kelly's (Frederic Festus Kelly) trade directory, which continued into the twentieth century.

Text written 2002.
Copyright © 2002, Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Page added: 2001
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM