Regional Shopping Centres|
Barstable: Timberlog Lane, Long Riding, Luncies Road and Sandon Road
Year of photo:
The 16 units comprising the neighbourhood centre at Timberlog Lane was under construction during
1954. Eleven of the units are in Timberlog Lane and the remaining three, odd numbered 1 - 5, are in Long Riding.
Above the Timberlog Log Lane shops
are a combination of two storey maisonettes in one block and a second three storey block of maisonettes over 1st floor flats.
The first shops were let in early 1955. Stewards, T.V. and electrical dealers were one of the first to open on 2nd March 1955 along with Stacey's
hardware, which would give its name to the Long Riding/Timberlog Lane junction.
A public car park was also provided, along with three public
telephone boxes set in to the outer post office wall, though these would later be resited.
Some of the past and present businesses to have traded
|No. 199||Crown Post Office||Post Office||1950s|| |
|No. 201||Crown Post Office|
|No. 203||Howard's Dairies|
Wine & Spirit Merchants
W. Waide Pollard & Sons
|Drapers, Hosiery, Clothes|
Toys, Prams & Cycles
|No. 209||Kershaw & Cressy|
Peachey's Fresh Fare
|Wine and Spirit Merchants|
Greengrocers & Florists
|No. 211||Cox Bros.|
T. Gleed & Sons
|No. 213||Stewart N. Anderson|
|No. 215||Barnett's (K. Barnett)|
Styles Hair Studio
|Ladies' and Gents' Hair Stylists|
Newsagents and Confectionery
|No. 221||L. Stacey|
Stacey's Pie and Mash Shop
|Hardware, Paints, Paraffin|
Whirlpool Laundrette Co.
|Radio, T.V. & Electrical|
|No. 1||Barton's the Bakers|
|No. 3||The Bell - Achille Serre|
Wan Ying House
|Cleaners and Dyers|
Chinese Food Take-away
Fish 'N' Chick'N
|Fish and Chip Shop|
Fish and Chip shop
Fish and Chip Shop
The two units at Long Riding, Barstable West were built by the development
corporation who described them pantry shops. They were completed around July 1957 with upper flats accomodation.
Some of the businesses past and present are
|No. 303||W.D.J. Wright|
PC Planet UK Ltd.
|Groceries & provisions|
Computer components & Accessories
|No. 305||Newswell - E.E. Goodchild|
Long Riding News and Off-Licence
Confectionery, Tobacconists & Groceries
The two units at Luncies Road were built by the development corporation and
described as pantry shops. The were completed in late 1959 and designed with accommodation above which matches the style seen at numbers 562
and 564 Whitmore Way.
Some of the businesses are listed below:
|No. 51||W & D Crook|
|No. 53||J.A. Forman (late of 2 London Road, Pitsea)|
|Newsagents & Confectioners|
Newsagents and Confectioners
The single shop at Sandon Road opened
in the 1970s.
Some of the businesses past and present are listed below:
|No. 95||Wavy Line Supermarket|
Food and Wine Superstore
|Page added: 2013|
|Other points of interest:|
(1) Stacey's corner road junction was not the original Stacey's
corner. That had been where Timberlog Lane took a right hand bend into what was later named Timberlog Close in the direction of Craylands. The family
had lived on the corner there for many years where they traded paraffin and other hardware goods.
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2013.
Copyright © 2013, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the
sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not
modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display,
prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material
without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text
provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.