Union Jack FlagSt. George Cross flag The emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
    You are here: Public Houses
Public Houses
Langdon Hills Laindon Noak Bridge
The Crown The Fortune of War (old) The Noak Bridge
The Red Cow The Fortune of War (new)  
  The Joker  
  The Laindon  
  The Four Seasons  
Lee Chapel North Lee Chapel South Kingswood
The Plough and Tractor The Castlemayne The Owl and Pussycat
Basildon Town Centre Fryerns Pipps Hill
The Beehive The Crane The Honey Pot
The Edge The Double Six The Quays
The Oasis Jolly Friar The Treble Chance
The Moon on the Square    
The Towngate    
Barstable Vange Pitsea
The Commodore The Barge The Railway
The Long Riding The Bull The Bull Inn
The Winged Horse The Powerhouse  
  The Five Bells  
Chalvedon Felmores Nevendon
The Chalvedon Hall The Watermill The Jolly Cricketers
    The Van Gogh
Please note: This list is limited to those public houses that were either in existence before 1949 or built after 1949 that lie within what became the designated area of the new town of Basildon or stood close to that boundary and still within the Basildon borough. Where a public house no longer exists it is listed with the name it went by at the time of closure. Similarly, if it still exists but has had a change of name - as in the Prince of Wales in Wash Road, Laindon becoming The Noak Bridge - it will be listed by its current name.

Basildon: Inns and Public Houses

The Crown at Langdon Hills and the Five Bells at Vange are two of the oldest surviving Public Houses in Basildon. The Crown is now a Miller and Carter steakhouse run by the Mitchells and Butlers chain and occupies the second highest point in Essex. The Crown wasn't the only place to get a drink in Langdon Hills. The Red Cow at Dry Street was open in 1843 later becoming a post office and general store and is now a private residence. Laindon also had its fair share of inns with the Dukes Head, Fortune of War, Prince of Wales and the Laindon Hotel. The Laindon Hotel which stood in the High Road between Durham and Aston Road was built in 1896 as part of a racecourse project that never reached fruition. It closed in the late 1980s and was demolished in 1991.

The Barge in Vange, which closed in 2015, is believed to date from around 1840 though an inn may have occupied the corner spot with Clay Hill Road from a much earlier date. Pitsea has had two Railway Hotel's, and at Laindon, the original Fortune of War at the Junction with Noak Hill Road is now a vehicle wheel specialist dealer.

Public Houses opened since 1951

The Crane in Denys Drive, Fryerns was the first new public house to be built in the 1950s following the areas designation as a new town. More soon followed including the Plough and Tractor, Castlemayne, Joker, Winged Horse, Bulls Eye, Van Gogh, Long Riding, the Owl and Pussycat, Painted Wagon, Jolly Friar, Treble Chance, The Highway (New Yorker) and the Moon on the Square, opened on former Market Square shops opposite the town centre's market. In 1979, Great Chalvedon Hall was converted from a private residence to a public house.

In the 2000s a number of demolitions to public houses in Basildon has taken place and these include the Commodore, the Bull (Powerhouse) at Vange, Double Six, Jolly Cricketers, Fortune of War at Laindon and in 2013 the Railway at Pitsea. Four of those former public houses were replaced with residential developments.

Text written 2005 with revisions 2007.
Copyright © 2005-2007, B.Cox, Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
Page added: 2005
Contact: E-Mail
Back a Page Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM