Basildon: Secondary Education
The Laindon High Road School along with Craylands - which mainly served the Vange, Pitsea and
Nevendon areas later incorporated into the new town - were the only schools teaching at
secondary level at the time that Basildon was designated a new town in 1949.
The first new purpose
built secondary school was Fryerns, which opened in 1956 as a Grammar and Technical
school. Timberlog secondary modern followed soon after in 1957 along with Woodlands (Boys) & (Girls) (1958),
Barstable, which also originally opened as a Grammar/Technical school (1962), Nicholas (1963),
Chalvedon (1965) - also the first Comprehensive school in the Basildon District,
and St. Anselms (Roman Catholic, 1972).
In 1968 Barstable Grammar merged with Timberlog to form Barstable Comprehensive. In the same
year Fryerns and Craylands also merged to form Fryerns Comprehensive. In 1978 Woodlands became a mixed school for all
years, and in 1996 St. Anselms was renamed De La Salle.
In the 1980s Laindon High Road was renamed The Laindon
School, and in 1998 closed along with Nicholas and merged to form The James Hornsby High
School, which in September 2000 relocated to the former Nicholas school site. Also in July 1999
Fryerns Community school - as it had then become - closed with pupils allocated places at
various other Schools in Basildon and the surrounding area.
In January 2006 Chalvedon and Barstable
became federated; becoming the Federation of Chalvedon School and Sixth Form College and
Barstable Schools. From September 2009 Barstable became The Basildon Lower Academy and
Chalvedon became The Basildon Upper Academy.