blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
    You are here: Shops
Regional shopping centre at Laindon

Shops at Kathleen Ferrier Crescent, Laindon.

Basildon: Regional Shopping Centres

Although the first new houses to be built were in occupation by 1951, it was not until August 1952 that the first new shops opened at Pendle Drive on the Fryerns estate.

Other early examples were the regional shopping centre or neighbourhood centre at Whitmore Way and at Timberlog Lane at the junction with Long Riding. In the 1950s other Pantry shops were also provided at Church Road, Vange, Luncies Road on the Barstable estate and at Whitmore Way.

During these times the existing shops at Laindon, Pitsea and Vange often provided the main source for provisions for the early new town residents.

Text written 2005 with revisions 2005-2007.
Copyright © 2005-2007, B.Cox, Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
Page added: 2001
Contact: E-Mail
Back a Page Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM