St. Peter's church in Church Lane, Nevendon.
the church became a listed building on the Ministry of Works list of buildings of historic interest. The
church has since been designated a Grade II* listed building.
The following is taken from the 1894 edition of Kelly's Directory of Essex.
The church of St. Peter, thoroughly
restored in 1875, is an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, and now consists of chancel, nave, vestry and a small wooden
bell turret on the western gable, containing 1 bell: the windows of the chancel are stained and it retains an aumbry: in the north
wall of the nave is a cinque-foiled piscina niche and there are traces of a stoup near the south doorway: there are 60 sittings. The
register dates from the year 1669.
The directory of 1914 repeated the 1894 description with two changes:
There are 100
sittings. The register dates from the year 1651.
List of Rectors from 1305:-
| William||1305|| Nathanial Pamplyn||1625|
| John de Berdefeld||1322|| Edward Thorpe||1638|
| John Jemes||1325|| David Foulis||1653|
| Walter de Kering||1361|| William Coleborne||1662|
| Robert de Stanefeld||1369|| Thomas Langrish||1665|
| Robert Streete||1383|| John Whitson||1667|
| John Mahehayt||1393|| Thomas Shores||1668|
| John Fakenham||1395|| Bartholomew May||1674|
| John Lythington||Year unknown|| Moses Pengey||Year unknown|
| John More||Year unknown|| Thomas Hervey||1678|
| Richard Lokes||1401|| William Rigg||1711|
| John Radcliffe||1451|| Christopher Powley||1712|
| Robert Chadwick||1470|| James Wright||1744|
| Richard Ward||1479|| John Powley||1745|
| John Ward||1483|| Richard Postlethwaite||1788|
| William Riley||Year unknown|| Joseph Wise||1799|
| Thomas Austyn||1518|| Vincent Edwards||1814|
| William Carr||1524|| Lawrence Tucker Edwards||1837|
| Edward Coller||1526|| William Mignoth Kerr||1850|
| John Longford||1527|| Arthur Brewitt Hilliard||1881|
| Rowland Rypley||1536|| Edward Manners Pyne||1882|
| John Loder||1557|| Willie McGowan, M.A.||1893|
| Richard Laverock||1561|| Frederick Waters Greenstreet||1906|
| William Atkinson||1565|| Alfred Watson Hands||1911|
| George Gannell||1571|| Timothy Bright Jehu||1925|
| William Wilkinson||1574|| Edward Adams||1926|
| Henry Ellis||1600|| Herbert Robert Finnis||1927|
| Hugo Gibbonson||1609|| Alan Matheson||1936|
| Thomas Oxeley||1615|| Alexander Edward Robert Knopp||1940|
| Thomas Mascall||1618|| |
The United Benefice of North Benfleet with Nevendon - 30/05/1941 - 03/02/1972
| Alexander Edward Robert Knopp||1941|| Percival Herbert Wingham||1960|
| Dacre Fiennes Barrett-Lennard||1948|| Douglas Argyll Tatham-Thompson||1963|
| H. J. C. Hughes||1955|| James Howard Chelton (Priest-in-Charge)||1971|
Benefice of Nevendon - 04/02/1972 - 1980
| James Howard Chelton (Priest-in-Charge)||1972-1974|| Lionel Frank Webber (Priest-in-Charge)|
(from St. Martin's, Basildon)
Parish of St. Martin of Tours with Holy Cross, St. Nicholas, with Nevendon and Dunton - 1980 - 1989
| Lionel Frank Webber (Rural Dean) (St. Martin's, Basildon)||1980|
Parish of St. Gabriel's, Pitsea cum Nevendon - 1989 -
| Laurence Blaney (Priest-in-Charge) (St. Gabriel's, Pitsea)||1989|| Diane Antonia Deer||2004|
| Esther Elaine McCafferty (Priest-in-Charge)||1997|| Simon Anthony Law||2010|
1) The church received listed status on 24th March 1950.
2) (Source: London Gazette, 30/05/1941, Issue No. 35176 p. 3086).
3) (Source: London Gazette, 10/02/1972, Issue No. 45595 p. 1687).