The original or first Langdon Hills school stands at the summit
of Crown Hill just beyond the church of St. Mary's and All Saints. It opened in 1860 and was
run by the National Society set up by the Church of England to provide schools. In 1903 the
Church of England took over its direct running.
The building was enlarged in 1882 and since closure in 1911,
when the new school opened, had been used as a private residence, though remaining the property of the church. The
schoolroom also doubled as a meeting place, being used by among others, the Parish Council.
headmistresses were Miss Ada Marsh, who left around August 1891, and Miss Pitt, who was appointed in 1895.
In 1907 the first proposals for a new school to serve the existing parishes of Little Burstead,
Lee Chapel, Laindon Hills and Laindon became known; the favoured location being somewhere near Laindon
Station. The school at that time was in poor condition and experiencing an increase in numbers which caused
H.M. Inspector of Schools to condemn the building. The new Council school eventually opened in 1911.
Sale of the
In 2001 after the last occupants moved out the church put the building, which
was now in need of renovation, up for sale. It sold for £130,000 and was sold again in 2006.
1962 it had a thatched roof.
On the outer brickwork there can be seen an engraved stone (L.H.S 1860),
the initials of which lay claim to its former usage. For many years a wooden nameplate adorned the front wall
with the words 'Old School House'.