blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2012 Forum Threads - January to June

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2012 entries
Click here for July - December entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

01) Brighton Run pub - 2 replies.
02) Newspapers - 3 replies.
03) Oldstores / post office Pitsey
04) Pitsea, Bowers Gifford and Vange war memorials - 11 replies.
05) Laindon Hotel - 2 replies.
06) Ken Page visit to UK
07) Old hall near Mapleford Sweep
08) Bartons Bakery - 8 replies.
09) Pig farm in Pitsea - 5 replies.
10) St. Margaret's School, Bowers Gifford - 3 replies.
11) "The plots" Pitsea - 1 reply.
12) Woodfield Road, Pitsea
13) Ex Plotlander's Visit
14) Johnny Birch - 6 replies.
15) Long Riding public house
16) Old map of Basildon - 1 reply.
17) Mr Cluff, Laindon High Road School
18) Memories of growing up in Basildon - 1 reply.
19) Basildon Heritage
20) Bata shoe shop
21) Armada FC
22) Flacks shop, Laindon - 2 replies.
23) Plotlands bungalow - 3 replies.
blank.gif
1.  Brighton Run pub
Posted by keith nock Email User on 17/1/2012, 10:55 am
hi i wonder if anyone remembers the brighton run i remember when i worked at tonibell ice cream depot we used to go to brighton run to see strippers and harry scott the comedian it used to be full up on friday lunch time

Re: Brighton Run pub
Posted by Alan Email User on 24/1/2012, 2:30 pm
Back in the sixties groups or bands as known now such as Orange Hush Playground were playing there run by wheatley taverns sunk many a pint there listening to the groups, good quality music pricy beer and plastic glasses!! but hey who cares I enjoyed those sixties very much. yes and i saw those strippers you rascal I loved harry scott top draw lol!!

Re: Brighton Run pub
Posted by Delbert Cross on 16/10/2012, 2:30 pm
I'm sure chart act Mungo Jerry of "In the summertime" fame played at the Brighton Run back in the day. It's now called the Dick Turpin.

2.  Newspapers
Posted by Antony Email User on 24/1/2012, 3:17 pm
Do any of the local librarys hold microfilm or actually copies of the basildon standard from the 1960's?

Thanks

Re: Newspapers
Posted by Colin Email User on 2/2/2012, 4:10 pm
Hi Antony,

The Essex Records Office in Chelmsford have these on micro film. You will need to have a readers card to use the facility but this can be done when you visit, just take a drivers licence or other forms of ID. There is no charge for this but if you want to take copies you can buy credits for their copy machine.
I hope that this is of some help.

Kind regards

Colin

Posted by Antony Email User on 5/2/2012, 11:16 am
Thanks Colin

Do you know how far they go back and which ones they have?

Many Thanks

A

Posted by Colin Email User on 7/2/2012, 5:02 am
Hi Anthony,

My wife Nina was looking through the collection last week and seems to recall that they start around 1955 and run up to the 1990's. The newspaper Nina was looking through was the Basildon Recorder but I think that there are other local newspapers in the collection. If you contact the reading room they may be able to give you more accurate information, we have always found them to be extremely helpful.

01245 244644 (ask for reading room)
ero.enquiry@essex.gov.uk

3.  Oldstores / post office Pitsey
Posted by margaret wilford Email User on 28/1/2012, 3:34 pm
im researching my grandmother who bought a shop and p.o at pitsey app 1926. her name was rose adelaide wilford. my father herbert aged 10yrs and his sister delcie 13yrs lived with her. she came from islington where she had a cigarette/cigar and sweet shop in camden passage. which she left her husband joseph to run while she was in pitsey. i dont know what connection she had in pitsey, as she originally came from brighton. we visited the shop which was derelict 1948. any help appreciated.

4.  Pitsea, Bowers Gifford and Vange war memorial
Posted by Jo Cullen Email User on 15/2/2012, 5:53 pm
I am reaserching for a Roll of honour for those that were killed in WW1. Has anyone any information about the men behind the names on the memorial and do you know of casualties that did not appear on the memorials

Re: Pitsea, Bowers Gifford and Vange war memorials
Posted by Peter Brown Email User on 21/2/2012, 1:34 am
Hello,
I am currently working on a book about the fallen from Southend-on-Sea and the surrounding area, which includes those who had some connection with Southend. Several of these were from Vange, and are commemorated on the Vange Memorial.
If I can help you I will.
Regards
Peter

Posted by jo cullen Email User on 21/2/2012, 4:23 am
Hi Peter I would be pleased to have any info you have on Vange casualties. So far I have found 22 casualties from Vange but only 15 of them are on the memorial. I still have six more to find. I have found one on the listings of memorials at Sutton Road Cemetery Southend on Sea. I will look through the work I have done and see if any of it has connections to Southend Jo

Posted by Peter Brown Email User on 21/2/2012, 6:48 pm
Hello Jo,
I have a fairly comprehensive list of the fallen, and am now just cross-referencing them between obituaries, roll of honour lists, etc.
I shall send you the chaps that I have confirmed so far - just give me a day or so, there are over 1,000 to check through at the moment.
Best regards
Peter

Posted by jo cullen Email User on 22/2/2012, 2:12 am
Thanks I look forward to receiving them Jo

Posted by Peter Brown Email User on 2/3/2012, 5:22 pm
Hello,
I shall let you have what I have in a day or so. I have to progress the book alphabetically and will compile what I have at hand for you, with more to follow. If you aware of any photographs of the servicemen named I would be grateful for the tip.
Best regards
Peter

Posted by margaret jackson Email User on 16/3/2012, 3:20 pm
Reply to Jo's request. Do you know there is a war memorial tablet in Holy Cross Church Basildon and a number of men killed on active sevice in the first world war are commemorated there. Also a young schoolgirl killed when a bomb hit homes in Gordon Road, Basildon in the second world war is buried in the churchyard.

Posted by jo Cullen Email User on 19/3/2012, 12:59 am
Thanks for the info about Basildon Church Holy Cross. I visited yesterday and took photos of the War Memorial and interior of church

Posted by Peter Brown Email User on 8/5/2012, 6:40 pm
Hello Jo,
I am just completing the book now, so in a few days should be able to let you have what I have happy.gif
Best regards
Peter

Posted by Peter Brown Email User on 12/5/2012, 6:39 pm
Hello Jo,
I have a list of 18 men known to be on the memorial, and another 11 who lived in Vange, etc, but am unsure if some of them are on the memorial or not.
It is a lot of text to copy/paste here, so can I get in contact with you directly?
Best regards
Peter

Posted by Peter Brown Email User on 13/5/2012, 3:26 pm
Or would the board moderator allow all the text to go on here?

Posted by Jo Cullen Email User on 4/2/2013, 8:27 pm
Hi Peter As I had not heard from you for a while I thought you had lost interest I was being informed automatically of any answers to this site but I never got the one asking for my E-mail. You are welcome to use it to send list of names basildonheritage.org.uk Thanks Jo

5.  Laindon Hotel
Posted by Ian hutchison Email User on 16/2/2012, 6:50 pm
I used to drink in the laindon hotel back in the late 1970's one of my happiest memories was announcing my engagement to yvonne gibbs there we used to watch a guy called Richard sing there on Saturday nights I wonder if anyone else remembers him singing?

Re: Laindon Hotel
Posted by yvonne hatt Email User on 28/2/2012, 8:28 am
i remember the good times
richie schofield was the singer
alan used to play the drums, still see him

Re: Laindon Hotel
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 29/3/2012, 8:51 am
Pity it couldn't be rebuilt to its Original design, instead of the planned 24/7 KFC?

6.  Ken Page visit to UK
Posted by Andrea Email User on 2/3/2012, 3:55 pm
Ken Page and his wife Barb have left their home in Oz and are cruising their way to UK; they will arrive here in April. A reunion is being arranged for Ken at the Manor Mission, Laindon on 21st April, 10 till 3pm. It would be great to gather as many of Ken's old pals as possible. You can email me if you intend to come and I will keep you informed should there be any change.

7.  Old hall near Mapleford Sweep
Posted by Jane Email User on 8/3/2012, 6:02 am
I grew up in Mapleford Sweep from 1968 to 1974 when I emigrated to Australia. I remember a little hall that they bulldosed to make Mid Colne. They used to run a little club there for girls called The Monday Club and we used to sew for African children and sing religious songs. It was re-located to the hall in Church Road opposite Swan Mead school but my mum wouldn't allow me to go as I would have to cross the main road (Clay Hill Road) so I couldn't go any more.

8.  Bartons Bakery
Posted by Julie Rothwell Email User on 12/3/2012, 5:37 am
Hi I have only just found this site as i was looking for the history of Bartons Bakery. I worked there from the age of fifteen to twenty one (1962-1968). I worked in the finishing room icing birthday and wedding cakes I even became a chargehand with a special hat. Hello Brian are you the same Brian Baylis who was in my class at LHS, my late dad worked at Cottis Bakery so I will leave a message there later Julie Rothwell (Judith Drewer)

Re: Bartons Bakery
Posted by David Griggs Email User on 14/3/2012, 12:32 pm
Hello Julie
This struck a cord with me because my Dad worked for Barton's in the office at Chadwell Heath until he retired in 1970. We lived above a Bartons shop in Poplar until 1956.
Regards
David

Posted by Julie Rothwell Email User on 15/3/2012, 4:32 am
Hello David, thank you for your response, although I worked in the bakery in Paycocke road some of my cakes probably went to your dads shop. In the early days Bartons used to put on a dinner and dance for all the shop and bakery workers but things must have been tight even then because they stopped after a few years-typical!
Julie

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 16/3/2012, 12:46 pm
Hello Julie, I AM the same person, and nice of you to remember me. I too worked in Bartons for a spell, mainly putting jam in doughnuts.

Posted by Julie Rothwell (Judith Drewer) Email User on 16/3/2012, 1:32 pm
Hello Brian, I do not remember you working at Bartons. I have just found the Laindon site which my cousin Ken Marchant put me on to so I have been glued to the computer for the past week and have been reading the comments from all the Laindon people along with yours, its very nostalgic. Julie

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 17/3/2012, 6:22 pm
Hello Julie

I never stopped long in any job back then, but then that was my way. I did eventually slow down.

Posted by Julie Rothwell (Judith Drewer) Email User on 18/3/2012, 6:59 am
Hi Brian, I think we all slow down eventually.
I had other jobs one being with STC I worked there a couple of years until I left to have my eldest son who has just turned 40 now that does make me feel old!! I do remember Pamela Atkins working at Bartons for a while.
Take care

Posted by Colin Ferrier Email User on 21/3/2012, 11:51 am
Hi Julia, you possibly knew my wife, Peggy Everett. She worked for Mr Price the Sales Manager from when the bakery opened up until we got married in February 1965. You may well have been involved in the icing of our wedding cake which I'm told had special "run outs"

Posted by Julie Rothwell Email User on 21/3/2012, 2:49 pm
Hello Colin, I do remember a Peggy but she worked in the finishing room so she may be a different Peggy. Your wedding cake if it was special was probably iced by Fred Knightly, he was our foreman and brilliant cake decorater. Hope that helps you.
Julie.

9.  Pig farm in Pitsea
Posted by donna Email User on 19/3/2012, 6:43 pm
hi doe.s any one know anythink about the pig farm as it was my nan.s years and years ago and she died before i learnt any history as i was very young at the time ..

Re: Pig farm in Pitsea
Posted by Dodgy Rog Email User on 31/3/2012, 10:38 am
Hi Donna, Where abouts was the pig farm in Pitsea as there were a few years back, I'm thinking of one that used to be along Burnt Mills Road, I knew it as Simmonds pig farm.

Posted by donna Email User on 31/3/2012, 5:43 pm
it was the one near chalviden pub.. heading towards industral unit.s

Posted by Dodgy Rog Email User on 1/4/2012, 10:29 am
Yes that sounds like the one I used to deliver pig food there in the late fifties, but many people used to keep pigs in those days and down what used to be Hovefields Avenue

Posted by beryl lucas nee bull Email User on 6/8/2013, 10:35 pm
I (and my large family) lived in pitsea all my life I remember the pig farm being practually opposite the shop that we called walkers or witches through the alley off st marys crescent then turn right, my brothers were friends with the boy that lived on the pig farm and I also remember a blonde nice looking lady walking her pig down the road to the pig farm it was also I think a slaughter house. There was also a daughter who lived there as well she would be about fifty or older by now, does anybody remember the bull family from st marys crescent our names all started with the letter b except janet and Stephen

Posted by Karen di Capite nee McCree Email User on 13/10/2013, 7:37 pm
I grew up in Sunshine Villas directly opposite a pig farm. I will ask my mum if she remembers the names etc. It was in Rectory Road just before the Ashlyn/Tyfield roundabout as it is now!! Our back garden went directly onto the land of Great Chalvedon Hall which was then a private house. The land on which the pig farm stood is now a housing estate!!

10.  St. Margaret's School, Bowers Gifford
Posted by Geoff Andrews Email User on 19/3/2012, 7:19 pm
I notice that there is no mention on the website of Bowers Gifford. I lived off Pound Lane for many years and attended St Margarets School from 1953 to 59. Is there anyone who attended the school or lived in pound lane. Bowers Gifford certainly came under Basildon Council at that time so dont know why there is no mention of the school under schools on the website. Perhaps it is just outside the boundary.

Re: St. Margaret's School, Bowers Gifford
Posted by John Wernham Email User on 22/3/2012, 4:04 pm
Hi Geoff.
If you click on 'Childhood memories of Bowers Gifford, North Benfleet and Pitsea', (under 'Basildon Stories' on this webb site) you will read my memories of North Benfleet and Bowers Gifford, and also of St Margarets School. You must have been at this School when I was there from 1949-54.
Also a good friend of mine Peter Watts, has written WW2 stories of the area. I hope you find these memories/stories of the area interesting. Kind Regards. John Wernham.

Posted by Geoff Andrews Email User on 22/3/2012, 9:23 pm
Thank you for that John, I didnt search enough!
Im afraid I do not remember your name but I was at St Margarets from 1953 to 59 so you would have been ahead of me. My Sister Margaret would have been there then as she is 4 years older than me. I will ask her if she remembers you. She might well be in the picture you posted.
I remember all the teachers you mention although Mr Sweet took over as headmaster. There was a reunion of the school last year. Did you go? If so you may have met my Sister there. I couldnt go as I live in Australia now.
I also remember the places in Pound Lane you mention, The smithy etc. We lived in Grange Road,
My Mother, Gwen would have known your family I should think but she died in 2005. Did you belong the scouts? I remember they used to meet in a nissan hut behind the post office in Pound Lane until they built a new hut on the playing field over the road.
If you would like to chat about the area I would love to hear from you as I have quite a few memories of Bowers Gifford.
My e mail is geoffandrews194@hotmail.com

Posted by Geoff Andrews Email User on 27/3/2012, 7:28 pm
I was at St Margaret's School between 1953 and 59.
Is there anyone who remembers me?
Would like to hear from anyone who attended the School then particularly my best friend Jeffrey Summers who lived in Hadleigh and Sandra Whiddet (May be wrong spelling) who lived off Pound Lane, Bowers Gifford. Other names I remember are Peter Doney and Paul Negus whose father was a teacher at the school and passed away while I was there.

11.  "The plots" Pitsea
Posted by Geoff Andrews Email User on 19/3/2012, 7:35 pm
Im not sure if this site covers the area but dous anyone remember "the plots" off Pound lane, Pitsea. I lived in Grange Road off Pound lane for many years and remember walking to Burnt Mill lane. All the roads were unmade and no mains drainage. I remember Electricity being put on only in the 1950s.

Re: "The plots" Pitsea
Posted by pat Email User on 15/4/2012, 2:48 pm
hi geoff. not sure what you mean by The Plots. but I remember both the names you mention. My grandfather bought a plot of land in Trenham ave in 1930s. I was born in the bungalow they built on it. I remember them having electric put on in the 1940s when i was 10

12.  Woodfield Road, Pitsea
Posted by Doreen Mansell Email User on 5/4/2012, 6:20 am
Does anyone have any knowledge of Woodfield Road, Pitsea (now demolished) c 1915 please? My mother was fostered by a family living there - possibly the Brittons - who lived at Broadwater Cottage in 1915. This family appear on the 1911 census but at an address of 'Station Estate', Pitsea. Was this a different place altogether? Any knowledge of Woodfield Rd., Station Estate or the Britton family would be very useful.

Thanks

13.  Ex Plotlander's Visit
Posted by Andrea (nee Pinnell) Email User on 6/4/2012, 12:12 pm
Just a gentle reminder - hopefully you can attend the reunion for Ken Page and wife at the Manor Mission, Laindon on 21st April, 10 till 3pm.June. It would be good for him to return to Australia with great memories of his original home.

14.  Johnny Birch
Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 9/4/2012, 12:12 am
I am looking for Johnny birch, knew him years ago when working For DC Jeakins, and lost touch many years ago, will be good to say hi to my ole mate.

Re: Johnny Birch
Posted by Brian cordell Email User on 12/4/2012, 2:11 pm
G'day Brian how are you i see John b down battlesbridge motor cycle museum now and again did you know vic wiles has gone? You must be oap like the rest of us still see John Rowe and Dave norton and I'm L tell us what your up to . Brian cordell

Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 13/4/2012, 1:25 am
G"day Brian, glad to know you are well and made the OAP club. Sorry to hear about Vic Wiles, have contacted him a couple of times on Basildon on line. Still living in Sydney, and i suppose will die here, but not for a while hopefully. If you see JB give him my regards and anyone you meet. All the best

Posted by Brian cordell Email User on 13/4/2012, 10:56 am
G'day Brian nice to here you still alive do you surf the other laindoners history site I have put some pics on it. you are in there go to laindon youth our motor cycle gang I,ll try and get in touch with jb for you all the best .Bc

Posted by Brian Slaughter Email User on 17/4/2012, 10:23 pm
Hi Brian, sorry i dont know the other site, and cannot find it, what is the address?, thanks for your help, regards BS

Posted by Brian cordell Email User on 18/4/2012, 3:38 am
Hi Brian .try laindon and district community archive all the best B c

Posted by Brian cordell Email User on 4/5/2012, 12:16 pm
Hi Brian . J.B ***** 753362.B.C397

15.  Long Riding public house
Posted by dawn licorish Email User on 9/4/2012, 8:14 am
hi i hope someone can help im a good friend of the landlady at the long riding public house in basildon and i was wondering if u can help, i have found on the site the pub was opened in january or febuary in 1958 but i was hoping that u could give us a percific date on when it opened and any other information as we would like to know the history of it and would like to know if u could send us the information that we are looking for
thank u so much for your time
mrs dawn licorish
p.s i would realy appecicate if u could post me any photo copies of anything u have
once again thank u

16.  Old map of Basildon
Posted by Terry Tomlin Email User on 11/4/2012, 8:28 am
I am interested to know the topography and geography of the area dating back as far as possible, i.e., early maps that show the area prior to 1900 and beyond, and particularly any information about the farms that existed.
Many Thanks.

Re: Old map of Basildon
Posted by arthur reader Email User on 29/4/2012, 8:30 am
Terry,

I do not have any maps but I lived next to the first house to be built in Basildon. It was down by the bridge in pitsea that crosses the road.
That was in 1952 I think.

17.  Mr Cluff, Laindon High Road School
Posted by Harry Horton Email User on 19/4/2012, 4:30 pm
Are there any members of Mr Cluffs class of 1946 still in Basildon area.??

18.  Memories of growing up in Basildon
Posted by Natasha Email User on 23/4/2012, 11:56 am
Hello
I'm currently making an artwork which will be on public display at Wat Tyler Country Park. The artwork will represent Basildon & what it means to us.
I'd love to hear from anyone who grew up in the district - what is your earliest memory of Basildon? How has Basildon district changed over the years? What are your hopes for its future?
I hope to include all contributions in the artworks so many thanks in advance.

Natasha

Re: Memories of growing up in Basildon
Posted by Pat Goldswain Email User on 28/11/2013, 6:24 pm
I was just 5 years old when we moved into Basildon having spent my growing years till then in Dagenham where we lived with my grandparents. When we moved into our house in Methersgate, there was a lot of farm land around us. At the top of the road was one where I met another little girl and we played in her playhouse up in a barn loft. When we walk along the Broadway I think it was called there were cows about and Dad took us to walk by and look at them.

Our house had no garden to start with, but Dad made a wonderful one, with climbing roses up against the high fence in the back garden, lovely smelling ones I remember so well. The lawn was his pride and joy, with a rock garden at the very end of it. In the front garden shrubs surrounded the lawn. For a Londoner, he had extremely green fingers. We often walked up past the Infant school, the church there...Holy Cross I think, and along a beautiful lane where we picked blackberries. My brother Steve Shean, played cricket and football at the pitch thereabouts. In 1964 we left for Cape Town, and proceeded to have a most wonderful life there. I am so grateful to my parents for being brave enough to make what was in retrospect a most challenging and daring move.

I took two of my sons and husband to look at the street and the house, no 78.. and it looked so small..no garden just cars, shabby and horrible. I could have wept. They said, you didnt live here did you mom...thank goodness mom and dad never saw what we saw. Every blade of grass gone, all the meadows and fields gone...It looked so terrible.

Anyway, I can share other stories of the New Town Centre...(oh the excitement with the first Sainsburys!)...The building of that horrific high rise block in the middle of it!!! How safe it was to go playing in the woods ...how grateful I am that I lived there when it was so semi rural...

Pat Goldswain (Shean) 78 Methersgate...

19.  Basildon Heritage
Posted by Basildon Heritage Email User on 27/4/2012, 4:43 pm
Hi Basildon Heritage is based at Wat Tyler Park, we collect photos and memories to archive and put on displays around Basildon Borough. We are currently doing projects on Royal Basildon, Sporting Basildon and World War One casulties from our Borough. If anyone has any photos or memories of Royal visits to Basildon Borough or any photos and memories of Sporting Basildon or any genereral history photos of our borough that we can scan please either email us either with digital copies or post to our facebook page or arrange for one of us to come to you to scan them. You can also come down to Wat Tyler Park Green Center on Mondays and Wednesdays between 10 and 12 or most Saturdays between 10 and 4 to see us. Many thanks in anticipation of your help.
Basildon Heritage

20.  Bata shoe shop
Posted by doreen mansell Email User on 28/4/2012, 5:31 am
My father Frederick William (Bill) Murray had a shoe repaires shop in Vange in the 1930's. I believe he was manager of Bata's shoe shop in Pitsea in the 1930's. Any photos of the shop or info Please

21.  Armada FC
Posted by arthur reader Email User on 29/4/2012, 7:50 am
Be glad to hear from any old Armada football players circa 1954. I was the goal keeper. Also played for Pitsea United at the gun.

22.  Flacks shop, Laindon
Posted by keith nock Email User on 24/5/2012, 8:19 am
hi does anyone remember flacks shop in wash rd laindon dennis flack and his sister run it and it was a post office as well they used to sell meats hams and most things

Re: Flacks shop, Laindon
Posted by Bob Smith Email User on 9/7/2012, 3:30 pm
Greetings, yes I remember Flacks, and my Mother and I shopping there.

Re: Flacks shop, Laindon
Posted by caroline franklin Email User on 6/9/2012, 1:26 pm
my mum chistina brown worked at flacks shop in the early 60s. my aunt & uncle Stan & mable Smith lived opposite the shop. I used to cycle to their bungelow in my lunch hr from the high rd school.

23.  Plotlands bungalow
Posted by Andrew Papworth Email User on 21/6/2012, 6:26 am
Does anybody recognize the name of a plotlands bungalow called "Shaston".
From the 1950s to compulsory purchase it was owned by the Cavanagh family from the East End who used it as a summer and weekend retreat.

We're trying to find out exactly where it was - all we know is that it wasn't far from Laindon Station. Any memories would be welcome.

Re: Plotlands bungalow
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 29/6/2012, 3:00 pm
Hi Andrew,

I have been looking for my book on The Plotlands, but seem to have misplaced it, so when I do come across it, I will look it up for you, as i am certain there is a map in it, showing each bungalow.

Posted by Lee Email User on 1/7/2012, 2:44 pm
If you go to roselake.co.uk you should find what you are looking for

Posted by Admin (Bill) on 17/11/2012, 6:25 pm
In the main website if you check former property names for Langdon Hills there is a Shaston located at Marlboro Road. Here is a direct link.
The area around Marlboro Road (which no longer exists) now has an artificial landscaped hill created in the 1970s from the spoil when the nearby Langdon Hills housing estate was under construction. It now forms part of the Marks Hill nature reserve. Hope this helps.

Click here for July - December 2012 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2011
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM