blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Street Name Meanings
blank.gif
Langdon Hills - Laindon - Dunton - Lee Chapel North/South: N to Y
blank.gif
Newberry Side*
Laindon
Essex field name.
Northey* (no longer used)
Laindon
This is the name of a farm in the Belchamp Walter area in the Hinckford Hundred. The Farm has been in occupation since 1254.
Pamplins*
Lee Chapel North
Sometimes written Pamphlins or more rarely and at a much earlier date Pamphlions. A name of a farm in the Uttlesford Hundred associated with the family of Geoffrey Pamphlun in 1306.
Panadown*
Lee Chapel North
Essex field name.
Paprills*
Lee Chapel South
A farm in East Hanningfield mentioned in Chapman and Andre's survey of 1777 and then called Paperells.
Pickwick Close
Laindon
Derived from the title of the Charles Dickens novel The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, or as it is most widely known, The Pickwick Papers. It was Dickens first novel; the main character being Mr. Samuel Pickwick, and published over 19 issues from March 1836 to October 1837.
Puckleside
Langdon Hills
Named after Laindon landowner John Puckle who under the terms of his last will left his lands to pay for the maintenance of a schoolmaster to teach the poor children of the parish. This being Puckle's Farm in Wash Road. He died in 1617.
Purcell Close
Laindon
Henry Purcell (10/09/1659? - 21/11/1695) English Composer.
Rantree Fold*
Lee Chapel South
The enclosure, usually in the north with stone walls, and in the south nowadays with netting now that a large amount of the hedge has been cut down. Rantree or rowantree gives the name to the fold by its presence and was used to distinguish it from the other fold which might have had a different tree growing in it or in the hedge.
Rising Grove* (no longer used)
Laindon
A farm at Langehoe in the Winstree Hundred. Associated with the family of Clement de Rysinge in 1253.
Roosevelt Road
Laindon
Theodore Roosevelt (27/10/1858 - 06/01/1919). Republican politician & twice elected 26th President of the United States of America (1901 - 1909). Formally Theodore Jr. and 5th cousin to later President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Franklin D.(elano) Roosevelt (30/01/1882 - 12/04/1945). Democrat politician; known as FDR, he served as 32nd President of the United States of America (1933 - 1945) and was the only President to be elected 4 times.
Ross Way
Langdon Hills
George Ross (25/03/1909 - 03/12/2000). Chairman of the Residents Protection Association for 20 years, and Laindon resident from 1924. He and others campaigned for freehold rights and adequate compensation on behalf of property owners compulsory purchased during the development of Basildon new town. His book, The Brink of Despair, published in 1986, is a detailed account of those times, as well as being of great historical interest in the development of Laindon between 1915 and 1986. He lived at Kenmore, New Century Road and is buried in Laindon at St. Nicholas Church graveyard in a shared grave with his wife May.
Sains
Lee Chapel North
A farm at Great Totham in the Thurstable Hundred; mentioned in Philip Morant's The History and Antiquities of Essex in 1768 and was in the ownership of Robert, son of Sewin, in 1549.
Shakespeare Avenue
Langdon Hills
William Shakespeare (23/04/1564 - 23/04/1616) English dramatist and poet. Born and died in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, but spent much of his life as an actor and playwright in London. Plays with approximate dates include: Romeo & Juliet (1594); Henry V (1598); Hamlet (1600); Othello (1604); King Lear (1605) & Macbeth (1605).
Somercotes/Court*
Laindon
Essex field name.
Sporhams*
Lee Chapel South
A farm in Sandon in the Chelmsford Hundred. Associated with the family of William Sporun in 1254.
Spurriers* (no longer used)
Laindon
An old farm which has now been lost in the building of Harlow New Town. The farm was connected with the family of Sporiere since 1359.
Staneway*
Lee Chapel South/Langdon Hills
The Roman road to Colchester is so named in one or two places. The Road of Stone. Old English Stanweg.
St. Nicholas Lane
Laindon
The church of St. Nicholas which stands atop a sharp rise has looked down upon Laindon since the 13th century.
Tallis Road
Laindon
Thomas Tallis (c.1505 - 23/11/1585) English Composer.
Teagles*
Lee Chapel North
Teagles is also very suitable for this area as it is an old English word for scrub land which, on account of the brambles and thorns, was difficult to enter easily.
The Frame*
Lee Chapel North
There are two farms so named in the County, one in Tolleshunt D'Arcy which once belonged to Beeleigh Abbey and the other near Feering, in which parish land was owned by St John's Abbey in 1400. Both farms were evidently farmed by friars as they appear in the records as "ffreres" and "frere".
The Knares*
Lee Chapel South
This is a common field name in Essex and occurs in many localities but nearly always denotes a field stretching down on a slope to a water course.
The Lynge* (no longer used)
Laindon
The Lynge was the name of a river since lost in the development of Laindon. The river rose in the hill behind Laindon and flowed to the River Crouch.
Thornbush*
Lee Chapel North
The area of this road in Basildon originally consisted of thornbush.
Truman Close
Laindon
Harry S. Truman (08/05/1884 - 26/12/1972). Democrat statesman & 33rd President of the United States of America (12/04/1945 - 20/01/1953). Truman, as Vice-President, succeeded to office on the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt, and, in 1948, defeated his Republican opponent Thomas Dewey to remain in office. Truman's middle initial was his own invention, said to originate from the names of his grandfathers.
Tyler Avenue
Laindon
Tyler Avenue took its name from the surname of a man responsible for the construction of many of its houses and bungalows. Sometimes seen as Tylers Avenue on pre-1960s street maps.
Vaughn Williams Road
Laindon
Ralph Vaughn Williams (12/10/1872 - 26/08/1928) English Composer.
Victoria Road/Close
Laindon
Alexandrina Victoria (24/05/1819 - 22/01/1901) Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. She was born the only child to Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld at Kensington Palace, in London. She reigned for 63 years and 7 months, longer than any other monarch before or since.
Walton Court
Laindon
(Sir) William Turner Walton (29/03/1902 - 08/03/1983) English Composer. He was knighted in 1951.
Washington Avenue
Laindon
George Washington (22/02/1732 - 14/12/1799). U.S. General & Statesman. The 1st elected President of the United States of America (1789 - 1797). Re-elected as a Federalist in 1792. A state and America's capital city Washington, D.C. are named in honour of him.
Wetherland*
Lee Chapel South
A wether is a male sheep. Again this is a field name. Wethersfield. Wethercote. It is necessary to keep the wether or tup as we call him in the north, separate from the ewes except in the tupping season and the field where he lives is the wetherland, or wethersfield and in the north where the upland winds blow he has a cote or hut to keep him warm. Wether is Anglo-Saxon.
Weymarks*
Lee Chapel North
A farm in the Dengie Hundred - associated with the wife of Wymund Senescot in 1235.
Wickhay*
Lee Chapel North
A farm and cottages in Little Baddow in the Chelmsford Hundred. These were built in 1250 and were then called Wickheye.
Woolmergreen*
Lee Chapel North
A farm at Stisted in the Hinckford Hundred. Built in 1371, it was originally called Wolfeth Shey Gardyn.
blank.gif
Page added: 2002
Note:
All street entry information marked with an asterisk (*) appears courtesy of the Basildon Council website, and can be seen in the Council publication entitled 'History of Basildon, Billericay & Wickford'.

Text researched and written 2002 with revisions and additions 2002-2007.
Copyright © 2002-2007, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Streets Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM