blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Langdon Hills
blank.gif

High Road, Langdon Hills, shops, houses, businesses and public buildings between Crown Hill and the former Langdon Hills Primary School.

For the properties between the former Primary School and Laindon Station follow this link.

Please note: This is a work in progress with updates as information becomes available. Where it exists, photographic evidence of the shop nameboard has been used in the naming of many of the businesses. Other additional information where known is also included with each property.

blank.gif
High Road, Langdon Hills - East Side (1)
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Crown Hill and Langdon Hills Primary School
Property NameProperty Type Nature of occupationBuilt
Approx
Status
Ye Wentes WayesHouseResidence/Business Pre-warOccupied
Old School HouseSingle-storeyLangdon Hills School - 1860-1911
Residence thereafter.
Owned by the Church of England to 2001 when sold on the open market. Had a thatched roof to 1962 and sometimes listed on the electoral register as Church Cot.
1860Occupied
TrevelynHouseResidence Pre-warOccupied
Water TowerBuilding
Constructed by South Essex Waterworks Company.
Building 1933In use
Silsden
(renamed Green Pastures 1950s)
BungalowResidence Pre-1929Occupied
Shops, houses & public buildings between Dry Street and Westley Road
The ClimaxHouseResidence Pre-1929Occupied
The Crown Inn2 Storey BuildingPublic House/Residence 1700sOccupied
Casamia (renamed Everwood?)Detached bungalowResidence c.1959Occupied
WestleyDetached bungalowResidence Pre-1929Occupied
Cross GatesDetached bungalowResidence Post-1946Occupied
Shops, houses & public buildings between Westley Road and Lee Chapel Lane
NovaraDetached bungalow
Now Detached house
Residence Pre-1929Occupied
Doranjak
renamed Grafton (c.1955)
Detached bungalow
Now Detached house
Residence Post-1946Occupied
Rose GrangeDetached bungalowResidence Pre-1929Occupied
Shops, houses & public buildings between Lee Chapel Lane and Park Avenue
FootpathFootpath linking High Road and Nightingale AvenueShort width concrete pedestrian footway that ran to the side of 'Floriana' to Nightingale Avenue. Fell out of use when the last properties in Nightingale Avenue were demolished but remained for years afterwards overgrown and neglected. --Removed
FlorianaSemi-detached bungalowResidence c.1940sOccupied
Red RoofsSemi-detached bungalowResidence c.1940sOccupied
Berry NaborDetached bungalowResidence Pre-1929Demolished
CoogeeDetached bungalowResidence Pre-1929Demolished
TiaDetached bungalowResidence c.1956Demolished
DawnDetached bungalowResidence c.1955Demolished
Monkton CoombeDetached bungalowResidence Pre-1929Demolished
HarefieldDetached bungalowResidence Pre-1929Demolished
Osborne CottageDetached bungalowResidence Pre-1918Demolished
Shops, houses & public buildings between Park Avenue and Milton Avenue
Park LodgeDetached housePossibly former home of Harry Foulger, businessman and early local land development pioneer in the early 1900s. In the 1930s Dr. Cyril Douglas Faulkner and Dr. Craig from Stanford-le-Hope were based at Park Lodge and Hiawatha, Laindon. From 19/05/1968 Basildon Hebrew Congregation established a Jewish Synagogue here which was certified for worship from 19/12/1968 to 02/07/1976. The synagogue later transferred to Basildon Road. Original house rebuilt 1978/79. Large portion of garden lost to 1978/79 High Road realignment.
Residence
c.1903Occupied
Lee Lor
The Hamptons
Detached bungalow
Detached house
Lee Lor plot formerly part of the garden of neighbouring Park Lodge. Bungalow demolished (2000s) and new property built in its place.
Residence
c.1962Occupied
FramewoodDetached bungalow
Detached House
Original bungalow demolished c.2004 and replaced with two detached dwellings, one retaining original name.
Residence
Pre-1929
c.2004
Demolished c.2004
Gita NivasDetached houseBuilt on part of former Framewood plot.
Residence
c.2006/7Occupied
FernybankDetached bungalow
Detached house
Original bungalow demolished c.2006 and replaced with two detached dwellings, one retaining original name.
Residence
Pre-1929
c.2006/7
Demolished c.2006
Occupied
HillsideDetached houseBuilt on part of former Fernybank plot.
Residence
c.2006/7Occupied
GlenrosaSemi-detached house
Detached House
Paired with Venn/Sunbury.
Original house demolished 2000s.
Residence
Pre-1918Demolished
Occupied
Venn
renamed Sunbury (c.1956)
Semi-detached house
Detached Bungalow
Paired with Glenrosa.
Original house demolished 2000s.
Residence
Pre-1918Demolished
Occupied
HillsboroDetached houseAccess road The Waterfalls now runs through the former property plot.
Residence
Pre-warDemolished
c.1984
TreetopsDetached house
(originally a bungalow)
Residence c.1956Occupied
Talland
Little Acorns
Detached bungalowResidence c.1955Occupied
The Warren
Les Fleurs
Detached bungalow
Detached house
Residence c.1957Occupied
NormanhurstSemi-detached housePaired with Parkhurst.
Residence
c.1907Demolished c.1977
ParkhurstSemi-detached housePaired with Normanhurst.
Residence
c.1907Demolished c.1977
RosendaleDetached bungalowThe Triangle Community Centre, opened in 1979, now largely occupies this plot.
Residence
C.P.O. 01/01/1971
Pre-1915Demolished
HillsideDetached houseResidence Pre-1915Demolished
Lawn RiseDetached houseResidence Pre-1915Demolished
Lince ViewDetached houseResidence Pre-1915Demolished
c.1967
blank.gif
Page added: 2006
blank.gif
Other points of interest:
The Lee Chapel Lane junction with the High Road was closed off to vehicles (still accessible to pedestrians) in the early 1960s when the High Road was realigned. Vehicular access is now from Victoria Avenue off Staneway. Staneway, which was constructed on behalf of Basildon Development Corporation in 1965 and now route B1007, has its junction between the former Lee Chapel Lane junction and 'Floriana'. Park Avenue no longer exists. Part of its former course is now the High Road which was realigned in the late 1970s.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2006 with revisions and additions 2006-2015.
Copyright © 2006-2015, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Langdon Hills Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM