blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Pitsea
blank.gif

Rectory Road


blank.gif
Rectory Lane, Pitsea Rectory Road, Pitsea  
blank.gif
Location: Rectory Road - Pitsea
Photographer: Unknown
Year of photo: circa 1910
Copyright: N/A
Source: Rob Jarvis
Comments: An early postcard view of Rectory Lane.
Location: Rectory Road - Pitsea
Photographer: Unknown
Year of photo: circa 1910
Copyright: N/A
Source: Rob Jarvis
Comments:
blank.gif
Rectory Road - Pitsea Rectory Road - Pitsea Rectory Road - Pitsea
blank.gif
Location: Rectory Road
Photographer: Thomas Barnes
Year of photo: Circa 1983
Copyright: Thomas Barnes
Source: Thomas Barnes
Comments: Empty Housing now demolished between Crest Avenue and Kenneth Road, Pitsea.
Location: Rectory Road/Burnt Mills Rd
Photographer: Thomas Barnes
Year of photo: Circa 1982
Copyright: Thomas Barnes
Source: Thomas Barnes
Comments: The old general store at the junction with Burnt Mills Road. This section of Rectory Road is now called Tenterfields.
Location: Rectory Road/Burnt Mills Rd
Photographer: Thomas Barnes
Year of photo: Circa 1982
Copyright: Thomas Barnes
Source: Thomas Barnes
Comments:
blank.gif
Pitsea carnival 1982 Pitsea carnival 1982  
blank.gif
Location: Rectory Road - Pitsea
Photographer: Thomas Barnes
Year of photo: 1982
Copyright: Thomas Barnes
Source: Thomas Barnes
Comments: Pitsea carnival 1982. Note petrol prices at the Total garage, which itself has been replaced by housing.
Location: Rectory Road - Pitsea
Photographer: Thomas Barnes
Year of photo: 1982
Copyright: Thomas Barnes
Source: Thomas Barnes
Comments: A Ford Corsair pulls a float along as part of the Pitsea carnival in 1982.
blank.gif

Rectory Road is one of the oldest roads in Basildon. It originally ran from the old A13 High Road to a junction with Burnt Mills Road.

Sometime during the mid 1970s the road was truncated and a large roundabout constructed; in anticipation of the new housing estates under construction at Felmore and Tyefields. A small section remains beyond the roundabout, and the last sections have been renamed Mayfair Avenue and Tenterfields. Direct access for vehicles into Mayfair Avenue from Rectory Road is restricted.

Pitsea Rectory once stood in Rectory Road on the site of St. Gabriels Church and was originally Shophouse Farm. W. J. Wager's 'people's dairy' was another feature, as was a police station, operational until 1967, that stood just beyond Howard Crescent. This was demolished and years later a new station was built which stands close to the original.

Rectory Road had a wide variety of shops at one time including Papworth's, The Cabin, Steggles and T.G. Cycles at number 102. Another shop, which would later move to Basildon town centre, was television and radio specialists Kelley's, who had a shop at number 94 in the 1950s. For the motorist the Rectory Road Motoring Centre at 87/89 was AA recommended and sold BP Arco petrol and in its later years Total.

There are still two small shop parades that predate the new town. A small reminder of the towns past.

Page added: 2002
blank.gif

Text researched and written 2002.
Copyright © 2002, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Copyright
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Pitsea Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM