|
A Basildon Chronology |
 |
| The 1970s |
 |
|
1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 |
 |
|
|
|
| 1977 |
|
Church Walk House in Church Walk, Basildon completed. Three storey building built for
occupation by Basildon Development Corporation as their property housing office on an area of
waste ground when Pagel Mead was realigned to the west of St. Martin's Church. Its primary use
for the public was as a rent office for residents with a corporation tenancy though there was a
single cashier for Basildon Council tenants. The Citizens Advice Bureau were, for many years,
also based there when the ground floor waiting area underwent a conversion during the
1980s. Basildon Council became the occupant on a lease arrangement following the Commission
for the New Towns transfer of properties in 1994 although rents were transferred to the Basildon
Centre. The Council later vacated the building around 2008/09 and as of 2011 is now the home
of New Campus Basildon run by SEEVIC College. |
|
Left turn vehicular access to or off the London bound A127 Arterial Road carriageway
at the southern section of Pound Lane in Laindon is stopped up. An Order dated 4th April first appeared in the London Gazette on 21st April. Changes to
the wording were later made to the original Order (dated 29th July) which was then issued again by the London Gazette on 4th August.
HIGHWAYS ACTS 1959 TO 1971
The East of London-Southend Trunk flood (Closure of Pound Lane (South) Basildon Side Roads) Order 197. (Source:
The London Gazette, publication date: 21/04/1977, issue number: 47201, page: 5352.) HIGHWAYS ACTS 1959 TO 1971
The East of London-Southend Trunk Road (Closure of Pound Lane (South) Basildon Side Roads) Order 1977 (Source:
The London Gazette, publication date: 04/08/1977, issue number: 47291, page: 10069.) Pound Lane, which is believed to date from the 1800s or earlier,
in its original length ran unobstructed between St. Nicholas Lane and Wash Road. It was bisected when the A127 Artertial Road opened in 1925
and trisected in the early 1970s when Noak Hill Road was extended to link to Upper Mayne. It was crossed again in the early 2000s
by a new road called Hornbeam Way during construction of the Steeple View housing estate. The sections between Arterial
Road and Wash Road were later renamed Pound Lane Central and Pound Lane North. The Order to stop up Pound Lane
followed an identicle one a few years earlier when nearby Church Road's access to Arterial Road was stopped up. As part of the
Order at the end of Pound Lane a short length of footpath to Arterial Road was constructed but unlike Church Road it was not
considered necessary to create a vehicle turning area. |
|
The first units on the Laindon North Industrial Estate are let. This new industrial estate was built
over woodland and former residential properties that comprised Archer Road and Victoria Crescent. Dick
Barnes' slaughterhouse, built years earlier off Victoria Crescent, survived the new development and
was given a Stannetts address. Soft drinks company Alpine and Laindon based G.A. Collinson Fencing were
among the first businesses to rent unit space at Newlands End and Stannetts respectively. |
|
Briscoe County Infants' and Junior School at Felmores End, Pitsea opened. The school was built to
serve the Felmore housing developments then under construction. In 2002 the two schools amalgamated,
becoming Briscoe Primary. |
|
Merrylands County Primary School in Cumberland Drive, Laindon opened. The school was built to
serve Laindon West where private housing and new development corporation housing estates (Laindon 8/9)
were either under construction or planned. |
|
Eversley County Primary School in Crest Avenue, Pitsea opened. |
|
16th century Great Chalvedon Hall in Tyefields, Pitsea purchased from its final residential owners by
Basildon Council. It would subsequently find use as a public house. |
|
Ford Motor Company take over the Station House office complex in Cherrydown East as the headquarters of their European Truck Division. The building,
which Ford renamed Trafford House, had lain empty since its completion in 1975. Up to 800+ workers were employed here through to 2010, when Ford
transferred the Truck Division to their Research and Engineering site at Dunton, Essex. The pathway linking the front entrance to the rear entrance of
Basildon railway station was later given a roof supported by brick pillars, though this was subsequently removed around 2015. |
June |
Properties on the Chalvedon 3 housing development off Ashlyns and Pitsea Road completed. The new 1375 homes for rent estate of 2, 3, and 4
bedroomed houses, flats and maisonettes, was built in three phases on a 98½ acre site (39.9 hectares) by Basildon Development Corporation and
is one of the largest in the town's short history. Work on the construction began in June 1975 on scrub land and former residential areas where homes
predated the new town. The properties were designed by Ahrends, Burton and Koralek on behalf of Basildon Development Corporation and constructed
by C.S. Wiggins & Sons Limited. The terraced properties comprise Beambridge/Place/Court, Broomfields/Mews/Place/Court, Wickford Court/Place/Mews,
Moretons/Mews/Place/Court, Travers Way, Chalk End, Cheshunts, Wimbish End/Mews/Court, Mill Green/Place/Court, Walthams/Place, Malgraves/Place
and Eastbrooks/Place/Mews and all connected to the (then) Rediffusion piped television service. Vehicular access to the properties is via Ashlyns, Pitsea Road
and Wickford Avenue. |
12th April |
Building contractors Coward begin work on the Felmore 1 housing development in Pitsea. The properties were the work of the architects Ahrends, Burton
and Koralek on behalf of Basildon Development Corporation. |
7th June |
Street parties were held throughout the town in celebration of the Queen's Silver Jubilee. Some of the many streets known to have participated
include Alracks/Boytons, Falstones, Jermayns, Shepeshall and Woolmergreen in Lee Chapel North; Victoria Road recreation ground,
Rising Grove, Danacre and Spurriers in Laindon; Ardleigh in Lee Chapel South; Addison Pavement and Halstow Way in Pitsea; Elm Green
in Chalvedon; Rochester Way in Craylands; Codenham Green in Kingswood; Butneys in Ghyllgrove; Redgrave Road in Vange, and Frettons
and Long Riding in Barstable. Not all parties were held on Tuesday 7th with some areas choosing to hold them on Saturday. |
31st July |
Dunton County Primary School in Lower Dunton Road closes. The school, which opened in early 1929, had suffered a fall in pupil numbers being deemed
uneconomic to run. Following closure the building became a secondary tutorial unit for displaced pupils until around 1988 and is now a privately owned
residence called Dunton Grange. |
September |
Local fanzine "Strange Stories" begins publication priced at 20p. Mainly covering the local
music scene with gig reviews, it ran to 20 monthly editions through to 1979. It was
succeeded by a new magazine entitled "Some of That", which offered a wider topic whilst retaining
the local musical aspect of Strange Stories. Richard Seager, from Vange, was heavily involved in both publications. |
1st September |
St. Anselm's Roman Catholic secondary school in Fryerns begins the transition to becoming a mixed school with the first intake
of girls. |
7th November |
Vehicular access to Victoria Road, Laindon from the High Road, and Railway Approach from
Victoria Road is now prohibited. This was necessary due to the ongoing construction of West Mayne (B148) from its entrance/exit point off
the existing High Road/St. Nicholas Lane roundabout to the Dunton Wayletts junction of the A127 Arterial Road. The main effect of the Order
will be to prohibit any vehicle from proceeding in that length of Victoria Road, Laindon, from the western kerb line of Laindon High Road
westwards for a distance of 19 metres. Vehicular access to High Road for all those affected by the change will be from Roberts Road. In the
case of Railway Approach, a short length of the road and the land beneath it was completely removed and replaced with a pedestrian
overbridge. The original Order was issued in April 1976 as BASILDON DISTRICT COUNCIL - The District
of Basildon (Victoria Road and Railway Approach Laindon) (Prohibition of Driving) Order 1976.
Source: The London Gazette, publication date: 22/04/1976, issue number: 46882, page: 5915. For whatever reasons known at the time, possibly
objections, the Order was republished in November 1977 with some slight changes to the wording. BASILDON DISTRICT COUNCIL - The District
Council of Basildon (Victoria Road and Railway Approach, Laindon) (Prohibition of Driving) Order 1977.
Source: The London Gazette, publication date: 04/11/1977, issue number: 47369, page: 13915. |
| |
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2001 with revisions and additions 2002-2017.
Copyright © 2001-2017, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved. |
Acknowledgements and Bibliography
Contact: E-Mail |
 |