High Road, Langdon Hills, Shops, Houses, Businesses & Public Buildings|
Shops, Businesses, Housing and Public Buildings: 1860 - 2000s (East Side)
1) Crown Hill to former Langdon Hills Primary School
2) Former Langdon Hills Primary School to Laindon Station
Shops, Businesses, Housing and Public Buildings: 1877 - 2000s (West Side)
1) St. Mary's & All Saints Church to Alexander Road
2) Alexander Road to Florence Way
Please note: These are work in progress.
The oldest surviving building in the High Road is the former Langdon Hills
School located at the summit of Crown Hill. This dates from 1860 and is now in private ownership. The replacement
school, Langdon Hills Primary, was built in 1911 and is still used for educational purposes. Another surviving
Victorian building is the church of St. Mary's & All Saints which opened for services in 1877 replacing the older St. Mary
& All Saints in Old Church Hill. The church hall, which dates from 1907, is still in use as is the Methodist Hall, which began
as Nightingale Mission Church the same year.
During the 1970s the High Road was transformed by Basildon Development Corporation's planning
department who sought to replace the shops and the majority of houses between the railway overbridge approach and the junction
with Berry Lane. A small neighbourhood centre called The Triangle was created to serve the areas needs with the first
traders taking over the new units in late 1976.