blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2013 Forum Threads - July to December

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2013 entries
Click here for January - June entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

08) Holy Cross + St Nicholas - 5 replies.
09) Rectory Road family
10) Help for uni project - 1 reply.
11) Sanatorium in Dry Street
12) Jim Green
13) Burnt Mills car accident - 5 replies.
14) Dave from Adelaide - 3 replies.
15) Jolly Friar public house - 2 replies.
16) Waterloo grille company
17) St Marys Crescent, Pitsea - 1 reply.
18) Christmas Greetings - 1 reply.
blank.gif
8.  Holy Cross + St Nicholas
Posted by Tim Telfer Email User on 17/7/2013, 10:29 am
My great grandfather was Herbert Carpenter, Rector of Basildon and Laindon for many years last century. I wonder if there is any information about him? It seems the old rectory has been demolished. Most grateful for any information.

Re: Holy Cross + St Nicholas
Posted by Geoff Baxter Email User on 18/12/2013, 7:49 pm
Hi Tim
I have a few photos of him. One portrait and a couple in various wedding photos.
let me have an email address and I'l send them.
Regards

Posted by Tim Telfer Email User on 18/12/2013, 10:56 pm
Dear Geoff
Thanks so much - I would be delighted to see them!
Family history had it that my great grandfather is buried in the church - that may be wrong. The only picture I have shows him aged about 60, and another with some of his family standing outside what I presume was the vicarage - and that I think has been demolished! I am very keen to see the church; he was Vicar of Basildon and Laindon so perhaps you could advise me where I should be heading, access etc. Many thanks. Tim

Posted by Lorna Email User on 26/12/2013, 6:28 pm
Please e-mail me Tim.
Herbert was married to my grandfather's sister Florence so we are distantly related.

Posted by Tim Telfer Email User on 27/12/2013, 10:36 am
Dear Lorna
Thanks for emailing me. I knew about Florence of course (I think the family always called her 'Flo', and I seem to remember she had a daughter Rosalind?). Sadly my Mother's generation have mostly passed on so all I have to go on are what I vaguely remember from growing up! I have a head and shoulders photo of Herbert aged about 65, and I used to have a group photo of the family - including Flo - standing outside what I think must have been the vicarage. I look forward to hearing from you! Tim

Posted by Lorna Email User on 27/12/2013, 11:23 am

https://www.laindonhistory.org.uk/images/uploaded/scaled/Carpenter_Family.jpg

Herbert's first wife died so Flo (or Mrs C as my family called her) married Herbert when he was in his 50s.

Do e-mail me directly and we can carry on the conversation.

9.  Rectory Road family
Posted by beryl lucas nee bull Email User on 6/8/2013, 11:09 pm
does anybody remember the very very large family that lived in rectory road , I think their name was harris or Harrison .I have very fond memories of living my childhood on the st marys estate everybody knew everybody different nowdays beryl lucas nee bull

10.  Help for uni project
Posted by Tracy Hymas Email User on 14/8/2013, 7:33 am
Can anyone help my daughter. Her summer uni project is to find a folk song/story from her home town. We don't remember hearing one. Any ideas?

Re: Help for uni project
Posted by Rob basildon Email User on 17/8/2013, 8:53 pm
Hi there don't know if this helps but local basildon artist phil burdett was an interesting man with his song and documentary Memphis basildon. And also the saying ......you're be in hot water possibly came from here also folklore ...may be .thanks rob

11.  Sanatorium in Dry Street
Posted by Colin Humphrey Email User on 21/8/2013, 1:59 pm
I would dearly love to make contact with David Alexander or one of his family. In David's article on the West Ham Sanatorium, he mentions and has a photograph of my late fathers nephew Vic Bentley, sadly Vic died of TB in 1946 at the age of 18. To my knowledge there is only one other photograph of Vic in existance. Vic's father and elder brother Alf also died of TB within a couple of years of each other, such a tragedy. I live just a couple of miles away from the former sanatorium and visited the building very recently. One of the blocks is still standing as is the water tower, the bomb shelter is also intact. The staff house 'Wooton House' is currently undergoing some modernisation. I will be most grateful for any information on this subject.

Colin

12.  Jim Green
Posted by Andrea Ash (nee Pinnell) Email User on 6/9/2013, 2:20 pm
Can anyone forward the email address of Jim Green please? This is for Ken Page in Oz. Thanks.

13.  Burnt Mills car accident
Posted by beryl bull Email User on 16/9/2013, 11:01 pm
does anyone remember a girl being knocked down and killed on the nevendon road must be about sixty years ago. my brother says he remembers an old car in the field up there he saw as he came home from school and being told that was the car that knocked her down. also does anybody remember my father? he used to be an artist and painted a lot of advertising boards ie wars nurseries at burnt mills road and a kennels down rectory road I think it was called roselands? and had a wire haired terrier painted on the sign. he also painted the lions names over the tops of the cages for billy foyle, so im told,

Re: Burnt Mills car accident
Posted by Alan Email User on 24/9/2013, 9:03 pm
About 1959 ish burnt mills road just past and opposite the Gregley's home a young girl about eight Margaret Jennings she lived further down Burnt Mills in a house named Millgate (now demolished and new home built on site). Very sad I unfortunately came along just as the ambulance took her away I was on my way home from Craylands school my school buddy's John & David her brothers the car was upside down in the road! I lived in the area until around 1963 another girl Penny Mower was run over and killed by a bus opposite Nevendon School about 1953 another sad time I was playing with her only 30 mins before the accident I visit her grave at St Peters from time to time. Regards Alan

Posted by beryl Email User on 24/9/2013, 9:24 pm
thankyou for the response I will be able to tell my brother now as its always bugged him that he couldnt remember anything only the car being upside down, I wonder if he remembers the other girl. do you remember a house up burnt mills with a big rocking horse on the veranda? Iv always wondered about that house?

Posted by Alan Email User on 24/9/2013, 9:53 pm
Don't remember a Rocking Horse But if I took a guess at which house it would be the one opposite Reids Avenue. all gone now of course but that house to a young lad had a mystery about it.
There was not too many houses in the fifties and early sixties north of burnt Mills just fields until Archers fields now a huge industrial site on the south a few bungalows with large gardens now a huge Housing complex, the woods still there had a few scary times in there I could walk to Pitsea through the woods and down some unmade roads back of Briscoe road and come out by the Railway Hotel on way to Saturday morning Pictures at the Century Cinema some happy and scary times!
Regards Alan

Posted by beryl Email User on 25/9/2013, 9:17 pm
I lived on the S bend up Rectory road till I was five? next door but one from the bakers and behind another bungalow I think the farm opposite was called Wares. I came home from work one day from the industrial site and they were pulling our old bungalow down ,it was so sad ,but I didnt realise how small it was mum and dad raised 5 kiddies up in there and we left when mum had the sixth child, lovely times in tha bungalow The darling buds of may had nothing on us lot,,,,

Posted by Alan Email User on 25/9/2013, 10:41 pm
Good to hear, was it the bakers bit further up from Cecil drive I remember a couple of bungalows there delivered newspapers there about 1960 ish just past a house owned by a Mr Walton used bakers often and Kimptons further up on right also another shop opposite Kimptons but cannot remember the name good times born in Trenham Avenue fields all around lived in the area for bout 16 years changed so much now we left when Basildon Council compulsory purchased a lot of the property there shame. Badly handled, called progress I guess. good memories though.
Regards Alan

14.  Dave from Adelaide
Posted by mick oakley Email User on 21/10/2013, 2:48 pm
is that dave from adelaide s/a ???

Re: Dave from Adelaide
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 22/10/2013, 6:21 am
Hi young Mick good to hear from you, hope you are well and alls ok. Doreen and i are fine here in Adelaide sunny South Australia.cool.gif

Posted by mick oakley Email User on 5/11/2013, 10:52 am
hi dave glad all is well so much happened here clair passed 4years Hilary also 2years am now bringing up grandson russ my address is 14 matching green Basildon Essex ss142pb e/mail frisby2010@hotmail.co.uk phone ***** 526391 hope to hear from you soon x mick

Posted by dave Oakley Email User on 16/11/2013, 3:33 am
Hi MICK have sent you a couple of emails to your given email address,just wondering if you have received them,-- Dave O.confused.gif

15.  Jolly Friar public house
Posted by mick oakley Email User on 21/10/2013, 3:05 pm
any info on what year the pub was built?

Re: Jolly Friar public house
Posted by michael fruin Email User on 27/10/2013, 6:54 am
According to 'A Basildon Chronology' on this site, the Jolly Friar was built in 1955, the second new pub in Basildon - the Crane was built the previous year.
We moved into Danbury Down in 1955 and within a year (I was 15) I was drinking at the Friar and the Railway in Pitsea.
I particularly liked the Mann's Cream Label Stout in the Friar.
Mike Fruin Tasmania

Re: Jolly Friar public house
Posted by Pat Goldswain Email User on 28/11/2013, 6:26 pm
It was there when I was 9..that would be 58 I went to a firework display there and some little fellow put and sparkler in my face and burnt my eye!!!! Its okay..a doctor parent was there and dressed it..all well...

16.  Waterloo grille company
Posted by mick oakley Email User on 7/11/2013, 10:12 am
anyone out there who worked at waterloo ???

17.  St Marys Crescent, Pitsea
Posted by Beryl Lucas (nee Bull) Email User on 11/11/2013, 10:43 pm
does anybody remember our neighbours from St Marys Crescent, Pitsea. Mainly Christine Honour and Susan Honour, and Maisie Pain and her brothers, and Clifford Pitt and his brother Desmond and anybody else that lived on our estate late 50s and the 60s, am writing an account of that era on the estate and would love to hear your memories of that time Thank you

Re: St Marys Crescent, Pitsea
Posted by Beryl Lucas nee Bull Email User on 16/2/2014, 10:22 pm
I have found the pain family I was looking for and still am looking for the honour family ,,also looking for the Collings family who lived around the crescent before going off to Australia there was a Podgy Collins and I think the young ones name was Michael,,their father was a builder and they lived aT NO.109? opposite Mr and Mrs Harris and family (Stanley Harris) was the youngest son,,,info please

18.  Christmas Greetings
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 25/12/2013, 5:30 am
Once again i trust that everyone that is involved with this site will have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.cute.gif

Re: Christmas Greetings
Posted by Admin on 25/12/2013, 4:27 pm
A Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well Dave, and to everyone else who has contributed or just enjoys reading the posts or browsing through the main Basildon History pages.
All the very best for 2014.
Bill (Admin)

Click here for January - June 2013 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2014
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM