blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Station Lane Shop History
blank.gif

A history of some of the Station Lane shop traders.

Below are some of Station Lane's past and present traders and businesses. Where it exists, photographic evidence of the shop nameboard has been used in the naming of many of the businesses. Other additional information where known is also included with each business.

blank.gif
Station Lane (West Side)
NumberShop Name Business - Property TypeOpen
approx
Closed
approx
DoorwayDoorway to 5-8 Tudor MansionsUpper Flats 1929Accessible
2The Scotch Bakery (George Richard Watson)
James & Sons Ltd.
Golden Travel
Forge Services - Shoe Repairs
Bakers & confectionery
Bakers & confectionery
Travel Agents
Footwear specialists
c.1929
1960s
c.2000s
c.2008
--
1970s
c.2008
Open
 GowersNewsagent & confectioner   
6A. Glenny & Son (Kenneth Glenny) (& 13 High Rd, Laindon)
BSM
Wellbank Resourcing Ltd.
T & M Nails & Beauty (relocated: 6 The Broadway, Pitsea)
Fast Cash
Estate Agents & Chartered Surveyors
Driving School
Employment Agency
Beauty treatment
Loan providers
1960s
c.2000s
c.2005
c.2000s
c.2014
 
c.2005
c.2008
c.2014
Open
10A.E. Porter (Alf Porter)
Snips
Hairdressers
Hairdressers
Pre-1957
Pre-/07/1983
1970s
Open
14Dane Cleaners
E.E. Hart & Son Ltd.
Pitsea - Kebabs and Pizzas
Dry cleaners
Bookmakers
Take-away
1963
1960s
c.2000s
1960s
--
Open
16Doorway to 1-4 Tudor ChambersUpper business units 1956Accessible
1 Tudor ChambersDollond and Aitchison
G. Welford-Giddings
Optician (Previously at 6 The Broadway within chemists)
Optician
/10/1956
c.1974
--
--
4 Tudor ChambersBSM (Basildon School of Motoring)Driving School (Previously at 45 Timberlog Lane, Vange) c.1965--
18Bata (& at 41 High Road, Laindon)
Georgie's Cafe & Pie n Mash
Shoe shop
Cafe
c.1956
c.2000s
c.1970s
Open
24?Ye Olde Coffee ShoppeDetached mock tudor fronted single storey building
Teas and snacks
c.1920s2000s
Demolished
26-28Pitsea Auto Mart (Proprietor: Frank Warr)Second hand car dealer 1957Post-1967
30 Tudor CottageHare's Accumulator Service
The Music Box (Frank Warr)
Jenson's Angling Centre
Alcatraz
Battery charging
Television & Radio, Records.
Fishing equipment
Pet shop & pet food
Mock tudor building with upstairs living accommodation.
Pre /09/1936
1960s
1990s
1990s
Post /03/1940
 
2000s
1990s
Demolished
34Nixmix
Basildon Building Design Co.
Ready mixed concrete. 7 day week delivery service
Designs for buildings
c.1980
1984
1980s
1980s
Kingswood (Works)Avamore Engineering Co. Ltd.
A.E. Judd & Son
Engineering
Builders & decorators
1947
1962
c.1957
c.1972
Public ConveniencesClosed in the 1980s and demolished years later after becoming vandalised and almost completely unseen amongst trees and bushes. /04/19241980s
Pitsea MarketAn undercover market is established. Charles Love is the auctioneer. /04/19241969
Tennyson RoadDisappeared during the creation of the A13 and South Mayne flyovers in the 1970s.  1969
 Ambrose & Co.Estate Agents c.1936 
WoodsideEdwin Sycamore, Edwin J. Sycamore, Elsie A. Sycamore & Kate F. Sycamore (1949)Residence c.1920sDemolished Pre-/11/1967
 Pitsea Electrical Supply Stores (W.H. Davis)Electrical suppliers Pre-/03/1940 
 W.F. IzzardRadio, electrical and cycle specialists c.1940s 
St. AnthonyStuart & Lucy Henderson (1949)178 feet frontage to Riviera Avenue. c.1920sDemolished Pre-/11/1967
Riviera AvenueDisappeared during the creation of the A13 and South Mayne flyovers in the 1970s.  1969
F.E.J. Green & Sons (Frank Edgar James Green)
(& at Rectory Road, Pitsea) late of Station Road, Pitsea.
(relocated: 195/197 Timberlog Lane c.1969)
Funeral Furnishers, Monumental Masons.
Established: 1900
Located on land adjoining or forming part of the property Hazelmere, Riviera Avenue with a frontage to Station Lane of approximately 113 feet.
1931c.1969
 Fur Factory - J. Knoblaugh & SonsFurriers Pre-/03/1940 
94 St. IvelCecil John Johnson, Margaret I. Johnson (1949)Semi-detached house Pre-/03/1940Demolished Post-/11/1967
96 Coronation Villa?Albert Tew, Bessie Ada Tew, Herbert J. Tew & Irene Tew (1949)166 ft frontage to Hazelmere Drive.
Semi-detached house
Pre-/03/1940Demolished Post-/11/1967
Hazelmere DriveHazelmere Drive was later renamed Hazelmere, made up and realigned to High Road during the creation of Tescos in the 1970s.  1970s
Ampthill House?Bryce, Janet & Martha Lamb (1949)Residence c.1920sDemolished Pre-/11/1967
Railway overbridgeCame into existence during the creation of the 'new' direct Barking to Pitsea rail route which opened in June 1888.
  The site of this former property is now used as a rail commuter car park.  Demolished Pre-/11/1967
Terminus Drive
Primrose VillaCampbell residenceJ.W. Campbell & Sons - Campbell's Motor Services
Detached House
c.1910Occupied
Station Lane (East Side)
NumberShop Name BusinessOpen
approx
Closed
approx
Howard's Field (H.G. Howard)Field  c.1968
St. Michael's AvenueSt. Michael's Avenue junction with Station Lane was lost in the creation of the A13 Vange & Pitsea by-pass.--1970s
49Pitsea Pram Service (Nellie Turp)Prams, babywear and toys stockists. 1950s1960s
3 Station ParadeParade Cafe W.H. Foxwell (William Foxwell)Cafe
Residence
c.1940s 
Demolished
2 Station ParadeChemist - R. & Elsie MacGregor (Market Pharmacy)
Chemist - Miss Grace Milner MPS (Market Pharmacy)
Residence c.1940s
c.1952
Post /03/1951
c.1960s
Demolished
1 Station Parade?Residence c.1940s 
Demolished
BayencourtRene and Hilda CamousResidence c.1940s 
Demolished
HygleaEllen and Maude WealeResidence c.1940s 
Demolished
59B.E. Curnick Ltd.Builders, Contractors 19591960s
Demolished
77 CliftonAlec & Emma PendrillResidence c.1940s 
Demolished
1 The ParadeJohn & Joyce Naylor (1940s-1950s)Residence Pre-/09/1936 
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
2 The Parade
83 Station Lane
S. Huckle (Sidney Huckle) (Eileen Huckle)
Reklaw (Kenneth William Walker)
Laindon Recorder sub-office (from November 1951)
Photography
Photography and photographic equipment
Residence
c.1940s
1951
1951
c.1960s
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
MiriamMiriam (Gladys Tonkin)Ladies' Hairdressers + Hosiery
Residence (Martin & Gladys Tonkin)
Pre-/09/1936
c.1953
1953
 
Demolished
Pre-/11/1967
87Grocers (C.J. Johnson)Residence 1950s1960s
Demolished
TregantleDavid, Pauline and Rosina BrightResidence c.1940s 
Demolished
VancluseHarry & Daisy PoultonResidence c.1940s 
Demolished
Villa-des-RosesRobert & Mabel Aitchison
Richard & Ada Campbell
Residence c.1940s 
Demolished
Kentview DriveCleared of properties by the 1960s as preparation for new housing when Brackendale Avenue was extended in the 1970s.--1970s
 Alec Streete
George & Maud Chambers?
Station Cafe & Stores
Post box to side of property.
Detached house
c.1940sDemolished Post-/11/1967
 Eric & Florence Hart?Newsagent
Post box to side of property.
Detached house
c.1940sDemolished Post-/11/1967
blank.gif
Page added: 25/09/2015
Other points of interest:
(1) Pitsea Pram Service also traded at High Street, Billericay.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2015.
Copyright © 2015, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Pitsea Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM