blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Pitsea
blank.gif

Rectory Road shops, houses, businesses and public buildings between High Road and Burnt Mills Road.

For the properties on the south side of High Road follow this link.

Please note: This is a work in progress with updates as information becomes available. Where it exists, photographic evidence of the shop nameboard has been used in the naming of many of the businesses. Other additional information where known is also included with each property.

blank.gif
High Road Shops & Properties - North Side (1)
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between the railway overbridge and Northlands Drive
NumberShop/House Name Business - Property TypeOpen/Built
approx.
Closed
Demolished
Still Exists
approx.
Gordon Avenue
Sandon Road
Sandon Road was originally named Station Road; being renamed during the development corporation years. 1900s
1960s
Post /03/1961
Open
Telephone ExchangeAll telephone numbers assigned from this exchange were prefixed Vange. Building decommissioned and replaced by a new larger exchange on same site accessed from Sandon Road. Exchange building still exists. c.1930s1970s
Public Telephone Box c.1950s--
3 Bridge ParadeWatson, Temple and Waymouth (& at 7 High Road, Laindon)Estate Agents & Chartered Surveyors.
Semi-detached property
1950sc.1967
Demolished
Bridge ParadeG. Highwood (George Highwood)Butchers
Semi-detached property
Pre-/09/1939--
Demolished
Elmbrook WorksHickley's GarageVehicle repairs Pre-/03/1940--
Bridge ParadeHickley & Sons Ltd.Television & Radio equipment & repairs. 1950s 
Bridge ParadeI. Bregman (Israel Bregman)General stores c.1939--
Bridge ParadeH. GowersTurf Accountant 1950s1960s
2 Bridge ParadeSteven (& at Billericay)Hairdresser c.1960s1960s
Petrol Filling StationService station
No longer operates as a petrol station.
 Open
New Park AvenueNew Park Avenue was cleared of all properties by Basildon Development Corporation as part of the preparation for the South Mayne flyover project which was completed in April 1970. c.1900s1969
Pitsea RoadDuring the construction of the Chalvedon housing estate in the 1970s Pitsea Road was extended and a road junction with High Road was created. 1970sOpen
SchoolPitsea Council School
Later renamed Pitsea County Primary School,
Pitsea County Infants' and Junior School
Infant school later renamed Len Wastel and from 01.09/2015 both schools amalgamated as Maple Grove Primary School.
In the 1970s a portion of the front playing field was lost in creating the Pitsea Road junction with High Road.
01/03/1909Open
Pitsea ClinicOpened in 1934 by Essex County Council as a combined treatment centre and later becoming Pitsea Clinic. 17/12/1934Open
Kar-RicheDetached house Post-1949Occupied
Popes Crescent
Burns Avenue
ShopDelight Pizza & KebabTake-away --Open
Petrol Filling Station
Car dealer (Frank Warr 1960s/70s)
Pitsea Motor Company
Service station
Used car dealer
Used car dealer
 
 
c.1980s
Open
Service road
Railway Hotel
Later renamed The Railway c.1970s
Public House
Demolished from April to June 2013 and now the site of the fourth Pitsea Market.
c./09/1927/04/2013 - /06/2013
Demolished
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Northlands Drive and Rectory Park Drive
Tudor BuildingLloyds BankBank 1934Open
Tudor BuildingMabs
Pollard's (William Waide Pollard) (relocated: Northlands Pavement)
Lloyds Bank
Haberdashery
Wool and Haberdashery
Bank
Street level shop unit now incorporated within Lloyds bank.
c.1950s
c.1960s
--
--
 Post OfficeCrown Post Office /02/196109/10/1993
1-12Broadway North
(See separate Broadway North shop history.)
Current shopping parade with associated parking. 1959
1964
Open
Railway Tavern Inn
renamed Railway Hotel
Public House
Licence removed to 'new' Railway Hotel' c.1927, building then converted to create three shops with extension to the frontage and referred there on as "The Old Tavern". The entire building including the new shops were later lost in the creation of the Broadway North shopping parade.
c.1859c.1927
Old Railway TavernLloyds Bank Limited (relocated: Tudor Mansions, Pitsea)
Long's Stores
Pitsea Post Office (relocated: Broadway North)
Bank
Grocery Store and Post Office
Single storey extension to front of former public house.
c.1927
c.1934
c.1934
c./01/1961
Demolished
Old Railway TavernH. English (Herbert English)
Tucker & Sons (& at 38 High Road, Laindon)
--
Family Butchers
Single storey extension to front of former public house.
1920s
c.1930s
c.1930s
--
Demolished
Old Railway TavernThe Broadway Fish Supply - (C.W. Allen, M.A. Allen)Wet & Dry Fish.
Single storey extension to front of former public house.
c.1927--
Demolished
ShopJ.E. Hall
Warr's (Raymond Warr) (& at 41 East Walk, Basildon)
 
Greengrocers
Tudor fronted semi-detached house, later demolished in the creation of the eastern end of Broadway North shopping parade.
c.1920s
c.1950s
--
--
Demolished
Shop  
Tudor fronted semi-detached house, later demolished in the creation of the eastern end of Broadway North shopping parade.
  
Demolished
 Churchill JohnsonIronmonger, timber & building merchants
Single storey building replaced in 1970s with Sankey House.
1920sDemolished
81 Sankey HouseSankey's
Londis
Premier - Carter Store
Bargain Booze - Select Convenience
Ironmonger, timber & building merchants
Supermarket
Off Licence and convenience store
Off Licence and convenience store
1970s
c.1980s
2000s
c.2011
c.1980s
c.2000s
c.2011
Open
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Rectory Park Drive and Rectory Road
1-4The Parade
(See separate Pitsea Parade shop history.)
Current shopping parade with associated parking. Pre-1950sOpen
RibblesdaleAlf The Market Man
Ladies of Leisure
Le' Beau
Clothes
Unisex Hair Centre
Hair Studio
Did not become a shop until circa mid 1940s to early 1950s
Detached House to circa 1970s now joined to 79 High Road.
1950s
c.1990s
2000s
--
 
Open
Undeveloped land later developed c.1980s for property numbers 79-59.
79Spice Inn - South Indian Restaurant
Del Tandoori
Indian restaurant
Indian restaurant
1990s
c.2000s
2000s
Open
71Pizza Go GoTake-away c.2000sOpen
67Hair OasisHairdressers c.2000sOpen
63-65Need 2 PrintInkjet & Laserjet cartridges refilled c.2000sOpen
59Jeanette FloristFlorist c.1980sOpen
 Saunders - Broadway Bakery (& at 93 High Road, Vange)
Jeanette Florist
Bakery
Florist
Single-storey detached building.
c.1930s
--
c.1960s
c.1980s
Demolished
57Greens Stores
Beech Brothers
Ken Machines Ltd
Jester Minute
Pitsea Mobility
Gymophobics
Foodstore
Tools and specialist equipment
Sewing machines
Fancy dress suppliers
Mobility equipment, sales and repair
Female fitness centre
End terrace house in a row of 4.
--
c.1970s
c.1990s
c.2006
c.2011
2010s
c.1970s
c.1990s
2000s
c.2011
c.2013
Open
55Pitsea Tile CentreHome improvement specialists
Mid terrace house in a row of 4.
Pre-/10/1990Open
53Pitsea Tile CentreHome improvement specialists
Mid terrace house in a row of 4.
 Open
51 High RoadEnd terrace house in a row of 4. --Occupied
51A High RoadUpper flat accommodation to 51 High Road. c.2009Occupied
Parkhurst Road
 Long's Stores & Pitsea Post Office (Arthur William Long)(relocated: Old Railway Tavern)
W. Norton & Sons (& at Hadleigh & Rayleigh)
Greengrocers and post office services
Removals, antique dealer and furniture
1920s
c.1930s
c.1930s
Post -/11/1967
Demolished
49 High RoadConstructed on behalf of B.D.Corp.
End terrace house
c.1977Occupied
47 High RoadConstructed on behalf of B.D.Corp.
Mid terrace house
c.1977Occupied
45 High RoadConstructed on behalf of B.D.Corp.
End terrace house
c.1977Occupied
WallWall screening the Church Park Road cul-de-sac serving properties built on behalf of B.D.Corp. in the mid-to-late 1970s. c.1977
43 High RoadConstructed on behalf of B.D.Corp.
End terrace house
c.1977Occupied
41 High RoadConstructed on behalf of B.D.Corp.
Mid terrace house
c.1977Occupied
39 High RoadConstructed on behalf of B.D.Corp.
End terrace house
c.1977Occupied
1 Ash CottageGeorge & Alice Willis  Pre-1949Demolished
2 Ash CottagePeter & Florence McDonald  Pre-1949Demolished
The GablesA & H Pembroke (Arthur Pembroke)Confectioners, tobacconist, teas, minerals & ices
Detached bungalow
 Demolished Pre-/11/1967
blank.gif
Page added: 25/09/2015
blank.gif
Other points of interest:


Copyright © 2015, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Pitsea Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM