blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2006 Forum Threads - July to December

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2006 entries
Click here for January - June entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

21) Black Cottages, Bowers Gifford - 1 reply.
22) Moat House - 2 replies.
23) Shop at Honeypot Lane
24) Shamrock House, Pitsea
25) Mr Whippy ice cream factory - 3 replies.
26) What are they going to do with Pitsea? - 2 replies.
27) Rectory Road barn - 3 replies.
28) John Crowley (Cattawade Link) - 5 replies.
29) Bungalows in St. Nicholas Church area of Laindon - 1 reply.
30) Bonallack & Sons Coachbuilders - 2 replies.
31) Girls Life Brigade - 2 replies.
32) Laindon or Langdon Hills in the 1950s - 5 replies.
33) Dunton Drive, Laindon
34) Orange Line Taxis - 8 replies.
35) Mobile tuck shops - 3 replies.
36) Railway Hotel, Pitsea - 4 replies.
37) Research - 3 replies.
38) Vacationing in Basildon - 1 reply.
39) Search for relatives - 2 replies.
40) Whife and Sloper dairies and Firmans dairy - 5 replies.
41) Milton Bus Service - 2 replies.
42) Relatives in Laindon
43) Basildon's Astrodome
44) Pitsea War Memorial - 3 replies.
45) The Winston Social Club - 3 replies.
46) Topsy Saye - 1 reply.
47) Saturdays in Pitsea in the 1960s - 4 replies.
48) The Laindon School reunion
49) Sad loss of Dave Clark Five member - 1 reply.
50) Merry Christmas - 2 replies.
blank.gif
21.  Black Cottages, Bowers Gifford
Posted by Alfred Keeble Email User on 1/7/2006, 10:04 pm
DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER THE BLACK COTTAGES AT THE BOTTEM OF GUN HILL BOWERS GIFFORD? I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO KNOW WHEN THEY WAS PULLED DOWN.
THEY WERE A PAIR OF OLD WOODEN COTTAGES ON THE LEFT AS YOU CAME DOWN THE HILL

Re: Black Cottages, Bowers Gifford
Posted by Margaret Hickman Email User on 28/7/2006, 11:41 pm
I think they were still there in 1980 ish. They seemed to be always getting damaged by lorries or cars. Did you have a sister called Eileen? I was at school with an Eileen Keeble at Pitsea. My name was then Margaret Hickman. All the best. I live in Canterbury now.

22.  Moat House
Posted by Keith Thorburn Email User on 5/7/2006, 4:16 pm
Can anyone help me with street names for g/g/granparents houses? They were called Moat House now a mens club I believe, and Windamere. My father says when he left there were no street names in 1924, everyone just knew them. thanks, Keith. I am driving there tomorrow Thursday 07/07/06. Thanks.

Re: Moat House
Posted by Geoff Email User on 16/10/2006, 4:13 pm
Hi
I know it's a bit late but I've only just discovered this site.
My family lived in Basildon before the clearances by the development corporation.
My relatives, the Moores, farmed Moat house until 1921 and then moved to the Bryn and hilltop farms I believe. I'm not sure who had it after them.

The only house I know as Windermere was in Rectory road where my uncle Charles Baxter lived until the Corporation wanted that. What sort of period are you looking at?
Regards

Re: Moat House
Posted by Keith Thorburn Email User on 27/7/2007, 9:23 am
Sorry Geoff, only checked board next day when we were there. My wife is a Nadine Moore her father is A. J. Moore, we live in Australia. His parents Jeffery Herbert Moore and Doreen Elizabeth Baxter. His parents Harry George Moore from Moat House and Ellen Jeffery. Doreens parents Thomas Edwin Baxter and Kate Emilia Tutt. Not sure maybe Charles Baxter was one of Doreens {6} brothers. They came from Windamere. Found Moat House fishing club, any signs left of Windamere? Thanks Keith Thorburn

23.  Shop at Honeypot Lane
Posted by Glyn Willshere Email User on 2/8/2006, 8:15 pm
Hi everyone,
This is the first time I have used this message board but I have left a message elsewhere on the site. My grandfather ran a small shop along Honeypot Lane. Its location was almost exactly where the first bend of Witchards now is as you travel up it from the town centre. He sold sweets and various other items as well as charged accumulators of the time. He was also a good mechanic and used to repair bicycles and motorcycles. His daughter, Nellie, often used to work in the shop. I have a couple of old photos of the shop so I am amazed that all my efforts over the years have failed to find anyone with knowledge of the shop. There was an earlier building that he had put up called "The Follies." When I was eight years old in 1953 I went with my father to the old shop. A family called the Moores were renting it from my father. The son of the Moores was called Danny. Is there anyone out there who can give me any kind of information regarding the shop or the Moore family please? I believe my grandfather bought the property after the first world war. It was part of a government policy called "Back To The Land." The idea was to relieve the housing shortage as a result of the war.

24.  Shamrock House, Pitsea
Posted by Lesley Smith Email User on 13/8/2006, 11:40 am
This might be a long shot - I am posting this for my Mother June Anderson who lived in Pitsea during the war years and moved to Portsmouth aftea she married.
Her father was born in Shamrock House in which as far as mother remembers was a big house with a green frontage and either was on the London Road or High Road and just before the railway bridge in Pitsea.
Mother also believes this was a well known landmark. Any information on this house would be most welcomed.

25.  Mr Whippy ice cream factory
Posted by Carlo Roma Email User on 21/8/2006, 4:02 pm
Hello, i was wondering if anyone remembers the Mr Whippy Factory in Basildon. It made soft ice cream mix for sale in Pink & White Sales vans. My late father used to drive one of these & i would love to finish the history by finding out where this factory was. Many thanks carlo.

Re: Mr Whippy ice cream factory
Posted by Alan Green on 24/8/2006, 11:26 am
The only place I could think that could be is the Basildon Dairy Foods. I know they used to make yoghurt and butter and stuff like that there, whether or not they made ice cream there is another matter. Unfortunately it has since been pulled down and more factory units built on top of it.

Posted by Carlo Roma Email User on 24/8/2006, 4:19 pm
Thank you for replying, but unfortunatley this was not the site. carlo

Posted by Kevin Jennings Email User on 2/9/2006, 10:01 am
According to the book, "THE MISTER WHIPPY STORY" BY Steve Tillyer the factory was where the yogurt factory in cranes farm road was. The book also shows photos of the factory. Some of the vans were built by BONALLACKS also in BASILDON. The book can be purchased direct from NOSTALGIA ROAD PUBLICATIONS (01539 738832) E-MAIL admin@transpenninepublishing.co.uk, price £7.95 +p+p. The factory cost £250,000 in 1962, the price of a large house was only £2,000.

26.  What are they going to do with Pitsea?
Posted by Alan Green Email User on 24/8/2006, 1:07 pm
Just read in todays Basildon Echo that The Railway Pub in Pitsea may be pulled down to make way for flats or an old folks home. This would be a shame as Pitsea would lose a well known land mark. This would be added to other well known pubs to the area The Fortune of War and The Cricketers to be pulled down.

Not only this but the Pitsea Centre and Market appears to be on it's last legs, what with the market gradually dying, Sainsbury's leaving years ago (although that was inevitable what with Tesco expanding), AW Rusts shutting down, and Martins shutting as well. It seems that if the landowners (London & Cambridge Properties) get their way they'd gladly pull the whole lot down and build flats and houses on top of it. There was an article in the Echo about a Pitsea regeneration, what will this include I wonder? More fast food outlets to go with McDonalds, KFC, Subway, Pizza Express? Or maybe more bars. We have had a night club in Pitsea (The Playground) and that failed miserably, we've even had a snooker club (C & L) that was quite good actually and why that closed down I shall never know, and even a health centre and gym. When I think about it, what is there left to give Pitsea? We've had it all, and we've shunned it. Perhaps the close locality of the Festival Leisure Park is good enough, plus with Tesco expanding everything we need is there. It is sad to see our local town centre die, but if that happens then so be it. I guess the people of Pitsea will only have themselves to blame.

Re: What are they going to do with Pitsea?
Posted by John Email User on 31/8/2006, 12:12 pm
Alan, it is interesting to read your concerns covering the future of Pitsea, and what appears to be the inevitable demise of more landmarks, and the apparent decrease of mixed services. I guess from my perspective it might be appropriate to say "What have they done to Pitsea period?" I speak as a person who was raised in Pitsea and left for a new life in Australia in 1964. At the time of my departure there was already evidence of the rot setting in, and the pattern of decline appears to have continued, despite diversed effort to spark life into the place. During my periodic visits to family and friends I have noticed increasingly the disappearance of structural characteristics, and the general stripping of Pitsea's identity. When compared to many other townships throughout the UK, it would appear the opportunities for certain preservation and maintenance in Pitsea have been mindlessly ignored. Many buildings of historical value have been destroyed, or currently under threat, including some dating back hundreds of years. The potential closing of Pitsea market must create even more concern for the town, and would be the loss of yet another draw card, which historically is known throughout the district. Likewise The Railway Hotel is a building synonymous with Pitsea. I guess nobody can deny change, but Pitsea sadly seems destined to become a heartless bus stop for a supermarket and fast food etc. The Pitsea of my time wasn't exactly in the fast lane, but at least it had some character and civic pride, and provided some fond youthful memories. Let's hope there's a solution for the remains of Pitsea.

Re: What are they going to do with Pitsea?
Posted by Mick Email User on 21/10/2006, 6:30 pm
I left the Pitsea and Vange area in 1980 when I was 20 and at that time it seemed to be on the up. I visited last year for the first time to attend a funeral and couldn't believe what a mess it all was. maybe I'm looking back with rose tinted glasses. Anyway I'm glad I never stayed.

27.  Rectory Road barn
Posted by Martin Hale Email User on 25/8/2006, 1:03 pm
Hi, does anybody remember a barn at the top end of rectory road in pitsea? There used to be someone called bob who did welding & general repairs. It was next door to the general store that later became famous as a secondhand shop. I would like to know if either of those people are still around, (barry hayes) or bob. Great site, Martin.

Re: Rectory Road barn
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 26/8/2006, 9:37 pm
I have a friend in the Pitsea area and will ask them when I next speak with them. Are you the same Martin Hale that lived in Tyler Avenue, Laindon a few years back please?

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 5/10/2007, 9:41 pm
If you are the same Martin, then Many Happy Returns.

Posted by Barry Hockley Email User on 8/7/2008, 9:43 pm
just found this yes BARRY HAYES IS STILL IN BASILDON HE IS MY UNCLE

28.  John Crowley (Cattawade Link)
Posted by Glyn Willshere Email User on 31/8/2006, 8:02 pm
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jonny Crowley, who used to live in Cattawade Link around 1961? His father was Conny and his mother's name was Donna, this being a pet name for her by Conny. He had two sisters, one named Hazel and the other Kathy. John moved to South Africa around 1968 and his parents have now passed away. Brian Land was a lad we both knew who had hailed from Chadwell Heath as both did John and myself. There must be some folk out there who can shed a little light on this for me. Please put your thinking caps on and help me in this very long search for an old childhood pal.

Re: John Crowley (Cattawade Link)
Posted by Sue Email User on 26/8/2007, 4:45 pm
Hi, I used to live in Cattawade Link and remember Kathy, Hazel and John Crowley. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you where John is although I do remember him going to South Africa where I understand things went really well for him. I believe Kathy lives in Horndon-on-the-Hill. If I hear anything I will let you know.
Sue

Posted by Glyn Email User on 1/9/2007, 7:28 pm
Many thanks for your reply Sue. You are the first to contact me regarding John. Horndon is not far from me so I might do a little research there to find Kathy. I have found Hazel but she no longer has John's address. Once again, many thanks for your help.

Posted by Sue Email User on 19/9/2007, 5:58 pm
Hi Glyn,
I wish you luck in your search and promise if I hear anything I will let you know. Take care. Sue

Posted by Kirstie Email User on 10/1/2008, 12:14 pm
just recently moved to basildon and my boyfriend is joe crowley who currently lives in basildon and he says that his uncle and grandad has the name of john crowley who now lives in greece. i dont no whether this will help you but i can look more into it if you wish, he may have a number or an address for him x

Posted by Glyn Willshere Email User on 16/1/2008, 12:43 pm
Thank you for the response Kirstie. Yes, I would very much appreciate any information your friend might be able to glean. I do know John had an aunt who lived around the Noak Hill area and may still do so. At present I have no more information.

Many thanks, Glyn

29.  Bungalows in St. Nicholas Church area of Laindon
Posted by Gary Email User on 3/9/2006, 12:10 pm
Has any 1 got any info or pictures of the plotlands and houses near St Nicholas church area? I grew up just after most had dissapeared. sadly i found some home names and odd pics but any info would be good....thanks

Re: Bungalows in St. Nicholas Church area of Laindon
Posted by L. Stutchbury Email User on 1/7/2007, 4:40 pm
I have some photos of a bungalow and shop which my grandparents had off ? Dunton Lane/Road.
Also I remember the Homestead General store which was in Berry Lane. Although there is no picture of the shop but I have one of the adjacent bungalow and home of the Stoneham family in Berry Lane, Langdon Hills.

30.  Bonallack & Sons Coachbuilders
Posted by Steve O Email User on 5/9/2006, 3:20 pm
Hi, anyone who used to work at Bonallacks (later Freight Bonallack) in the 1960`s remember me? We used to build van bodies & ice cream vans. Love to hear from anyone, i am 76 now. Best wishes steve o.

Re: Bonallack & Sons Coachbuilders
Posted by Mike Fruin Email User on 18/10/2006, 6:10 am
My mate's dad worked at Bonallack's in the mid to late 50s, his name was Darling. My mate's name was John.
Mike Fruin
Tasmania

Re: Bonallack & Sons Coachbuilders
Posted by John Cooper Email User on 28/9/2008, 2:00 pm
I worked for Bonallack in the seventies in the drawing office and my father moved to basildon from london with the company and worked their until about 1975. he was known as wally cooper and worked mainly on the specials like fire tenders, outside broadcast vans.

31.  Girls Life Brigade
Posted by Dane Email User on 11/9/2006, 11:49 am
Can anyone tell me about the Girls Life Brigade? My mother lived in Vange from the 1920's until 1939. Sometime in that period she was a member of the G.L.B. I have several cloth achievement badges that she had, but no other information. Was it like the Girl Guides?

Re: Girls Life Brigade
Posted by Margaret Email User on 12/9/2006, 9:25 pm
Yes a bit like Girl Guides, a youth organisation.
Usually attached to a non conformist church. I belonged to the one at the Pitsea Congregational Church (now the site of Pitsea Market car park) in the late 40's and early 50's. I think there is still one attached to the United Reform Church in Honeypot Lane, Basildon. They might know if there also was one in Vange in the 30's.
M.J.

Re: Girls Life Brigade
Posted by Margaret Hickman Email User on 21/9/2006, 10:08 pm
I think I knew you or your sister when I used to go there. Was your maiden name 'WHITE'? I was in a class with Jean White when our teacher was Miss Denton, I have a school photo. Best wishes, Margaret, Canterbury, Kent

32.  Laindon or Langdon Hills in the 1950s
Posted by Irene Sampson Email User on 11/9/2006, 1:21 pm
As a child in the fifties, I used to visit Laindon with my aunt and uncle, who had a holiday chalet in the area. In my uncle's jeep, full of mums and dads and kids, we would come off the main road down a little country lane and reached the chalet by bumping our way up a hill, everyone in fits of laughter, no road or path as far as I remember, but I think there were other chalets. I imagine the chalets have long disappeared but I'm wondering where it was. They said we were in Laindon but as it was a steep hill, perhaps it was Langdon Hills. Can anyone enlighten me? Wherever it was, they were happy days.

Re: Laindon or Langdon Hills in the 1950s
Posted by Gary on 12/9/2006, 2:16 am
could it have been basildon rise hill top road no old chalets now but there's remains of the gardens there. what was your chalet called?

Posted by Memory Man Email User on 12/9/2006, 4:27 pm
This sounds more like the DUNTON PLOTLANDS. Try the links on this site as there are many photographs, which you may reconise. Hope this helps, M M.

Posted by Irene Email User on 12/9/2006, 10:53 am
Thanks, Gary. I never knew the name of the chalet and my uncle and aunt are not around any more, sadly.

Posted by Irene on 16/10/2006, 3:15 pm
Thanks, Memory Man. I've looked at the photos and it looks very familiar. Nice to see there is a visitor's centre. I shall pop in there sometime.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 24/12/2006, 12:21 am
Re this message, I HAVE the book on The Plotlands, so if you have a name, I will look it up for you and see IF they are in it.

33.  Dunton Drive, Laindon
Posted by Claire Rawlinson Email User on 13/9/2006, 7:10 am
Hi,
My Grandfather recently passed away in New Zealand having lived in Dunton Drive from the mid 1940's until his home was compulsory purchased in 1984 - Gordons Gin Factory was built on it! Does anyone remember 'Kama' and 'Malvern'? The Simmonds and Pratt families - there were two children, Marilyn and Geoffrey.

Would love to hear from anyone with any info/stories.
Many thanks
Claire

34.  Orange Line Taxis
Posted by Marvin Pittock on 16/9/2006, 3:04 pm
Does anyone remember orange line taxi`s, they had an office which would be in front of toys r us now? Love to hear from Harry (Pat) Horton. Is he still in u.k, or did he make it big in australia?? Remember when Simon Dee came to open department store in basildon, we had to get him out of town quick followed by hordes of screaming women. all the best Marvin.

Re: Orange Line Taxis
Posted by Pat Horton Email User on 17/9/2006, 9:27 pm
Orange Line was fun while it lasted and would still be going but for one person. Went to Australia but now back in Pitsea, of all places. Bit different to Perth, W.A. How are you associated with Orange Line? Regards Pat.

Posted by Marvin Pittock on 18/9/2006, 3:24 pm
Well G`day Pat, nice to hear you're still in old blighty. Out here in sunny cyprus, spending my pile. My connection? (ANAGRAM) work it out mate. Marv.

Posted by Yardley Girls on 26/9/2006, 4:05 pm
We used to use this firm to take us to and from Yardleys in the 1970's. Early starts & lots of lovely overtime. Always smelt nice working there. L.O.L. Pat, all the crowd.

Posted by Yemoot Garett on 29/9/2006, 5:42 pm
We own a scrapyard in dorset & have a vauxhall victor transcontinetal in storage. It is white, registered in basildon, essex. It has the letters O.L.T on rear wing after an orange stripe which goes all the way along side. It is in fair nick & has been in our shed for 20 years now. Could this be one of your old cabs???

Posted by Pat Horton Email User on 10/10/2006, 10:21 pm
Hello..Yes, this is one of our old Taxis. We operated 18 between 1970 and 1972. Good to know one remains..is it for sale??

Posted by Yemoot Garret on 11/10/2006, 11:23 am
Hi, yes it was for sale but was sold on e-bay to a man from laindon (which i think is in basildon) last tuesday. He came with a lorry & took it away. He said he used to drive for this company years ago, if its any help his name was terry osbourne from gardiners lane. Hope this helps, regards yemoot.

Posted by Melissa Horton Email User on 17/11/2007, 12:02 pm
Hello Pat: I was first of all wondering if your taxi firm was running in early 1974 and if a terry or michael cleland worked as a taxi driver for your firm? It would be greatly appreciated if you could let me know either way, as I am investigating my aunt's disappearance and I believe one suspect used to drive taxis in the Basildon area...no idea which firm though. Many thanks in advance. Melissa Horton

Posted by Valerie Wilson Email User on 29/3/2008, 1:39 pm
I used orange line when the best taxi in the world was busy of course that was dear old dad... However i had many great days in yardley both on the belts and upstairs in eye shawdow and things like bottles of cougar i cages for men... valerie

35.  Mobile tuck shops
Posted by M. Wallis Email User on 16/9/2006, 4:19 pm
Hi,just returned from new zealand, cant believe the old place has changed so much. What happened to the tuck shops that used to come round three times a day? All you get now is an old van selling some white stuff thats got no taste, what happened to that loveley yellow cornish ice cream? Laindon is certainly a culture shock as all the fields have gone, and Parkinsons has shut!! 25 years away from here, but i`m glad to be home again.

Re: Mobile tuck shops
Posted by Paul Le-Vere on 25/9/2006, 1:33 pm
Oh yes real yellow cornish ice cream. Had one last week in penzance, topped with clotted cream. Why can`t vans sell this anymore?

Posted by Stuart Meads on 29/9/2006, 3:03 pm
I well remember the tuck shops that used to come round. They were i think blue & white, very old vans but they carried most sweets, cigarettes, aspirins, soft drinks in glass bottles by r. whites. Our van used to come round 2 or 3 times a day at set times. Yes that lovely yellow ice cream, you dont get that anymore, happy days.

Posted by Julie on 18/10/2006, 1:33 pm
I used to work on one of these vans in the 1980's. We would start at 8.30 in the morning and be lucky if we finished by 11 at night. I don't remember cornish ice cream being sold, we used to cut off a small block of vanilla ice cream. It's true that we sold most items with 5p & 10p mix-ups flying out the window at every stop. If we were early we had to wait to get to the next stop at the precise time, (one customer set his watch by us). We used to do all of pitsea (Tyefields, Chalvedon, Kenneth Road Estate, at least twice a day). Long hours & very low pay looking back, could not do it now.

36.  Railway Hotel, Pitsea
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 21/9/2006, 10:34 am
i am hearing some nasty rumours here in adelaide south australia that the railway hotel pitsea is up for demolition, "please tell me it isnt so". what with the razing of the double six etc etc etc, it seems like all the decent hotels of my misspent youth have gone--life can be so cruel.--regards dave o.

Re: Railway Hotel, Pitsea
Posted by Alf Keeble Email User on 8/10/2006, 7:50 pm
Went past the railway hotel today 8/10/06, a real
sorry state, no way can i see it being used as a
pub again, basildon council appear to want to concrete over everything, had many happy hours in there in my youth early 60s

Posted by Mike Fruin Email User on 18/10/2006, 6:04 am
I used to drink in the Railway in the mid 1950s. They held a dance upstairs on a Saturday night.
Cockle and whelk stall outside. The charabancs from London to Southend would call in and we would get a free ride (and a snog!) to Southend and back.
Did the double six replace the jolly friar in Whitmore way?
Mike Fruin
Tasmania

Posted by Memory Man on 20/10/2006, 1:51 pm
DOUBLE SIX LONG GONE, JOLLY FRIAR STILL GOING WELL. RAILWAY HOTEL TO BECOME NIGHTCLUB. SEE BASILDON ECHO WEBSTE FOR DETAILS OF WHAT WILL BECOME OF PITSEA CENTRE.

Posted by Sue Email User on 16/8/2007, 9:33 pm
The Fortune of War and The Cricketers is no longer here either

37.  Research
Posted by Sandy Email User on 26/9/2006, 6:05 pm
I've been doing some pedigree research on my spaniel, and came up with a name from this area and wondered if anyone could help? She was called "popular lady of pitsea" her sire was called "stationhouse sam" and her dam was "julies our joy." I don't have exact dates but i'm rekoning the 1970's. It's a strange question i know but any help would be appreciated.

Re: Research
Posted by Andrea Mason Email User on 2/10/2006, 9:04 pm
Hi there.
i am an artist doing a project in Basildon. I am creating a publication about the area. I would be interested to know what responses you get to your post. Would you keep me updated?
Thank you

Posted by Geoff Email User on 16/10/2006, 4:01 pm
Hi is your spaniel a gun dog? I ask because one of my wife's cousins used to breed and train gun dogs when we lived in Pitsea. I recall his dogs were much sought after as working dogs at the time. This would be mid seventies when we lived there so I expect a lot of dog generations have passed by since then, but you never know.
Regards

Posted by Sandy Email User on 20/10/2006, 7:02 pm
Geoff, thanks. Yes he is a gundog and i'm pretty well through completing ten generations on the family tree. I will give you what i have so far on the line i'm looking for.
Popular lady of Pitsea.---sire: Stationhouse Sam.--dam:Julies our joy..
Stationhouse Sam.---sire almony likely lad.--dam:Jeune dyfed.
Julies our joy.--sire:Amos-y-bont.--dam:Madam Decoy.

Please if you can find any info on any of these, it would be much appreciated.
Best regards, Sandy.

38.  Vacationing in Basildon
Posted by Charles Allen Email User on 28/9/2006, 1:07 pm
I'm making a trip to Basildon from the U.S. near the beginning of October. Does anyone know of any special events or sites I can see as this will be my first of many vacations to England and Scotland? I would really like to get a taste of life in Essex. Thank you so much.

Re: Vacationing in Basildon
Posted by Andrea Mason Email User on 2/10/2006, 9:16 pm
Hi There
I am an artist soon to start a project in the Basildon area. I hope to make a publication, a sort of Rough Guide to Basildon. Can you tell me why you have chosen Basildon as a destination? Would you also let me know how you got on there?
Thanks

39.  Search for relatives
Posted by Lawrence H. Pullen Email User on 2/10/2006, 7:19 pm
I am searching for any information relating to Elizabeth King. Her address in 1985 was 85 Helmores Court, Durham Road, Laindon. I wrote to that address 2 years ago enclosing a self-addressed stamped envelope but did not receive a reply. Because of her age, it is likely that she would be deceased. In addition to my e-mail address I may be contacted at 24301 Kakae Drive, Damascus, MD 20872-2111 USA Tel 301-253-4936 Thank you. Lawrence H. Pullen

Re: Search for relatives
Posted by Patrick Horton Email User on 10/10/2006, 10:32 pm
Hello Lawrence, Helmores Court is still in existence and will check with Basildon Council for the whereabouts of Elizabeth King. Will contact you again. Pat Horton

Re: Search for relatives
Posted by Lawrence H. Pullen Email User on 27/12/2006, 5:03 pm
Thank you Patrick. I am looking forward to your response. Also, I have been in communication with Dawn Knox at the St. Nicholas Church where I think that Betty King's daughter may have been married in the summer of 1956. Lawrence H. Pullen

40.  Whife and Sloper dairies and Firmans dairy
Posted by Yemoot Garret on 3/10/2006, 11:36 am
Does anyone know if these two milk delivery firms still exist in basildon?

Re: Whife and Sloper dairies and Firmans dairy
Posted by Memory Man on 21/10/2006, 3:38 pm
AFRAID BOTH THESE FIRMS NO LONGER EXIST. FIRMANS WAS SOLD IN THE 70'S, AND WHIFE & SLOPER A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO.

Posted by Martin Twelftree Email User on 5/2/2007, 9:15 pm
Firmans dairies was sold to whife and slopers dairies about 1980, and whife and sloper was sold to dairy crest about 2004.

Posted by Kevin Green Email User on 19/2/2008, 9:56 pm
Remember both myself and my brother helping the milkman on weekend delivering to the Laindon "siporex" estate..............the dairy has gone now, they have built flats on the site now!! progress I suppose?

Posted by Steve Williams Email User on 13/11/2008, 1:18 am
I worked there for Whife & Sloper for nearly 3 years leaving in the early 90's.

My round was (10) which wasn't so much milk delivery as debt collection!

I did Laindon Link, Siporex, part of Markhams Chase, Somercotes etc. My round was so dire we had shutters fitted to the float. I was attacked more times than I care to remember.

My Saturday boys were underpaid and overworked but I valued each of them, even the ones who I was convinced stole from me as I'd never have got it done sometimes without them.

Had the round paid me a reasonable living wage I would have paid more. I got basic wage plus peanuts in commission because of all the debts that had been allowed to build up way before my time.

Posted by John C Ward Email User on 24/11/2008, 10:23 am
Here are a few parallel memories which were connected in the early 1980's.
The farmer Firman (off Lee Chapel Lane) often delivered the milk personally by horse (actually a pony, named, Molly) and cart. During the Apple fruiting season Molly would refuse to pass our house without being fed apples.
My cousins Irene and Joyce were staying with us during the 40's & early 50's (due to London bomb damage). Irene worked at the Laindon Co.Op where a butcher's boy called Tom also worked. Much later when I had married and had my own house in Shakespeare Avenue, Tom was our milkman delivering for Whife and Sloper. I passed on a complaint to him from my mother about some sausages delivered in the early 50's which were 'all fat'. Tom retired soon after and Molly died many years ago.

41.  Milton bus service
Posted by Alf Keeble Email User on 14/10/2006, 7:16 pm
I would like any information on Milton Bus service owner Reg Gilbert in Pitsea in the 1950/60s many thanks

Re: Milton bus service
Posted by Memory Man on 20/10/2006, 1:11 pm
INFORMATION I HAVE: R. H. GILBERT OF LONDON ROAD, FOBBING WAS TRADING AS MILTON BUS SERVICE WHO BY 1932 WAS RUNNING FROM STANFORD LE HOPE, CORRINGHAM TO PITSEA & NORTH BENFLEET. IN 1935 SERVICE WAS CUT BACK TO START FROM FIVE BELLS EXCEPT ON SUNDAYS 1 JOURNEY FROM S.L.H. NEXT ALTERED TO START FROM FOBBING AND EXTENDED FROM NORTH BENFLEET TO WICKFORD, PREVIOUSLY OPERATED BY KERSHAW. MILTON BUS SERVICE HAD ITS LICENCE CANCELLED IN 1937 AFTER RUNNING IRREGULARLY. THE ROUTE PASSED TO CAMPBELL'S AND BECAME ROUTE NO 9. CAMPBELL'S LATER SPLIT THE ROUTE IN TWO (CORRINGHAM - PITSEA STATION & PITSEA STATION - WICKFORD VIA NORTH BENFLEET.) ROUTE 10 WAS PITSEA STATION - HARROWS INN (DICK TURPIN). HOPE THIS HELPS ALF.

Re: Milton Bus Service
Posted by Alf Email User on 20/10/2006, 4:56 pm
Many thanks memory man, that has helped me a great deal. ALF.

42.  Relatives in Laindon
Posted by Kevin Morris Email User on 16/10/2006, 8:51 pm
Please can anyone remember the Bean family in Laindon?

43.  Basildon's Astrodome
Posted by Memory Man on 3/11/2006, 2:25 pm
JUST FOUND OLD BASILDON COUNCIL DISTRICT GUIDE OF 1986, WHICH SHOWS A MULTI MILLION POUND DEVELOPMENT BY BRENT-WALKER OF AN ASTRODOME. THIS WAS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE MILLENIUM DOME AT GREENWICH BUT TEN YEARS EARLIER. THIS WAS GOING TO BE BUILT WHERE THE FESTIVAL LEISURE PARK IS NOW. DOES ANYBODY REMEMBER THIS AND WHY IT WAS NOT BUILT??

44.  Pitsea War Memorial
Posted by Derek Email User on 18/11/2006, 5:05 pm
Hello, I walked past the memorial today for the first time and wondered where the Blue House mentioned on it was. Also did the statue originally have a gas flame from it's torch perhaps? Del

Re: Pitsea War Memorial
Posted by Barry Cartwright Email User on 28/2/2007, 4:50 pm
Hi Derek I believe that the war memorial was in the middle of the road at the corner of London road and Rectory road, and I think the Blue House you mentioned was where Blue House Farm shops are now, but I could be wrong.

Posted by Margaret Hofman Email User on 22/7/2007, 11:31 pm
The war memorial was originally sited at the junction of Station Road, not Rectory Road. I believe it used to have a gas light in the torch but this had not been used for years.

Posted by Trotter Email User on 29/1/2008, 9:42 pm
It was outside the railway tavern at first
take a look
https://www.francisfrith.co.uk/search/england/essex/pitsea/photos/pitsea_P145043.htm

45.  The Winston Social Club
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 1/12/2006, 7:11 pm
I am appalled to read that some developer wants to rip down yet another part of the 'Old' Laindon and the Winston Club in order to build more flats and/or houses. There is Far too much of the Old town already gone and with this landmark gone, there will be very little left to remind us of days gone by.
I was born in Tyler Avenue (house long gone) as some on here know, but only ever went in there once or twice when young, but moved away before I attained the age of 18.
Laindon lost the 'Laindon Hotel' first, then the 'Fortune of War' and that has since had housing built on the site, so why the 'Winston' when others are willing to take over the running?

Re: The Winston Social Club
Posted by Ray Stroud Email User on 10/12/2007, 5:47 pm
When I stayed with my Nan in Laindon in the early sixties she used to take me to the Winston.

I remember the local characters including Fred the retired postman who showed me the pig's trotters and half a pig's head he'd bought from the butchers.

There was a jukebox where I listened to Runaway and Telstar at 3d a go. Apart from the station, it's all that remains of the old town I remember.

Editor: The website link with this entry no longer resolves.
(https://www.raystroud.com)

Posted by Kevin Green Email User on 18/12/2007, 8:55 pm
I am a member of the Winston club, have been for the last 20 years. The club has been sold to developers, but we've been fighting to stay open for the last two years. The club exists on a 6 month rolling contract, we are open until at least March 2008. Too many houses being built around the club and the station.

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 23/12/2007, 12:51 pm
I am Kevin Green's father and I can remember playing pool in the local league at the Winston Club in the 1970's. I was also a postman at the Laindon Post Office opposite the then Laindon Hotel. Everything about old Laindon is disappearing, in the name of housing & developement. It used to be a pleasure living in the area but it's all been ruined in the quest for modernisation. All we are left with now are dreams of happy days gone by.

46.  Topsy Saye
Posted by Ark Email User on 10/12/2006, 4:57 pm
I have no idea if this is the correct spelling for this ladies name, and you have to be over 60 to remember her. we lived in a bungalow called Terenceville The Avenue Pitsea. behind the back gate of Pitsea infants school was an unmade road, can't remember the name of it, this ran to a path, one way went to Northlands Drive the other way to the railway bridge in Timberlog lane. also there was a small grocery shop at the corner of this path. if you turned left on this path, towards Timberlog lane the first road you came to was The Avenue. our bungalow was on the right, Topsy Say's on the left. she used to frighten the lives out of me and my brother John. the house she used to live in was a real wreck, no roof or windows and she wore a real witches looking hat and a long black cape. one day when she was poorly my mum, who was concerned as she had'nt been seen for some time, went into her place and later told us there were loaves of bread hanging on nails on the wall. a very strange person indeed. anyway i would be interested to know if any one remembers her or what happened to Topsy?

Re: Topsy Saye
Posted by Margaret Jackson Email User on 10/12/2006, 7:49 pm
I lived in Stanley Road and remember the 'back path' as we called it. - a little bit remains today. I remember Topsy but have no idea what happened to her. She must have been at least middle aged in the 40's and 50's. I guess she was complusory purchased like the rest of us and had to move. The road behind Pitsea School was called Marguerite Drive I think. We used to walk along the path to school and I remember the ditches which ran alongside full of frozen water for months in the winter of 1946. When were you at Pitsea School I was there 1942 - 1948 and my sister Jean 1945 - 1950? Did you know my cousins Alan and Peter Turner? My maiden name was White.

47.  Saturdays in Pitsea in the 1960s
Posted by M.M on 13/12/2006, 11:11 am
SATURDAY MORNING PICTURES! ONE WOULD PAY TO ENTER (3d), WAIT TILL FIRST FILM HAD STARTED THEN OPEN BOTTOM FIRE EXIT DOOR TO LET ALL YOUR MATES IN. THEY GAVE YOU A PENNY EACH, WHICH AFTER THE FILM A QUICK TRIP ROUND THE CORNER TO 'JAMES' THE BAKERS WOULD BUY A BAG OF BROKEN BISCUITS FOR 3d OR IF YOU WERE FLUSH A BAG OF BROKEN WAFERS FOR 6d A POUND IN WEIGHT. THEY ALSO SHUT EARLY ON SATURDAYS SO CAKES WERE SOLD OFF CHEAP AFTER 12. THEN YOU COULD LOOK AROUND THE MARKET PLACE FOR DROPPED COINS, WE FOUND A TEN BOB NOTE ONCE IN THE BUSHES BY THE OLD TOILETS. RAY WARRS CHIP SHOP FOR A FREE BAG OF CRACKLIN' (BATTER PIECES) FULL OF GREASE. THEN OFF TO HOWARDS PARK TO PLAY. Tonibell ICE CREAM VAN USED TO CALL IN & A 3d CORNET WAS HUGE IN THOSE DAYS. ON THE WAY HOME PAST PAPWORTHS GREENGROCERS, CHECK IF HE HAD ANY FREE FRUIT FOR US (BRUISED), THEN HOME FOR TEA (BREAD & JAM OR DRIPPING ON TOAST). AFTER TEA OVER TO THE WILLOW POND TO CATCH SOME TIDDLERS OR NEWTS. HAPPY DAYS.

Re: Saturdays in Pitsea in the 1960s
Posted by Ark on 13/12/2006, 11:37 pm
DO YOU REMEMBER JACK, HE WAS THE USHER ON THE DOOR OF THE CINEMA, CAN'T REMEMBER WHEN HE LEFT
MAY HAVE BEEN BEFORE YOUR TIME, ALSO HAVE MEMORIES OF SWEET SHOP NAMED ISSAC BREGGS, RUN BY A JEWISH MAN SITUATED BY THE RAILWAY BRIDGE ALONG PARADE OF SHOPS HICKLEYS ON CORNER, WE GOT RECHARGED BATTERIES FOR OUR VALVE RADIO'S THERE. HAPPY DAYS INDEED. M.M.

Posted by M.M on 14/12/2006, 11:12 am
I DO REMEMBER THE TUCK SHOP BY THE RAILWAY BRIDGE. WE USED TO STAY ON THE BUS FOR ONE MORE STOP ON THE WAY TO PITSEA SCHOOL TO GET SWEETS IN THE MORNING. KNIBBS NURSERY WHERE SOUTH MAYNE NOW IS, ROMANY GYPSIES WHERE TESCO IS NOW, NORTONS FURNITURE DEPOSITRY ON CORNER OF RECTORY RD & HIGH RD, BRITISH LEGION HALL WHERE MARKET CAR PARK IS NOW (WE USED TO GET R.WHITES LEMONADE BOTTLES FROM BEHIND HALL & GET 3d DEPOSIT BACK AT MANY SHOPS IN PITSEA). CHURCHILL & JOHNSONS BUILDERS MERCHANTS, CHOCOLATE BOX, WAGERS DAIRY, FAIR TWICE A YEAR WHERE LIDL IS NOW. MENCE SMITH ON CORNER OF STATION LANE, PORTERS THE BARBER, GOWERS SWEET SHOP, BATA SHOES & THAT LITTLE CAFE. CAMPBELLS BUSES WHERE YOU SHARED A SEAT WITH CHICKENS, GOATS OR A PILE OF SAND. THEIR OLD DEPOT IS STILL STANDING UP BY THE STATION. JOHN SKRINER DEMOLITION MEN GIVING US TWO BOB EACH TO BURN OLD ROUGHCAST BUNGALOWS TO THE GROUND, SO ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS KNOCK DOWN THE CHIMNEY STACK. THE TOOLS PEOPLE LEFT BEHIND IN THEM OLD SHEDS WHEN THEY WERE COMPULSURY PURCHASED, STILL HAVE A SET OF WOOD BLOCK PLANES. SUMMERS LASTED FOREVER, HAPPY DAYS, I SHOULD SAY.

Posted by Rick Email User on 20/2/2007, 7:54 pm
I remember saturday morning pictures, and singing... we are the boys and girls from miner, we are the A B C, and singing chiko-baka-waka gonna make de rain, ya gotto have been there in the seventees to remember that one. i remember the market domes in pitsea, and walking up to the play school at the A13 end of rectory road pitsea. we used to go newting and catch ladybirds where the chalvedon estate is now, when it used to be all forest. i came from north london when i was a kid and i remember my nan thinking that we lived by the sea cos of the name pitsea. my dad was a bus driver in edmonton bus garage and was told that if he did the run up to the new town of basildon for six weeks, that he would be offered a new house within six weeks. we moved here from a block of flats we lived in, in bermondsy south london, my mum hated being south of the water, so basildon was perfect (well to her it was still north of the water)

Posted by Ex Fairhouse Email User on 7/4/2008, 10:08 pm
Remember them well. we lived in kirby rd and used to walk thru pitsea alley (it ran from timberlog lane to pitsea). Jack the doorman at the century, he seemed so tall. I saw him shortly before the century turned to bingo and he didnt look any different! I remember my sister winning a hoopla competion there in the interval, she won sweets and a metal ruler!!

After the saturday morning pics, we were all cowboys or batman! and off we would go to the market, before domes when it was all under canvas and downhill!
so many fun times.
this is a great site for stirring the brain!!

48.  The Laindon School reunion
Posted by Carly Email User on 14/12/2006, 10:08 pm
Did anyone attend 'The Laindon School', leaving between 1994-1998? If so, are you interested in attending a reunion in May/June 2007? It'll be held on the Festival Leisure Park (venue still to be decided). For further info, please log onto the website (www.laindonschoolreunion.webeden.co.uk) or contact me direct on my e-mail address (Carly121179@aol.com).

49.  Sad loss of Dave Clark Five member
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 19/12/2006, 11:55 am
I do apologise if this is in the wrong section, but to all those who went to see the Dave Clark Five at Basildon Locarno back in the 60's. I have learnt today that Saxaphonist Denis Payton has sadly Passed to Spirit as I know it at the age of 63, with the dreaded Big C.

Re: Sad loss of Dave Clark Five member
Posted by Stanley Dudley Email User on 2/7/2007, 1:09 pm
Thanks, I worked at the Mecca dance hall during the 1960's and remember Dave and his crew very well. Sorry to hear this sad news.

50.  Merry Christmas
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 21/12/2006, 8:27 am
Just a few lines to wish all those involved in this website and especially all those who post here who bring back to me many happy memories of basildon in the sixties etc a very merry christmas and a happy new year---regards dave oakley.

Re: Merry Christmas
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 21/12/2006, 5:41 pm
I too would like to add my Good Wishes to all who read these columns.
I also wish to Thank our Webmaster who without, I might never have been able to contribute to the book by Jim Reeve and rightly called 'Memories of Basildon' that was released this year.
Thank You to Jim for putting it together and also everybody else who so kindly contributed to it, in order for me to thoroughly enjoy.

Re: Merry Christmas
Posted by Sharon Email User on 6/1/2007, 1:17 am
Just wanted to say hello to everyone on this board. I hope you all have a wonderful New Year !
I enjoyed watching the video from Britishpathe.com. My dad worked at Carreras for over 20 years. (Bernard Jackson)

Click here for January - June 2006 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2011
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM