blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Pitsea
blank.gif

Pitsea Broadway


blank.gif
The Broadway - Pitsea The Broadway - Pitsea  
blank.gif
Location: The Broadway, Pitsea
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 24/10/2002
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments:
Location: The Broadway, Pitsea
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 24/10/2002
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: Note the Golden Virginia Tobacco advertising billboard, banned from 14/02/2003.
blank.gif
The Broadway - Pitsea The Railway - Pitsea The Broadway - Pitsea
blank.gif
Location: Pitsea Market
Photographer: Dave Clark
Year of photo: 1976
Copyright: Dave Clark
Source: Dave Clark
Comments: View of Tudor buildings at Station Lane from the site of the 2nd Pitsea Market.
Location: Pitsea Broadway
Photographer: Dave Clark
Year of photo: January 1975
Copyright: Dave Clark
Source: Dave Clark
Comments: The Railway public house in 1975. Ind Coope supplying the beer.
Location: High Road
Photographer: Unknown
Year of photo: c.1940s
Copyright: Unknown
Comments: View of the Broadway Cinema.
blank.gif

Broadway, Pitsea It was during the late 1920s and 1930s that the Broadway took on the appearance that is still architecturally the most striking feature of the shopping facilities at Pitsea.

This was all due to the work of one man: Harold George Howard.

His legacy to Pitsea began in the late 1920s with a series of mock Tudor style buildings beginning with the Railway Hotel public house, and continuing with the cinema, which opened as The Broadway in 1929 and later became the Century, and the parade of shops adjoining it known as Tudor Mansions and Tudor Chambers, and lastly Tudor Buildings (Anne Boleyn Mansions), occupied by Lloyds (now Lloyds T.S.B.) Bank since the 1930s.

His name is perpetuated in the local park, where his privately funded war memorial now stands, and in Howard Crescent which borders the park and features his residential designed homes.

He was a noted landowner, farmer and successful businessman founding Howard's Dairies around 1900, which for many years had shops at Pitsea, Laindon, Langdon Hills, Whitmore Way, Timberlog Lane and Southernhay in Basildon town centre. The company's horse-drawn and later electrically powered milk floats finished in a dark blue and cream livery went on to become one of the leading milk delivery services in south east Essex. Howard's Dairies also had distribution depots at Tennyson Drive, Pitsea and Bluehouses, Basildon. At the time of his death in 1961 the company, which had its headquarters at 265 London Road, Westcliff-on-Sea, had a 73,000 customer base, 8 distribution depots, 212 retail delivery rounds, 33 shops and employed over 1000 people.

He lived for a time at Blue House Farm in London Road, and died 7th June 1961 aged 86 and is buried at St. Margaret's Church, Bowers Gifford.

In February 1961 the main Pitsea Crown post office was opened in Broadway North until relocating to nearby Tesco's superstore from Monday 11th October, 1993.

Page added: 2002
blank.gif

Text researched and written 2006.
Copyright © 2006, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Copyright
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Pitsea Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM