Regional Shopping Centres|
Sub-Centre, Whitmore Way
Convenience Stores, Pendle Drive
|Location: Whitmore Way
Year of photo: 1957
Comments: 1957 view of the original block before the extension was added in 1959.
The construction of Fryerns neighbourhood Sub-Centre in Whitmore Way was the
first large scale shopping development undertaken by Basildon Development Corporation. Building work commenced in 1952 on
a three-storey block of eight shop units with upper maisonettes on what was to be the first phase of the new
development. This was completed by 1953 when the first shops began opening.
The Jolly Friar public house and off
licence was also incorporated into the development; opening for business in 1955.
In 1959, in what would be phase two,
the three-storey block was extended by a further three units (No.S 90-86) and an additional two units were created in Battleswick which were
ready to-let the same year. The extension block was built at an angle to the main parade, perhaps to utilise as much of the available space between
the original block and Battleswick.
Some of the past and present traders:
|No. 106||G.A. Ling|
The Andy Store
|Hardware and Ironmongery|
D.I.Y., Paint & Timber
|No. 104||Gables Nursery (B. Malthouse)|
|Fruit, Vegetables, Frozen Food and Flowers|
|No. 102||Martin the Newsagent||Newsagent and Confectionery||1953|| |
|No. 100||Home & Colonial|
Capital Burger Bar
|No. 98||French and Moon|
Chemist (Mr. J.L. Dowdeswell - Opticians)
|No. 96||E.A. Orrock|
Barton's the Bakers
|Hosiery, Haberdashery, Wools|
|No. 92||H. Lawrence|
Michelle Childrens Wear
Hosiery, Haberdashery, Wools
Post Office services
|No. 90||Nelson & Ford Basildon Ltd.|
|Motorcycles & Accessories|
Motorcycles & Accessories
|No. 88||Bell Cleaners and Dyers Ltd.|
Wishy Washy Laundry
|No. 86||Gerald Hair Fashions|
Peter's Hair Fashions
|Ladies' and Gentlemen's Hairdressers|
Ladies' and Gentlemen's Hairdressers
|No. 1||Serenity Hair||Hairdressers|| || |
|No. 3||Battleswick Fish Bar||Fish and Chip shop||c.1960s|| |
The two shop units at Pendle Drive were
opened around August 1952. They were the first new shops to be constructed by Basildon Development Corporation
who described them as pantry shops and went on to build others at different locations within the
Some of the past and present traders to have occupied the units:
|No. 19||Grays Co-operative Society Ltd. (Co-op)|
|No. 23||Grays Co-operative Society Ltd. (Co-op)|
Off-Licence & Convenience Store
|Page added: 2013|
|Other points of interest:|
(1) The location for the Sub-Centre was previously the site of Fryerns Farm.
(2) Long serving socialist councillor Alf Dove was the first manager of the Co-op when it opened
for business in the summer of 1952.
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2013.
Copyright © 2013, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the
sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not
modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display,
prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material
without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text
provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.