blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Broadway North Shop Closures and Changes
blank.gif

The shopping parade at Broadway North was built in the late 1950s. It was the work of Roger Howard, the son of Pitsea landowner and dairy farmer Harold Howard and a stone inscribed 'R.H.H. 1959' can be seen on an upper outer wall at the western end. A short extension was later added at the eastern end, occupied by Barclays Bank, and this too has an outer stone inscribed 'R.H.H. 1964', the year of completion.

Below are some of Broadway North's past traders and businesses. Where it exists, photographic evidence of the shop nameboard has been used in the naming of many of the businesses. Other additional information where known is also included with each business.

blank.gif
Broadway North
NumberShop Name BusinessOpen
approx
Closed
approx
 Post Office (relocated: Tesco, Hazelmere)Crown Post Office /02/196109/10/1993
1N. Turp - Pitsea Pram Service (Nellie Turp)Prams, Toys & Babywear c./07/1960Post 1967
2Hickley'sRadio, T.V. & Electrical 1959 
3W. Norton & SonsFurniture & Carpets c.1961 
4Howard's Dairies
Kibby's (rebranded: International)
International Stores
Abbey National (rebranded: Santander (2010))
Santander
Groceries and dairy produce
Supermarket
Supermarket
Bank
Bank
Pre /06/1960
c.1972
--
11/01/2010
c.1972
--
10/01/2010
24/10/2013
5KingstonButcher 1960s--
6Montana RestaurantRestaurant c.1970--
7Peachey's Fresh FareGreengrocers 19701990s
8Barton's the BakersBakers and Cafe 1960s1980s
9Howard's Dairies
Besson
Renalls
Dairy produce
D.I.Y. and home improvments
Jewellery and Pawnbroker specialists
c.1967
1970
1980s
1970
 
--
10David SamesChemist 1960s--
11North Thames GasShowroom 1960s1970s
11AI.P. DovePhotographic processor and photographer c.1974 
Barclays Bank ChambersVange Steel Equipment Co.Main Office c.1970c.1972
12C
Barclays Bank Chambers
David Sames (Chemist)Head Office 1960s--
12D
Barclays Bank Chambers
Staff ServicesEmployment Agency (second floor) 1960s--
12F
Barclays Bank Chambers
Electrical Power Engineers AssociationEngineers (second floor) Pre /10/1970--
blank.gif
Page added: 17/03/2015
Other points of interest:
(1) Pitsea Pram Service at No. 1 previously traded on the south side of Station Lane at No. 35 and were stockists of Tri-ang and Mo-Bo toys as well as model aircraft and Balso Wood. The business also had a shop at 122 High Street, Billericay.

(2) David Sames had a small chain of chemists that included Lee Chapel North, Whitmore Way and Basildon town centre.

(3) Peachey's Fresh Fare was a family business that originated at High Road, Laindon.

(4) Norton's at No. 3 was established years earlier in 1920, the main business being removals and storage. They were previously at High Road, Pitsea on the north side close to the junction with Rectory Road. The business, which also included a shop at 323 London Road, Hadleigh, is now based in Bowers Gifford.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2015 with revisions and additions 2015.
Copyright © 2015, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Pitsea Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM