Former Basildon Street Names|
1) Dunton, Laindon and Langdon Hills A to M N to Y
Chapel, Barstable and Basildon A to M N to Y
1) Pitsea, Nevendon and
Vange A to M N to Y
In 1949 when
Basildon was designated a new town, the Government appointed a development corporation which was then given the task of
building the town and its road network.
In February 1951, two years after its formation, Basildon Development Corporation produced
a 'Master Plan' covering the designated area which received government approval later the same year.
years saw much change to the landscape of the area and in particular the
majority of populated regions, which were gradually cleared and redeveloped as modern housing
During this redevelopment many street names were lost or not used in subsequent
naming and have long since disappeared from the map, replaced by new names - although some
names were retained (e.g. Dry Street and Church Road) and can still be seen today.
In the 1990s Basildon has seen
new development take place and some of these former names have reappeared, though sometimes in new locations and with slight
changes to the original suffixes.
As well as former names reappearing, names introduced during the original development programme
have since been replaced with new names. This was seen most notably in Laindon
where the former Bluehouse housing estate was demolished to make way for new housing and in
Pitsea where the Crudens estate was given a facelift along with new street names.
The links at the top of the page lists some of these former names and the area to which they
Also included are street names introduced post 1949 that have since disappeared (e.g. Spurriers in Laindon),
or changed (e.g. Curzon Walk in Pitsea) and any that were amended (e.g. Gardiners Lane).
Note: Local maps may still list names in undeveloped or woodland
areas years after the last residential properties were demolished.