blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Regional Shopping Centres
blank.gif

Kingswood: Cherrydown West and Clay Hill Road


blank.gif
Regional Shopping centre Regional Shopping Centre
blank.gif
Location: Cherrydown West
Photographer: J.C. Photography
Year of photo: 09/11/2006
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: Shops at Cherrydown West, Kingswood.
Location: Cherrydown West
Photographer: J.C. Photography
Year of photo: 09/11/2006
Copyright: Basildon History Online
Comments: Shops at Cherrydown West, Kingswood.
blank.gif

Sub-Centre
The three shop units at Cherrydown (now Cherrydown West) Sub-Centre were completed around 1960. Numbered 1, 3 and 5 the block has a short layby for parking and maisonette accommodation above each unit.

Below are some of the past and present traders to have occupied the units.

Cherrydown WestOpenClosed
No. 1Tucker
Harrington
Curry Master
Butchers
Butchers
Take-away
1961
1960s
c.2000s
1960s
c.1980s
 
No. 3Samdor
J & P Auto Spares
KDR Hairdressers
Glamour & Funk
Industry - Hairdressers & Barbers
Launderette
Car Accessories
Hairdressers
Hairdressers
Hairdressers
1960s
c.1970s
c.2000s
2010s
c.2016
c.1980s
c.2000
2010s
c.2016
 
No. 5Davies
P.M. Patel
Cherrydown News
Newsagent and confectionery
Newsagent and confectionery
Newsagent and Confectioner
1960s
c.2000s
2010s
 
2010s
 

Temporary shop in Witchards
Prior to the completion of the main Kingswood neighbourhood centre a temporary shop opened in March 1957 in two converted garages off Clay Hill Road at 132 Witchards. The grocers shop was run by Mr and Mrs Bert Hays who had been displaced from their former shop and home at Sunnypatch in Basildon Road, Laindon. Following its completion the shop vacated to the new centre and the garages returned to normal use.

Main Centre
The main neighbourhood centre at Clay Hill Road was under construction from late 1956 early 1957 with the first shops opening during 1958.

Businesses known to have traded there include:

Clay Hill Road (to summer/autumn 1963)OpenClosed
No. 257BabsDrapers and Female Fashionsc.1959 
No. 255Regency HouseHairdressers and Beauty Salon1960s 
No. 253    
No. 251K.P. Hill (Keith Hill)Butchers1959 
No. 249R. Miles (conf.) Ltd.
Kingswood Sub-post Office
Newsagent, tobacconist, confectioner, stationery & toys
Post Office services
1958
1958
 
 
No. 247M.D. GodfreyChemist, baby, cosmetics and photographic requisites1958 
No. 245Hays (Bert Hays)Grocery store19581960s
No. 243Johnson & Sons of Leigh-on-SeaFishmonger and poulterer19581960s

1963 renumbering of Clay Hill Road
In 1963 Clay Hill Road was extended from the Church Road junction to London Road,Vange along the course of the former Bull Road and the southern section of Timberlog Lane. This resulted in a change to the numbering sequence which was then reversed to begin at the town centre end. All odd numbered properties thus became even and vice versa.

Some of the past and present traders:

Clay Hill Road (from summer/autumn 1963)OpenClosed
No. 140Babs
Anthony Gover
Swinton Insurance
Drapers and Female Fashions
Insurance
Insurance
1963
1970s
c.1990s
1970s
1990s
10/06/2017
No. 142aDavid Ayes
Ladbrooks
Bespoke Tailor
Betting shop
1960s
1990s
c.1974
Open
No. 142Regency House
Anthony Gover
Kingswood Estate Agents
Swinton Insurance
Ladies' Hairdressers and Beauty Salon
Insurance
Estate Agents
Insurance
1967
1970s
1980s
c.1990s
1970s
c.1980s
--
10/06/2017
No. 144Allcures PharmacyPharmacy  
No. 146K.P. Hill (Keith Hill)
Kingswood Fish Bar
Butchers
Fish and Chip Shop
1963
 
 
 
No. 148R. Miles (conf) Ltd.
Martin's
Sub-Post Office
Newsagents and confectioners
Newsagents and Confectioners
Post Office Services
1963
c.1972
1960s
c.1972
 
 
No. 150M.D. Godfrey
Richardson Tropicals
High Spirits
Chemist
Tropical Fish
Off Licence
1960s
/04/1971
 
06/03/1971
c.1970s
 
No. 152Hays (Bert Hays)
Ho-Ho
Grocery store
Take-away
1963
 
--
 
No. 154Johnson & Sons of Leigh-on-Sea
Alley Barber
Fishmonger and poulterer
Hairdressers
1963
 
--
 
No. 162Colin's Hairdressers
Isis Beauty
Hairdressers
Beauty Treatment
1960s
 
 
 
blank.gif
Page added: 2013
blank.gif
Other points of interest:
(1) Tucker and Harrington butchers at No.1 Cherrydown were both family run businesses with various shops at Pitsea, Laindon, Langdon Hills, Lee Chapel North and Lee Chapel South.

(2) Richardson Tropicals at No. 150 was started by Brian Richardson, then deputy head of Millhouse junior school in Tavistock Road, Laindon.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2013.
Copyright © 2013, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.

Copyright
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display, prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.

Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon Shops Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM