blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Street Name Meanings
blank.gif
Chalvedon - Felmore - Nevendon - Pitsea - Vange: A to M
blank.gif
Bodiam Close
Pitsea
.
Braemar Walk
Pitsea
.
Burns Avenue
Pitsea
.
Byfletts*
Vange
A small field in the manor of Hempstead Hall which on 25 October 1720 was leased for 500 years at the rental of 4d. (fourpence) per annum. This area is still under cultivation but will be lost to housing.
Caister Drive
Pitsea
.
Carlisle Way
Pitsea
.
Christopher Martin Road*
Cranes Industrial Estate
Named after the Billericay miller who ground flour for the voyage of the first "Mayflower".
Corfe Close
Pitsea
.
Courtauld Road*
Burnt Mills Industrial Estate
George Courtauld was the founder of the Essex silk industry in the 18th century.
Dover Way
Pitsea
.
Edinburgh Way
Pitsea
.
Goldings Crescent
Vange
.
Grapnells*
Vange
A farm in the Rochford Hundred. This name comes from the family of Grapinel who in the year 1086 held half a hide in the Manor of Prittlewell.
Harlech Close
Pitsea
.
Harvey Road*
Burnt Mills Industrial Estate
Gabriel Harvey was a prosperous ropemaker of Saffron Walden; he attended Queen Elizabeth I at Audley End. He was also a poet and scholar.
Josselin Road*
Burnt Mills Industrial Estate
Ralph Josselin of Earls Colne was a diarist who wrote an accurate history of Essex during the Civil War.
Ludlow Mews*
Pitsea
.
Mollands*
Vange
Mollands has been a farm in South Ockendon in the Chafford Hundred since 1352. Molland was a term of land tenure emancipated from forced labour and held on payment of a fair rent.
Moss Close
Vange
The Moss family were a farming family who lived locally. They farmed in Vange at Goldings Farm, Hill Farm, Luncies Farm and Merricks Farm and in Basildon at Fairhouse Farm and Barstable Hall.
Moss Drive
Vange
See entry above.
blank.gif
Page added: 2002
Note:
All street entry information marked with an asterisk (*) appears courtesy of the Basildon Council website, and can be seen in the Council publication entitled 'History of Basildon, Billericay & Wickford'.

Text researched and written 2002 with revisions and additions 2002-2007.
Copyright © 2002-2007, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Streets Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM