The Laindon School (formerly Laindon High Road County
Secondary Modern) was opened in 1928.
The school, originally opened as Laindon High Road
Council School, initially provided education for mixed children of school age before becoming
solely secondary in 1933 when Markhams Chase Council School (now Janet Duke Primary) opened. The
schools' name then became Laindon High Road Senior School through to the 1950s.
Amongst the new admissions at the time of opening were 70 children transferred from Laindon Council
School. At the time of the transfer of Janet Duke Primary to the Markhams Chase site a further 50+
children below senior school age were transferred to Laindon Council School (now Laindon Park).
The schools' first Headmaster was Mr. George Radford, who remained in charge until
his retirement in December 1949. His assistant from February 1933 was Janet Duke who taught at the school and who had
charge of the Junior and Infants prior to the opening of Markhams Chase school later that
year. The schools other Headmasters were: Mr. Jack H.J. Woodward (1949 - 1962), who later took charge
at Woodlands Boys' School, Mr. W. Day (1963 - 1966), Mr. Arthur H.J. Chadband (1967 - c.1988), Mr.
Newton (1980s - 1990s), Mr. Brian Gillman (1990s - 1996) and Mr. Michael (Mike) Feehan (January
1997 - August 1998), the schools' last Headmaster (Acting), though by then the post had become Head Teacher. In
1966, following the departure of Mr. Day, Mrs D. Clark was appointed Acting Head.
Around 1958 the school became Laindon County Secondary through to the 1980s when the word 'The'
was added, which it remained until closure. The schools' motto during the final years was 'Positive attitudes
years the school has seen various building additions; the most recent in the late sixties, with
each department now being known as a block - the original school becoming L block. T. Block
(temporary) with demountable classrooms was added in the seventies and dismantled when the land
was later sold for a private housing development. In 1931 local landowner and coal merchant Mr.
William Gibbons gave permission to the school for the use of his field for football. Early on
the school also housed the areas library until it relocated sometime in the 1940s to an empty
shop at the southern end of the High Road.
A pupil House Championship was held each year
which from at least 1934 - and possibly from the time the school turned senior, used the names and associated colours Hillsmen (yellow), Plainsmen (blue),
Shoresmen (green) and Townsmen (red). This would later change to include some of the following:
Fry (Elizabeth Fry), Elgar (Edward William Elgar), Slessor (Mary Slessor), Austen (Jane Austen) and Curie (Marie Curie).
Sometime in the early 1960s or possibly earlier the schools' name was shortened to Laindon County
Secondary. The education standard at this time for the majority of mainstream secondary schools
other than Grammar was Secondary Modern. The reorganisation of local education in Basildon from
September 1968 introduced Comprehensive education for all schools in the new town.
Following falling numbers a
proposed amalgamation of Nicholas school and Laindon resulted in the creation of The James Hornsby High
School, (named after the last schoolmaster to teach in the St. Nicholas Church annexe).
The Nicholas site was considered the best location for the new school and the Laindon school
finally closed in July 1998.
From September 1998 the school became a temporary home for the James Hornsby High School while the
former Nicholas site in Leinster Road underwent extensive re-furbishment over a two year period. The
last day of education, this was brought forward to allow more time to transfer to the Leinster
Road site, was Friday 7th July, after which the school closed for good.
The swimming pool, opened in
April 1960, was for many years 'open-air' finally receiving a roof in 1972.
The former sixth
form block would later be used by the "Schools Out" pre-school nursery and "First Steps
The future of the school buildings and playing fields appeared undecided for many years with
much of it boarded up. That was until May 2007 when the bulldozers moved in to begin demolition
of the site, including the 1970s built caretakers house, in preparation for a new housing
development to bear the name Radford.
The original school building facing the High Road
was of pre-new town vintage, and joins a long list of notable demolitions to have taken place
since the towns inception.
Building work on the new housing development known as Radford Park
began soon after the schools demolition. This was by property builders Bellway Homes, who acquired
the site from Essex County Council. The former Archer Road school playing field was also lost
to the eventual development.
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the
sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not
modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display,
prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material
without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text
provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.