A Basildon Chronology|
1900 1901 1902 1903 1904|
Langdon Hills Cricket Club founded. For many years the club had its headquarters at Crown Meadow
opposite The Crown (now Harvester) public house. They can now be watched at Corringham Recreation Ground near Stanford-le-Hope.
25th September -
Edward Tufnell elected to serve as Conservative member of parliament for the Essex South Eastern parliamentary
constituency - including Basildon. Majority 1,354. Conservatives win general election.
Building plots are advertised on the Alexander Park Estate in Pitsea. The new estate, located behind
the Railway Hotel public house in Northlands Drive, begins undertaking the sale of plots, with many being priced at £8. A typical frontage was 20ft with
a depth of up to 250ft. The sales would continue to 1906.
Sir Joseph Cockfield Dimsdale of Goldsmiths, Langdon
Hills appointed Lord Mayor of London. He was born in Cornhill, London on 19th January 1849 and educated
at Eton; Goldsmiths being the families country residence. His distinguished career in public office also included
a term as conservative MP for the former City of London parliamentary seat from 1900 to 1906. He died
aged 63 on 9th August 1912.
Gordon Mission Hall in Timberlog Lane (now Clay
Hill Road), Vange opened. The hall opened as a Free Church later becoming a Methodist Church on
17th January 1954 following a merger with the New Town Methodist Church. Services would later transfer
to the new Trinity Methodist Church, constructed close by in the same road, which opened on 2nd April
1960. The land on which it stands was given on condition it be named after General Gordon. Charles
George Gordon, 28/01/1833 - 26/01/1885. It was registered for marriages from 31/01/1906. There
are three foundation stones at the front of the hall, two of which bear the date 5th August 1901
and laid by Mrs A.E. Heard and Mrs R. Brazil, while the third is scribed H. Bridger Builders Vange. Today
it has become one of the rare number of pre-new town buildings to remain in the Vange area.
A public hall at Langdon Hills opened. The new hall,
situated along the High Road, was funded by local businessman Mr. Harry Foulger and known as Nightingale. The
Nightingale Mission Church, formed the following year, held their services there until 1907 when they
moved across the road to a new building which they called Nightingale Mission Hall. This hall then
became Old Nightingale Hall. In 1909 Laindon Baptist Church became an official fellowship and held
their services in the hall - they had a large sign displayed above the front entrance - until
1931 when a new church was built on the opposite side of the High Road. Years later the hall was
demolished and properties in Kiln Shaw on a housing estate constructed in the 1970s now stand roughly
where the hall used to be.
Education Act 1902 introduced. Among the new Act's
provisions was the abolition of school boards set up by the previous Elementary Education Act 1870.
Laindon Hills and Laindon Co-operative and Industrial
Society Limited formed. The society was founded with the intent of building up local business and establishing
wealth within the community. Two shops were established; 11 High Street and 1 Nightingale Parade,
Station Road, which was also the registered office. The president was Mr. Harry Foulger. Unfortunately
the society was short lived as the Registrar of Friendly Societies cancelled membership the following
year on 13th May. Another later company bearing a similar name was Laindon Co-operative Produce Company
Limited. The company was active during the 1910s and into the 1920s before being declared insolvent
on 9th July 1926.
Manor Hall in High Road, Laindon officially opened. The hall, which stood on the west side of High Road, was opened by the chairman of Laindon Parish
Council, John Markham, as the second of two events that day after earlier declaring open the mains water supply connection to the new Manor House
Estate. A mission church, affiliated with the Nightingale Mission in Langdon Hills, was soon established which continued to around 1914. Later in 1919
Manor Mission undenominational church was founded and used the hall through to 1926 when their own building at Manor Road was opened. From 1925
Essex County Council held monthly sessions attended by a Health Visitor, Medical Officers and district Nurses. Manor Hall was later demolished,
possibly during the following decade.
The first piped water supply in the area is installed in the main Pitsea - Vange road (later A13). Previously water was carried from wells. A parish pump
once stood in the area where Eversley Road joins London Road. It was the only supply for miles and was in use until around 1904 when the piped supply
came into use. Mr. William Hatch, from Pitsea, had the job of maintaining the pump for which he was paid the sum of 7s 6d (35½p) a week. The
Southend Waterworks Company were responsible for the new supply, which ran to Vange from a main at Bowers Gifford. This was also used to supply
North Benfleet with water after a 4 inch distribution main was laid at a cost of £1,290.
A residential Labour Farm Colony is established at
Sumpners Farm, Dunton. Run by the Poplar Board of Guardians, it housed Poor Law east London men until
closure in the 1940s. The site, comprising 100 acres of farmland, was purchased by an American Joseph
Fels who then leased it to the Guardians at a peppercorn rent. The facilities, which included converting
a barn to a 50 bed dormitory and day room, could accommodate up to 150 men. London County Council later
took over responsibility for the site and buildings through to the mid 1950s when the site was vacated. Later in
1958 businessman Charles Gray established
the Charles Caravan Park on land adjacent to the former colony. This initially was limited to 50
caravans and licenced to run for a 6 month summer-only period terminating on the last day of October. Due
to the sites geographical position within the metropolitan green belt a permanent licence at that
time was never granted and around June 1960 ownership of that site and the former colony passed to
Charles Stedman. Later, Essex County Council granted permission for a permanent site which established
itself on the site of the disused colony. It is now the site of Dunton Caravan Park.
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2001 with revisions and additions 2002-2017.
Copyright © 2001-2017, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
Acknowledgements and Bibliography