blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Parks
blank.gif

Wat Tyler Country Park


blank.gif
Wat Tyler Country Park - Pitsea Wat Tyler Country Park - Pitsea Wat Tyler Country Park - Pitsea
blank.gif
Location: Wat Tyler Country Park
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 19/08/2013
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: Progression by the artist Michael Condron.
Location: Wat Tyler Country Park
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 10/04/2008
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: ex light vessel LV44 which was the CARNARVON BAY.
Location: Wat Tyler Country Park
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 10/04/2008
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: The ship was once on the main creek but its poor condition led to its final resting place in Oyster Creek.
blank.gif

Wat Tyler Country Park in Pitsea Hall Lane, Pitsea opened in April 1984.

Set in 125 acres the park is named after Walter 'Wat' Tyler' who lead the Peasants' Revolt in 1381. Len Murray, General Secretary of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) was the special guest to perform the opening ceremony.

The park offers many attractions for all the family including an adventure playground, marina, art and craft shops, a sculpture trail, tudor houses, visitor centre and a 10.25" miniature narrow gauge railway.

Miniture gauge railway
The miniture gauge railway runs for a length of approximately 1 mile (1.2 km) having recently been extended in 2012 almost to the park's entrance. The train is called The Goyle and numbered 31327.

Progression
Standing on a plinth at the entrance to the Green Centre is a sculpture called Progression. It was commissioned by Basildon District Community Arts Project who invited local artists to design a piece of art to mark 50 years of the new town. It was the work of the Rochford born artist Michael Condron and had previously stood in Town Square at Basildon town centre from 2001 to July 2004 when it was removed to the park and eventually sited in front of the then Motorboat Museum. A special unveiling ceremony with commemorative plaque was conducted by the chairman of Basildon Council, Cllr. Sandra Hillier on 25th February, 2005.

An enclosed Adventure Playzone for children aged 12+ opened in August 2001 adjacent to another small children's park completed a month earlier.

Many special events are held in the park including from 1996 to 2000 the Basildon Festival.

Green Centre
In 2009 the Motorboat Museum closed and the building underwent an extensive refurbishment costing £1.2 million. This was completed in October 2011 and the building, now called the Green Centre, was given an official opening on 29th February, 2012. The tape cutting ceremony was performed by the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Homes and Communities, Bob Neill, MP. Among others in attendance were Basildon Council Leader Tony Ball, Cllr Kevin Blake, cabinet member for leisure and Arts and Stephen Metcalfe, MP for Basildon South and Thurrock East.

Note:
Lionel Murray, OBE, later Baron Murray of Epping Forest. (02/08/1922 - 20/05/2004), trade unionist leader (TUC).

Page added: 2013
blank.gif

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2013.
Copyright © 2013, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Copyright
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon Parks Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM