blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Street Name Meanings
blank.gif
Langdon Hills - Laindon - Dunton - Lee Chapel North/South: N to Y
blank.gif
Albert Drive
Laindon
Named after the son of Albert Tyler Snr. who built houses and bungalows in Tyler Avenue and Albert Drive.
Ardleigh*
Lee Chapel South
A village in the Tendring Hundred. Old English version is Eardling, meaning a dwelling in a clearing. A house anywhere in Lee Chapel South is a dwelling in a clearing.
Arne Court/Mews
Laindon
Thomas Augustine Arne (12/03/1710 - 05/03/1778) English Composer. Born in King Street, Covent Garden, London, he received a public school education at Eton College in Berkshire. Three years after leaving he began earning his living through music and was soon an acclaimed composer. His best known piece is the patriotic song Rule, Britannia! which he set to music in 1740 from a poem by scottish poet James Thomson. He is buried at St. Paul's Church, Covent Garden, London.
Barnaby Way
Laindon
Barnaby Rudge is a character from the Charles Dickens novel Barnaby Rudge: A Tale of the Riots of 'Eighty, published in 1841.
Beecham Court
Laindon
(Sir) Thomas Beecham (29/04/1879 - 08/03/1961) English Conductor. Born in St. Helens, Lancashire, his father, Joseph was the eldest son of Thomas Beecham who founded the Beecham's Pills business. He began conducting in 1899 and was later the founder of both the London Philharmonic Orchestra in 1932 and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in 1946. He received a Knighthood in 1916.
Belstedes*
Lee Chapel North
Associated with the name of Henry de Belsted of Belstedes Hall farm in 1327; in the Chelmsford Hundred at Little Waltham.
Botelers*
Lee Chapel South
This name would perpetuate that of the moated house that stood near Holy Cross Church. Botelers belonged in Edward the Confessor's reign to Lefstan. The house is shown in the feedary of Castle-Hedingham that Wide de Bertlesdon held it in the time of Henry III.
Boult Road
Laindon
(Sir) Adrian Cedric Boult (08/04/1889 - 22/02/1983) English Conductor. Born in Chester, Cheshire and educated at Westminster School, London and Christ Church, Oxford. He conducted for the City of Birmingham Orchestra between 1924 and 1930 when he became Director of Music with the BBC and was very prolific in the recording studio. By the 1950s he was conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra and continued to conduct until the late 1970s. He was knighted in 1937.
Boytons*
Lee Chapel North
A farm in the Freshwell Hundred founded by Thomas de Boyton in 1328.
Brendon*
Laindon
This was the original name of Burntwown Farm in Layer de Ia Haye. This farm was in existence in 1300.
Bretons*
Lee Chapel North
From the place name (Breton Layer) in the Winstree Hundred. The word "layer" is pure Scandinavian for "clay" and its use has no parallel elsewhere in Essex. Breton was held by the family of Lewis Brite in 1420.
Byrd Court
Laindon
William Byrd (1543 - 04/07/1623) English Composer and Organist. Believed to have been born in 1543 in either Lincoln or London he developed an interest in music from a very young age and by his mid twenties was organist and choirmaster at Lincoln Cathedral. In around 1572 he moved to London where for the next 20 years he worked as a singer, composer and organist. He spent the last 30 years of his life at Stondon Massey in Essex and is buried in the churchyard in an unmarked grave.
Carol Close
Laindon
Derived from the title of the Charles Dickens novel of 1843 A Christmas Carol, or to give it its full title: A Christmas Carol in Prose, Being a Ghost Story of Christmas. The leading character being Ebenezer Scrooge, who holds everything other than money in contempt.
Carol Court
Laindon
See above description.
Copperfields
Laindon
Derived from the title of the Charles Dickens novel David Copperfield. Written in 1850 its full title is: The Personal History, Adventures, Experience, and Observation of David Copperfield the Younger of Blunderstone Rookery (which he never meant to be published on any account).
Cottis Close
Langdon Hills
Named after a local family who from 1908 established a bakery business in High Street, Billericay that spawned various shops in both Laindon and Langdon Hills. The founder, William J. Cottis, d.1932, was succeeded by his sons one of whom, John, took over the family name with his son for its Laindon/Langdon Hills shops and later 3 Kibcaps, Lee Chapel South shop. John Cottis also served as a local councillor.
Cross Green*
Lee Chapel South
This is a field name and also a farm name. In villages the village green sometimes has an elaborate cross set up in memory of a popular doctor or parson.
Danacre*
Laindon
A field name since 1487 in Stebbing in the Hinckford Hundred.
Dickens Drive
Laindon
Charles (John Huffam) Dickens (07/02/1812 - 09/07/1870) English Novelist. Among his most famous novels are The Pickwick Papers (1837); Oliver Twist (1839), Bleak House (1853) & Great Expectations (1861). He was born in Landport, near Portsmouth, Hampshire, but spent much of his youth in Camden Town, London. He died at Gad's Hill Place, his country residence in Higham-by-Rochester, Kent, and was buried at Poets Corner in Westminster Abbey, London. Early on he wrote under the pen name Boz. Most of his works initially appeared in serial form.
Dickens Court
Laindon
As description for Dickens Drive.
Dowland Walk
Laindon
John Dowland (1563? - 1626) English Lutenist and Composer of Lute Music. Thought to have lived in London, little is known of his early life though he is known to have moved to Paris in 1580. In 1612, having returned to England in 1606, he found work as one of James 1's lutenists. He was buried on 20 February 1626 though the date of his death remains unknown.
Eastley*
Lee Chapel South
That part of Lee Chapel lying to the east, i.e. Eastley.
Edgecotts*
Lee Chapel South
Edgecotts was a messuage (dwelling house with adjoining buildings and land) in Edward the Confessor's reign and now believed to be the Lee Chapel South area.
Eisenhower Road
Laindon
Dwight D.(avid) Eisenhower (14/10/1890 - 28/03/1969). U.S. General and Republican statesman, known as Ike. Twice elected, he served as the 34th President of the United States of America (1953 - 1961).
Eldeland*
Lee Chapel North
An area in Tillingham which in 1535 was "old land", i.e. land long under cultivation in those days.
Elgar Close
Laindon
(Sir) Edward William Elgar (02/07/1857 - 23/02/1934) English Composer.
Falstaff Place
Langdon Hills
Sir John Falstaff, a character in English playwright William Shakespear's play Henry V Parts 1-11 (1597). The term Falstaffian meaning jovial or dissolute; to act in such a way.
Fletchers*
Lee Chapel South
An Essex farm called Fletchers belonging to a certain John Henniker Esq was recorded in 1621. He was a burgess of Sudbury but owned several other farms in Essex - Wanners and Bishops Wood Green farms in Dunmow Hundred and several more spread over the County.
Fonteyn Close
Laindon
(Dame) Margot Fonteyn (18/05/1919 - 21/02/1991) English Classical Ballerina. Born Margaret Hookham
Ford Close
Laindon
Gerald R.(udolph) Ford (14/07/1913 - 26/12/2006) as Leslie Lynch King. Republican politician and 38th President of the United States of America (1974 - 1977). Appointed Vice-President to Richard Nixon under the terms of the 25th Amendment, he became President following Nixon's unprecedented resignation on 09/08/1974 in what became known as the 'Watergate Scandal'; thus becoming the first & only President to serve without having been elected President or Vice-President. He stood as candidate at the next election but was defeated by the Democrat Jimmy Carter. At the time of his death, aged 93, he was also the longest lived President.
Fraser Close
Laindon
(John) Malcolm Fraser (21/05/1930 - ). Australian statesman and Liberal politician. As leader of the Australian Liberal party Fraser was appointed "caretaker Prime Minister" following the dismissal of Gough Whitlam's Labour Government on 11/11/1975 (an act unprecedented in Australian political history). In the election that followed he triumphed becoming Prime Minister from (1975 - 1983). This term of office included two successive election victories (1977) & (1980) before being defeated by Labour candidate Bob Hawke in 1983.
Gaynesford*
Lee Chapel South
John Gebyon held the land in this area in 1396 by Knight's service. Margaret, his only daughter had a daughter by her marriage with John Symond and it was she who brought part of this area in marriage to William Gaynesford who died possessed of it on 20th May 1484.
Gernons*
Lee Chapel South
After the family of Gernons who held a Manor in Essex for 300 years.
Gladwyns*
Lee Chapel North
A farm and field name in Little Horkesley in the Lexdon Hundred. This farm was associated with the name of Thomas Gladewynes in 1450.
Great Gregorie*
Lee Chapel South
This is a stretch of woodlands in Theydon Bois and is named after the family of Gregory de Theydon established there in 1250.
Handley Green*
Laindon
The word Hanlee, meaning a clearing, was used in 1323 in the parish of Fryerning in the Chelmsford Hundred.
Hatterill*
Laindon
Essex field name.
Holst Avenue
Laindon
Gustav Theodore Holst (21/09/1874 - 25/05/1934) English Composer.
Hoover Drive
Laindon
Herbert Clark Hoover (10/08/1874 - 20/10/1964). Republican statesman; he served as the 31st President of the United States of America (1929 - 1933).
Ingaway*
Lee Chapel South
The stream of Inga. Ingrebourne in Hornchurch where the Inga people lived. This name is probably as old as any in the County.
Jefferson Avenue
Laindon
Thomas Jefferson (13/04/1743 - 04/07/1826). Democratic-Republican statesman; Twice elected, he served as the 3rd President of the United States of America (1801 - 1809). Principal author of the United States Declaration of Independence document of 1776.
Kathleen Ferrier Crescent
Laindon
Kathleen Ferrier (22/04/1912 - 08/10/1953). Born in Higher Walton, near Preston, Lancashire, she was considered to be one of the most noteworthy contralto singers of the 20th century. Already an accomplished pianist, she turned professional at age 25 before moving to London in 1942. A recording career followed in 1944 along with concert appearances in Europe and America, but her success was all too brief - her life tragically ended after a long battle against cancer; aged 41.
Kennedy Avenue
Laindon
John Fitzgerald Kennedy (29/05/1917 - 22/11/1963). Democrat statesman; known as JFK, elected 35th President of the United States of America (1961 - 1963). He is still the youngest elected President, at age 43, and the youngest to die, aged 46, when he was sensationally assassinated at Dallas, Texas, on 22/11/1963.
Knights
Lee Chapel North
Kinghts is a common Essex field name. A farmstead in the Lexden Hundred in the villeage of Great Horkesley nr. Colchester was associated with the family of Robert Knyaght dating back to 1450.
Lee Walk*
Lee Chapel South
Derived from the Lee Chapels neighbourhood.
Leysings*
Lee Chapel South
This was a messuage (dwelling house with adjoining buildings and land) in this area owned by Sir John Tyrell who held the manor of the Bishop of London and of the King. Sir John died on 28th February 1540 leaving John Tyrell Esq., his son and heir, who was then 26 years old.
Markhams Chase/Close
Lee Chapel North
Named after the Markham family who farmed extensively at Great Berry, Langdon Hills and Laindon including the former Bluehouse Farm which once abounded the road. Charles Markham also ran a diary shop in High Road Laindon near the junction with Somerset Road.
Markhams Close
Lee Chapel North
See above description.
Menzies Avenue
Laindon
Robert Gordon Menzies (Sir) (20/12/1894 - 14/05/1978). Australian statesman and politician; he was knighted in 1963. He led the Australian Liberal party in seven election victories and served a record 18 years as Australian Prime Minister between (1939 - 1941) and (1949 - 1966).
Morris Court
Laindon
Named in recognition of the former chairman of Basildon Community Housing Association Phil Morris. BCHA were based from 1996 in the former St. Teresa's Hall, which stood adjacent to Morris Court from 1971 to 2012.
blank.gif
Page added: 2002
Note:
All street entry information marked with an asterisk (*) appears courtesy of the Basildon Council website, and can be seen in the Council publication entitled 'History of Basildon, Billericay & Wickford'.

Text researched and written 2002 with revisions and additions 2002-2007.
Copyright © 2002-2007, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Streets Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM