blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Street Name Meanings
blank.gif
Barstable - Basildon - Fryerns - Ghyllgrove - Kingswood: A to M
blank.gif
Alcotes*
Barstable
A hamlet and farm in the Hinckford Hundred and was mentioned in the Chancery Proceedings in 1422. Probably in old English "Old Cottage". Hamlet is near Bocking.
Audley Way*
Ghyllgrove
The manorial name of Audley commemorates the gift to Sir Thomas Audley by Henry VIII of the lands of the Abbey of Walden in 1538.
Ayletts*
Barstable
This is the name of an old farm in the Chelmsford Hundred near Broomfield. It was owned by John Aylet in 1381.
Beehive Lane*
Fryerns
This is one of the old lane names in the designated area. It is just the name of the lane where the beehives were kept. Could be quite modern.
Bentalls
Pipps Hill
Jullanoe, yawl of 126 tons, built and designed by F. H. Bentall of Bentalls, manufacturers of Ploughs. Launched at Heybridge on the River Blackwater.
Braybrooke*
Ghyllgrove
The first Lord Braybrooke in the late 18th Century took over Audley End, "the noblest house in Essex", on which he spent £100,000 on restorations and established the house as a treasure house of books and art. The third Lord Braybrooke is famous as the first editor of Pepys. The present Lord Braybrooke is the 9th holder of the title.
Canterbury Close
Craylands/Fryerns
.
Chester Hall Lane
Pipps Hill Industrial Estate
Chester Moor Hall (09/12/1703 - 17/03/1771) was the inventor of the Achromatic Lens used in several self built telescopes in 1733. The barrister and mathematician was born in Essex at Leigh-on-Sea though he later moved to Sutton in Surrey where he died in 1771. He failed to patent his discovery and it was British telescope maker John Dollond, who having perfected his own lens in 1758, succeeded in obtaining a patent.
Chester Way
Craylands/Fryerns
.
Chichester Close
Craylands/Fryerns
.
Chittock Gate/Mead*
Barstable
Named after a local family who have lived in this area many years.
Cranes Farm Road
Basildon
Hugh le Crane is said to have been the first farmer to farm the area in 1272.
Crompton Close*
Pipps Hill Industrial Estate
Rookes Evelyn Bell Crompton (31/05/1845 - 15/02/1940). Electrical Engineer, pioneer motorist and founder of the Chelmsford firm Crompton & Co. in 1878.
Culverdown
Ghyllgrove
Culver Down is a chalk cliff located close to Sandown on the Isle of Wight. The origins of the name is believed to derive from the Old English word Culfre, which meant dove. The word culver is also used as an alternative name for the common woodpigeon, a member of the dove and pigeon family, particularly in south east, England. It was this association that was used in the naming of the chalk down.
Dewlands*
Ghyllgrove
A farm in Black Notley first notified in the public record office in 1567.
Durham Walk
Craylands/Fryerns
.
Exeter Close
Craylands/Fryerns
.
Ely End
Craylands/Fryerns
.
Gibcracks*
Barstable
One of the oldest farms in the County. Associated with the family of Robert de Gibecrake in 1287. It is situated in the Thurstable Hundred at Great Totham.
Gobions*
Kingswood
This name has been given to both areas and farms here in Essex and in the Midlands. Here in Essex the farm in Mucking is associated with the family of Thomas Gubyun in 1306. Great Leighs was also called Gobions in 1376.
Hereford Walk
Craylands/Fryerns
.
High Barretts*
Barstable
The name of a new Manor House built by John Baret in 1428. The new house was built opposite the old moated manor, which was later pulled down. The house also gives its name to the nearby hamlet in the Bocking Area in the Hinckford Hundred.
Howard Chase*
Pipps Hill Industrial Estate
Luke Howard (28/11/1772 - 21/03/1864). Chemist, Botanist, Meteorologist & Philanthropist. Founder of the chemical works in Ilford now, but started in West Ham.
Lincoln Road
Craylands/Fryerns
Lincoln Cathedral, or the Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Lincoln stands in the city of Lincoln, Lincolnshire. It was built between 1185 to 1311 using the stone from which it stands on and has three towers. Lincoln Cathedral at a height of 272 feet also had the distinction of being the tallest building in the world from 1311 to 1549 and even today has the tallest cathedral tower in Europe without a spire.
Little Chittock*
Barstable
Named after a local family who have lived in this area many years.
Luckyn Lane
Pipps Hill Industrial Estate
Luckyn Lane is situated at Pipps Hill (originally Industrial Estate No.2). Lionel Lukin (18/05/1742 - 16/02/1834). Born to William Lukin and Anne Stokes of Blatches, Little Dunmow, Lionel Lukin was the inventor of lifeboats. The road acquired its name in the 1960s when the Industrial Estate was first built by Basildon Development Corporation. It is not known why this road is spelt Luckyn.
Lynstede*
Barstable
A hamlet and farm in the Dunmow Hundred. In 1399 the farm was owned by Wlliam Lynstede.
Meredene*
Barstable
Is the old name of Marden in the Ongar Hundred. The meaning of the word is "Boundary Valley" and is the old name for the valley between High and Chipping Ongar.
Miles Gray Road
Pipps Hill Industrial Estate
Miles Gray (1575 - 1649). Bellfounder from the parish of St. Mary's, Colchester, Langham and Saffron Walden. The first of three generations of Gray's, all named Miles, who cast bells, some of which can still be found in Essex churches and beyond.
blank.gif
Page added: 2002
Note:
All street entry information marked with an asterisk (*) appears courtesy of the Basildon Council website, and can be seen in the Council publication entitled 'History of Basildon, Billericay & Wickford'.

Text researched and written 2002 with revisions and additions 2002-2007.
Copyright © 2002-2007, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Streets Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM