|
A Basildon Chronology |
 |
| The 1800s |
 |
|
1800 - 1824 1825 - 1849 1850 - 1874 1875 - 1899 |
 |
|
|
|
| 1875 - 1899 |
 |
| 1875 |
|
Harold George Howard, landowner, farmer and founder of Howard's Dairies born. Beginning in the 1920s he transformed the look of Pitsea with a number
of mock Tudor buildings, many of which survive to this day. He also bore the cost of the war memorial and in 1945 gifted the town a park as a Victory in
Europe memorial. His business, which had its headquarters at 265 London Road, Westcliff-on-Sea, had shops throughout the Basildon area and
beyond. He lived for many years at Blue House Farm in Pitsea and died on 7th June, 1961 aged 86 and is buried at St. Margaret's churchyard, Bowers
Gifford in a shared grave with his wife Rose Ethel. |
| 1877 |
2nd July |
St. Mary's and All Saints church in Langdon Hills opened. The new church, situated in the High
Road at the summit of Crown Hill, was built to replace a much earlier church called St. Mary
and All Saints which stands in nearby Old Church Hill. The new church was formally consecrated
by the Bishop of St. Albans; Thomas Legh Claughton, with the Ven. Archdeacon of Essex; The Venerable
Carew Antony St John-Mildmay also in attendance. The Rector, the Rev. Easeby Digby Cleaver was
the main financial contributor to its construction though the older church did continue to hold
irregular services for many years after. |
2nd August |
Laindon Board School in Church Hill, Laindon opened. The new school was built to replace a
small school run by the Puckle's Charity in the Priest's House at the west end of St. Nicholas
Church. It later became a Council school when Board schools were abolished in 1902. It was
later renamed St. Nicholas Lane Council School and then St. Nicholas Lane County Primary until
1957 when it became Laindon Park County Primary which it remains today. Mrs Harvey was the
first Headmistress. |
| 1878 |
2nd May |
Pitsea Cricket Club plays its first match. The game, played as an 8 a-side, was a two innings match made up of players
from within the club. |
| 1879 |
6th June |
Leslie Patrick Abercrombie (later Sir), 06/06/1879 - 23/03/1957, born. Patrick Abercrombie was
a town planner responsible for the County of London Plan (1943) and the Greater London Plan
(1944). These plans, known as the Abercrombie Plan, laid the foundation for the New Towns
Act, 1946 which enabled government to appoint development corporation's to create new towns, one
of which became Basildon. He was knighted in 1945. |
| 1880 |
|
Robert Leabon Curtis acquires the manor of Vange Hall. The purchase came with around 350 acres of land to the north and south of the Tilbury rail
route. Mr. Curtis from West Ham, who was lord of the manor and later Mayor of West Ham, established the Vange Brickfields and had a 750 ft well sunk
and a pit dug on the Vange Hall estate. The brickworks, which was built to the south of the railway line, produced up to 700 million bricks a year which
were loaded onto barges at a specially constructed wharf on Vange Creek. The brickfields had a depot at Stratford and an office in the Broadway, Plaistow,
Essex, shared with Curtis (G.E.) and Sharp, auctioneers. The works eventually closed and the hall was later demolished. The Vange Hall pit is now to the
centre of Basildon Golf Course. A short length of Brickfield Road remains, which before the A13 bypass led to the works over its own level crossing. |
| 1882 |
24th July |
London, Tilbury and Southend Railway Act 1882 receives Royal Assent. Amongst the proposals contained in the new Bill
is an extension to the existing railway from Barking to Pitsea via Upminster. The new line, which was double track throughout,
was completed in June 1888. |
| 1883 |
30th January |
St. Nicholas Church in Laindon re-opened to services following a restoration. Right Rev. the Lord
Bishop of St. Alban's, Thomas Claughton conducted the re-opening service with Rev. Canon John Matthew
Proctor, Rector of Laindon-cum-Basildon. |
11th October |
The cutting of the first turf of the planned direct Barking to Pitsea extension of the London, Tilbury
& Southend Railway. The new line opened in stages: Upminster (1885), East Horndon (1886) and
Laindon and Pitsea in June 1888 when the route was completed. |
| 1885 |
30th September |
Pitsea Mission Chapel opened. Reverend Albert M. Carter from Upminster Congregational Church gave
the opening sermon. This chapel, built at Gun Hill, London Road, Bowers Gifford at a cost of £417 5/- 8½d, is believed
to be the first permanent meeting place of the Congregational church within the Pitsea area. Prior
to this services were held in a small wooden building near Eversley Road. The church went on to
hold yearly anniversary celebrations which continued well into the 1900s as well as being registered from
8th September, 1910, for solemnizing marriages. Around 1927 a new church with seating for 500 was constructed
at Rectory Park Drive which survived to 1959. The church then moved to another new building at Honeypot Lane
in Fryerns where in 1972, following a union with the Presbyterian Church of England, it became the United Reformed
Church which it remains today. This church is now the Pitsea branch of the Elim Pentecostal. |
24th November - 18th December |
William Thomas Makins is elected to serve as Conservative Member of Parliament for the new Essex South Eastern
parliamentary constituency - including Basildon (Redistribution of Seats Act 1885). He won with a majority of
207. The general election held in November/December 1885 produced a hung parliament. The Liberal Party won the
most seats but were unable to secure an overall majority resulting in a minority government with the Irish Parliamentary
Party holding the balance of power between the Liberal and Conservative parties. The new constituency, created from parts of the former
South Essex division established in 1832, covered a wide area from Thurrock to Shoeburyness. It was abolished
in 1950 having lost some areas to new constituencies like Southend and Rochford. |
December |
Vange Board School in London Road opened. The new school complete with offices was built by Mr.
Francis Edward Woodhams of Sutton Street, Southend who submitted the lowest tender earlier in the
year. The architect was John Young of 3 Great Winchester Street, London, E.C.2. The school was
enlarged in the early 1900s when it became a council school. It is now Vange County Primary School. |
| 1886 |
|
Nevendon School in Nevendon Road, Nevendon opened. The small school for around 30 children was run by the National Society. It survived until 1927
when the new enlarged Nevendon Council School opened close by in Burnt Mills Road. The school was then renamed Old School House and became a
private residence until 1972, when it was demolished and the grounds were then left to nature. Prior to its opening, the Reverend William Mignoth Kerr,
who in 1850 took over at St. Peter's Church, established a school in the 17th century Tithe Barn in Nevendon Road. |
1st July - 27th July |
Frederick Carne Rasch is elected to serve as Conservative Member of Parliament for the Essex South Eastern
parliamentary constituency - including Basildon. He won with a majority 842. The general election of July 1886
produced a victory for the Conservative Party which then formed an informal coalition with the Liberal Unionist
Party, which remained on the opposition benches for the duration of the government. |
October |
Vange Mission in Bells Hill Road, Thurrock opened. This small church, built in part from
corrugated iron, was built and funded through the efforts of Mr. William Belcham, a Rayleigh man who moved
to Bells Hill Road, and many of the locals. It is run as a Free Church being undenominational
and Mr. Belcham became the first Superintendent. In 1912 the Mission was licensed to carry out
weddings. A Sunday school was also established. |
| 1888 |
|
Holy Cross Church in Church Road, Basildon restored by Joseph Peacock. |
|
A well was bored 444 feet (135m) below Laindon Railway Station of which the first 342 feet (104m)
was found to be London Clay. |
16th May |
County Electors Act, 1888 legislation receives Royal Assent. |
24th May |
An inspection was carried out over the newly completed section of the London, Tilbury & Southend
Railway between East Horndon (renamed West Horndon in 1949) & Pitsea. The original London
(Fenchurch Street) - Tilbury - Southend Railway (LTS) was constructed via Tilbury in the mid
1850s. A more direct route between Barking and Pitsea via Upminster and Laindon was begun in 1883
and completed when the line reached Pitsea in May 1888. At the same time a new station was
constructed at Laindon, while at Pitsea the existing station was rebuilt with two additional
platforms. The original terminus at Southend was extended to Shoeburyness, where a station was opened on 1/2/1884. |
1st June |
Laindon railway station opened as services on the new route begin. In 2023 the 'direct' route
celebrated 135 years of service and is now operated by C2C. |
13th August |
Local Government Act, 1888 legislation receives Royal Assent. |
| 1889 |
|
The Bull Inn public house in London Road, Pitsea rebuilt. The new public house replaced an earlier inn of timber construction
that may have dated from the 18th century. Sometime in the 1980s the name was changed to the Prohibition but has since
reverted back to the Bull. |
1st April |
Essex County Council formed. County councils were created by the Local Government Act 1888
with elected councillors, chosen by the electorate, and County Aldermans, chosen by those
elected. Prior to the Act various administrative functions were the responsibility of the
unelected county courts of quarter sessions. The council regularly held its meetings in London
and has since the late 1930s met at County Hall, Market Road, Chelmsford. |
| 1890 |
|
Members of the Campbell family establish a coal merchants business at Pitsea. The family, who originated
from Ireland, operated from a coal yard at Pitsea Station wharf and later expanded to include removals
and transportation of sand and ballast. In the 1920s John Campbell established a local passenger
bus service from the family home at Primrose Villa in Station Lane. In 1933 following his death
the business became J.W. Campbell & Sons Ltd and run by three of his sons, Richard, Jack and
Albert. Campbell's Motor Service, as they were known, also provided coach tours and a schools
service. The company was eventually bought out by Eastern National Omnibus Co. in 1956 but continued its coach tour business until 1971. |
| 1891 |
|
The British Explosive Syndicate establish an explosives factory at Pitsea. The factory, created
on former Pitsea Hall estate farmland, was in operation until around 1919 by which time it was managed
by the Nobel Explosives Company. It employed, amongst others, members of the local population and
was most likely the first factory in the area. The site is now owned by Basildon Council who established
Wat Tyler Country Park there in 1984. |
| 1892 |
4th July - 26th July |
Frederick Carne Rasch is elected to serve as Conservative Member of Parliament for the Essex South Eastern
parliamentary constituency - including Basildon. Majority 542. The General Election of July 1892
produced a hung parliament. The Conservative Party won the most seats but following a vote of
no confidence in August the Liberal Party formed a minority government with support from the
Irish Parliamentary Party. |
12th July |
An auction of freehold building land on the Laindon Station Estate was held. Bidding for the land,
which was described as undulating and comprised the 'North and Billericay section' including frontages to the
High Road, took place on the estate in a specially erected marquee where buyers were offered a 5% discount
if they paid cash within 2 months. Two more auctions were held on July 26th & August 9th bringing
the total overall plots sold to more than 1,000. |
| 1894 |
5th March |
Local Government Act, 1894 legislation receives Royal Assent. |
December |
Billericay Rural District Council formed following the introduction of the Local Government Act
1894. The council consisted of a chairman and councillors elected on a three year term. It
would survive until 1934 becoming the Billericay Urban District Council catering for
an ever increasing population, particularly in Laindon, whose affairs were then administered by
the council. The rural district contained the following parishes: Basildon, Brentwood (1894-99),
Bowers Gifford, Childerditch, Downham, Dunton, East Horndon, Great Burstead, Hutton, Ingrave,
Laindon, Lee Chapel, Little Burstead, Little Warley, Mountnessing, Nevendon, North Benfleet,
Pitsea, Ramsden Bellhouse, Ramsden Crays, Shenfield, South Weald, Vange, West Horndon and Wickford. |
December |
Orsett Rural District Council formed following the introduction of the Local Government Act
1894. The parish of Langdon Hills fell within its boundaries until 1934 when some parts transferred
to the new Billericay Urban District. Orsett R.D.C. survived to 1936 with some parishes becoming
part of a new Thurrock Urban District including the remainder of Langdon Hills. |
| 1895 |
|
Charles Edgar Lewis is appointed Clerk to the Billericay Rural District Council. Mr C. Edgar Lewis
held the post until 1934. |
|
Marsh Farm Farmhouse in Vange built. The house is located in Brickfield Road on the south side of the original Shoeburyness to London rail route. Access
is from a level crossing off the A13 London bound carriageway. |
1st January |
The first meeting of Billericay Rural District Council. Rev. David Jones Davies is elected
chairman and Mr. William Squier as vice-chairman. Rev. Davies was previously chairman of the
Billericay Board of Guardians, on which Mr. Squier also served, and rector at All Saints church
in North Benfleet. He remained in the post to 1906 also serving as a Justice of the Peace. |
3rd January |
The first meeting of Orsett Rural District Council. Mr. Samuel Westwood Squier is elected chairman. He was
also a serving county councillor and Justice of the Peace. |
13th July - 7th August |
Frederick Carne Rasch is elected to serve as Conservative Member of Parliament for the Essex South Eastern
parliamentary constituency - including Basildon. Majority 1,940. The July–August 1895 general election
resulted in a victory for the Conservative Party and its coalition partner, the Liberal Unionist Party. |
| 1896 |
|
The Laindon Hotel in High Road, Laindon built. Seabrooke & Sons brewers of Grays provided the
ale until Charrington's took over in 1929. It closed in the late 1980s by which time it had
become The Laindon and following a fire was demolished in April 1991. Following demolition the site
was left to nature for over 21 years but was cleared in 2012 in preparation for future development. Following
several unsuccessful planning applications for a Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) 'drive thru' owners Laindon Holdings
eventually, despite local protests, succeeded and the restaurant opened shortly after. |
30th June |
A sale of freehold land for use as building plots on the Laindon Station Estate is held. This sale, which comprised 150 plots,
was for the remaining unsold plots on the 'middle section' of the estate adjoining a proposed Essex racecourse. |
| 1897 |
|
First post office and telegraph office at Pitsea opened by Herbert John Cook. The office's were both housed within Mr. Cook's outfitters and drapery shop
in the former Bedlam Row in Broadway on the south side of London Road. In the early 1900s the timber clad shop frontage was greatly enlarged as the
business expanded and included a V.R. post office letter box set into its outer face. Sometime around the 1920s the post office moved to the north side of
London Road into Arthur Long's stores where it remained until the 1930s when that store relocated to the former Railway Hotel public house. By the 1960s
the post office was transferred to the new Broadway North building where it remained until the early 1990s when it moved again to its present location
within the Tesco superstore at Hazelmere off Station Lane. |
|
Hope Hall Baptist Chapel in Nevendon Road (later Timberlog Lane and now Clay Hill Road), Vange built. The small hall of wooden
construction stood close to Gordon Hall. It was registered on 22nd March, 1899 for the solemnisation of marriages. |
|
Pitsea Athletic Football Club founded. The club, which was formed by employees at the Pitsea factory of the British
Explosives Syndicate, played its opening fixtures in September. In 1898 the club gained affiliation to the Essex County Football
Association and is known to have participated in the South Essex League in the early 1900s to at least 1910. A later team
called Pitsea United is known to have formed around 1920 but is not thought to be associated with the explosives factory. |
18th October |
An auction of freehold land in Langdon Hills was held. To promote the event free railway tickets,
valid from Fenchurch Street to Laindon including the return journey, were given away by local estate
agents. Plot prices ranged from £11.10s to £70.10s. Various other auctions took place that year;
including some at Pitsea. |
| 1898 |
|
A well at Hovells Farm, Fobbing is sunk by its tenant Mr. King. The well's water, it was later discovered, had medicinal qualities and the land on which it was
dug was later purchased by a publican called Edwin Cash. From 1919 he created a briefly successful commercial enterprise from it, where it was sold as
Farmer Cash's Famous Medicinal Vange Water, despite the well not actually being in Vange, although it was on the Vange Hall Estate. |
|
Fairview Hall in Timberlog Lane, Basildon built. The large tall standing hall complete with a short spire stood on the west side of the road between the
Basildon railway overbridge and Fairview Road. It was used for many activities and survived to around 1920. |
| |
Text researched and written by William Cox, 2001 with revisions and additions 2002-2017.
Copyright © 2001-2017, B. Cox - Basildon History Online. All rights reserved. |
Acknowledgements and Bibliography
Contact: E-Mail |
 |