blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
      Add to Favourites
   
blank.gif
Vange
blank.gif

High Road, Vange, shops, houses, businesses and public buildings between Timberlog Lane junction and the railway under bridge.

For the properties on the north side of High Road follow this link.

Please note: This is a work in progress with updates as information becomes available. Where it exists, photographic evidence of the shop nameboard has been used in the naming of many of the businesses. Other additional information where known is also included with each property.

blank.gif
High Road, Vange, Shops & Properties - South Side (2)
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between London Road and Riverton Drive
NumberShop/House Name Business - Property TypeOpen/Built
approx.
Closed
Demolished
Still Exists
approx.
74H. Mills (Harry Mills) (Florrie Mills)
K. Brock & Son (Ken Brock)
(and at 428 Whitmore Way, Fryerns)
Fruiterer, greengrocer and flower seller
Hardware, mowers, carpet sweepers etc.
Detached property.
Residence
c.1929
c.1965
1960s
c.1974
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Riverton Drive and Thamesville Drive
72No property associated with number.
70No property associated with number.
68The Top Boot Shop - Boot Repairs E.A. Kightly
L.M. Tew
(Horace Harold Tew)
(Lucy M. Tew)
Bespoke Bootmaker (Edward Archibald Kightly)
Shoe repairs (also at Pitsea and Thundersley)
Semi-detached house with No. 66.
c.1930s
Pre-1949
1940s
--
66S. Relph (Samuel Relph)
G.E. Conduit (George E. Conduit)
(relocated: 465 Clay Hill Road, Vange)
Chemist (also at High Road, Laindon)
Chemist
Semi-detached house with No. 68.
Upper flat residence
1940s
1949
1949
1970s
64 
Robinson Hales & Co. Ltd.
Mansons
Sweet shop?
?
Tobacconist & confectioner
C.V. Mann resident 1956/62.
Semi-detached house with No. 62.
Pre-1947
1947
Pre /06/1956
--
--
c.1974
62(Mr Rose)
Kingston Smith (William John Smith)
D. Royce (Douglas Royce)
Peters Hair Fashions
Haberdashery
Haberdashery (Cash Draper)
Hairdresser (still trading /10/1965)
Hairdresser
Semi-detached house with No. 64
--
Pre-1949
c.1964
c.1970
--
--
--
c.1974
60Bareham's (Samson Bareham)
Vange Radio & Electrical Co. (Speirs Bros.)
Hickley's
General Dealer
Agent for Murphy, Pilot, Invicta Radios and Televisions
Domestic Electrical Dealer
Pre-1949
Pre /06/1956
c./02/1960
--
c.1960
Post /01/1964
58Unknown
Samson Bareham, Joseph Bareham
Resident
Furniture Dealer
End terrace (4 of 4), house residence
c.1900s
1947
--
1970s
56 Mid terrace (3 of 4), house residence c.1900s--
54Residence
Basildon & Vange Old People's Welfare Committee Clubhouse
Mid terrace (2 of 4), house residence c.1900s
02/04/1960
--
--
52H.C. English (Herbert Charles English)
Kemp A. Abbott
Kemp's Stores (H.R. Kemp, R.O. Kemp, E.S. Kemp)
Howard's Dairies
Dowdall & Jordan (and from /05/1970 at Gibcracks, Barstable)
(Ted Dowdall & Vic Jordan)
Post Office & Provisions
Post Office & Provisions
Post Office & Provisions
Dairy Produce
Upholstery Showroom
End terrace (1 of 4), upper residence
Pre /09/1917
--
--
Pre /06/1958
/02/1971
--
--
--
c.1970
1970s
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Thamesville Drive and Whytewater Avenue
Central HallHall for social events. Site was later cleared and remained undeveloped. c.1900sDemolished Pre-1948
48Highways
J.H. Seely - Seely's
(Jess G.H. Seely) (and at 459 Clay Hill Road, Vange)
Butcher
Butcher
Semi-detached house with No. 46.
Upper residence
c.1930s
c.1940s
1940s
--
46Weeks (Mr. & Mrs. Weeks)
The Wool Shop (P.B. White) (& at Broadway, Pitsea)
Greens Stores (Ilford) Ltd.
Fish and Greengrocery shop
Wool shop
Foodstore with branches throughout Essex
Semi-detached house with No. 48.
Upper residence
c.1930s
c.1940s
c.1948
c.1940s
c.1948
--
38F.C. Daniel (Frederick Cecil Daniel)
Bedwell Bros. (Leonard John Bedwell)
Corn Merchant, Ironmonger, Grocer
Menswear Outfitters & Shoes
Residence
c.1908
1947
Post /04/1930
Post /10/1963
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Whytewater Avenue and Riverview Road
36W. George
Steward's (William J. Steward)
L.E. Newton Ltd.
Confectioner & Tobacco, Car & Cycles agent
Confectioner, Tobacconist, Newsagent & Toys
Shell Petrol, Radio and Television (sales & repairs)
Steward's under the managership of Jack Shepard would later open shops at 7 Southend Road, Wickford, 223 Timberlog Lane (02/03/1955), 402 Whitmore Way (/06/1958), 47 East Walk (26/11/1958*), 32 Southernhay (c./10/1959) and 1 - 9 East Square (1959*) Basildon until 1965*.
Upper residence
Pre-1931
Pre-1949
Pre /06/1955
--
--
Post /05/1959
34
The Parade
H. Simmonds
Vange Corn Stores (Frank Archibald Smith) (Albert Plummer)
Midland Bank
Corn and Seed Merchant
Corn and Seed Merchant
Bank
Upper residence
1941
1947
1960s
1947
1950s
1970s
32
The Parade
E.J. Cattle & Sons
The Wool Shop
Fishmongers
Wool
Upper residence
1947
1950s
--
--
30
The Parade
Ministry of Labour and National Service (relocated: 45 Bowlers Croft, Nevendon)Employment Exchange
Upper residence
1950sc.1966
28
The Parade
Ministry of Labour and National Service (relocated: 45 Bowlers Croft, Nevendon)Employment Exchange
Upper residence
1950sc.1966
26
The Parade
Ministry of Labour and National Service (relocated: 45 Bowlers Croft, Nevendon)
Doctor's Surgery
Employment Exchange
Dr. G.W.E. Walker, medical practitioner
Upper residence
1950s
1960s
c.1966
1970s
24
The Parade
Frances
James H. Bews
Ladies Hairdresser
Florist
Upper residence
--
1956
--
1960s
22H.C. Turner (Herbert Charles Turner)
Buranden Manufacturing Co.
Bell Cleaners & Dyers
R. Stonell
L. Moss Ltd.
G. Welford-Giddings, F.A.D.O.
(late of 127 Timberlog Lane, Vange) (relocated: 1 Tudor Chambers, Station Lane, Pitsea)
Draper, General Stores
Unknown business
Dry Cleaners (& at Laindon & Wickford)
Hardware, Glassware, China, Furniture & Timber Supplies
--
Medical Eye Centre (dispensing opticians)
Single-storey shop
Residence
Pre-1949
1949
/03/1952
c.1955
c.1957
c./08/1962
c.1952
--
c.1955
c.1957
--
c.1974
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Riverview Road and Freshwater Drive
10 Residence c.1918--
8
Oscroft
ResidenceHenry W. Rawlings (1949)
Rosina J. Rawlings
William J. Rawlings
C.P.O. 11/08/1972
--c.1972
Vange & Pitsea Fire StationEssex County Fire Brigade Garage 1936--
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Freshwater Drive and Riverview
6Ministry of Labour and National Service
Inland Revenue
Custom & Excise
House residence
C.P.O. 11/08/1972
1935post 1967
4?The Busy Bee CafeCafe
Single storey building
--post 1967
 Evelin Bros. (Ernest Evelin) (Reginald Evelin)
W. Bundy & Sons Ltd.
Garage (Est. 1920)
Garage, haulage contractor and second hand car dealer
1920s
1960s
--
c.1974
Vange & Pitsea Working Mans ClubWorking Mans Club /07/1927Open
Vange Service StationPetrol station and car repairs (Regent)
Vange Self-Drive Co. (1970s)
Pre-1949c.1990s
Demolished
Coco Markus Centre - P.D.S.A.
(People's Dispensary for Sick Animals)
Animal Surgery
Built on the site of Vange service station.
20/06/2003Open
--Tower RadioHousehold electrical appliances 1970s2015
--Valerie Lodge Day CentreBasildon Mind (Support for mental distress) c.1980s 
--Unknown business
Tower Cafe (Geoffrey V. Thompson)
Basildon Association for the Visually Handicapped and Deaf
Unknown business
Cafe
Training & rehabiliation centre
Pre-1949
/08/1970
24/04/1981
--
1970s
1980s
Shops, houses, businesses & public buildings between Riverview and Chestnut Road
The Perfecto Health Club
Proprietor: Harry Rothery
Fitness health centre, outdoor heated swimming pool, sauna, solarium, sun beds, salon and licensed bars (entrance in Riverview) 01/03/19711980s
The Chestnut CentreHall (available for hire)
Playgroup
Majorette rehearsals
Pre-1973Pre /02/1988
?Basildon Development CorporationOffice ----
blank.gif
Page added: 2009
blank.gif
Other points of interest:
Riverton Drive, Thamesville Drive, Whytewater Avenue, Riverview Road, Freshwater Drive and Chestnut Road no longer survive having, with the exception of Chestnut Road, been lost to a Basildon Development Corporation housing estate constructed in the 1970s.

Text researched and written by William Cox, 2009 with revisions and additions 2009-2015.
Copyright © 2009-2015, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
blank.gif
Contact: E-Mail
blank.gif
Back a Page Vange Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM