blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2010 Forum Threads - January to June

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2010 entries
Click here for July - December entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

01) Bowers Gifford - 10 replies.
02) Claydon
03) My grandad Edgar Willis of Laindon - 5 replies.
04) Do you remember my mum Eileen?
05) Bob Hayes - 2 replies.
06) Memories of the bikers
07) Basildon District Museum - 7 replies.
08) Who remembers Mrs Bell, teacher at Bluehouse Infant School
09) Prefabs in Pitsea - 8 replies.
10) Honeypot Lane - 10 replies.
11) Prefabs in Laindon - 2 replies.
12) Billy Foyle - 10 replies.
13) Pat Birch of Bracken Mount, Laindon - 5 replies.
14) Talk on the history of Laindon - 3 replies.
15) My Brother's mates
16) Basildon fair 1960s - 1 reply.
17) The Pearman family - 9 replies.
18) The Railway Hotel, Pitsea - 16 replies.
19) Drowning at Vange
20) Laindon Hotel - 5 replies.
21) Vange Swimming Pool
22) Basildon Youth Association - 3 replies.
23) Holy Cross Church - 1 reply.
24) Bonallack Coachbuilders - 12 replies.
25) Seeking old friends in North Benfleet area
26) Pitsea prefabs & Nurse Holland - 13 replies.
27) Dicky Birds Ice Cream - 9 replies.
28) Papworths Mobile Shop - 1 reply.
29) Vange/Pitsea Carnival 1930 - 2 replies.
30) McKenna's in Vange 1932
31) Lucas depot in Bentalls, Basildon
32) Craylands secondary school - 6 replies.
33) Family Edwards of High Road, Vange - 4 replies.
34) Pitsea People Power - 2 replies.
35) Wendy Darke & Pat Card - 6 replies.
36) Ernie from Pitsea
37) Markhams Chase School - 6 replies.
38) Plotlands - 2 replies.
blank.gif
1.  Bowers Gifford
Posted by Mccvicar Email User on 6/1/2010, 10:23 pm
Can anyone tell me if Bowers Gifford Rectory still stands, and if so whereabouts in bowers gifford?

Re: Bowers Gifford
Posted by john wernham Email User on 7/1/2010, 1:20 pm
Bowers Gifford rectory stood behind St. Margaret's C of E School. It was reached by a driveway that ran along the side of the School. I believe the building still stands and is next to the Basildon and District Crematorium in Church Road. When the new A13 bypass was built it cut right through this driveway. An extension road had to be built parallel to the bypass, to connect to the Rectory and Church Road.

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 14/3/2010, 11:49 am
Bowers Gifford Church stands along side the railway. In the church yard you will find the family grave of the Howard's. They were responsible for building most of Pitsea in the 1930s. All the mock Tudor buildings, the Railway hotel and the Cinema to mention a few.

Posted by Jo Cullen Email User on 26/3/2010, 7:02 pm
I was out taking photos last week and took a photo of the rectory. It is a very impressive building. Jo

Posted by Val Email User on 25/11/2012, 2:58 pm
I lived in Pound Lane (number 4 now probably) just off the A13 from 1956 (when I went to St. Margaret's) until 1968.

I remember the smithy, etc, but our telephone number was North Benfleet 263!

Went to the rectory on many occasions and it had a swimming pool. Father Mansfield was the village vicar and a Mr Sweet was the headmaster of St. Margaret's.

Posted by John Wernham Email User on 26/11/2012, 3:35 am
Hi Val.
Yes your phone number would have been the same as mine in 1956. We moved to Devon for a short time in 1955 and my Father had the phone disconnected. So the GPO would have given you our old number. We moved back to Pound Lane and continued living there until 1960. You might have known my sister Hazel, as she went to St. Margarets from 1958 to 1960.
Kind regards. John.

Posted by Val Email User on 26/11/2012, 4:54 am
Hi John

Thanks for your reply. I thought I was having (another!) senior moment regarding the phone number. I was 7 when I started at St. Margaret's in 1956, but can't remember a lot of the names except for the teachers.

It brings back a lot of memories especially since my parents died in the 1960's so I left Bowers Gifford in 1968 and haven't been back. I have seen our old bungalow on Google though - it was the second one down in Pound Lane. I'm surpised it's still there!

Kind regards, Val

Posted by John Wernham Email User on 26/11/2012, 6:21 am
Hi Val.
Thank you for your reply. I've looked up your home in Pound Lane, and I am sure that was where Derek English lived. I went to King John school with Derek in 1958/59 are you related? I might of course have the wrong house, also did you know the Dove family, who lived on the corner of Bowers Court Drive? I also went to school with Clive Dove, who as a young child fell into a fire and the shock of this made him lose all his hair.
Kind regards, John

Posted by Val Email User on 26/11/2012, 10:14 am
Hi John

Yes we knew all the English's and I remember Derek although I was a few years younger than him. They lived next door but one from us which must have been the fourth bungalow down from the A13. Derek also had a sister (Angela?). I think they eventually moved to run a post office/shop somewhere quite rural.

I think all the bungalows were built by the same building company, well just one man, around 1956. After we moved in they started to build the one on the corner.

I think I remember Clive as well - unfortunately only for his baldness.

Do you remember Alan Sparks and his family? He played the accordian and his father (naturally) was an electrician!

Kind regards
Val

Posted by John Wernham Email User on 26/11/2012, 1:49 pm
Hi Val.
Yes I remember Alan, his father used to drive a big red American convertible car, he lived just past the Pound Lane post office on the right looking towards North Benfleet, in what we called 'the big houses' ie two storey'. Back then the post office was run by a Mrs Huckleberry.

I believe the builder that built the house next to you was a Mr Barber who lived in Clifton Road. He was a local builder who built quite a few property's in Pound Lane. He had a son called Alan, who was younger than me so you might have known him.
Clive Dove was the only boy in school that was allowed to smoke. All the teachers took pity on him because of his baldness, and turned a blind eye! Which I think was good of them back then.
Do you know Dilys Peat? She is my cousin an I think she is about your age? Dilys lived next to me in Pound Lane, and was born in 1949. Also Maureen Knight who worked in the Post Office and was the same age as me? I do not know which school you went to after St. Margaret's as there seems to be a 4/5 year gap between our ages. If you went to Craylands School in Basildon or King John School in Thundersley, this all depended on which side of Pound Lane you lived in. As Derek and Clive and me lived the same side of Pound Lane as you, I presumed you went to King John. Unless of course you won a scholarship to another school!
Anyway, all this brings back happy memories, of our younger days. Days that sadly we cannot return to, only in our dreams. Please keep in touch. Regards John.

Posted by Val Email User on 26/11/2012, 2:53 pm
Hi John

I remember getting a lift in that car! I also remember that they said the woman running the post office used to be a Tiller girl, but not sure if that's correct.

What I do remember is Mrs Govey's the shop that sold everything with the butchers opposite. My mum used to spend hours in her shop so knew all the local gossip.

I don't remember Dilys although I'm the same age as her. I remember a Gillian Penfold and her brother Peter Gladwell and two brothers with the surname Barham. Also Sandra Hope who lived in a road opposite the Gun pub.

I'm afraid I did pass the 11-plus and got sent to Southend High School for Girls on my own. I did miss my friends and hated it as I wanted to go to secondary school with them.

A long time ago! I can't believe how much has gone on since then. Life was so different then, but I still class myself as an Essex girl even though I live in Surrey. I hope all is well with you.

Kind regards, Val

2.  Claydon
Posted by Gail Stevens Email User on 7/1/2010, 3:29 pm
Hello,
Is there anyone out there who remembers Fred and Rose Claydon? They lived in Langdon Hills around 1945 (my Dad's family moved into their cottage in 1945, their last name is Stevens). Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Gail

3.  My grandad Edgar Willis of Laindon
Posted by Julie Ann Joyce Email User on 10/1/2010, 2:01 pm
hi my grandad willis Mr EDGAR ALBERT WILLIS was one of the few people who cycled up crown hill langdon hills backwards which was no mean feat i gather, he then was given coins in his cap for doing so. i never met him as he they lived in hilderford, laindon, essex, a family of 12 children to mrs minnie willis now sadly deceased and mr Edgar Albert Willis who sadly died in 1943 after pneumonia, just a few months before my mum eileen was born.
i heard a rumour that grandads feat of cycling was in a local newspaper. if it is ive never been able to find a copy of it sadly. grandad was a local builder who made the steps to the local cinema or flea house as my mum calls it lol
he was affectionately known as BUTCH.
i was wondering if anyone anywhere had the odd photo or anything of my grandad and if anyone knew of him or has memories. i understand that some people will be gone sadly now, but maybe there might be someone still alive who remembers him, he was pictured in a basildon book which we have still.
miss julie ann joyce

Re: My grandad Edgar Willis of Laindon
Posted by Denise Email User on 17/4/2010, 7:13 pm
I have two photos of the cinema being built (by the Haydens) if you are interested.

Posted by John Constable on 21/4/2010, 10:37 pm
Hi Julie,

I am very interested in the name of Willis as I am sure I am related to a Willis who lived in Laindon in the 1926's as I have been searching the family many many years.

Would Edgar Albert WILLIS have contacts from West Ham if so I would be more than interested particularly as he was also in the building industry?

Regards John Constable

Posted by john Constable on 6/5/2010, 1:43 pm
Hi Denise,

I am interested re the pics of the cinema being built as my grandmother and mother lived opposite the cinema in 1926 and I have been searching for pics of "Avondale" opposite.

Perhaps there just might be in the background or does anyone have further info.

Regards John

Posted by Denise Email User on 6/5/2010, 11:15 pm
The photos are "full frontal", taken from the other side of the road so show no houses - sorry.

Posted by Cathy Email User on 25/4/2012, 10:19 am
I have a photo of two gentlemen taken circa 1950 - 1960, and on the back, the photographer's name is stamped: Cyril Jones 3, Broadway Chambers, Pitsea Broadway, Basildon

Would anyone be interested in helping me to identify these men? (Possibly one may be a family member - Willis).
Thank you.

4.  Do you remember my mum Eileen?
Posted by Julie Ann Joyce Email User on 10/1/2010, 2:06 pm
Hi, my mums name is Eileen Mavis Joyce, but her maiden name was WILLIS. She was born in 1943 so would have started school at the laindon high road school about 1948 at a guess. anyone remember her at all? She lived in hilderford with her mum minnie and 11 siblings, although 2 babies died in infancy so that was 9 siblings.

5.  Bob Hayes
Posted by Steve Email User on 11/1/2010, 3:32 pm
I came across this web site by accident and was facinated by all the memories especially a bit in 2006 about Bob Hayes. I was a bit of a biker back in the mid 70's and early 80's and Bob was well known to us bikers not least because if anyone wanted a second hand bit for their AJS or BSA they knew where to go looking and remember to take a shovel. I recall the story goes that Bob was a respectable middle class professional city worker (maybe an accountant?) who lived an ordinary life until his son was killed in a motorcycle accident. Then perhaps as a result of this he started buying up motorcycles and burying them in the land behind the place where he lived which was not much more than a wooden shed by the railway crossing on the A13. He was a very quiet person who rarely spoke and my first impression of him was that he was a vagrant. I also recall that when he passed away in fact rather than being a penniless vagrant, he had a fortune in the bank.
Anyway facinating web pages. I moved away in the late 80's and do come back now and again to see my family. I loved the place especially the plotlands, but honestly I would never move back now.

Re: Bob Hayes
Posted by memory man Email User on 20/1/2010, 3:24 pm
Would this be the same gentleman known around vange as "DELUXE BROWN"? He also broke bikes and buried them in various locations including the plotlands off pound lane, bowers gifford.

Re: Bob Hayes
Posted by Steve Email User on 25/1/2010, 1:39 pm
Honestly, I have no idea if this was the same man. Having said that, how many blokes could there have been in the 70's going around buying motorcycles and then burying them? So it could have been although there doesn't seem to be any obvious connection with this other AKA.

6.  Memories of the bikers
Posted by Steve Email User on 17/1/2010, 10:06 pm
good times....in the 70's, every wednesday night meeting up at the fortune of war then riding out to the wake arms pub in epping forest. and Easter weekend camping at Santa Pod for the transatlantic races. Every sunday morning street drag racing down the coryton road.

bad times....dear friend Ronny riding pillion with Colin taken from us by a stupid jag driver on the arterial road, leaving his mates, his family and his girlfriend, Leslie. Things never the same after that.

7.  Basildon District Museum
Posted by Sue Randle on 22/1/2010, 1:30 pm
Basildon District Museum is now open in the Discovery Centre at Barleylands.

We are shortly arranging an exhibition of the First World War and would appriciate any artefacts, the public would like to see exhibited from this period.

So if you have any and you would like to get in touch please ring 01268 ****** or email ***********@***.***

Re: Basildon District Museum
Posted by Sue Randle on 22/1/2010, 1:33 pm
I didn't mention that Basildon District Museum is run by volunteers and has nothing to do with Basildon Council. Barleylands offered us space and we gratefully took them up on it.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 25/1/2010, 5:08 pm
GOOD LUCK with this project.

Posted by Susan Randle on 26/1/2010, 10:29 am
Thank you for your message of good luck. At the moment we have a photographic display of the beginnings of the Town. Soon we are changing to an exhibition of the First World War. We hope to get some artefacts from the people of the district. Hope you can come along to see it. Sue

Posted by Mccvicar Email User on 27/1/2010, 4:46 pm
Is the Museum open at weekends?

Posted by Susan Randle on 28/1/2010, 7:20 pm
Basildon District Museum is open on Saturdays and manned from 10am until about 2pm. It is open on Sundays but we are not there because we do not have enough manpower, you can still see the photographic exhibition.

Posted by Marie Gibson Email User on 6/3/2010, 1:53 pm
Susan. I work at Basildon Library at the weekends and have been 'given' the Local History section to look after. I am really interested in contacting you with regard to spreading the word about Basildon and the history associated to it.

Posted by Sue Randle on 8/3/2010, 4:28 pm
Marie, you can get in touch with us at the following address: *******@*******.com.
Usually we can be found at the Basildon Archives at Wat Tyler on a Monday and Wednesday morning but this week due to holidays, hospital visits, and courses only I will be there tomorrow. Do come along any week. Hoping to see you, Sue

8.  Who remembers Mrs Bell, teacher at Bluehouse Infant School
Posted by Paula Email User on 23/1/2010, 11:00 pm
Does anyone remember Pauline Bell? She was a teacher at Bluehouse Infants school in the early 1970s when she would have been in her early 20s. I heard a few years ago that she had moved to Germany to teach but don't know if that's true. As my first teacher, I have very fond memories of her and would like to know what happened to her.

9.  Prefabs in Pitsea
Posted by Pat Email User on 30/1/2010, 6:55 pm
Does anyone remember the prefabs in Kenneth Road and the whole estate?

Re: Prefabs in Pitsea
Posted by vi marshall nee perfect Email User on 4/2/2010, 1:39 pm
hello pat i do remember going to the prefabs in laindon when i used to go to laindon high road school. the girl who lived there was called pat birch and i,m wondering if you are that same girl. by the way i thought that the prefabs were lovely. bye vi.

Posted by Pat Email User on 5/2/2010, 7:08 pm
Hi Vi, i'm not the Pat you are looking for. I was born in Trenham Ave Pitsea. When i was ten, the prefabs were built near by. By then i was living in a prefab in London and only visting my gran, which i did for two months every year in the school holidays. I knew a few of the kids from the prefabs and had great fun. There was a midwife called Nurse Holland living in Kenneth Road in the 1960s. Pat

Posted by Gladys Dawson Email User on 20/4/2010, 7:42 pm
Hello Pat, I lived in the Pitsea pre-fabs in about the early 1960s until I moved to Manor Avenue and I am trying to contact any neighbours for a chat about the old times.

Posted by Pat Email User on 20/4/2010, 9:34 pm
Hi Gladys, did you live near the gap in Trenham Avenue? My gran lived in a bungalow there, i was born there, and returned every school holiday. Then went back to live in 1963, and had my son in the bungalow. I knew the Eldridges and other people in the prefabs.

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 24/4/2010, 5:41 pm
I did not live there but I did know the family called the Rogers that lived there or should I say Ruled there. Any one know what happened to them.

Posted by Pat Email User on 26/4/2010, 4:02 pm
jack, did you know the Eldridge's, Bowley or Parker's?

Posted by John Email User on 24/11/2010, 7:46 pm
Hi Pat, I lived in a prefab right by the gap in trenham avenue from 1949 to about 1963. I remember the eldridge's well, and next door to me lived the bowleys. Trenham Avenue was a lovely lane when I was a kid with its massive elm trees along its whole length sadly killed off by dutch elm disease.

Posted by Pat Email User on 25/11/2010, 9:30 am
Hi John, my gran lived in the bungalow called Winchmore. i was born there and even though we went to live in London, i come back to my grans every summer, and lived in the bungalow after i married in the 1960s. Do you know what happened to Tommy Parker and the Bowleys? i know christine & Eric Eldridge now live in the Benfleet area. I was living in Trenham Ave when the prefabs were pulled down. Pat

10.  Honeypot Lane
Posted by Helen Email User on 4/2/2010, 8:10 am
Does anyone know if any part of the original Honeypot Lane still exsists. Thank you

Re: Honeypot Lane
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 6/2/2010, 9:04 pm
Does anybody know of any residents for the 1950's & 1960's who lived there and still alive please?

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 1/3/2010, 4:09 pm
Yes Helen, you can walk quite a bit of it today but the name has changed in some places. The footpath that runs level to Broadmayne on the north side at the town centre traffic lights is part of it, the tree line is still there, before it turned and crossing Broadmayne to go through the town to the railway bridge. Happy walking.

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 1/3/2010, 4:13 pm
I at one time done a milk round along Honeypot Lane and all round Basildon town centre before the bulldozers moved in. I remember Honeypot Lane as a tree covered lane.

Posted by Helen Email User on 1/3/2010, 10:04 pm
Thank you Jack for that information. It is really interesting. I love hearing all about the history of Basildon and Laindon. So to recap on where part of the old Honeypot Lane still is, are we talking about as if we were going towards Basildon Hospital and under that Bridge near the petrol station. Would it be on the left after going under the railway bridge? Or do you know the name of what the road is called now? I'm just trying to work out exactly where it is. I would love to have a walk down there sometime.

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 2/3/2010
Hi Helen
That footpath you are referring to is the old Lee Woottons Lane. As you are going up the hill towards the hospital on your left you can see through the hedge a path that has the same lane. It used to run up over the hill and down to connect to Dry Street. As your passing the hospital you will see a clump of trees on your right. There is a slight gap in the trees that is the other end of the lane. Honey Pot lane. If you go to the traffic lights at the end of the Ghyllgrove and stand facing the town centre on your right you will see a foot path running in line with the Broadmayne. It's between a line of trees and a fence. That line of trees were there when I used to do a milk round in the town centre before the bulldozers moved in. If you look to your left you will see a row of houses. Walk up the row and you should come to a road called Honeypot Lane. Now, at the traffic lights if you turn round and walk up Ghyllgrove pass the mini roundabout at the end of Whitmore Way you will see Honeypot Lane on your right. Part of Ghyllgrove was built on Honey pot Lane. Now, if you walk down that foot path level with Broadmayne at the end of the trees the road turned sharp left across the Broadmayne between the old cinema and post office depot through the back of the post office itself across town square through eastgate out to the railway bridge where the end of Clay Hill Road starts today. If you carry on up the hill on your right is a road called Waldegrave. This was the end of Honey pot Lane. Waldegrave is one of the original roads where the milk man I worked for as a 10 year old.

Posted by Helen Email User on 4/3/2010, 10:30 pm
Hi Jack.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain all of that to me. I know the line of trees you are talking about, the ones near the town. I have often looked over at the trees whilst on my way to Basildon in the car, and have wondered whether they were part of the original areas, as they looked old. I could listen to your information for hours. It is so interesting. Honeypot lane sounds like a very long lane indeed, it must have been a good few miles long. It is such a shame of the way the new town arriving, caused so many lovely places to change.

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 6/3/2010, 4:18 pm
Hi Helen
Glad you liked my explanation on the Honey Pot lane. The only trouble was I missed out a section of the road. I said it finished at the junction of Waldegrave. Well it does not, it went along Waldegrave up to the junction of Codenham Straight, that is where it ended. Codenham Straight was the start of Clay hill Rd. So you have a bit more to walk. Happy strides
JAX

Posted by Helen Email User on 9/3/2010, 1:02 pm
Many thanks Jack for that interesting information.

Posted by Gary Email User on 30/3/2010, 9:27 pm
A long shot, but does anyone know where the bungalow stood where there was a famous murder in the early 1900s?

Posted by Helen Email User on 23/8/2010, 2:33 pm
Hi Gary

Apparently it was at the site of where the clay hill road bridge is today.

11.  Prefabs in Laindon
Posted by Colin Email User on 6/2/2010, 8:25 pm
Does anyone remember when the prefabs in Victoria Road, Railway Approach & Worthing Road were pulled down? I lived at 85 Railway Approach from when it was first built until 1952. Next door was the Willis family; the other side the Hollowbread family (hope I've spelt the name correctly), further down the road lived Bill Foyle with his family.
Does anyone have any photos of these houses?

Re: Prefabs in Laindon
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 6/2/2010, 9:02 pm
Hello Colin, I remember the prefabs in Victoria Road, and my now Late Mum was a home-help to a couple of elderly people in them. We lived in Compton Walk from 1960-1964. In 1962, I started work at Brown & Tawse Tubes Ltd., in West Horndon, and one Sam Hollowbread was my Foreman.

Re: Prefabs in Laindon
Posted by Colin Email User on 6/2/2010, 10:37 pm
Thanks Brian for the info. I'm not sure of the first name of Mr Hollowbread (I was 10 when we moved to Billericay). I can recall that there were 2 children, a boy and a girl who was the same age as myself (believe her name was Silvia).

12.  Billy Foyle
Posted by Jim Green Email User on 8/2/2010, 1:41 pm
Does anyone remember Billy Foyle and Whitesbridge Farm? There were several small workshops on the farm including Hawkes Refrigeration and Hawkspeed Racing among them. I used to work for Hawkspeed around 1968. I remember Billy Foyle and his stallion 'King'. He often led the Basildon Carnival riding King and all dressed up like a rodeo cowboy - a great site. He also had a small zoo and among the animals he had a lion cub. Billy's son Tim could be seen most mornings walking this cub along the road on a lead!!! Quite amazing but quite true. Does anyone remember Billy, a remarkable man.

Re: Billy Foyle
Posted by John Wernham Email User on 9/2/2010, 9:03 pm
Hi Jim.
Yes I knew Bill Foyle. He won £75.000.00 on the football pool's. I remember he used to lead the Wickford Carnival with his white stallon 'King' in his cowboy getup. I believe the pair of Pearl handled Colt 45's he used to sport were real. In 1959 I worked for 'SC Darby's in Wickford as an apprentice agriculture engineer.
And one day Bill was showing off with 'King' outside Darby's, when the horse desided to get a bit fed up with Bill`s showing off, and reared up bringing all the traffic to a stand still. Of course all us lads thought it a big laugh. Bill was a nice chap, but let's face it, a real show off. What was the big American car he used to drive?

Posted by keith nock Email User on 10/2/2010, 3:30 pm
hi yes i remember billy before all the units were built i remember the lion he was quite a show man didnt he win football pools regards keith

Posted by Frank Dowdall on 10/2/2010, 6:32 pm
Hi Jim
I remember billy and the carnival there are still workshops at whitesbridge but I don't know who owns the site now.

I hope you are all well and still enjoying Cyprus at the moment here in Clacton it's snowing I expect you are sun bathing all the best mate.

Posted by Colin Email User on 14/2/2010, 2:15 pm
I knew Bill Foyle and his family when they lived in the prefabs in Railway Approach. He had two sons there, I believe Tim was the youngest. I understand it was Bill Foyle's father who won £75000 on the pools. His father moved to a house at the top of Noak Hill close to the turning to Great Burstead church.

Posted by Christine Hutchings Email User on 17/2/2010, 11:58 am
It was indeed Billy Foyle's father who won £75,000.00 on the pools and he bought property for all his offspring. Most of them lived in Noak Hill Road and I know that one still lives there now. Bill used to live nearer Wickford at the time, and was closely associated with Rosaires Circus. He then moved to Whitesbridge Farm. He was an old school friend of both my parents and kept in touch with us until his death. He drove me to church on my wedding day in his big American car, which I believe was a Pontiac. He loved cars and had quite a collection at the end. When he attended my mothers funeral, and in memory of her maiden name (which was White) he arrived in his beautiful white Rolls Royce.
Billy was certainly a showman, but he was also a gentleman and had a very generous nature.

Posted by Donna Foyle Email User on 7/6/2011, 1:13 am
Hey, I know this is quite an old thread but thought I'd say hi since Billy Foyle was my grandad happy.gif

Posted by Maddy Email User on 20/7/2012, 8:00 am
Hi
Billy Foyle's father won the football pools while he was building houses down a road in rayleigh and it is now called Foyle Road (Drive). My Aunt and my Nan live near the road and i am really proud to be able to say that Billy Foyle was my Great Uncle.
Maddy Foyle grin.gif

Posted by Maddy Email User on 20/7/2012, 8:05 am
Hi Donna,
I am related to you and i have always been fascinated in our family tree. Please would you help me discover more about my ancestors.
Do either of you remember Douglas, he is my grand father and he died when i was only 1 and a half.
Please would you be willing to help me with my family tree.
Maddy Foyle xxxlove.gif

Posted by Maddy Foyle Email User on 12/8/2012, 11:33 am
oops! my bad. it was a road in south ockendon that was named after the Foyle's.tongue.gif

Posted by luke searles Email User on 3/4/2013, 4:31 pm
he is my great uncle

13.  Pat Birch of Bracken Mount, Laindon
Posted by Violet Marshall nee Perfect Email User on 9/2/2010, 1:59 pm
hi, does anyone remember pat birch? she used to live on bracken mount in laindon. and went to laindon park primary school. i used to live on basildon road opposite the club and tennis court.
also is there anyone who used to work at the dartboard factory on the arterial road. and does any one remember a tie factory situated at the station end of the high street. many thanks Vi

Re: Pat Birch of Bracken Mount, Laindon
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 10/2/2010, 3:25 pm
hi violet i remember the tie factory my mum used to do homework for them i used to help her. do not remember pat birch but do remember wally stadham he used to keep goats in bracken mount. basildon road was lovely i remember a family called guests they had turkeys up the fruit trees and mr fuller he would charge up your accumulators for you. seems a shame its all gone regards keith

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 10/2/2010, 6:04 pm
If I recall correctly, the Tie factory was near the bottom of Windsor Hill and a little way up from Kentex Cleaners.

Posted by Rita Clark nee Pedrick Email User on 3/9/2010, 8:21 pm
hi this is rita clark nee pedrick. yes i do remember pat birch and her brother johnny. still talk to your brother ted and wife molly. molly,s sister betty lives next door to my daughter and family. lots of memories of you and i at school together. do you remember veronica nightingale, wonder where she is now? hope you are well.

Posted by Vi Marshall Email User on 6/9/2010, 1:08 pm
hi rita, wow it,s so good to hear from, and yes i do remember veronica but i have no idea what she,s doing these days, when i think of her all i remember is that mass of curly hair. Ted often speaks of you and keeps me in touch with goings on in laindon, i keep busy here in lincolnshire and am very happy. my two kids are fine paula now 44 lives in orkney she has two girls 18 and 15 and ian now 40 lives in portsmouth and his little boy harley is 4, where did the time go and how did i get to be this old, still as long your young on the inside thats what matters. do you have an e.mail address. mine is violet.marshall@yahoo.co.uk if you want to keep in touch.

i have a brilliant picture of a primary school sportsday with you and me sitting in the front row with all the school in the school field. if you have an e.mail i can send it to you. talk again soon i hope. it was nice to hear from you, bye from Vi..887662

Posted by Rita Clark nee Pedrick Email User on 7/9/2010, 11:36 am
lovely to hear from you. you will have to forgive me if i,m slow at replying as this pc lark is all new to me. am relying on granddaughter to help ha ha. yes also remember veronicas curly hair. i also have the photo of us on sports day i remember winning lots of races then went to laindon high road entered loads of events and came last in nearly all of them that bought me down a peg or two. i have a daughter 46 she has a son 20 and daughter 18 both very brainy definately don,t get it from me. also have a son 44 he has a daughter 18 also clever but prefers her boyfriend at the moment. would love to keep in touch and have made a note of your e mail. will contact you soon by e mail off out now to meet friends for lunch

14.  Talk on the history of Laindon
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 10/2/2010, 2:06 pm
hi any one interested there will be a talk on laindon at laindon library on 31st of march at 2pm. this is an all ticket event. ken porter will be doing it check with library for tickets regards keith

Re: Talk on the history of Laindon
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 10/2/2010, 6:08 pm
Normally on the last Wednesday of the month, I would be attending a meeting, but we are holding this one and an AGM, on the Saturday before, so I just might be able to get down for this. I have seen some of Ken's work in the Parish Magazine of St. Nicholas Church and Always enjoyed reading his entries.

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 16/2/2010, 3:13 pm
hi just to let anyone who is interested in the talk on laindon at laindon library 31st of march, tickets have to be got by phoning this number: 01206 573948 regards keith

Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 1/4/2010, 9:54 am
hi i would just like to thank ken porter for a great talk on laindon at laindon library on 31st march. brought back many memories and all the lovely photos looking forward to next one regards keith

15.  My Brother's mates
Posted by Pat Email User on 12/2/2010, 12:39 pm
Dennis bowley and tommy parker, lived in the pitsea prefabs in the 1950s

16.  Basildon fair 1960s
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 13/2/2010, 5:38 am
I'm sure I can remember a fair/carnival in the mid 1960s on spare ground next to the town centre, if we were lucky and brave enough my mates and I were allowed to stand up in the middle of the horse merry go round by the fairground workers.
Dave O.shocked.gif

Re: Basildon fair 1960s
Posted by Doreen Email User on 1/3/2010, 4:02 pm
I remember the fair being in Nether Priors 1959/60.

17.  The Pearman family
Posted by Linda Hopcroft Email User on 15/2/2010, 8:07 pm
My dad, Bob Pearman moved from Bow to Laindon in 1935 as a 4 year old and has lived there ever since. It was great finding this site by chance. My mum Joan (maiden name Higgs) sadly passed away last month and by relating some of your stories to my dad it has enabled me to find out a big part of my parents lives. My nan, Nellie Pearman lived behind the Laindon Hotel pub and worked there as a cleaner until she had a heart attack at 86 years old and had to retire. Laindon was a great place to grow up but sadly the heart was ripped out of it when the high street was replaced with the shopping centre and the Laindon Hotel pub, the Fortune of War pub and Laindon high road school was knocked down.
I would love to hear from anyone who remembers my family.

Re: The Pearman family
Posted by Keith Nock Email User on 18/2/2010, 8:53 am
hi linda, i remember my mum talking about bob pearman. my mum worked in the laindon hotel and my uncles all used to drink in there. my mum was about the same age as your dad now. its all gone laindon hotel and fortune of war what a shame laindon will never be the same but at least we have our memories. regards keith

Posted by Linda Hopcroft Email User on 18/2/2010, 11:04 am
Hi Keith. Thank you for replying to my message. My dad was round my house for dinner last night and was looking at this site. All the stories brought back great memories for him. We have loads of photos of the darts teams from the Laindon Hotel, the Crown pub and a great one of the infamous chair race. I'm looking forward to the Laindon history talk at Laindon library and will take all our photos there. We just wish Laindon had been left alone. Linda

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 19/2/2010, 9:47 pm
I was in school at Markhams Chase - Now Janet Duke - and with a boy with the surname Pearman, plus two lads Derek and Kelvin Higgs. I hope to be at Laindon Library for Keiths talk, but subject to getting there.

I wholeheartedly agree that Laindon should NEVER have been ripped apart.

Posted by John Arnold Email User on 13/7/2010, 6:00 pm
Hi Linda did any of your family live in Devonshire Road as I seem to remember playing with a Rob Pearman in the 60s and 70s and I am sure he had a sister called Linda. good days

Posted by Paul Harper Email User on 22/7/2010, 11:33 pm
Hi Linda
did your Dad (Bob) work at Fords Dunton in the receiving Dept? if so I used to work with him as a young 18/19 year old.

Posted by Linda Hopcroft Email User on 24/7/2010, 9:13 pm
Hi Paul
Yes my dad did work at Dunton fords. I'm seeing him tomorrow so I'll see if he remembers you. Thanks for responding to the message. Lin

Posted by Linda Hopcroft Email User on 24/7/2010, 9:41 pm
Hi John
Did you live next door to my aunt anne? If you did I have fond memories of all your family and growing up in Devonshire Road. Do you still live in Laindon? Its changed so much. Such a shame. Hope you and your family are ok. Say hello to them all for me. Lin

Posted by Linda Hopcroft Email User on 27/7/2010, 8:25 pm
Hi Paul. My Dad said he remembers you well and said to say hello. He said he used to go down the Bluehouse with you saturday afternoons when you was at Dunton. Thanks for the message. Lin

Posted by John Arnold Email User on 4/6/2012, 3:51 pm
Hi Linda, yes we did live next door to your aunt Anne and Uncle Steve, I think she had a sister called Marcia who married our next door neighbour. I married a Nicholas girl and we moved to Dorset 30 odd years ago, we are still going strong. Say hi to all your family from me.
Regards John

18.  The Railway Hotel, Pitsea
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 20/2/2010, 3:44 am
Have just read online that the Railway Hotel is earmarked to become a car wash, what a tragic end: that and the Double Six were the two best pubs around in the 60s.---Dave O.

Re: The Railway Hotel, Pitsea
Posted by memory man Email User on 20/2/2010, 11:05 am
Just what pitsea does not need, with the clean park opposite Go Outdoors, the car washers in tesco, the car wash in pitsea market, is there enough cars to be washed???. Why not extend the market onto the car park to tidy it up temporarily.

Posted by Vic Wiles on 21/2/2010, 5:15 pm
What a sad end for Pitsea Railway known localy as The Flying Bottle

Posted by dave oakley Email User on 22/2/2010, 6:27 am
You are right Vic thats where i learnt to duck-hehehehehehe.happy.gifwink.gif

Posted by keith nock Email User on 22/2/2010, 8:51 am
hi what a shame the railway was a landmark its so sad to see so many old pubs closing down regards keith

Posted by mike fruin Email User on 25/2/2010, 10:20 am
Great memories of the Railway Hotel. It was THE place in the middle 50s for us new Basildon boys.
Learned to drink and dance there, and a good place to meet up with the charabanc girls going to Southend!
Mike Fruin Tasmania

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 28/2/2010, 3:03 pm
Sorry to hear another watering hole in basildon will bite the dust. Over the years I worked opposite the Railway hotel I witnessed many a fight, stabbings and even a shooting there.

Posted by Vic Wiles on 28/2/2010, 5:13 pm
Are you the same Jack Fisher who was the chief projectionist at the Pitsea flea pit ?

Posted by Helen Email User on 1/3/2010, 10:06 pm
Wouldn't it be great if the railway hotel could be used as the Basildon Museum.

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 1/3/2010, 2:42 pm
Yes Vic thats me.

Posted by Sue Randle on 7/3/2010, 10:35 am
A lovely idea, I'll make some enquiries.
Sue Randle secretary of Basildon District Museum

Posted by Frank Dowdall Email User on 10/3/2010, 12:04 pm
Hi Jack
just spoken to my mum Vi who used to work at the cinema and she remembers you

Frank

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 13/3/2010, 4:11 pm
Hi Frank
Give your mum my regards. It was a great place to work. Tell her I have a picture of her decorating the Christmas tree in the foyer. I use it as a dart board. Nar just joking. Ask her if she remembers Tony Heaps. His a Lord now. I live in Notts now a little town called Retford. All the Best JACK

Posted by Frank Dowdall Email User on 14/3/2010, 11:07 am
Hi Jack

She was very pleased when I told her I had contacted you unfortunatley since we were last in contact she has had a fall and broken her hip and is supposed to be having an op today at her age 89 its not very easy so we are hoping all will be ok but I will see her tomorrow and pass on your info.

Regards

Frank

Posted by Frank Dowdall Email User on 14/3/2010, 11:45 am
Hi Jack

Can you scan your picture and forward it to my email address I reckon she would love to see that.

Frank

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 14/3/2010, 12:01 pm
Hi Frank
Im sorry to hear that. Hope all turns out ok. The picture is an old paper cutting so I doubt if it comes out OK. What is your e-mail?
JAX

Posted by Toff Email User on 29/7/2010, 4:06 am
I second the option from Helen, a Museum is a perfect memorial to the man who put Pitsea on the map (Mr Howard). Not forgetting also the social history it has seen within its walls and the wonder of people passing - My experiences date from early 1960's to my first drink within its walls (aged 16) 1976 till virtually its closing. It is a very precious building to the community and should be treated as such and we should not let the same thing happen here as to what happened at the Laindon Hotel, Fortune of War etc etc.., Bulldozed!

19.  Drowning at Vange
Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 28/2/2010, 3:48 pm
In the 1950s when the Vange swimming pool was open us boys would swim in the Vange and Pitsea creek because we could not afford to go in the swimming pool. One of the lads tried to cross the creek in his bare feet and got stuck in the mud and the tide came in and drowned him. It was a friend of mine that found him while swimming.

20.  Laindon Hotel
Posted by keith nock on 12/3/2010, 2:10 pm
hi i wonder how many remember the laindon hotel. what a lively place it was. people got up and sung and the bunny girls. it was full of characters what a shame it was burnt down regards keith

Re: Laindon Hotel
Posted by Andrea Email User on 12/3/2010, 5:36 pm
We certainly do - especially the CHEROKEES band - or is that too far back?

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 14/3/2010, 4:11 pm
I certainly do remember it, but mainly for going to watch Laindon United play there on Saturdays. I only ever had a drink in there twice, before moving away. Fortunately, I got photo's of it before the fire.
Cheers!

Posted by mccvicar Email User on 14/3/2010, 6:57 pm
Hi Brian, do you remember any games between Bowers United and Laindon United?

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 17/3/2010, 6:22 pm
Sorry, but it was so long ago now, I couldn't tell you, sorry. What I do remember is it was a real leather ball, plus the changing rooms, baths and the groundsman.

Re the hotel itself, I also remember the Off License.

Posted by June Newland nee Bradford Email User on 3/12/2010, 11:27 am
hello keith, i to used to go to the laindon hotel. can you remember mikalena the spanish singer in the 1970s? i lived in danacre bk then

21.  Vange Swimming Pool
Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 14/3/2010, 3:18 pm
I remember the swimming pool down Wharf Lane very well. It was in the pool I learned to swim. It was filled from the creek sea water and if you put your feet on the bottom you would find Eels or Crabs crawling over them.

22.  Basildon Youth Association
Posted by Margot Upstone (nee Brummer) Email User on 15/3/2010, 12:22 am
Here is a link to a film clip of Basildon Youth Association formed in 1961 and given Riverside Farm (Vange) and the old swimming pool as their headquarters. I would be delighted if anyone recognises themselves or a friend and would get in touch and give me details. There is a second part from 1962 to follow later. I am also compiling some memories of the club and its members which I will send to this site sometime in the future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJjQzzZ0CQ
Enjoy!

Editor: The original website link with this entry no longer resolves.
(https://vimeo.com/videos/search:Basildon%20Youth%20Association)

Re: Basildon Youth Association
Posted by Margot Upstone (nee Brummer) Email User on 24/3/2010, 5:38 pm
If you can't get on the site from the link I gave in my previous message try going to a site called Vimeo and typing 'Basildon Youth Association' into the search box

Posted by Vivien Brett (nee Norris) Email User on 9/5/2010, 4:19 pm
Great film. recognised my late sister in laws sister.

Vivien

Posted by Margot Upstone (nee Brummer) Email User on 9/5/2010, 8:36 pm
Could you tell me the person you recognised - if you have their name when single and tell me which part of the film they are in. And could you ask her to post a message so I can contact her? Thanks. Margot

23.  Holy Cross Church
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 21/3/2010, 6:58 am
Just wondering if the GHOST OF HOLY CROSS CHURCH is still wandering around. He or IT was definitely supposed to be putting in an appearance at least until i left Basildon in 1971.--Dave O.nerdy.gifconfused.gif

Re: Holy Cross Church
Posted by mike fruin Email User on 22/3/2010, 10:53 pm
In 1955 my mate John Darling was pushing his bike past the church at night and swears he saw the ghost walk across the road and pass through the hedge around the church.
No, he hadn't been drinking. We were 15 then.

24.  Bonallack Coachbuilders
Posted by steve tillyer Email User on 9/4/2010, 12:05 pm
Does anyone remember or worked at Bonallack's Coachbuilders in the 1950s or 1960s? They were just off Cranes Farm Road and built lorry bodies and also ice cream vans.
Any information from ex-employees would be gratefully recieved.
Thank you Steve Tillyer.

Re: Bonallack Coachbuilders
Posted by Andrea Email User on 9/4/2010, 2:53 pm
In about 1961 I worked in Bonallack's office as a Junior. Really nice people who looked after me -
Eddie was our boss, Ada was his pa. There was a Charlie (Geeson). John (Hughes, I think) went into the works during his lunch time and made me a metal box to lock away my letters from my soldier boyfriend. (I'd complained my mum was reading them). Made friends with Val and Jean. I remember Mr Bonallack, Michael, Tony and Sally. Can't remember anymore names at moment.

Posted by keith nock Email User on 10/4/2010, 9:45 am
hi i remember going to bonallacks when i was at laindon high rd school 1962 on a school trip to see round the factory regards keith

Posted by mike fruin Email User on 11/4/2010, 7:55 am
I moved to Basildon in 1955, and my friend John Darling's dad worked at Bonallack as a spray painter. They moved from Willesden. John is still living in Vange, but his dad died some years ago.

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 15/4/2010, 12:31 pm
I remember delivering parcels to Bonallack's in the 1960's. I also remember that Michael Bonallack was quite a famous golfer. I played in the Basildon GPO football team on Sunday mornings and Bonallack's were in our league. They had one extremely good player called Alf Derby who once played for Leyton Orient. He topped the goalscoring charts almost every season. I think Bonallack's closed down in the late 60's.

Posted by Tony Dow Email User on 12/7/2010, 12:09 am
Hiya Steve
In the early 1960's I bought a 1958 ice cream van I converted it into a softie with a taylor machine and an onan generator when I finished it the cost came to £1600 at that time bonallacks had made a protatype softie ice cream van and as I'd just finished mine they put an advert in the local paper to sell this protatype which Tony Rossi of southend bought from Bonallacks for Yes £1600 brand new, that was 1966 it was a D reg

Posted by Derrick Still Email User on 30/10/2010, 4:39 pm
Hi All. I worked at Bonallack (Wakefield). There were four factorys. Basildon, Norwich, Lancing and Wakefield. I was there from 1972 to 1984.
Basildon closed down in the late seventies, we got all there work at wakefield.
Lancing closed down in the eighties we got there work at wakefield
Wakefield closed 15/6/1984.
Norwich went on for a year then closed down.
Alcan pulled out of all vehicle body builders.

Posted by Terry Email User on 24/2/2011, 8:35 pm
I have been asked to do a little research on the Building on the corner of Honywood Road and Cranes Farm Road. Would this have been 'Bonallack Coachbuilders? It previously was the White Arrow building directly opposite the old Basildon Dairy.

Are there any photo's of the place as Bonallack Coachbuilders?

Thanks for your help.

Posted by Jim Attrill Email User on 19/3/2011, 12:07 pm
I was an apprentice there 1964-66 and left to join the RAF. My father worked there about 1960-70 on the roof jig. Their children's Xmas parties were very good.

Posted by peter peters Email User on 12/9/2011, 9:11 pm
Hi,
I was an apprentice at Bonallack coachbuilders in the late fifties. We built all types of commercial bodywork from fire engines to ice cream vans and lorry one man cabs. We had a great appentices club on friday nights where we used to race milk float chasis around the lorry park.
There was a long strike one year led by the shop convener Peter Brown over one shilling per hour (12p) with marching bands and the slogan "New Towns do not mean cheap Labour" I joined it for one week but had to return to work on union advice because I was a contracted apprentice. Apart from Coachbuilders there was many skilled trades employed such as panel beaters, welders, sheet metal workers, wood workers and spray painters. I left the company befor its demise but it must have been a sad time to see all these skilled workers disbanded.
Peter

Posted by Vaughan Turney Email User on 24/9/2011, 10:50 am
Hi
Can any ex Bonallack employees confirm that the company manufactured the cabs for Merryweather turntable ladder fire engines in the 1960's.
I worked at Merryweathers as an apprentice and we built the rest of the bodywork. I am looking for this information to pass on to a collegue who is writing a book.
Best regards
Vaughan.

Posted by Kath McBane Email User on 16/11/2011, 8:38 pm
Hi
My husband, father and uncle and many friends worked at Bonallacks in the 60s and 70s. My husband remembers making the cabs for Merryweather fire engines he was a panel beater. My uncle was a foreman welder and my dad was a storeman

Regards

Posted by Jamie Clarke Email User on 21/12/2011, 9:09 pm
My father worked for Bonallack in Norwich as a coachbuilder then a foreman and went on to run the test chamber. He would take me round to see the trailers that they were building. He worked there from 1967-1983 his name is John Clarke.

25.  Seeking old friends in North Benfleet area
Posted by Peter Watts Email User on 12/4/2010, 9:42 am
Hello, My name is PETER WATTS and I live in Queensland, Australia. I lived in Hall Cottage, Pound Lane, North Benfleet during WW2 and attended North Benfleet C of E School from 1936 to 1941. We left North Benfleet in June 1944 for Dartmouth, South Devon.
I would love to hear from any of my old school friends. My home address is P.O. Box 86 Hervey Bay, Queensland 4655 Australia.

26.  Pitsea prefabs & Nurse Holland
Posted by Gladys Dawson Email User on 17/4/2010, 10:31 pm
Trying to contact anybody that lived in or remembers the pre-fabs in Manor Avenue/Kenneth Road, Pitsea for a chat about the old times

Re: Pitsea prefabs & Nurse Holland
Posted by Pat Email User on 21/4/2010, 7:14 pm
hi gladys, i lived in trenham ave, i was born there and moved to london as a 3 year old, but went back for 3 months every year then went back to live in 1960s. i knew some people in the prefabs, also nurse holland who lived in kenneth road, opposite the bus stop.

Posted by Pat Email User on 8/6/2010, 4:14 pm
can you remember Trenham AVE PITSEA in the 1940s & mrs Lovering who lived there?

Posted by Jo Cullen Email User on 5/7/2010, 11:50 pm
Hi I am working with Basildon District Museum and wondered if you had any photos of the prefabs in Pitsea?

Posted by Anne Jones Email User on 13/8/2010, 3:06 pm
Hi I used to live at 45 Cromwell Gardens, in the prefabs. I can remember Nurse Holland. My name was Anne Parker - brother Tommy and sister Jeanne and Tom and Lou were my Mum and Dad. Anyone remember us? We used to live next door to Mark and Ray Bowley (twins).

Posted by Pat Email User on 13/8/2010, 4:05 pm
hi again anne, did you get my email? just remembered, nurse holland delivered me and my son, 22 years later.

Posted by Pat Email User on 15/8/2010, 8:11 pm
Hi Anne not sure if you got my first message. Yes I remember Tommy, he was a pal of my brother Terry. We used to visit my gran for 2 months every summer, she lived in Trenham Avenue, next to the cornfield. Also played with Christine Eldridge and her brother Eric, and Dennis Bowley. Where is Tommy now? Love to hear from you. Pat

Posted by Pat Email User on 16/8/2010, 12:20 pm
hi jo, don't think i have any photos of the prefabs, but many of the bungalow my gran had in trenham ave. my brother may have some of prefabs, i'll ask him next time we speak.
bfn patricia

Posted by Maureen Baxter (nee Ridley) Email User on 14/9/2010, 3:45 pm
I lived in the Kenneth Road prefabs (No 5) from 1948 until around 1955 when we moved to Corringham. I certainly remember the lovely Nurse Holland, she delivered both my brother Michael and I at our grandparents bungalow in Lillie Avenue - the bungalow my grandfather built himself by coming down to Pitsea from London at weekends. Nurse Holland was supposed to deliver my own children but things didn't go to plan and I ended up in hospital - I was most disappointed! Next door to us at the prefabs lived Donald Lowe - Michael, Donald and I played together all the time. I still have some super photos of us all together posing with a Guy we'd made for bonfire night. We looked a real trio of scruffs! If you come on here, Donald, I'd love to hear from you and you can have a copy of the pics! I really don't remember other kids in the area though the name Billy LaRoche sticks in my mind.

Posted by Pat Email User on 21/9/2010, 5:39 pm
hi anne, how are you? hope all is well. iv been waiting for a reply from you. Love to know how Tommy is, and news of Denis bowley. My brother terry lives in north london. Looking forward to your reply.........Pat

Posted by Terry Steward Email User on 24/11/2011, 2:28 am
We lived at 43 Cromwell Gardens, Pitsea, from about 1960/61, to November 1964. My parents are Les and Sheila Steward nee Brown. Dad used to ride scrambles bikes, and drove an ice cream van, me and my brother Trevor were both under 5 years old then!

Posted by Terry Steward Email User on 24/11/2011, 6:58 am
I have a photo of me and my brother sitting on my dads scrambler in the garden of 43 Cromwell Gardens, circa 1962/63.

Posted by Jo Cullen Email User on 24/11/2011, 1:43 pm
Hi Terry, We would love to have a copy of your photo for the collection. We have been lucky enough to have been given some of a street party outside the prefabs in Cromwell Avenue. Depending on your age you might recognise someone in them. Jo

Posted by Terry Steward Email User on 7/12/2011, 9:34 pm
My number is 0**6* 741017

27.  Dicky Birds Ice Cream
Posted by Richard Cusworth Email User on 20/4/2010, 12:29 am
Hello to you, whilst I realise that this may be a long shot maybe one of your readers may be able to help me. I am researching Dicky Birds Ice Cream Co. and have just come across your message board listings for 2006 and would like to ask the following. Did Dicky Bird have a factory in this area as the only one I can trace gives King Alfreds Way, Barking?

To Maurice, Dicky Bird did use Dot 3 Wheel Delivery vehicles in the early 1950s. To Carlos, who requested pictures of this era, I have two pictures of the Dicky Bird Dot 3 wheel trucks. In fact not only do I have the pictures but I have an original 1948 Dot 3 wheeler in Dicky Birds Livery.

Any further information on this company gratefully appreciated.

Re: Dicky Birds Ice Cream
Posted by Tony Dow Email User on 9/5/2010, 3:41 pm
I used to buy my ice cream & fro-joy lollies from dickie birds in the 1950s on the corner of church road & whitmore way. The van was a trojan. I would love to see pics of the dot 3 wheeler, can you e-mail them to me, regards tony.

Posted by Richard Cusworth Email User on 9/5/2010, 10:19 pm
Hi Tony send me your email address and I will forward the pictures to rcusworth@aol.com

Posted by Tony Dow Email User on 16/5/2010, 11:46 pm
Hiya Richard
My email address is tonydow2000@yahoo.co.uk
thanks Tony

Posted by Andrew White Email User on 1/7/2010, 10:15 pm
Hi are you the same Tony who drove a Jenson in the early 70's?

Posted by Tony Dow Email User on 8/7/2010, 9:15 pm
Hiya Andrew
Yea I was the one with a jensen, it was a jensen ff four wheel drive, Brilliant motor

Tony Dow

Posted by Eric Macaree Email User on 27/2/2012, 1:01 pm
I used to buy my frojoy lollies from the beehive cafe seven kings in the 1950's. My favorites were spearmit banana and chocolate. Eric Macaree

Posted by Bob Weller Email User on 21/6/2012, 2:34 pm
Hello
I recently found two B/W prints of my Mum taken circa 1939, sitting on the seat of a Dicky Bird tricycle. Taken around Hackney/Walthamstow area. Factory address was King Alfreds Way, Barking.
If anyone wants a copy let me know.

Posted by Richard Cusworth Email User on 22/6/2012, 4:21 pm
In response to your offer regarding pictures of Dicky Birds I would love copies of the photos to add to my collection of bits concerning DB. I am more than willing to meet any cost you may incure in this matter. Any other information about this company you may have would be gratefully received.

Regards Richard.

Posted by Bob Weller Email User on 24/6/2012, 1:36 pm
Hello Richard
I'll get the prints from Mum and scan them and email them to you. I'll let you know when I've got them and then you can let me know your email address. It may be a little while as I live in Devon and Mum lives in Surrey, so she may post or I'll pick them up when next there, hope that is ok.
Regards
Bob

28.  Papworths Mobile Shop
Posted by Peter Mills Email User on 21/4/2010, 5:09 pm
Papworths had a greengrocery/grocer shop in rectory road pitsea. He also ran 2 vans that did door to door deliveries around pitsea, he always had 2 large biscuit tins on these vans full of penny sweets that us kids could buy while mum shopped for her weekly greengrocery. He also sold packs of 5 park drive cigarettes up till 1974. Does anybody remember him?

Re: Papworths Mobile Shop
Posted by Jennifer Darcy nee Campbell Email User on 29/11/2010, 10:36 pm
Remember Papworths well, the daughter Ruby was a friend of my sister there were two sons also John and i think Raymond, our family's used to go on trips to the country together on Sunday afternoons.
There was another shop further up called Steggles. They sold an assortment of stuff and also had a lending library.

29.  Vange/Pitsea Carnival 1930
Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 24/4/2010, 12:23 pm
I have been trying to locate a film of the 1930 Carnival for some time. Thanks to one of your readers I have acquired a copy. It was my responsibility to destroy the film when the Century Cinema closed its doors. On the film you can see a number of the local traders with their floats. One of these is Vic Wiles the coal merchant. I noticed that name come up a number of times on the message board. Any relation? A few others are Saunders, Churchill & Johnsons, Campbells. The Carnival was organised by the scout group. On the film you will see two carnivals the first was in 1929 the second in 1930. One comming down the high street the other coming out of Station lane. Of the first you can see the Railway Hotel but no Bank it not being built yet. On both you can see the war memorial.

Re: Vange/Pitsea Carnival 1930
Posted by Vic Wiles on 25/4/2010, 11:51 am
Hi Jack Fisher
I would like to see that film the Vic Wiles you spotted was my father he first started in business with a horse and cart doing general haulage working up to 13 lorries and then the new town and so called development came along so that business along with many other local traders have disappeared
Vic Wiles

Re: Vange/Pitsea Carnival 1930
Posted by Derrick Burt Email User on 21/8/2010, 7:20 pm
I remember Doughy Saunders leading the parade on his white horse

30.  McKenna's in Vange 1932
Posted by Denise Email User on 4/5/2010, 12:42 am
1932 - 1935: Does anyone in Vange, Essex remember my grandfather James Paul McKenna and his wife Veda and their small son William Patrick WHO CAME TO LIVE WITH FAMILY in Vange. They were from South Africa,
During their time there they baptised their child William and "re married" themselves in the local Catholic church @ St Josephs, Stanford-le Hope. They returned to South Africa in 1935.
Please contact me if you have any info.

31.  Lucas depot in Bentalls, Basildon
Posted by keith nock Email User on 8/5/2010, 3:57 pm
hi does anyone remember the lucas depot in the bentalls? i recently went and saw a friend of mine who worked there in the 1970s. there was bert, fred and frank. regards keith

32.  Craylands secondary school
Posted by Janet Storey [Payne] Email User on 23/5/2010, 10:12 am
Hi I used to go to Craylands in 1954/56 and hated it... would like to contact Carol Cranfield. I seem to remember a Barry Hopkins. i wonder what has happened to those people of those times.

Re: Craylands secondary school
Posted by Teresa Simonelli (nee Rowley) Email User on 27/5/2010, 11:48 pm
I was at Craylands from 1964-69 and remember my time there with fondness..... can't remember doing a lot of school work but hey, I was no high flyer. Does anybody remember Mr. Bulbeck (English teacher) who used to throw blackboard rubbers at students who werent listening!!!! Wouldnt happen these days eh!!

Posted by Janet [Jaz] Email User on 29/5/2010, 5:24 am
Hi Teresa and thanks for replying. I had been and gone by the time you got there. I do remember Mr. Bulbeck because he fell about laughing when I said I wanted to be a teacher. Guess what smarty pants Bulbeck, I am! A high school teacher majoring in Drama [theatre skills] with minors in English, Art, and Media studies. So he can put that in his pipe and smoke it. Makes you wonder what became of fellow students. I hated that school because I was ridiculed in front of the class by the maths teacher, embarrassed beyond hope with the science teacher, and I hate recalling the female P.T. teacher who was a b###h. Gawd, I hope these people aren't related to you. However, I found a champion in Miss Hart, Art teacher. Did you have her? You're quite right about teacher cruelty, can't touch the little blighters these days. Anyway, nice to hear from you and hope you will reply to this message. Jaz in Oz

Posted by margaret hickman Email User on 26/6/2010, 9:03 am
I was there when the Welsh dragon was headmistress and sometimes she used to fly the welsh flag with the red dragon on it. She was a friend of the music teacher Miss Jeffries (who was nice). I remember Miss Clark the geography teacher who didn't believe in Christmas and would never let us put decorations up.

Posted by jaz Email User on 30/6/2010, 6:32 am
Hello ex Craylanders. Does anyone remember Carol Cranfield and Hazel Burgess - just a thought.

Posted by Geoff Andrews Email User on 22/3/2012, 9:41 pm
I remember Miss Jeffries, Lovely lady. She is still alive I think at about 101, I visited her in 2005 when I visited UK. Still lived alone in her old house at Westcliff. My sister Margaret still keeps in touch with her.
I was at Craylands from 1959 to 63. Pleased to hear from anyone who remembers me.

Posted by Geoff Andrews Email User on 12/11/2012, 6:57 am
My Sister Margaret was in touch with Miss Jeffrey
Music teacher, for many years but recently had no replies to her letters (she is not on e mail)
We wonder if Miss Jeffrey has passed away as she would be about 90.
Does anyone know about her?
Geoff Andrews pupil 1959 to 1963

33.  Family Edwards of High Road, Vange
Posted by Elizabeth Elliott Email User on 25/5/2010, 6:16 am
Hello there,
I have been researching my late mother's family I know she used to live in High Road Vange also is there anyway I can get an old photo identified, looks like a football team.
Thank you in advance Elizabeth, Perth WA

Re: Family Edwards of High Road, Vange
Posted by patriot Email User on 27/5/2010, 8:10 pm
Is there anyway you can post the photo?

Posted by Elizabeth Elliott Email User on 28/5/2010, 11:02 am
The only way I've been told is through e-mail. I am not very good with the computer my grand daughter helps me.
Regards Elizabeth

Posted by Janet [Jaz] Email User on 29/5/2010, 5:57 am
Hello Elizabeth I may have been around the time of your mother, but as there are no dates or names, can't help you as yet. I lived in Basildon from 1954 until I was 21 in 1963, then migrated to Perth W.A. Now living in Adelaide. Cheers Janet [JAZ]

Posted by Elizabeth Elliott Email User on 30/5/2010, 2:08 am
Hi Janet,
My Grandfather James Edwards and grandmother Minnie I believe lived in vange during the 1920's. My Aunty joan was born there in 1920 they had 14 children Joan being the youngest. About 1943/44 I stayed there when my mother worked in the aircraft factory don't remember much as I was only 4yrs. My uncle Tom died in vange I think about 2yrs ago. I believe he gave his account of the early years in a book called Basildon and surrounds.
I live in Perth WA have been in Australia since 1967.
regards Elizabeth

34.  Pitsea People Power
Posted by dave oakley Email User on 25/5/2010, 10:27 am
Read the ECHO on line today, seems like the good people of PITSEA have had their voices heard and have had the plan to turn the RAILWAY HOTEL into a CAR WASH overturned---WELL DONE FOLKS.-dAVE O.lol.gifgrin.gifhappy.gif.

Re: Pitsea People Power
Posted by John Hammerslag Email User on 26/5/2010, 3:11 pm
Thank goodness commonsense and civic pride has prevailed to save part of Pitsea's original character. To compliment the Railway Hotel building it would now be nice to see Pitsea Broadway restored to a good standard, including the cinema. As an old local from way back and now living in Australia, I was horrified on my last visit to see the deteriorated heart of Pitsea. Thanks Dave for keeping us informed.

Re: Pitsea People Power
Posted by John Hammerslag Email User on 31/1/2011, 6:16 am
Hi Dave, It doesn't pay to have too much faith I'm afraid!! Sadly, it would appear we have been proven wrong in relation to the future of the Railway Hotel. Also I'm sure Mr Howard must be turning in his grave from the atrocious looking car wash now installed in the car park - it sort of adds that Third World country look to the old place don't you think? When I wonder will the powers to be start to realize that most of the old buildings of character and historic value have pratically disapeared in the Basildon area - but then perhaps they really don't care?! So now with the latest debacle are we about to witness the demise of yet another tangible part of the local history, for us to discuss on this website as just a memory.

Nobody can deny the old pub had a reputation at times, but this doesn't justify the neglect and destruction of Pitsea's history. Let's face it, if having a bad reputation was the criteria for executing demolition, then most of the old buildings in the UK would now be gone.

35.  Wendy Darke & Pat Card
Posted by Isabel Smith [nee Beaney] Email User on 6/6/2010, 11:01 pm
Both Wendy Darke & Pat Card were good friends. I am in contact with other girls from the Langdon Primary School in Langdon Hills, who would also like to hear any news of these two friends. Does anyone have any information on them? I also went to Laindon High Road School from approx 1953-1957, and in contact with a few friends from that time.
Love to hear from anyone who remembers.

Re: Wendy Darke & Pat Card
Posted by mike fruin Email User on 15/6/2010, 11:53 am
I lived in Basildon and knew a family called Bird who lived at the top of King Edward Road, Laindon. There were two sisters, Shirley, who was probably before your time, and Brenda who may have gone to your school during those years. Any knowledge?

Posted by Isabel Smith Email User on 18/6/2010, 3:39 pm
Hi Mike
Thanks for your message I knew Brenda Freemantle but not sure if she lived in King Edward Road. There was a Jean Pattle [I think her surnamne is correct] she was in that awful train accident at Laindon and was badly hurt. From Friends Reunited I picked up her name with Kay Pideoux but they never replied to me. I am in contact with Wendy Liddle [nee Fox] and will find out if she remembers the family you are talking about.

Posted by violet marshall nee perfect Email User on 18/6/2010, 5:51 pm
hello i went to laindon high road school and i remember the name pat card did she live in the prefabs. i used to live on basildon road and i went to the primary school on church road. hope to hear from any one who remembers me. so sad that the school is no longer there, but happy that the primary still goes on bye vi marshall nee perfect

Posted by Isabel Smith Email User on 18/6/2010, 8:08 pm
Hi Violet
I was friends with Pat Card, Lillian Andrews, Wendy Darke, Wendy Fox and others of course. Pat contracted polio in the first six months of going to Laindon High Road School. She lived in Shelley Avenue, just off Berry Lane, we all went to the Langdon Hills Primary School as well. I am still in contact with Lillian and Wendy. Lillian now lives in New Zealand, and I in South Africa. I was in the UK this time last year and met up with Wendy for the first time in 50 years, wonderful, and without email etc this would never have happened. Any assistance I can give please let me know. Isabel

Posted by Derrick Mumford Email User on 14/9/2010, 6:47 pm
Hi Mike, Just seen your message - Brenda Freemantle is my cousin had brother Brian and lived next door to Valerie and Nicky Yates in Tattenham Road off King Edward Road. I have 2 elder sisters of about that age group Doreen and Irene Mumford.

Posted by Isabel Smith [nee Beaney] Email User on 18/9/2010, 10:32 pm
For Derrick Mumford. Hi Derek, Brenda Freemantle was in the same class as myself, and I went to her wedding at the catholic church in Langdon Hills. Is Brenda still around and please let us have news of her? Perhaps she will even write to me, several of us have been trying to find different girls from our class and Brenda was one of them. PLEASE PLEASE LET US HAVE NEWS, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO BE IN TOUCH AGAIN.

36.  Ernie from Pitsea
Posted by pat Email User on 7/6/2010, 1:04 pm
Does anyone know Ernie, cant remember his surname. He was a motor mechanic and lived in Pitsea with his wife and children (wife died young). He came from a large family, i remember.
John Skeels would like to hear from him.

37.  Markhams Chase School
Posted by lisa Email User on 24/6/2010, 12:25 am
CALLING ALL FORMER STUDENTS - TEACHERS WE NEED YOU

The school is in the process of amalgamating the Infants and Juniors. And to mark this occasion we are having a celebration event.

Friday 10th September 13.30 - 15.00. Janet Duke Primary School, Markhams Chase, Basildon, SS15 5LS.

We are inviting past teachers and students to come along and join with the current children to share experiences and stories from times past.

We are hoping to have representation from all decades Class of 50's, 60's Etc.

we hope you will consider our invitation.

Kind Regards
Lisa Pratt
Chair PTA (Friends of Janet Duke)

Re: Markhams Chase School
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 29/6/2010, 12:41 am
Two days after my birthday, it will be one Tremendous pleasure for me to come along and meet other students from my time there, plus talk to current students.

Posted by Andrew White Email User on 1/7/2010, 7:50 pm
Hi i attended Markhams Chase school as an infant in 1960 my teacher then was Miss Skinner my first teacher. I then went onto the juniors for a year or so but was sent to Bluehouse which i didn't like at all. I will certanly love to attend and maybe meet former class mates from years ago. I still have a school report from when i was 7.

Posted by lisa Email User on 5/7/2010, 7:00 pm
It would be great if you could come along.

If you would like to email me your postal addresses I will forward you an official invitation. If you are still in contact with any former pupils/teacher if you can ask them to contact me if they would be interested in attending.

lisaann@fsmail.net

Look forward to meeting you.

Posted by brian baylis Email User on 7/7/2010, 12:19 am
You already have my E-mail address Lisa and I look so forward to meeting everybody on the day.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 11/9/2010, 5:23 pm
As one of the visitors who Thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon, I would like to say a Huge thank you to all staff and pupils who made us all So very welcome on the day.

Long may it continue to Improve and obtain Excellent status.

Posted by Derrick Mumford Email User on 14/9/2010, 6:33 pm
Hi All,
Unfortunately, I was having a plaster cast removed fromn my leg, but can't use that as an excuse as I have only just caught up with this invitation which I am annoyed with myself, I have been longing for someone to come up with a reason for a get together and now I've missed it.
I attended Markhams chase 1960-64 and have many photo's I would love to have shown all. I remember Miss Pike later became Mrs Osbourne.
Mr Bagerley Mr Jones and the great lady herself Janet Duke

38.  Plotlands
Posted by Dawn Smith Email User on 29/6/2010, 4:02 pm
My family used to own a plot called 'Ivydean' at Highbank Drive in Laindon. It was a beautiful spot. The fields were full of corn and barley and poppies bloomed everywhere. There was a pretty small house on our land, painted blue and white with an intricate glass mosaic door of individual red and white patterned glass pieces. One of the other houses on Highbank Drive was 'Duchess' and Gerald, my first 'boyfriend' (aged 8) lived there. We thought he was really posh as he owned a hammock. I have photos somewhere..

Re: Plotlands
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 1/7/2010, 12:11 am
I am the Proud owner of the book about the Plotlands and every so now and again, get it out to read and look at the photo's, even though I can't recall anybody from there.

Re: Plotlands
Posted by Ken Porter Email User on 27/8/2010, 9:15 pm
Hi Dawn

Not sure if we have come across each other, but I am interested in old plotland photos. St Nicholas Church Laindon on the 11th/12th of September are holding a festival 'Laindon Has Talent' there will be many old photographs. I will be there on the Saturday if you can make it.
Just ask for me, I would love to have a chat.

Ken

Click here for July - December 2010 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2011
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM