blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Langdon Hills
blank.gif

High Road, Langdon Hills, shops, houses, businesses and public buildings between Alexander Road and Florence Way.

For the properties between St. Mary's & All Saints Church and Alexander Road follow this link.

Please note: This is a work in progress with updates as information becomes available. Where it exists, photographic evidence of the shop nameboard has been used in the naming of many of the businesses. An example is Mecca Motorcycles, a motorbike and cycle spares and repair business established by Laindon resident Douglas Vitou. Other additional information where known is also included with each property.

blank.gif
High Road, Langdon Hills - West Side (2)
Shops, houses & public buildings between Alexander Road and St. David's Road
Property NameProperty Type Nature of occupationBuilt
Approx
Status
San RemoDetached bungalowDetached houses numbered 2, 4 and 6 Alexander Road now cover the former San Remo plot.
Residence
Pre-warDemolished
St. Teresa'sRoman Catholic Church
In 1991 a new catholic church called St. Therese of Lisieux was opened in Florence Way, Langdon Hills.
The gardens of detached houses numbered 2, 4 and 6 Alexander Road now cover the former site of St. Teresa's catholic church.
1925Demolished
c.1991
The Old PresbyteryDetached houseIn the 1990s a new presbytery was built along with the new church at Florence Way, Langdon Hills.
Residence
c.1955Occupied
Alton
60
Detached house
Detached bungalow
House demolished late 1980s or 1990s, new bungalow built in its place.
Residence
Pre-1918Demolished
Occupied
Shops, houses & public buildings between St. David's Road and Samuel Road
Laindon Baptist ChurchChurch 1931Occupied
Locarno
renamed Mascot
Detached bungalowResidence Pre-1929Occupied
Ash ValeDetached bungalowResidence Pre-1929Occupied
AlbanyDetached houseOne time family home of Joseph Toomey - founder of J. Toomey Motors Ltd.
Residence
Pre-1918Occupied
Shops, houses & public buildings between Samuel Road and Emanuel Road
BeulahDetached bungalowFour detached properties erected c.1978 in Emanuel Road now cover the former Beulah plot.
Residence
Pre-1918Demolished c.1968
ShopWright's Grocery Store
Spencer's music shop
Sub-Post Office
Detached bungalow with divided shop frontage.
Sub-Postmaster: Stan Doubleday
--
Pre-war
c.1966
--
--
c.1975
Demolished c.1975/76
ShopRobinson's chemist
Kathleen Hair Stylist
See above entry.
Kathleen Doubleday
Pre-warDemolished c.1975/76
ShopDoll's Hospital
Tyler's
Coleby's
Expresso Bar
Thomas Robinson
Shoe repairs
Accummulator charger
Coffee bar
Garage
c.1920
--
--
1960s
1970s
--
--
--
1970s
c.1975
Demolished c.1975/76
Langdon Hills Methodist ChurchChurch
Church Hall
Church hall facing High Road was formerly Nightingale Mission Church (1907), enlarged in 1932 became Wesleyan Church to 1956 when new church was built to rear of building.
1956
1907
In use
In use
Shops, houses & public buildings between Emanuel Road and Vowler Road
ShopLagden's
Mecca Motor Cycles
(Douglas William Vitou)
c.1929 - Butcher - Jeremiah William Lagden
1952 - Spares, Repairs & Accessories
Pre-warDemolished c.1975/76
ShopCole's
Paul Lucy
Greengrocer
Greengrocer (relocated: 2 The Triangle)
Pre-war
c./06/1972
c.1972
c./11/1976
Demolished c.1976
ShopBarrett's Post Office Stores
Barker's Post Office & Stores
Dymock Post Office & Stores
F.J Foy's Post Office & Stores
Built as single-storey later converted to house. (Ann Barrett)
Though not in Nightingale Parade post office retained name on P.O. account books as did the Post box.
c.1961 local Spar retailer.
Following demolition Peperell's opened a temporary newsagents on the empty plot and that of Lucas' which survived until the Triangle shops opened in 1976.
Residence
Pre-warClosed 1960s
Demolished c.1973
ShopAvery
Lucas - The Wonder Shop (1950s on.)
(Mr. A. Lucas)
Following demolition Peperell's opened a temporary newsagents which survived until the Triangle shops opened. A detached house called Orotava, built in the late 1970s, now stands approximately on the site of Lucas'.
Residence
Pre-warDemolished c.1973
Eden HolmeDetached bungalowWilliam Henry Jessep, A.L.C.M., Professor of Music - Pianoforte Teacher
Dentist (Miss Norah I.H. Shannon)
(c.1974 Dr. V.D. Bhatt, F.R.C.S.)
Pre-1929
--
Post 1932
1970s
Demolished c.1975/6
Hampton LodgeDetached houseResidence
A detached house called The Conifers, built in the late 1970s, now stands approximately on the site of Hampton Lodge.
Pre-1918Demolished
The FernsDetached houseResidence
Telephone Exchange
House vacated by 1969 demolished soon after. New telephone exchange, built to the rear of the building and accessed from Vowler Road, opened on 27/06/1956 and in use to circa 1968 when permanent replacement opened at Northumberland Avenue. Telephone exchange building although empty and derelict was still standing in August 1975 but later demolished possibly around 1976. A detached property in Vowler Road now stands on the site of the former telephone exchange.
Pre-1918
27/06/1956
/06/1956
c.1968
Demolished 1970s
Shops, houses & public buildings between Vowler Road and Florence Road
HazelmereDetached houseLast surviving property between Vowler Road and Florence Road. Former plot now incorporated into the Elim Pentecostal site.
Residence
Pre-1918Demolished Post-/08/1975
Elim Pentecostal ChurchRegistered as a place of worship from 08/06/1932 to 09/06/1977.
New church built in Vowler Road and opened around 1978.
1932Demolished 1977
MidhurstDetached houseResidence
Rev. W.T. Hickson (1930s)
Pre-1918Demolished Pre-/06/1974
AvondaleDetached house
2 Single-storey shops added to house frontage
+ Avondale Hall amenity to rear.
Residence
Left Side: Cash Chemists
Left Side: A.J. Kelynack - (Archibald James Kelynack)
Chemist
Left Side: F. Peperell - (Frank Howard Peperell)
Tobacconist & Confectioner (relocated: 1 Shannon Shops, High Road)
Right Side: E. Grottick (Emma & Ebenezer Grottick) - Avondale Tea Rooms (Tobacconist & Confectioner)
Right Side: E. Green (Ernest Green) Avondale Stores
Ironmonger & Hardware Shop
Pre-1918Demolished Pre-/06/1974
Glenwood LodgeDetached houseResidence Pre-1918Demolished Pre-/06/1974
Rosemary LodgeDetached houseDoctor's Surgery
(Dr. William John Shannon)
The family home of Dr. Shannon.
Pre-1918Demolished
Pre-/06/1974
blank.gif
Page added: 2006
blank.gif
Other points of interest:
Alexander Road was closed to all vehicular traffic from its junction with the High Road in 1983. Florence Road no longer exists. Florence Way, which links the High Road to Mandeville Way was constructed in the 1990s.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2006 with revisions and additions 2006-2015.
Copyright © 2006-2015, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Langdon Hills Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM