blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Primary Schools
blank.gif

Langdon Hills: (Old School) High Road, Langdon Hills


blank.gif
Langdon Hills Old School Langdon Hills Old School Langdon Hills Old School
blank.gif
Location: Langdon Hills Old School
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 25/10/2002
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments:
Location: Langdon Hills Old School
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 25/10/2002
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments:
Location: Langdon Hills Old School
Photographer: Bix
Year of photo: 19/12/2002
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: The square stone between the two upper windows is engraved L.H.S 1860.
blank.gif

The original or first Langdon Hills school stands at the summit of Crown Hill just beyond the church of St. Mary's and All Saints. It opened in 1860 and was run by the National Society set up by the Church of England to provide schools. In 1903 the Church of England took over its direct running.

The building was enlarged in 1882 and since closure in 1911, when the new school opened, had been used as a private residence, though remaining the property of the church. The schoolroom also doubled as a meeting place, being used by among others, the Parish Council.

Two former headmistresses were Miss Ada Marsh, who left around August 1891, and Miss Pitt, who was appointed in 1895.

Closure
In 1907 the first proposals for a new school to serve the existing parishes of Little Burstead, Lee Chapel, Laindon Hills and Laindon became known; the favoured location being somewhere near Laindon Station. The school at that time was in poor condition and experiencing an increase in numbers which caused H.M. Inspector of Schools to condemn the building. The new Council school eventually opened in 1911.

Sale of the building
In 2001 after the last occupants moved out the church put the building, which was now in need of renovation, up for sale. It sold for £130,000 and was sold again in 2006.

Up until 1962 it had a thatched roof.

On the outer brickwork there can be seen an engraved stone (L.H.S 1860), the initials of which lay claim to its former usage. For many years a wooden nameplate adorned the front wall with the words 'Old School House'.

Page added: 2002
blank.gif
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2002 with revisions 2006-2007,2010.
Copyright © 2002, 2006-2007,2010, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Copyright
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon Primary Schools Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM