Regional Shopping Centres|
Main-Centre, Whitmore Way
Convenience Stores, Whitmore Way
Year of photo:
The main neighbourhood shopping centre in Whitmore Way was
under construction from 1957 with the first shops opening during 1958.
Some of the many businesses past and present to have traded there:
S. & D. Supermarkets Ltd.
M & F Foodmarket
Basildon Angling Centre
|Radio, T.V. & Electrical|
|No. 404||Gables Nursery (& at 104 Whitmore Way)|
Peacheys Fresh Fare
|Greengrocers & florist|
Greengrocers & florist
|No. 406||Westminster Wine|
Fish and Chip Shop
|No. 410||Jeffrey's Hair Fashions|
|Ladies' and Gentlemen's Salons|
|No. 412||Fryerns Town Sub Office|
|No. 414||Howard's Dairies|
Kibby's (rebranded: International (1972))
Sub post office
Post office services
|No. 416||G.L. Hill (Gerry Hill)|
P. Benson & Sons (Paul Benson)
|No. 418||J. Bass (Ilford) Ltd|
C.C. Wind (Colin Wind)
|No. 420||Martin's||Newsagent and confectioners||c.1960s|| |
|No. 422||S.J. Thomas|
|No. 424||Cheung Lee|
|No. 426||Gordan Studio|
|No. 428||K. Brock & Son (Ken Brock)|
Ladies and Gentlemen
|No. 430||Basildon Launderette Ltd.|
Nail, Tanning and Airbrush Centre
|No. 432||Grays Co-operative Society Ltd. (Co-op)|
Pram and baby specialists
|No. 434||Barton's the Bakers|
Tasty Buds Café
|No. 436||London Co-op|
|No. 440||Roy F.J. Wood (relocated: Pembroke House, 11 Northlands Pavement, Pitsea)||Insurance brokers||Pre /10/1958||c.1976|
|No. 442||Roy F.J. Wood (relocated: Pembroke House, 11 Northlands Pavement, Pitsea)||Insurance brokers||Pre /10/1958||c.1976|
Prior to the completion of the two pantry style shops at 562 and 564
Whitmore Way two temporary shops opened around the mid 1950s in a semi-detached house in Falkenham Rise off Whitmore Way. Following its
completion in early 1957 the two traders, whose businesses had originated in Laindon, vacated to the new shops and the houses returned to full residential use.
|No. ||R.H. & G. Higgins (relocated: 562 Whitmore Way)||Groceries||c.1957||1950s|
|No. ||Edwin R.F. Mills (relocated: 564 Whitmore Way)||Newsagents, tobacconists, confectioners||c.1956||1950s|
The two shop units at Whitmore Way were opened in
early 1957. They were built as permanent replacements for two temporary shops located in the newly built
houses at Falkenham Rise. The development corporation described them as pantry shops. The design
with accommodation above is also seen at Luncies Road.
Some of the past and present traders are listed
|No. 562||R.H. & G. Higgins|
|No. 564||Edwin R.F. Mills|
|Newsagent, Tobacconist, Confectionery|
Newsagent, Tobacconist, Confectionery
|Page added: 2013|
|Other points of interest:|
(1) Stewards later established shops at Basildon town centre and also organised some of the first firework displays.
(2) Roy F.J. Wood and Co. Ltd, insurance brokers, established in 1958 later moved in the 1970s to
Pembroke House, 11 Northlands Pavement, Pitsea where they remained until 18th December 2008 when the business closed
and existing policies were transferred to Swinton Insurance at 140/142 Clay Hill Road, Kingswood.
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2013.
Copyright © 2013, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the
sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not
modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display,
prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material
without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text
provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.