Basildon: A brief history
Basildon is situated some 30 miles South East of London, set back 4 miles from the passing River Thames in the county of
The earliest known reference to Basildon can be traced back to the Domesday Book of 1086 when the area was then
referred to as Behoter. It's thought to derive from an Anglo-Saxon settlement called Boerthals Hill that stood on or around
the Holy Cross area of Church Road.
The name Basildon appears to have evolved from the words Boerthal and dun, the
Anglo-Saxon term for hill.
From these earliest times to the 18th century there have been many variant
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales by Rev. John Marius Wilson
The Reverend John Wilson edited these impressive topographical volumes between 1870 and 1872. They included a brief description of Basildon.
BASILDON, a chapelry in Laindon parish, Essex; 2 miles NNW of Pitsea r. station, and 4 SE of Billericay.
Post Town, Laindon, under
Acres, 1,627. Real property, £1,927. Pop., 180. Houses, 25.
The living is annexed to
Laindon rectory in the diocese of Rochester.
Extract from 'Essex Roads & Lanes' Part 1. Being a useful
guide for Pedestrians & Cyclists. Published approximately 1908.
There is a place
in Essex called Basildon, the Cyclist who may wish to go there will be interested to know that it lies to the right of
Cray's Hill going to Wickford and it joins on to Vange on the opposite side of the valley. If standing on Langdon Hill
and looking across to Billericay, Basildon is to the right, and it may be reached by turning one's back to the "Crown Inn,"
and taking the first lane on the left(*) at the end of which lane turns to the left and then the first on the right,
continuing until a cross lane is found on the left
which takes you over the railway and on past Basildon Church. Most of the houses here have two acres of practically useless
ground tacked on to them. It gives the back garden in some cases the generous depth of a quarter of a
When it rains in the surrounding country it seems to have a knack of sometimes
skipping Basildon, hence water is a valuable commodity there.
Railway Stations are Billericay, Wickford, Laindon, or Pitsea, either of which is about three
(*)The route referred to does not mention local names but at that time
they would have been Dry Street, Bells Hill Road, Honeypot Lane and Church Road. During the
new town development Dry Street was slightly truncated when Nether Mayne was constructed, but
its original junction with Honeypot Lane and Bells Hill Road still remains; although very overgrown
and no longer used as such. The eastern side of Honeypot Lane virtually disappeared, except
a small stretch which was renamed Clay Hill Lane. Waldegrave, on the Kingswood estate roughly
follows its previous course. At the same time Clay Hill Road was rediverted and now runs to
Southernhay, but the railway overbridge at Church Road still remains today.
White's gazetteer and directory
In the 1800s the
publisher William White of Sheffield produced a small history of Basildon in his yearly gazetteer and directory.
Reproduced here is the entry
information for Basildon from the 1848 edition.
BASILDON, or Basseldon, is a small village and chapelry, ecclesiastically united to Laindon
parish, and distant 4 miles South South East of Billericay. It contains 157 souls and 1627 acres of land; and has a fair for toys, etc., on
It was made a chapelry to Laindon at an early period, and is in the three manors of Barstable, Botelers, and Battleswick, belonging to
the Slater, Prentice, and other families.
Barstable gives name to this Hundred, and had anciently a village, the foundations of which have often
been ploughed up in the town field. At Domesday Survey, it belonged to Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, and was held, with the Hundred, of the King.
Church, or chapel, is a substantial building, with a nave, chancel, and an embattled tower, crowned by a spire. The living is a perpetual curacy,
consolidated with the rector of Laindon.
The principal farmers are Francis Ede, Benjamin Moss, and John Peasgood.
of note are listed as:
Walter Shead, shopkeeper
John Flowerden Colls D.D. (Doctor of Divinity)
Alfred Archer and Daniel Archer
Source: William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Essex 1848
The publisher William White of Sheffield issued a yearly series of gazetteer's and directories covering the United Kingdom. These began in 1826 in partnership with
William Parson, but from 1831 were solely the work of White. William White continued to produce these until 1898 when his company was absorbed
into Kelly's (Frederic Festus Kelly) trade directory, which continued into the twentieth century.
Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1894
BASILDON (or Battelsdon), though now annexed to Laindon, is said to have been formerly a
The church of the Holy Cross, standing on an eminence, is a building of brick and stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel,
nave, south porch and a western tower containing 3 bells, dated 1677 and 1756: in 1880 the chancel was thoroughly restored and new oak choir stalls
were introduced, the nave was thoroughly restored in 1888: a curious tablet on the north wall of the nave records that in 1702 the parishioners paid
eleven shillings and sixpence in the pound, according to their rental, for the restoration of the church. The register dates from 1707, previous entries
having been made in the Laindon registers.
The rectory house was built in 1869, by the late rector, assisted by a loan of £1,500 from Queen Anne's
According to Morant, Barstable Hall, in this parish, gave its name to the hundred.
A bequest of £200 was made in 1862 by
Samuel Leake Gibbons, the interest of which is given to the poor of this parish.
Joseph Moss esq. and the Misses Ede are the principal
The soil is heavy; strong land. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans, peas and clover.
area is 1,607 acres; rateable value, £1,157; the population 1881 was 179.
Post office.-Nathan Beardwell, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from
Brentwood via Billericay at 8.30 a.m.; despatched at 4.45 p.m. The nearest money order office & telegraph office is at Wickford.
Carpenter Rev. Herbert (curate in charge of Laindon & Basildon), The Rectory
Durham Edward Burton, Fryern's ho
Austin John, beer retailer
Bacon Hy. fm. bailiff to J. Halston esq.
Baker Harry, farmer
Dowson Edwd. frmr. Summerhill fm
Gardiner William, farmer
Moss Joseph, farmer & landowner, Fairfield
Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1914
BASILDON (or Battelsdon), though now ecclesiastically annexed to Laindon,
is said to have been formerly a town.
The church of the Holy Cross, founded certainly before 1326 and probably much
earlier, and standing on an eminence, is a structure of brick and stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel,
nave, south porch and a western tower of ragstone, with plain moulded parapet, pyramidal roof with vane, and containing 3 bells,
one with an ancient inscription to St. Katherine and two others dated 1677 and 1756: the porch is of open timber work with an
elegantly cusped barge board: the chancel was rebuilt in 1597, by Arthur Denham, the rector, of which there is a record in Latin
on the east wall; in the church is a slab older than any visible part of the fabric; it is of the 13th or early 14th century and a portion
comprises " + ICI: GIST: MARGARETE" : in 1880 the chancel was thoroughly thoroughly restored and new oak choir stalls
were introduced; the nave was reseated in 1888: a curious tablet on the north wall of the nave records that in 1702 the
parishioners paid eleven shillings and sixpence in the pound, according to their rental, for the restoration of the church. The
register dates from 1707, previous entries having been made in the Laindon registers.
The rectory house was built in 1859,
by a former rector, assisted by a loan of £1,500 from Queen Anne's bounty.
According to Morant, Barstable Hall, in this
parish, gave its name to the hundred.
Oliphant's farm, in Basildon, is a picturesque house with three gables, partly
faced with wood.
Here is a Mission hall and a building known as Fairview Hall and used for concerts, political meetings
A bequest of £200 was made in 1862 by Samuel Leake Gibbons, the interest of which is given to the poor of this
The soil is heavy, strong land.
The principal crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans, peas and clover.
The area is 1,615 acres; rateable value, £3,510; the population in 1911 was 505.
Post, M. O. & T. Office.- Albert C.
Kilsby, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Billericay, Essex, at 7.45 a.m. & 5.40 p.m.: sunday, 8.40 a.m. : despatched at 7.55 a.m.
& 5.40 p.m. : sunday, 10.15 a.m. : open on sundays from 8.30 a.m. to 10.15 a.m.
Pillar Letter Boxes.- Summerhill, cleared
at 8:45 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. : sunday, 10.25 a.m. : Gardners lane, cleared at 7.40 a.m. & 6.5 p.m : sunday, 9.45 a.m.
The children here attend the Public Elementary School at Laindon
(Marked thus * should be addressed Vange, Pitsea.)
*Bennett Albert Edmund, The Oaks
Carpenter Rev. Herbert, The Rectory
Cattley Mark C. Danehurst
Mrs. The Poplars
HÖbs Frederick Julius, Pinehurst
James William John, The Bryn
Longmuir James Arnott, Summer
Melvill Mrs. Highland
Richmond Joseph, The Nook
Sharpe William K. Ivy Garth
*Storer William Henry, Much
Turnbull Mrs. Rowans
Watkins Arthur James, The Cedars
*Anderson Hy. Geo. Wm.
Corney Edwin Herbert, nurseryman
Gardiner William H. farmer bailiff to Joseph Fels esq.
Fras. Burdett, poultry farmer
Moore Harry Geo. farmer, Moat house
Moss Eldrid, farmer, Fairfield
*Potter Alfred James, bricklayer
Richens Frank Marshall, poultry farmer
Stevens Thomas Frederick.
This article is used in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.0 UK: England & Wales.