blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2009 Forum Threads - July to December

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2009 entries
Click here for January - June entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

31) The Bull, Pitsea - 2 replies.
32) Blast from the past - 2 replies.
33) The Gun Inn - 2 replies.
34) St. Michael's Pitsea - 7 replies.
35) Laindon Recorder - 4 replies.
36) Marshall family of Armada Avenue, Laindon - 2 replies.
37) Laindon United FC - 4 replies.
38) Blog
39) Roger Honeyball
40) Ann Purle - 1 reply.
41) Tom Levine - 3 replies.
42) Basildon/Laindon Postmen - 11 replies.
43) Spooks Club - 5 replies.
44) Ernie Byron - 3 replies.
45) Basildon Market - 3 replies.
46) Cullender family
47) Peter Kruder
48) Laindon - 17 replies.
49) Gibson family - 2 replies.
50) Pitsea rail crash - 6 replies.
51) High Road, Laindon - 3 replies.
52) Laindon Station - 9 replies.
53) 1958 Flood - 6 replies.
54) My Book "This is Basildon" - 9 replies.
55) Prince of Wales to the Crown publicans' race - 9 replies.
56) Johnny Copperwheat
57) Happy Christmas - 2 replies.
58) "Old Bonner" - 6 replies.
59) Christmas Greetings - 2 replies.
60) New Year Greetings - 1 reply.
61) Goodale - Bowers Gifford
blank.gif
31.  The Bull, Pitsea
Posted by Karen Hought Email User on 9/7/2009, 8:24 pm
My family tell me that my Grandfather David Richardson and his wife Lottie ran the Bull Pub in Pitsea around 1945-1950. Does anyone remember them?
They also lived off Rectory Road, Pitsea and Pound Lane, Bowers Gifford around the same time.
Any information about them or the staff who worked at the Bull at that time would be greatly appreciated.

Re: The Bull, Pitsea
Posted by Bruce Bellamy Email User on 3/1/2011, 11:05 pm
not an exact response to this post...but just an interesting connection...the uncle of a good friend of mine (the last owner/occupier of 'The Haven' Langdon Hills) was in the late 50's or early 60's the landlord of the Bull in Pitsea.. I forget the name of the uncle but when my pal married another school friend living a bit further down 3rd Avenue the reception was held in The Bull

Re: The Bull, Pitsea
Posted by Karen Hought Email User on 9/2/2011, 10:56 pm
Thanks, i do know that they left pitsea about 1950 although i now think that a Derek Hickmore lives in the area who was David Richardsons sisters son. Maybe he dropped in for a pint now and then. Karen

32.  Blast from the past
Posted by Andrea Ash (nee Pinnell) Email User on 12/7/2009, 6:42 pm
Just seen JOHN HAMMERSLAG'S name pop up here. I believe I worked with you at Brown & Tawse?? My husband Chris remembers you too. I know where you lived in Pitsea but don't recall why?
Drop us a line if you want John.
Best wishes
Andrea and Chris

Re: Blast from the past
Posted by John Hammerslag Email User on 17/7/2009, 12:22 am
Hi Andrea & Chris
Yes, you got it right. I guess my name is not hard to pick! It's good to hear from you and please see my e-mail.

Re: Blast from the past
Posted by Andrea Ash (nee Pinnell) Email User on 14/10/2009, 3:15 pm
For John Hammerslag please - John, have you got a new email address? I have just got around to answering your email and it has come back twice, delivery failure??? Regards
Andrea

33.  The Gun Inn
Posted by Shaun Clifford Email User on 17/7/2009, 12:29 am
I don't know how we got away with it, but I remember having my first (illegal of course) drink at the Gun Inn, in between Pitsea & Benfleet, what ever that area is called?
I think that I was about 15 years old then, but no older than that, we used to get the bus from Basildon, and if you missed the last one, well guess what? You had to walk home.
Kevin Venables got so drunk once, that he walked all the way back to Vange, then past his home, and down to the old bus station at the end of Clayhill Road in town.
He was found the next morning asleep under a bus by an early morning bus driver. Ha, Ha !
Oh happy days!

Re: The Gun Inn
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 17/7/2009, 10:28 am
HI Shaun your post reminds me of the numerous times i walked (or was that staggered heehehee) home from the Railway hotel Pitsea, to Little Spenders, opposite the Double Six, Whitmore Way in the 60s.cool.gif

Re: The Gun Inn
Posted by Jim Green Email User on 27/7/2009, 1:14 pm
Hiya Shaun, I remember The Gun very well. It was at the top of the hill going through Bowers Gifford towards Benfleet. I used to play Sunday League football for the Basildon Post Office team and we used to play on the Eversley Road pitches behind The Bull pub which is at the bottom of the hill in Bowers Gifford. After the games we would go to The Gun for a swift shandy (cos it was cheaper there) before going home. I believe it shut down and was re-opened as an eating house called 'The Musketeer' or something like that. Havn't been there for years now so it may well be gone like so many of the good old haunts we used to know.

34.  St. Michael's Pitsea
Posted by Martin Casson Email User on 17/7/2009, 9:56 pm
One of the graves in the burial area of the old St Michael's church on Pitsea Mount is of a lady by the name of Hilda Burt. The memorial stone has been recently damaged by council staff strimming the vegetation but it states that Mrs Burt was 'killed by enemy action' on 9th March 1945. This was very late in WWII for something like this to occur and I can only think it was due to a V2 rocket. Does anybody know of any related incident in the local area at this time?

Re: St. Michael's Pitsea
Posted by Larry Crowley Email User on 29/10/2009, 3:53 am
A V2 did land off Rectory Road about that time, I remember collecting steel bearings to play marbles with.

Posted by Martin Casson Email User on 21/11/2009, 6:37 pm
Thank you very much for the information Larry, it seems the incident you describe is a distinct possibility!
Regards
Martin

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 2/3/2010, 5:20 pm
Hi Martin
There was an explosion of a bomb in the road called Northlands Drive. It ran up between the Railway Hotel and Barclays Bank through the new market, past the swimming pool. I was living in Moores Avenue not far from the Five Bells at the time. The family heard the explosion and we all went outside to see where it was. In a very short time chopped up green leaves started to fall out of the clear sky. It was like green snow. A few days later my older sister and I walked into Pitsea to see where the bomb had landed. Northlands Drive was an unmade road with weekend bungalows in. A few of the bungalows were flattend and a number badly damaged. The road was lined with Poplar trees. All of them had been stripped of leaves, hence the green snow. I understood it was a land mine but I may be wrong.

Posted by Martin Casson Email User on 8/3/2010, 7:23 pm
Hi Jack,
Thank you for the information - very interesting. Would this incident have been in early March 1945? Larry Crowley (29/10/2009) mentioned that the explosion he knew of about that time (which he said was a V2) was in the Rectory Road area which isn't a million miles away from the path of Northlands Drive as you describe it? Do you think the two experiences could have been one and the same? The only doubt in my mind is that your mention of the 'green snow' would conflict with date of Mrs Burt's death as in early March there aren't really many leaves on the trees!!??
Cheers
Martin

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 8/3/2010, 11:08 pm
Hi Martin
I only know of one explosion in Pitsea and I saw the damage with my own eyes. There could have been two but that's the only one I remember. The date must have been about June all I can remember was it was summer. Pitsea was east from where we lived so the wind must have been coming from the east. There must be a record of it some where.

Posted by Admin on 9/3/2010, 9:56 am
Author and former journalist Peter Lucas wrote 3 books on the history of Basildon. The war years are covered in some detail. A brief summary of one particular event appears in the Basildon History chronology and reads as follows: 7th October 1944. A German V2 rocket fell on Pitsea at Northlands Drive. Fifty people received injuries, five of them serious. It left three houses totally demolished and many others damaged. Admin (Bill)

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 9/3/2010, 1:55 pm
Thanks Admin
I thought it was a land mine that exploded. I visited the site a few days later and saw that there was three bungalows missing and all the damage around the area. What I did not see was a crater that a V2 would have left. I was very young at the time so I probably did not notice. I do remember all the chopped up leaves falling out of the sky and all the Poplar trees stripped of leaves down Northlands Drive. I think some of them trees are still there.

35.  Laindon Recorder
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 6/8/2009, 3:34 pm
hi i wonder if anyone has any copys of laindon recorder between 1940-41 winter time if possible thanks

Re: Laindon Recorder
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 11/8/2009, 5:38 pm
Have you tried Laindon Library yet? I was in there last year and they had some old copies on show and I even saw a photo in one of them of my Mum, Dad, Sister and me.

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 14/8/2009, 7:50 am
hi brian thanks for reply i have spoken to laindon library and basildon but they do not go back that far is was just a chance someone might have old laindon recorder thanks again keith

Posted by Robin Lockhart Email User on 24/8/2009, 12:47 pm
Hi. Go to The British Library REFERENCE DIVISION NEWSPAPER LIBRARY
Photographic Department
Colindale Avenue
London NW9 5HE
They will certainly have everything you want either the originals or on microfilm (copies are available at a price)

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 10/9/2009, 3:17 pm
hi robin thanks for that i have been in touch with them and they have all i need
best wishes keith

36.  Marshall family of Armada Avenue, Laindon
Posted by Andrea Ash nee Pinnell Email User on 9/8/2009, 5:12 pm
Does anyone have any knowledge of the whereabouts/information of the MARSHALL family please? They lived in Armada Avenue. Mrs Marshall was a good friend of my mum and her daughters Margie and June used to visit us. They also had a younger daughter (Pat?), sons Peter and Ernie.

Re: Marshall family of Armada Avenue, Laindon
Posted by Geoff Email User on 16/8/2009, 1:06 am
I knew an Ernie Marshall of Laindon. Don't know his address, but know he joined the RAF in 1941 and was posted to Malta. Sunk twice on the way and rescued by Navy ships. I last saw him in 1988, when I was on a visit to UK. He was then living in Chelmsford. Attended 'Ebenezer' Gospel Hall in the early 40's. Does this help?

Re: Marshall family of Armada Avenue, Laindon
Posted by Andrea Ash Email User on 16/8/2009, 4:32 pm
Thanks Geoff for responding. This Ernie Marshall would probably be in his late sixties now. Regards Andrea

37.  Laindon United FC
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 16/8/2009, 2:49 pm
I wonder how many of you remember going to watch Laindon United play football behind the Laindon Hotel? As a kid, I was there at every home game and along with my Dad who was often on the gate.

If memory serves me correctly, a gent named Harry Lloyd was groundsman and did an excellent job of keeping the pitch in the best possible condition, even to sanding the goal area following heavy rain.

One players name always sticks in my mind and I can to this day, see him taking the throw-in's and that was a guy my Dad said was known as 'Spud' Murphy. I know he was a good player and never afraid to tackle, unlike some of the players in todays world.

One laugh we did have there was when Dad first persuaded Mum to join us. As we stood by the touch-line, Mum asked Dad: "What's up with that guy in the jersey, he wont let the ball go in the net?" Another spectator standing nearby suggested Dad take Mum back home and teach her how to play football. We have laughed many times over this since, but sadly, Mum is no longer with us to share it.

Re: Laindon United FC
Posted by Colin Clarke Email User on 17/8/2009, 11:43 pm
Well remembered Brian! My wife's late father Reg Smith was the secretary of this club for a time (and he was involved with a few others including Rotary Hoes I believe). I remember Harry Lloyd well, a very keen groundsman and football fan!

Do you remember standing by the touchline on a wet day when the players came thundering towards you with the massive boots and the wet football? Not a place to be caught standing!

And, if they were a linesman short, they would grab someone from the spectators to do the honours! Lookout when the poor soul who got chosen made an error!

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 19/8/2009, 12:43 pm
I can remember watching Laindon Utd behind the Hotel with my mate Jackie Phillips. We were friendly with the Ramsay brothers who both played for the team and if I remember a giant of a man called Fred Ovens played Centre Half. Saw some great games, happy days !!!

Posted by Vic Wiles on 28/9/2009, 6:09 pm
Hi Brian
I knew Spud very well. I worked with him at Rotary Hoes where we were both maintenance fitters he was an ex Royal Navy man and a very good engineer he had also put on a bit of weight so was more into cricket and played for Laindon Cricket Club and was very agile for a man his size.

Posted by Jay Vincent Email User on 4/2/2011, 6:32 pm
hey everyone I just stumbled across this! and thought I would let you guys know Laindon United lives once again!

I wanted to start a football team that was Laindon! and I stumbled across some old pic of Laindon United from 1950 -1960 and decided to restart the club!

We currently play in Basildon district sunday league in division 3 (you can view this by going on basildon district football HOME PAGE)

No we're currently probably not playing at the same heights that Laindon once reached! but any information ya can give or pic would be greatly appricaited as I want keep history of Laindon United past alive.

38.  Blog
Posted by Basildon Email User on 21/8/2009, 10:27 am
His dogs are called Tyson and Arnie
His kids Harley, Bronson and Kylie
He say his dogs are as good as gold
Even when their eyes go black and cold

Editor: The website link with this entry no longer resolves.
(https://thebasildonbloggerstrikesagain.com)

39.  Roger Honeyball
Posted by Kevin Nicholls Email User on 23/8/2009, 11:46 pm
i would like to hear from roger he used to live in southcote square. I used to live in basildon between 1968-1976 plz reply. Also anybody who used to go fryerns school would help. thanks kevin nicholls.

40.  Ann Purle
Posted by Robin Lockhart Email User on 24/8/2009, 12:40 pm
Does anybody know the whereabouts of a lady whose single name was Ann Purle, She used to live in Rectory Road Pitsea, on the right hand side going down, there was a very old large tree stump by her front gate. She lived in a terraced house with her parents, brother Paul and younger sister. Ann was a member of Basildon Youth Asssociation and also Basildon Spooks Scooter Club & The Boomerangs Scooter Club. She also worked at Pembrokes Printing Co.

Re: Ann Purle
Posted by Margot Upstone (nee Brummer) Email User on 15/3/2010, 12:29 am
Ann Purle has lived in Australia for many years. I have contacted her sister Christine but no response from Ann as yet. You can see her in the film of Basildon Youth Association - see link I posted today

41.  Tom Levine
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 24/8/2009, 12:53 pm
hi I wonder if anyone remembers tom levine he used to work at tonibell ice cream back in eighties he worked pitsea round and had a son called gary regards keith

Re: Tom Levine
Posted by Memory Man Email User on 4/9/2009, 4:38 pm
He is still around, and his son gary owns one stop ices which is in the local yellow pages. The phone no is toms house, real name Ray Levine. He had picador bedford c.a from new until he bought transit in early eighties. Gary runs several vans and also does rebuilds onto later chassis. I also worked at bentalls in 1978 -1980 when you were the mechanic at the rear of the yard. Don't suppose you have a picture in colour of a blue tonibell van?

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 7/9/2009, 12:57 pm
hi memory man thanks for that thats one thing I have not got any photos just memories will get in touch with ray thanks again regards keith

Posted by Roger Plummer Email User on 14/9/2009, 9:40 pm
Hi. Memory Man, I have a photo of a Tonibel Van complete with me in it unfortunetly but you are welcome to a copy, just let me have your e-mail. regards, Roger.

42.  Basildon/Laindon Postmen
Posted by Jim Green Email User on 24/8/2009, 2:32 pm
Does anybody know of or have a relative who worked as a postman in Basildon/Laindon during the 60's. During this period I worked as a Postman/Driver working out of the P.D.O (Postal Delivery Office) in Luncies Road and also out of Laindon Sorting Office opposite the old Laindon Hotel. I spent a number of very happy years as a postman and made lots of friends. I would be very pleased to get in touch with anyone who worked with me during that time or who may know someone (a relative, friend etc) who may remember those happy days.

Re: Basildon/Laindon Postmen
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 25/8/2009, 8:15 am
hi jim a friend of mine was talking about you other day eddie perfect he worked with you at laindon I will pass message on to him when I see him next regards keith

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 25/8/2009, 11:37 am
Thank you for replying Keith. Yes, I knew Teddy Perfect very well and a smashing chap he was, super sense of humour and an absolute pleasure to work with. I live in Cyprus now, have done for the past six years and loving it. But I still come back to England now and again to see family and friends. I stil bore my wife and friends here with tales of those happy days. If Teddy wishes to have a little chat, he can reach me on 00357 23833608 most evenings except Tuesdays. Please wish him well from me Keith and thanks again for your most welcome reply. Jim Green

Posted by Vi Marshall nee Perfect Email User on 27/8/2009, 10:45 am
hi jim I always read the messages on the board weekly and came across yours yesterday 26th. ted is my eldest brother and I was pleased to hear the nice things you wrote about him and he is still the the nicest bloke around. he is still living in laindon and enjoying a happy retirement with wife molly and his kids and grandkids. I called him yesterday and told him about your message and he wished you well. bye for now. vi.

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 4/9/2009, 12:38 pm
Thanks for your reply Vi. Yes Teddy was always a gentleman and a great bloke. I wish you and your family all the best, regards and best wishes to Teddy and his good lady. Take care, Jim

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 8/9/2009, 5:40 pm
hi jim i was speaking to ted perfect this afternoon he asked me to ask you where did you go when you left basildon post office he sends his regards to you best wishes keith

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 9/9/2009, 1:35 pm
Hello Keith, glad to know Teddy is fine. I left the Post Office as changes were being made which I felt were not good for the future. I went into Ford Tractor Plant and spent some time as a Test Driver. I then left and went into engineering, specializing in engine building and modification and worked for Hawkspeed Racing and Planet Motor Conversions. I ended working for Benchsound Engines in Stanford-le-Hope. I then took on lodgers as I made my big house into a small B&B when the kids had gone. I did very well for a number of years then decided to sell up and move to Cyprus. We moved here in 2003 and have a beautiful appartment in a small village and we adore the place. The kids come out now & again as do friends and we have made many friends, Cypriot and Brits. Tell Teddy it's the best move I ever made!!! That's about it in a nutshell Keith, but I have ever forget those smashing posties who were so great to work with, we were just one big happy family. I'll send you a few photos to show Teddy if you send me your e-mail address as I don't suppose he is on line but that's up to you. Anyway Keith thanks for keeping me informed and my best to Teddy. Cheers, Jim Green

Posted by Frank Dowdall Email User on 18/9/2009, 10:22 am
Hi Jim

Well I wondered where you had gone i have retired to Clacton yes we had some good fun on the post all the very best days have gone posties are just not posties anymore.
This is funny really I just happened to stumble on this sight its great.

Frank {little joe}

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 18/9/2009, 2:35 pm
Hiya Frank, lovely to hear from you, what a surprise. We are doing great here. How's Clacton these days aint been there for yonks, You are right the old Post Office was great, not like it now though. My youngest boy is in it now and he hates it all red tape and no organisation. They dont even supply uniforms any more, what a shambles. Dont know if you remember Teddy Perfect. He's still going and a friend of his keeps in touch with him for me. He was such a good old boy, a real nice bloke. Get back to me when you can and we'll have another chat so nice to hear from you. Jim

Posted by Frank Dowdall Email User on 18/9/2009, 4:41 pm
Hi Jim
In one of your replies you mentioned Jackie Phillips where is he now and what about the wheatleys I remember my days telegrams on a push bike parcels on a push bike jack phillips calling your name on pay day cash in the hand I dont know how you remember delivering on the plots at laindon you used to bake all your mail for the morning one of your bad habits you taught me. Off to pub now for a pint i will keep in touch all the best Frank

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 19/9/2009, 1:49 pm
Here again Frank, sad to say young Jack Phillips died a number of years ago. So sad as he and me were best mates as you know. The Wheatley brothers I don't know what happened to them but I think they are still about. The pay days were so funny with all the guys mimicking and taking the mick i.e. Tom Hoooooolsgrove, and the bird song when Denis Nightingale's turn came and many more. Eddie Larwood is gone and Charlie Page died in Australia. Mickey Hodgeson gone and many more. My ex wife used to work in Basildon hospital and she kept me informed (sad lady). Yes, true I used to bake a few but who wants to go all over the plots for a few bills when next day will do hehehehe!! Catch up with you later. Cheers, Jim

Posted by John Arnold Email User on 2/11/2009, 7:19 pm
Frank don't suppose you remember me im Patsys brother you took me to my first major football game Tottenham versus Huddersfield Gilzean mullery all that lot still ended up a gooner how are you? Nice to see your name on here Regards John Arnold

43.  Spooks Club
Posted by Frank Dowdall Email User on 18/9/2009, 9:45 am
Can any one remember the chap who lived in vange hill drive who ran the lamberreta club around 1957 time his first name was michael?

Re: Spooks Club
Posted by Roger PLUMMER Email User on 18/9/2009, 5:41 pm
Hi Frank, That was Mike Karslake Moved to Devon I think and opened a Scooter museum, but now no longer with us I'm afraid, The club was called Club 150. Regards Roger.

Posted by Frank Dowdall Email User on 19/9/2009, 12:33 pm
Thanks Roger I actually remembered the name this morning Mike used to live opposite me in Vange Hill Drive what prompted all this is the girl dancing with Brendan on Strictly Come Dancing is his daughter who is married to Ronnie Wood a bit of useless info but never mind.

Regards Frank

Posted by John Wernham Email User on 19/9/2009, 3:59 pm
Hi Frank. That was Mike Karslake. He moved from Vange to an old rectory in South Benfleet, where he had a very large collection of Lamberreta scooters. He used to build scale model ships, planes, building, etc, etc, for the film industry. He also had a model shop in Eastwood. I lost touch with him when he moved to Devon.
Regards John.

Posted by Roger PLUMMER Email User on 19/9/2009, 7:54 pm
Hi Frank, Yes She was also a page three model. Do you remember the fibreglass turkey Mike made about 5ft high I remember carting it about for him Happy days. Dodgy Rog.

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 25/9/2009, 12:53 pm
Frank, I got a message from Ginger Lever's daughter a while ago. You remember him with the Mini Cooper. He moved up north as his wife was a Geordie or something, well he aint very well, got ticker trouble and I havn't heard how he's getting along. Saw George Goodwin (Whiplash) when I was last in England. Do you remember Mark Kendall from the taxis? He's out of that now, he sold up and moved on.

44.  Ernie Byron
Posted by Robin Lockhart Email User on 29/9/2009, 8:17 pm
What ever happened to Ernie Byron AKA Taxi Ernie, he used to bomb around with the Spooks Scooter Club?

Re: Ernie Byron
Posted by Vic Wiles on 4/10/2009, 4:12 pm
Hi Robin
If this is the same Ernie Byron who lived in Laindon near the Winston Social Club unfortunately he passed away a few years ago after a long illness. he never realy fully recovered from the lorry crash in Saudi Arabia about 25 years ago. Hope this is of some help

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 5/10/2009, 12:57 am
I knew Ernie and his family, parents both passed on like young Ernie. It was with Tremendous thanks to them that I got to like Stock car Racing, having gone with them several times to West Ham when there was a stadium there and not a mass of houses as now.

I have a photo of a group taken at Maldon and 100% certain one of his sisters is in it. If Anne Byron reads this, then please E-mail me, using your Mum's name as subject please?

Posted by Roger PLUMMER Email User on 5/10/2009, 8:49 pm
Sorry to hear about Ernie, my immediate memories are Ernie converting a V8 Pilot into a hot-rod by chopping the front wings off and fitting motor cycle mudgards, and then he got a big (it was massive) old Cadilac auto only 1st and top gear worked we all had a whipround bought some petrol and wheezed coughed sputtered up the road to the nearest cafe, also he was the first bloke I knew that did car breaking with just a hammer and chisle. Happy Days in a Happy Daze, Roger.

45.  Basildon Market
Posted by Memory Man Email User on 1/10/2009, 4:13 pm
KEN BROCK, FRED HUZZEY, TONY DOW, PAUL THORPE, MARK HUZZEY, ALL FROM THE SIXTIES ON THE MARKET, WHO REMEMBERS THEM AND WHERE ARE THEY NOW????

Re: Basildon Market
Posted by peter hudson on 14/10/2009, 4:58 pm
I went to school with mark hussey and paul havent seen them for years also remember rory madden

Posted by Charlotte Huzzey Email User on 21/2/2010, 9:14 pm
Paul Huzzey is my dad, my grandad Fred passed away 4 years ago. Mark has given up his stalls as well and is living in Kent. My grandad always used to talk about his market days and when he died there was a great column written about him in the evening echo about his days as the night watchman and his stall.

Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 3/3/2010, 8:28 am
How about a Ron Woods, he rode scrambles in his spare time, bought my first bike off me (TIGER CUB), after i wrecked it servicing it, and turned it into a scrambles bike.happy.gif

46.  Cullender family
Posted by Gillian Cullender Email User on 4/10/2009, 10:54 am
Would anyone remember the Cullender family who lived in Lambourne Crescent, Basildon in the 1950s to when we migrated to Australia in 1961, could you please email me as it would be greatly appreciated.

47.  Peter Kruder
Posted by Tony Dow Email User on 12/10/2009, 11:43 pm
Does anybody know the whereabouts of Peter Kruder who used to live in Ardleigh, he had a sister called Valerie who married Alan another mate of mine.

48.  Laindon
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 21/10/2009, 11:57 am
Hi i was born in laindon in 1950. It was such a lovely place loads of shops and friendly people. I went to laindon park school. I remember a shop in church road called coopers shop where i got sweets. Later on I went to laindon high rd. What a shame it's gone now. Now I see so many changes none for the best still at least I have my memories

Re: Laindon
Posted by Vi Marshall nee Perfect Email User on 23/10/2009, 4:56 pm
hi i agree with you Keith, i lived in the first bungalow on basildon road and i could just run across the field to coopers shop and get mums shopping. also i remember a butchers shop on the other side, and chrissie larkin had the tyre business on the corner opposite the primary school. i can still remember the mission on the corner of basildon road and bracken mount, and my favourite place was the bench at the bottom of the church steps at st nicholas after a wedding. if i was late home for dinner on a saturday mum would send one of my brothers to fetch me home, and then she would make me leave all the collected confetti outside in the garden. It's been a long time since i left laindon, 1966 to be exact but I'll never forget how happy i was there. happy days.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 26/10/2009, 3:52 pm
I moved away from Laindon in 1964, returning briefly in 1965. The town as we knew it was one of Many memories to me and I have some Original postcards from the 1950's of the place that I bought mostly at the time, plus some since. If all goes well, I will revisit the place shortly, visiting friends, but not staying there now it has been ripped apart.

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 26/10/2009, 8:42 pm
hi as you say brian the old place isnt the same. i live in eastwood now but still pop in to see friends its changed so much i have lots of photos and postcards also video i took. at least i have my memories of such a lovely place as it was. if anyone is interested there is talks on laindon at library in laindon and old photos on display.

Posted by Helen Painter Email User on 7/11/2009, 12:52 pm
Hi there. I am just someone really interested in Laindon and Basildon history and the plotlands, although I have never lived in these areas myself. I live in Billericay and frequently visit the plotlands in Lower Dunton Road. You mention that you have photos and videos of Laindon etc.. I would love to know if you ever decide to show these publically. I have been to one of the Laindon Libary history talks with Ken Porter and it was great.

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 8/11/2009, 9:13 pm
hi helen yes i would be pleased to show photos and video i will have a word with ken porter i am looking forward to next talk which i hope is soon regards keith

Posted by Helen Painter Email User on 9/11/2009, 11:43 am
Great. Do you know when and where the next Laindon history talk will be?

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 10/11/2009, 8:42 am
hi helen i was speaking to ken porter about a month ago and he said it would be either late this year or early next. there is a new man running laindon library now i will let you know when its on. my passion for laindon is because i was born in a bungalow on the a127 near flyover and i can remember the great freedom we had. miles of fields to wander what a great place it was regards keith

Posted by Helen Painter Email User on 11/11/2009, 8:00 pm
That will be great. I hope it's on a day that I can attend. It must be really sad seeing all the changes that have taken place over the years. It upsets me when I see the old houses etc.. being replaced by these new ones. I was looking at where Laindon School was the other day. I can't believe the change, not for the better! My interest and passion with Laindon history started when I discovered about the Plotlands, and just walking around there, looking off the beaten track into the over growth seeing remains of people's little houses etc.. to think that a large community of people lived there, and then I started getting the history books, and couldn't believe the old photo's and how lovely it was compared to the change now. There really needs to be a main Basildon Museum. People do not realize what it used to be like and this would really help to show how it once was. Have you actually got video's of how Laindon and the area once was? When I get on the train at Laindon to go to work, it amazes me to think that Joan Sims lived at the station house as well.

Regards

Helen

Posted by Andrea Email User on 11/11/2009, 8:14 pm
Hi Helen
I would also be interested to know when the next meeting will be at Laindon Library and would be obliged if you would let me know. Thanks from Andrea (Laindon born)

Posted by Helen Email User on 12/11/2009, 9:03 am
Hi Andrea

Keith Nock said that he would put the date on the message board once he knows.

Regards

Helen

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 12/11/2009, 6:55 pm
hi helen my videos are of where i was born in a bungalow on a127 and at pound lane central before they built on it. i like it over plotlands, as you say you can see all the pathways and where all the houses were. have you seen the haven in 3rd ave quite interesting. where i lived in waverly road there was weekend places, now there is not much. will email ken porter tonight hopefully he might have some info on next meeting regards keith

Posted by Helen Email User on 12/11/2009, 11:13 pm
It would be great to actually see videos of the area, as I have only ever seen photo's. I will keep a look out for any news on the next history talk.

Regards

Helen

Posted by keith nock Email User on 13/11/2009, 9:02 am
hi helen had email from ken porter talk on laindon will hopefully be on 28th of march regards keith

Posted by Helen Email User on 13/11/2009, 8:50 pm
Brilliant, I don't go to work on Wednesdays. Great.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 17/11/2009, 4:48 pm
Just for a change, I SHOULD be able to attend myself. Normally on the last Wednesday of the month, I have a meeting to chair, but as there will be an agm that month, we are holding this on a Saturday. Be great to meet up and recall those Great days again, as well as meet each other.

Posted by Sue Randle Email User on 22/1/2010, 1:25 pm
Ken's talk is at Laindon Library on the 31st of March 2pm- tickets only. Sue Randle

Posted by Dawn Smith Email User on 29/6/2010, 4:14 pm
My family had a wooden house on plotlands. It was 'Ivydene' HIghbank Drive. Warm, dry - 2 rooms and a cool, narrow kitchen with a 'meat safe'. Outside loo, oil lamps and a shining black iron stove. Tap on the lane. Heaven.

49.  Gibson family
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 4/11/2009, 4:53 pm
hi I wonder if anyone can help me. I am looking for information on the gibson family. They lived other side of railway line in laindon. they had a dairy there. there was peggy and fred also some other brothers, peggy was married to my uncle albert bull. regards keith

Re: Gibson family
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 17/11/2009, 4:43 pm
I heard from one of them a few years back and then living in the Southend area. If I can find the letter (I have it somewhere), I will try contacting them for you.

Re: Gibson family
Posted by Shaun Taylor on 5/12/2009, 4:52 pm
Hi Keith,
Can't tell you much, I used to go to the farm in the late 60's with Steve Gibson to play on the farm as we were kids. I went to school with Steve so he would be the same age as me now 53. Sometimes think about the farm and the times we had, seems a different world. Strange I now Manage the Pitsea Landfill site which is almost the same area, and I work closely with the Watt Tyler park manager so am reminded of those times.

Shaun Taylor

50.  Pitsea rail crash
Posted by Martin Twelftree Email User on 15/11/2009, 7:43 pm
Can anyone help me of the year or date of a steam train crash as it was coming in to Pitsea station Just before the bridge at Pitsea high road behind the bungalows in Sandon Road that are still there now.
It was early 60's.

Re: Pitsea rail crash
Posted by Colin Clarke Email User on 16/11/2009, 3:06 pm
Hi Martin,

I well remember this derailment as I got off the train the stop before.

It happened on the 18th of April 1961, when single line working was in place and unfortunately the point setter at the works left the jacking points set to derail "down" traffic on the "up" line and waved the driver of the down train through. The engine was derailed and the first 4 coaches ran into it and 3 of them were totally wrecked. The engine did have a "Pilot" on board who spotted the wrongly set points just too late!

Sadly, two people lost their lives and more than 40 were injured as a result. The engine was visible from the Vange side of the bridge and, had it been travelling a little faster, could easily have ended up in the road below!

However, there is a report on this online at "The Railway Archive" but you have to work you way through the dates to get to it!

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 17/11/2009, 4:38 pm
I have seen some photo's of this somewhere, so if I can find them, I will add the details on here for you.

Posted by Martin Twelftree Email User on 18/11/2009, 10:39 pm
Thanks Colin and Brian that has helped me a lot as my Dad helped with the rescue of some of the passengers but could not remember the date. Thanks again.

Posted by Sue Randle Email User on 22/1/2010, 12:46 pm
If you go down to the archives at Wat Tyler park there is an account of the Rail crash written by the person who provided tea for the injured at the end of her garden. The Archives are only open on Monday and Wednesday and closed by 2pm or tell Basildon District Museum you want to see the account, with photos, and they will have it there.
They are open Monday, Thursday, and Saturdays 10-2pm 01268 520989.

Posted by Barclay Email User on 23/1/2010, 9:50 pm
One of the people killed that evening was a railwayman driver mr fisher returning to the depot after a night work. I was a fireman on a train that night that was diverted through tilbury.

Posted by Alan Masser Email User on 20/1/2011, 10:21 pm
Hi Martin
I remember the crash my auntie lived in Sandon Road and had the only house with a phone. I have tried to find photos of the crash without any luck

51.  High Road, Laindon
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 16/11/2009, 9:44 am
hi, I was travelling through laindon high rd on saturday what a shame my old school laindon high rd has gone. I have fond memories of those days also all the shops in the high rd everything you could want. I remember the shopping centre being built now it seems deserted laindon hotel all gone fortune of war now flats what a shame we can't turn clock back
regards keith

Re: High Road, Laindon
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 17/11/2009, 4:41 pm
I was also in Laindon on Saturday 7th November and was heartbroken to see So little of the original place still standing. Still, I do have many photographs, postcards and memories of the place. Laindon will Never be as good again, no matter what is left.

Posted by Helen Email User on 4/12/2009, 10:09 pm
Would you consider making a book of your photos and postcards about Laindon? It would be great.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 6/12/2009, 12:27 am
Thank you Helen, but I feel I would break copyright law if I publish postcards without checking first. I did start to write a book on another subject 3 years ago, but that was the last time I touched it.

However, I did have the pleasure of contributing to a book a couple of years ago called Memories of Basildon by Jim Reeve.

52.  Laindon Station
Posted by Helen Painter Email User on 18/11/2009, 11:42 am
Whereabouts was the goods yard situated at Laindon Station and the railway cottages?
Also does anyone know what the small building to the right of Laindon Station (now a taxi office)used to be? In Joan Sims book High Spirits, she mentions that the station house won the best kept garden award. Whereabouts was the garden situated at the station?

Re: Laindon Station
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 19/11/2009, 11:41 pm
As you go down Station Approach, so the goods yard was to the left and where the shops now stand. There were to my knowledge, 2 coal merchants using it for their coal, Hall's and Charrington's, but stand to be corrected.

When I was a youngster and spending many hours down there train-spotting, the Taxi Office may well have been one of three cafe's and used by what were Eastern National bus crews, plus an office used by Jeakins Taxi's.

As for the garden of the Station House as memntioned by Joan in her Brilliant book, I recall this to be where it is now tarmaced over and what is now the front of the station. I was in Laindon at night recently, but never visited the station, otherwise I might have been a bit more accurate for you.

Posted by Helen Painter Email User on 20/11/2009, 11:26 pm
Thats brilliant. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 25/11/2009, 1:20 pm
hi, my auntie who livid in railway approach was friends with stationmasters daughter joan sims. Her mum had dairy in laindon it's now been taken over by houses still at least I have my memories regards keith

Posted by Helen Email User on 4/12/2009, 10:00 pm
Hi Keith. That is so interesting. I would love to travel back in time for a while to see what Laindon was like. It sounds like it was a lovely place to live. Thank you for your information.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 17/12/2009, 12:16 am
I have Many happy memories of Train-spotting at Laindon station and the immediate area to this day, remembering how it was in my childhood, yet now sadly Ruined.

Posted by David Bailey Email User on 1/1/2010, 11:39 am
Hi Helen
Ken is correct in his information, the cafe that is now the taxi office used to have a juke box in it and we used to go there after school to play the latest records. Railway cottages were on the Laindon side of the bridge but on the other side of the high road, in what was a small triangle between the high road and the railway, you used to have to go down steep wooden steps to get down to the houses.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 24/2/2010, 1:18 am
Sorry David, but from memory as well as photo's, the steps from the railway bridge at Laindon Station, led down to what was known as Berry Lane Cottages. To get to the Railway Cottages, you needed to walk down the road between The Bank and later Post Office, or visa-versa and Collins Hardware. I do have photo's of the cottages, AND what I knew as Berry Lane.

Posted by Michael Email User on 26/5/2010, 7:50 pm
Laindon Station still stands. When I moved here (Somercotes) in 1980, there were still railway tracks laying in the newer car park BESIDE the shops (opposite the aforementioned taxi office). The track was derelict, but until its recent tarmacking, was something of a wildlife retreat (coming home from a "late shift" I saw foxcubs playing there). They did extend in odd bits, through the site of the Station Gate shops/flats to where the bigger car park sprawls.
The Family folklore is that My Grandad would leave the station (on payday) and walk up to The Crown Pub, then home to where Noak Bridge estate (Toytown) now stands. My guess is that preceded the Arterial Road, or at least, predated the dualling of the carriageway.

Posted by Bruce Bellamy Email User on 3/1/2011, 11:02 pm
Being new to this web site and forum this is a LATE RESPONSE to this thread...David Bailey is absolutely correct in stating that the railway cottages were reached from the High Road by very steep wooden steps leading down from near the bend just on the north side of the bridge.. the other steps on the south side of the bridge opposite the iron footbridge junction with the road led down to a footpath running towards Beatrice Road and on to Berry Lane junction with Bridge Road (by Lungley's (or Langleys?) grocery shop.....living just off Berry Lane it was a summer 'earner' to take a wheel barrow to the bottom of the steps and endeavour to earn 2 bob. by carrying the cases of the 'weekenders' going to their shacks .. sheds... old railway goods waggons even small bungalows on 'Berry Park estate' which was the name used by everyone living in that area at that time (I never heard of 'Plotlands' untill recent years).

53.  1958 Flood
Posted by Frank Dowdall Email User on 25/11/2009, 11:56 am
I was living in Vange Hill Drive when we had the floods. The water was flying down the road, at the time I was at the fairground which we had to leave because of the water we walked home up clay hill road at the junction of Sparrows Herne. We used a builders dumper to get across the road.
Has any one else got any more stories of that night?

Re: 1958 Flood
Posted by Frank Dowdall Email User on 26/11/2009, 5:07 pm
I did forget to mention a date it was around 1957?

Posted by Mike Fruin Email User on 28/11/2009, 2:39 am
The floods were in the summer of 1958. I was home from the MN in Danbury Down and the water shot up in fountains out of the storm drains. My sister and her boyfriend were stuck at the fairground for a while.
Mike Fruin
Tasmania

Posted by Andrea Email User on 28/11/2009, 9:17 pm
Yep, 1958. Lived in Laindon then - what a storm, I was under the table with my Dad's overcoat over my head - and it was so hot. Heard a story that John Day Senior was bowled over by a wave somewhere around Laindon Hotel - his hands were stuck inside his tight jeans pockets, so couldn't stop himself falling over!

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 29/11/2009, 1:05 pm
I can't recall this happening, but then I did go to stay in Dagenham when my Dad was hospitalised following a nervous breakdown, so as to help Mum get to see him in Runwell easier. I can't exactly recall how old I was at the time, or when it was.

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 28/2/2010, 3:50 pm
I remember that storm. At the time I was passing under Pitsea railway bridge. The man hole covers were on top of fountains coming out of the ground. In 1953 the marshes of Vange, Pitsea and Fobbing were flooded along with Canvey Is. The school I was at, Craylands, was closed to house the flood victims. We boys were over the moon a holiday we did not expect.

Posted by Jo-Ann Ingram (Smith) Email User on 2/12/2011, 10:44 pm
I remember Pound Lane Pitsea, 3 ft deep nr the Arterial Road.... and the the flyover/underpass filled up to the top road at Rayliegh, that was a nite to remember.

54.  My Book "This is Basildon"
Posted by Michael Healy Email User on 25/11/2009, 8:24 pm
Hi,

I have written a book about Basildon and thought some of you guys might be interested.

More information can be found at my website www.thisisbasildonbook.co.uk

I will also be selling my book in person at Basildon Market on this coming Saturday (November 28th) please feel free to pop along to say hello....

Best Regards
Michael Healy

Re: My Book "This is Basildon"
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 26/11/2009, 12:13 pm
hi michael very pleased to hear about your book. I am always interested in books about basildon and laindon I am sure you will have great demand for it. Will see you in basildon on saturday best wishes keith

Posted by Michael Healy Email User on 26/11/2009, 7:20 pm
Cheers Keith,

See you Saturday!

Regards
Michael

Posted by Helen Email User on 4/12/2009, 9:57 pm
I would love to buy your book. Where can I purchase it from?

Posted by Admin on 4/12/2009, 10:19 pm
If your in Basildon tomorrow (Saturday 5th December) Michael Healy will be at a stall on Basildon Market selling copies of his new book for £9.99.
See this webpage on the history website Basildon History News.

Posted by Michael Healy Email User on 4/12/2009, 11:12 pm
Hi Helen,

If you are in Basildon Town Centre tomorrow (Saturday 5th December) you can get a copy from me at Basildon Market (from 8am-3pm).

If not then you can visit the website www.thisisbasildonbook.co.uk

Thanks and Regards
Michael

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 4/12/2009, 11:51 pm
I too am Very interested in this book, but live 100 miles away, have other arrangements for tomorrow (5th), so will try to get it through local bookshop instead.

Look forward to seeing it.

Posted by David Bailey Email User on 1/1/2010, 8:38 am
Hi Michael, I too am interested in your book about Basildon. How far do you go back to?
I am in Australia, can it be purchased on the internet?

Posted by Caroline Email User on 6/1/2010, 12:30 pm
Michael,
I would love to get a copy of your book. I live in Perth, Western Australia. Can it be mailed to Oz?

Posted by Michael Healy Email User on 6/1/2010, 5:16 pm
For those who have requested a copy of "This is Basildon" outside of the UK.........

I'm not expecting many sales out side of Basildon, so haven't set anything up to cater for overseas sales.

However, if you have a Paypal account, you could send payment through their website quickly, safely and easily. (see link below)

https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/sendmoney/send_to_a_friend.htm

My email is mjhealy@gmail.com

The book is £9.99 (+ P&P)

Postage and Packaging costs:
- UK = £2.49
- Europe = £4.10
- Rest of the world = £6.10

I can arrange delivery as soon as I receive confirmation from yourself.

Many Thanks and Regards,
Michael Healy
www.thisisbasildonbook.co.uk

55.  Prince of Wales to the Crown publicans' race
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 26/11/2009, 11:09 am
Hi does anyone remember the pub chair race? It started at the prince of wales and finished at the crown. They had to have a pint in each pub on the way. I remember my dad and 3 other people pulling the governor of the prince of wales up crown hill. It was a great day out for everyone regards keith

Re: Prince of Wales to the Crown publicans' race
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 28/11/2009, 12:23 am
I can recall Prams being used for the same purpose, but not chairs, unless you meant Pushchairs? Sorry Keith!

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 28/11/2009, 7:18 pm
Hi brian yes I am sure prams and pushchairs were used and a wheelchair. I remember to the governor of the prince of wales was quite a big chap so I think people who pulled him up crown hill earnt their beer regards keith

Posted by Andrea Email User on 28/11/2009, 9:25 pm
Lionel Hyatt was the publican - met his son Peter for two years running at the Dunton Plotlands Reunion.

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 29/11/2009, 6:07 pm
Hi andrea yes that's right my mum worked at the prince of wales with lionel and his wife frances for many years. I remember peter, many times enjoyed a beer with him also knew his brother dennis he had his own car repair shop. What a small world it is the pow was my local thanks for your reply regards keith

Posted by Martin Twelftree Email User on 29/11/2009, 8:36 pm
Yes I remember the wheel chair race between the Prince of Wales Pub and the Crown Pub. The Governer's from the Fortune Of War and the Laindon Hotel all took part. I think it happened Easter weekend. Or Whitsun not sure.

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 1/12/2009, 10:55 am
Hi martin, yes I am sure it was easter time. I did have some cine film of it. I remember it had a good following regards keith

Posted by Sue Randle Email User on 22/1/2010, 12:50 pm
There is a photograph of the Publicans Pram race and the newspaper report at the Archives in Wat Tyler Park Boat Museum, Monday and Wednesday 10-2pm

Posted by Paula Email User on 23/1/2010, 8:48 pm
I remember watching the pram race between the pubs on Easter Mondays. We used to watch at The Crown. I remembered that as being the starting point but my sister says that's where it finished.

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 7/2/2010, 9:53 am
Hi I remember chair race starting at the prince of wales and finishing crown pub. My dad helped pull Lionel Hyatt from the prince of wales to the crown. He earned his pint Lionel was quite a big man. Dad never volunteered anymore regards keith

56.  Johnny Copperwheat
Posted by Jim Green Email User on 4/12/2009, 3:05 pm
I am sorry to relate that young Johnny Copperwheat died last weekend after battling for such a long time with stomach cancer. My sons Kevin and Tony used to be great pals with John and they and quite a few other lads used to love their football and were staunch supporters of West Ham. They all loved to play 'pool', go camping and holiday as a group, all the best of pals until marriage split them all up but they still kept in touch every now and again. John was only in his late forties, a young man and our hearts go out to his family. Rest in Peace.

57.  Happy Christmas
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 16/12/2009, 9:51 am
Hi just wanted to thank everyone who uses this website it has and will continue to give me great pleasure just want to wish you all a merry christmas and a happy new year
thanks for keeping alive memories of old laindon
best wishes keith

Re: Happy Christmas
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 17/12/2009, 12:13 am
I too wish All on here a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thank you all for the contributions, but let's make 2010 a better year with a Lot more postings of our memories, yes?

Re: Happy Christmas
Posted by Ken Page Email User on 21/12/2009, 4:26 am
I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy new year, I check this site up every few days, miss old Fred Rand though, all the best from Australia, Ken

58.  "Old Bonner"
Posted by Andrea Email User on 21/12/2009, 6:37 pm
Does anyone have any knowledge about the man who supposedly lived in the bushes over the Durham Road railway bridge. As children, we would walk over the bridge to get to Berry Lane and were "spooked" at the story of this man who lived in the bushes! I believe I did see him once, but also believe he was completely harmless. I would love to know more about him.

Re: "Old Bonner"
Posted by Andrea Email User on 23/12/2009, 9:30 pm
I was informed today that "Old Bonner" was a Frank Bond, an Australian, who somehow lost his lady love and spent the rest of his life living in the bushes over the railway bridge at Durham Road. That he made a suit from hessian sacking, grew his own vegetables etc - that's some of the story apparently but it would be good if someone else could reinforce these details.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 24/12/2009, 1:10 am
Sorry, but this is the very first I have ever heard of him.

Posted by Andrea Email User on 25/12/2009, 12:58 pm
Probably the kids who lived in Denbigh Road, Durham Road and on the way to Berry Lane may know?

Posted by Andrea (nee Pinnell) Email User on 31/12/2009, 12:05 pm
Thanks to a Mr Banks, I've got some more news on Bonner - he did exist!

Posted by David Bailey Email User on 1/1/2010, 8:29 am
Sorry Andrea
I was born and lived in Langdon Hills for 65 years and I have never seen or heard of old Bonner or any body living rough around Durham Road Bridge

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 6/1/2010, 12:34 am
Sorry, but I can only recall the gent known as Peg-Leg who rode a lever operated disabled machine, the gent who was deaf & dumb, selling evening papers at Laindon Station in the 1950's and a guy who lived near me, before I moved to Norfolk in 1964 and known as 'The Duke' because of the way he walked.

59.  Christmas Greetings
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 23/12/2009, 8:25 am
Once again I would wish all of the good folk that either run or follow this site the best of the seasons greetings---Dave Oakley.cute.gif

Re: Christmas Greetings
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 24/12/2009, 1:08 am
All the Very Best to Bill who runs the website, plus all the Contributors throughout the year, whether one, or one hundred and one postings.

Re: Christmas Greetings
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 24/12/2009, 7:38 am
Thanks to everyone who runs this website it has brought so much enjoyment to us all merry christmas to you all

60.  New Year Greetings
Posted by Andrea (nee Pinnell) Email User on 30/12/2009, 8:02 pm
For all the Laindon folk who are lucky enough to have such wonderful memories of our old village, as it was before it had its heart ripped out by developers. We were the lucky ones, no-one can change that! HAPPY 2010. Andrea Ash

Re: New Year Greetings
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 1/1/2010, 11:05 pm
Happy Yew Hear as Andrea said and to all those of us who remember the Real Laindon as it was.

61.  Goodale - Bowers Gifford
Posted by Sally Email User on 30/12/2009, 8:05 pm
Does anyone remember/know of a John Frederick Ernest Goodale who was living in Bowers Gifford at the time of his marriage, in the "parish church", to Adrienne McDowell, also a resident of Bowers Gifford, in 1940? They later had a daughter (and maybe other children) Avril S. B. Goodale, born in 1945. This lady would be my second cousin from a branch of the family that I know little about but would love to know more.
Please get in touch if you think you might be able to help.
Best wishes, Sally

Click here for January - June 2009 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2011
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM