blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Langdon Hills
blank.gif

High Road, Langdon Hills shops, houses, businesses and public buildings between St. Mary's & All Saints Church and Alexander Road.

For the properties between Alexander Road and Florence Road follow this link.

Please note: This is a work in progress with updates as information becomes available. Where it exists, photographic evidence of the shop nameboard has been used in the naming of many of the businesses. An example is W.H. Smith, a general stores established by William Hutton Smith. Other additional information where known is also included with each property.

blank.gif
High Road, Langdon Hills - West Side (1)
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between St. Mary's & All Saints Church and Alexander Road
Property NameProperty Type Nature of occupationBuilt
Approx
Status
St. Mary's and All SaintsChurch 1877In use
Crown MeadowOpen SpacePavilion and cricket field (Langdon Hills Cricket Club).
Pavilion destroyed by fire 1990s. Cricket is no longer played there; the last match occuring sometime in the 1990s.
Pre-warOpen to public
Post OfficePost Office/Newsagent
Single-storey with thatched roof attached to house
Post Office (Ralph Marcus Lee
postmistress: Elizabeth M.A. Richardson later c.1929 Saunders
Nellie Rumsey)
c.1922 public telephone service (inside).
Demolished c.1963 when the High Road (B1007) was realigned and duelled.
1905Demolished c.1963
No.1
Police Cottage
Semi-detached houseDemolished c.1964 when the High Road (B1007) was realigned and dueled. Pre-1918Demolished c.1964
No.2
Police Cottage
Semi-detached houseAs above. Pre-1918Demolished c.1964
The GroveHouseResidence Pre-1919Occupied
Butlers Grove HouseHouseResidence Pre-1929Demolished c.1967
3 Butlers Grove HouseW.H. Smith General Stores
House
Provisions, Confectioner, Tobacconist
Prop. William Hutton Smith
Residence
Pre-1923Demolished c.1967
Dairy
Hillside
Dairy (A.W. Green - 1951)
Hillside General Stores
Detached bungalow
Residence
Pre-warDemolished c.1966
Shops, houses & public buildings between Butlers Grove and Grove Avenue
HighfieldDetached bungalowResidence Pre-warDemolished c.1964
LyntonDetached houseResidence Pre-1918Demolished c.1974
SpringthorpeSemi-detached housePaired to Revesby.
Extension added 1978.
Residence
Pre-1918Occupied
Revesby
renamed Oaklands
Semi-detached housePaired to Springthorpe.
As Revesby was Laindon Baptist church manse from 1957 to c.1978. Church established a new Manse fund in 1956, Rev. Maurice D. Kendrick first to occupy, Rev. Harry Whyte & family last to occupy.
Renamed Oaklands c.1980s.
Residence
Pre-1918Occupied
FonthillDetached bungalowResidence c.1956Occupied
TahsiniaDetached bungalowResidence c.1957Occupied
Fleetwood LodgeDetached houseResidence
Property rebuilt and original name retained.
Pre-1918Occupied
Shops, houses & public buildings between Grove Avenue and Corona Road
ClovellySemi-detached housePaired with Corsham.
Residence
Pre-1918Demolished
c.1972
CorshamSemi-detached housePaired with Clovelly.
Residence
Pre-1918Demolished
c.1972
JosephineSemi-detached housePaired with Fairbournes.
Residence
Pre-1918Demolished
c.1975
FairbournesSemi-detached housePaired with Josephine.
Residence
Pre-1918Demolished
c.1975
IvydeneDetached bungalowResidence Pre-1918Demolished
c.1980
Little NightingalesDetached houseResidence 1964Occupied
Bethan LodgeDetached houseResidence c.1983Occupied
MillstoneDetached houseResidence c.1983Occupied
Primrose LodgeDetached houseFormer home of Harry Egerton Bebington, J.P., estate agent and first chairman of Billericay Urban District Council (1934) who lived there from at least the 1930s until approximately 1960.
Residence
c.1909c.1965/66
Demolished
Shops, houses & public buildings between Corona Road and Berry Lane
Tudor CottageDetached houseResidence 1923Demolished 1970s
Shops, houses & public buildings between Berry Lane and Alexander Road
Estate OfficeH.E. Bebington
(Harry Egerton Bebington)
Estate Agent
Small single-storey detached building and garage.
Office when vacant fell into disrepair and vandalised. Plot then cleared around 1974 but remained unused and overgrown until the 1990s and is now partially covered by the paved entrance to Longwood Place care home.
c.1923Demolished 1970s
St. AubynsDetached bungalowResidence: 1910s - Harry Egerton Bebington
Emily Beatrice Bebington
Plot undeveloped c.1974-1990s now Longwood Place Care Home, 110 High Road.
Pre-1918Demolished 1970s
St. David'sDetached bungalowResidence
Last bungalow to be demolished between Berry Lane and St. Mary's church hall.
Plot undeveloped c.1980-1990s now Longwood Place Care Home, 110 High Road.
Pre-1918Demolished c.1980
VowlerDetached bungalowResidence
The Triangle shopping centre (opened in 1976) now occupies this plot.
Pre-1918Demolished pre-/06/1974
2 Rose Villas
Wyche Way
Semi-detached houseResidence
Pre 1929 known as 2 Rose Villas.
The Triangle shopping centre (opened in 1976) now occupies this plot.
Pre-1918Demolished pre-/06/1974
1 Rose Villas
Rose Villa
Semi-detached houseResidence
Pre 1929 known as 1 Rose Villas.
The Triangle shopping centre (opened in 1976) now occupies this plot.
Pre-1918Demolished pre/06/1974
Triangle RoadA pathway and not a road, as the name suggests, linking the High Road with Berry Lane that later gave its name to the neighbourhood shopping centre opened in the 1970s. It can be seen on early maps of the area and may date from the early 1900s when St. Mary's church hall and Rose Villas were built. All traces of it were lost in the construction of the shopping centre.
St. Mary's Church Hall
(Opened as St. Mary's Church Institute Mission Hall)
Hall 1907Occupied
1 Alpha House
2 Alpha House
Semi-detached houseDentist/Residence c.1955Occupied
Auldean
El Tigre
Detached bungalow
Detached bungalow
Auldean demolished pre-/06/1974.
El Tigre built approx. 1979.
Residence
Pre-warDemolished
Occupied
Dunromin
renamed Hillrise (c.1955)
Detached bungalowResidence Pre-warOccupied
Winchmore
Telisima
Detached bungalow
Detached house
Winchmore demolished pre-/06/1974.
Original bungalow matched Hillrise architectually.
Telisima built approx. 1979.
Residence
Pre-1929Demolished
Occupied
The CornerstoneDetached bungalowResidence Pre-warOccupied
blank.gif
Page added: 2006
blank.gif
Other points of interest:
In the late 1970s Grove Avenue's junction with High Road was renamed Ross Way following the creation of a new housing development. Grove Avenue is now accessed off Ross Way.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2006 with revisions and additions 2006-2015.
Copyright © 2006-2015, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Langdon Hills Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM