Pitsea: The Market Domes
|Location: Pitsea Market
Year of photo: c.March 1969
Comments: One of the first photos of the new market.
|Location: Pitsea Market
Year of photo: c.June 1969
Comments: Early shot of the market following the decision to allow traditional outside stalls.
Pitsea Market - A brief history
The first Pitsea Market
was established on a site on the west side of Station Lane. Local history
books have documented its opening year as being 1925 but a story from the Essex Chronicle newspaper
from April 1924 gives mention to an under cover market at Station Lane. The same newspaper has an
advertisement from 2nd January 1925 where the market is mentioned so its quite likely the market
was in operation from 1924.
The market survived at this site until 1969 by which time it
had grown to 200 stalls. A typical hire charge in the late 1960s was 10/- (50p) a stall per
By the late 1960s two Basildon Development Corporation road projects; the long awaited A13 Vange
and Pitsea by-pass and the continuation of East Mayne (as South Mayne), were well under way. The
plans for the new roads involved the creation of two flyovers, a roundabout and a new link road. In
the plans the South Mayne flyover would cross the market site so the market was moved to a
temporary site on the former Howard's field on the south side of the High Road.
The market opened
at its new site on 19th February, 1969. Here at the new site the market was housed in four 30ft
high domes marked A to D. Each dome had an 80ft diameter and collectively were capable of
accommodating 172 stalls. Dome A was permanently covered and mainly for use by food sellers. It
also contained a canteen. A large 300 space car park was also provided. The domes were manufactured
in Sweden and Abstracta Construction Ltd., part of the North-Eastern Timber Group, were responsible
for their on-site construction.
The Wednesday and Saturday market was initially
held solely within the domes until permission was given to allow traditional outdoor stalls to be
used as well.
By the mid 1970s the corporation's regeneration of Pitsea had begun and this
involved the market vacating its temporary site on the former Howard's field to a new site behind
the Railway Hotel public house and Broadway North. In January 1978 the market opened at the new
site and three of the four domes were taken down. The fourth, Dome A, remained for a time before
that too was eventually taken down. The site is now a retail park and and commonly referred to
as the 'old market site'.
|Text researched and written by William Cox, 2013.|
Copyright © 2013, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved.
|P. Fishman||Fabrics, Wool, Cotton, Remnants
||J. Jimmick||Remnants and Materials|
||F.B. Lane||Fancy Goods, Paperware, Keys Cut|
|J. Mayer||Dress Materials, Linings, Piecegoods
||W.J. Manley and Co. Ltd.||Housecoats, Overalls, Stockings, Materials|
|Mr. and Mrs. Moore||Ladies' and Gentlemen's Wear Swimwear
||S. Van Proagh||Coats and Dresses|
|S. Cohen||Bridal and Evening Wear
|Mrs. P.L. Coleby||Children's Wear, Tights and Socks
||S. Cohen||Textiles, Trimmings|
|Barry's Grocery Store||Groceries
||R. Kindler||Toys, Novelties and Fancy Goods|
|A.D. Mackenzie||Greengrocery, Fresh Fruit
||Mary & Harry Ikin||Toiletries, Household Goods|
||A. Glen||Men's and Boys' Clothing|
|Arthur Sharp and Sons||Fish
||Mrs. J. Rush||New and Second Hand Clothing|
|A.J. Kimber||Café, Snacks "The cup that cheers"
||A. Krisman||Coats and Dresses|
|P. Everett||Fur Fabrics, Covers
||S. Makloaf||Carpets, Rugs, Pictures|
|Rondeau||The Sixpenny Wool Lady
||Mrs. M. Braham Millies of Basildon||Ladies' Wear|
|"Joyce Jevels"||All kinds of Jewellery (Also at Basildon)
||Mrs. J.M. Joyce||Children's Wear, Fabrics|
|M. Manheim||Woollens and Linings
||H.R. Prested||Pet Foods, Bird Seed|
|R.J. Oakes||Haberdashery, Drapery, Zips, Lace Buttons, etc.
||Max||Ladies' & Gentlemen's Wear, Nylon Shirts|
|P.F. Larman||Electrical, Hardware Tools, Fancy Goods
||H. Lucas||Men's Wear, Leathercloth, Bags Repairs|
|R. Statham||Fresh Fruit & Salads
||C.L. Bugbee||Children's Clothing, Coats, Dresses, Capes, Trouser Suits|
|M.C. Cohen||Groceries, Provisions, Canned Goods
||C. Stamp||China, Glass, Toys, Hardwear and Linen|
|Alf Cohen and Sons|
|Miscellaneous Sales Bargains for all!
||Mrs. G. Hardy||Electrical Goods, Lampshades (Table and Standards Lamps)|
|W. Wiseman||Ladies' & Gentlemen's Wear
||H. Tidswell||Gentlemen's Wear, Fur Fabric|
|M. Hickman||Floorcoverings and Cloth
|"Monty"||Dresses and Coats
|Schoab||Ladies' & Gentlemen's Knitwear, Underwear
|S. Greenbaum||Talza Millinery
|A.J. Bacon||Household Goods|
|* R. Statham greengrocers shop was at Bull Parade, 457 Clay Hill Road, Vange.|
* Millie's ladies' fashionwear shop was at 6 South Walk, Basildon from 1965.
* Howard's field. Prior to its use
as the new market site, the former field had been in the ownership of local businessman Harold Howard.
|Page added: 20/06/2013|
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs appearing on the Basildon History website, are the
sole property of Basildon History Online and are protected by copyrights and laws. You may not
modify, copy, reproduce, upload, transmit, republish, post, publicly display,
prepare derivative works based on, or distribute in any way Basildon History's own material
without first receiving written permission. You may download photographs, images and text
provided it is for your own personal non-commercial home use.