blank.gifUnion Jack Flagblank.gifSt. George Cross flag blank.gifThe emblem for the county of Essex History Forum | Site Map   
Basildon History Online Share/Bookmark
blank.gif
    You are here: Forum Archive

blank.gif
Forum Archive
blank.gif
2008 Forum Threads - January to June

All forum threads posted between 2002 and 2013 have now been removed from the original forum (message board) and archived under their original entry title.

It is not possible to post a direct response to these entries but you can use the contact page to post a message, which can then be added to an archived entry.

You can of course begin a new thread at any time by posting to the current forum.

View or post to the current forum

2008 entries
Click here for July - December entries.
Please be aware contact e-mail addresses of some entries may no longer be valid.

01) Mopsies Road, Basildon
02) Langdon Hills Army Camp - 4 replies.
03) Laindon War Memorial - 1 reply.
04) Family History, Osborne Road, Pitsea - 2 replies.
05) Basildon Hall - 2 replies.
06) Mike Smith, lead singer of the Dave Clark 5 - 12 replies.
07) Markhams Chase playing fields - 7 replies.
08) Chase - Open Meeting
09) Famous Basildonians - 2 replies.
10) Basildon magic memories - 11 replies.
11) Lee Chapel South Community Centre
12) 1970's Fryerns Sunday afternoon disco - 3 replies.
13) Langdon Hills Family History - Townsends - 2 replies.
14) Clock Man - Town Centre, Basildon - 1 reply.
15) Adventure Playground
16) Laindon Memorial Hall - 4 replies.
17) Adventure Playground, Church Road (off Whitmore Way 1970's) - 2 replies.
18) Wrenns---60s workplace - 3 replies.
19) S. E. M. - South Essex Motors
20) Twins
21) Basildon Stock Cars
22) Bus Drivers or Conductors - 6 replies.
23) Rotary Hoes & Brown and Tawse at West Horndon - 9 replies.
24) Stock Car Racing - 2 replies.
25) Double Six Darts' Team - 1 reply.
26) Brockwell's of Laindon - 4 replies.
27) Good old days - Redgrave Road, Vange - 2 replies.
blank.gif
1.  Mopsies Road, Basildon
Posted by Tucker Email User on 21/1/2008, 1:51 pm
My great grandmother Mrs Mary Millard and her husband John lived at OTRANTO LODGE MOPSIES ROAD BASILDON UNTIL HER DEATH IN 1948.
I know that the self build bungalows in this area were all compulsory purchased for the building of Basildon New Town. I have been trying to find out more about this area ie when and how these plots of land were originally bought and when the area was redevloped.
As a child my family stayed at a Chicken Farm in Church Road belonging to a William Buckley which was also purchased to be part of the redevelopment. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

2.  Langdon Hills Army Camp
Posted by craftsman Email User on 23/1/2008, 4:37 pm
Anybody have any memories of the army camp located in Langdon hills in the early 50s. I was stationed there a short while! AB............

Re: Langdon Hills Army Camp
Posted by Michael Evans Email User on 25/1/2008, 2:52 pm
I remember the army camp in the Hills. I was demobbed from the Royal Artillery in 1957, after serving my National Service in Cyprus. While working for the North Thames Gas Board, I had to do some work at the camp when I ran into one of my old Sergeants, who I remember as a mean S.O.B. I also became friends with a couple of the soldiers there who would come to my house and work on our motorbikes, one of those guys married a local girl and another, Ken Appleby, was killed riding his bike near the camp. My other memories are virtually none.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 26/1/2008, 12:06 am
See the photo's of Langdon Hills.

Posted by Margaret Hickman Email User on 25/3/2008, 12:34 am
I remember going dancing at the Kursaal, meeting soldiers at the dance who then had to walk from Pitsea Station to the wilds of Vange because the buses had stopped.

Posted by ken Page Email User on 18/7/2008, 12:52 pm
Where we lived on Berry Park estate we could hear the sargents drilling the blokes in the early mornings, my old man was an ex marine and he used to laugh when he heard it, "poor buggers" he used to say, Ken

3.  Laindon War Memorial
Posted by Ron Francis Email User on 3/2/2008, 7:38 pm
Help is requested to locate the names of all those who fell in the two World Wars and were recorded on a plaque of some sort that disappeared when the War Memorial was moved from the front of the Memorial Hall in Laindon High Road in the 1970's to its present location at Laindon Centre. The names are needed to ensure they are replaced where they belong with the War Memorial.
Many thanks.
Basildon & Laindon Branch. Royal British Legion.

Re: Laindon War Memorial
Posted by Fred Rand Email User on 27/6/2008, 11:56 am
Hi Ron, Cant supply you with any names but I do remember the Memorial being taken to the Barleylands Council depot for safe keeping perhaps they can shed some light on what happened to the Plaque. Although I now live in Norfolk I still care about old Laindon, I used to live on the Berry Park Est known as Plotlands.
Hope you have some success. Fred Rand.

4.  Family History, Osborne Road, Pitsea
Posted by Will Smith Email User on 15/2/2008, 8:37 pm
Smith family at 3 Osborne Road, Pitsea. I once lived at this address between 1951 and 52 and visited there once during 1959. My Grandmother and my parents lived at the address along with other family members. The house no longer exists. I believe that my grandfather also lived at the address but died in 1945 and is buried in South Benfleet. His name, I believe, was Francis
George Smith. His wife was Agnes. I am anxious to trace family members. If you can help, please contact me. Thanks. Will

Re: Family History, Osborne Road, Pitsea
Posted by Valerie Wilson Email User on 29/3/2008, 10:50 am
Hi will i lived in church road 147 which was just the other side of the bridge... I do know there was a George and beetie smith but they lived down near the town centre, I will ask my brother if he remembers as he is 3 years older than me... there was a family by the surname of stokes and they lived half way up osbourne road and were there from 1956 perhaps this might help... Good luck with the search i am doing the same... try going through friendsreunited on the web it,s great, because you can go into school,s and road,s etc. take care, valerie

Re: Family History, Osborne Road, Pitsea
Posted by Will Smith Email User on 12/6/2008, 11:05 pm
Hi Val. Sorry I haven't got back to you until now. I have gone to great lengths to try to trace my Smith family but they are proving very elusive. I have full details of all of them on genes reunited but they remain apparently undetectable. Drop me an email if you have aquired any further info. Thanks, Will

5.  Basildon Hall
Posted by Richard Email User on 19/2/2008, 11:39 pm
My 6x great grandfather was born in Basildon about 1767. HIS parents are found to be lodging "Lodgers at Basildon Hall". If anyone knows of Claxon or Clarkson families in this area from this time period, I would like to hear from them.
Richard
New Jersey

Re: Basildon Hall
Posted by Chris Harrison Email User on 3/4/2008, 9:06 pm
Sorry but this does not answer you question relating to surnames but I'm not sure if your interested I can point you to the location where Basildon Hall was. You could try Holy Cross church or St Nicholas church in your search as these are the 2 nearest parish churches which date back to well before the 18th century.

I used to live near where it was and although nothing remains of it you can still see the outlines of the building in the summer and the moat which surrounded it is still there. It's now a small play park / field on a cul-de-sac called East Thorpe. If you google map East Thorpe, Basildon, you'll see it there between the railway line and the row of houses running east west to the north of the line.

Re: Basildon Hall
Posted by Richard Email User on 7/7/2008, 2:56 am
Thanks very much !
Rich

6.  Mike Smith, lead singer of the Dave Clark 5
Posted by Memory Man on 29/2/2008, 3:08 pm
Heard the sad news that Mike Smith passed away this morning, he was the lead singer with the Dave Clark Five who were resident band at the Locarno Basildon in the sixties R.I.P.

Re: Mike Smith, lead singer of the Dave Clark 5
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 1/3/2008, 4:26 am
sad.gifread that myself today adelaide time memory man, im sure there are many here in aussie that fondly remember dave and the group at the locarno--a true icon of british 60s rock and roll,--dave oakley.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 7/3/2008, 11:13 am
Very Sad news indeed. I must admit that despite being a man, I shed a few tears. I am Glad All Over to have seen them play at the Locarno and to this day, I still have their singles, an ep, albums, video and cd.

Posted by Valerie Wilson Email User on 29/3/2008, 12:29 pm
I too have my single glad all over so the nice thing is he will live for ever... I can see myself driving my mum and dad mad playing my record over and over again. valerie.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 31/3/2008, 10:59 pm
I must drive any passenger mad in our car. I keep playing their cd.

Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 6/4/2008, 11:01 am
hi all --- well remember frantically stamping my foot in time with the line "im glad all over" on the basildon mecca floor-- the poop 0oops pop music churned out today leaves a lot to be desired eh?-- dave o.confused.gif

Posted by Alan Wickens Email User on 8/6/2008, 9:29 pm
I hi,
I have the toffee hammer of Dennis Payton before he became famous with the Dave Clark Five. I took over his job with Reliance Controls in Walthamstow and the hammer still has his initials on it.
Best regards,

Alan.

Posted by Shirley Crosbie Email User on 5/7/2008, 6:16 pm
I started work at the Locarno Ballroom in the box office on the last weekend Dave Clark was the resident band. I nearly died from shock when I saw the queue to get in that first night, it went right round the bus station to the fish and chip shop. I worked in the box office from 1964-1970 and have many happy memories of working there. In fact I met my 2nd husband there, and this August we will be celebrating 40 years together. I am in contact with 3 of the under managers from my time there, Tony Dow, John Porter and Jimmy Vail. My husband went on to open a mobile butchers, Rays Mobile Butchers, that served Laindon and Langdon Hills. We moved to Norfolk in 1989 after many happy years in Basildon. Our son and daughter Sharon and John both attended Lee Chapel South school and later Woodlands. Sadly our son passed away this March aged 44 (from first marriage) and it has been a sad time for us. We received so many cards and phone calls following his death from friends and neighbours from Basildon it was a great comfort. Would like to hear from anyone who worked at the Locarno during my years there.

Posted by Mick Email User on 5/10/2008, 1:55 pm
What days they were. I was introduced to 'The Mecca' by my cousin Brian Baylis, a contributor here, back in '62. DC5 were just the house band then and I often relate to people about those days, about speaking to the band like they were mates and remembering the late great Mike Smith muttering obscenities when trying to repair a malfuctioning footpedal. Great days

Posted by Mick on 6/10/2008, 9:16 pm
Who remembers the 5 doing 'Half Time'? It was their showstopper and we all hope it would be the follow up to Glad All Over, but because it was an instrumental, their management had other ideas, hence Bits And Pieces. Did it ever appear on any album or e.p.? Don't think so. Shame. While we are at the Locarno, how many of you ladies out there remember and were responsible for back in '63, pulling the lead singer of the Toggery Five off the stage and forcing yourselves on his person? You brazen hussies, what great days they were.

Posted by Frank Young Email User on 18/10/2008, 2:15 pm
I was that lead singer dragged off the stage at the Locarno, Basildon. Whilst with the Toggery 5. Now living in the sun in Fuerteventura.

frankyoung.info

Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 28/2/2010, 4:28 pm
In the late 1960s I worked at the Century Cinema in Pitsea. To boost our audience on a Sunday we put bands on stage. One of these groups was a group called The Expresso Five they got very popular. They started getting bookings and moved to Basildon Locarno and renamed themselves The Dave Clark Five. Is that right Dave?

Posted by Dave Oakley on 1/3/2010, 5:28 am
HI JACK, according to the Shirley Crosby posting above you, the Dave Clark Five were at the Locarno until sometime IN 64, I dont know about the name change though, maybe someone else can remember and help us out--regards Dave O.happy.gif

7.  Markhams Chase playing fields
Posted by David Lea-Jackson Email User on 12/3/2008, 3:49 pm
Our property overlooks the playing fields and during the winter months, when snow is on the ground, you can see the outline of building foundations, they also appear during the summer months once the ground has been baked hard.
I have made enquiries with the Local Authority but they were not able to help. The area I refer to is just before Janet Duke school.
I trust someone has the answer to a puzzle that has intrigued me for many years.

Re: Markhams Chase playing fields
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 18/3/2008, 4:11 pm
You don't say exactly which side of the school, but from what I remember, there was a number of homes on either side and prior to Basildon being built up. I do hope this is of some help.

Posted by Rob Email User on 20/3/2008, 7:29 pm
hi david i went to school with duncan not many people with a surname like yours. with regard to your outline my arial foto of this area c1962 shows only 1 largish house nr where you are talking about so it could be the foundations to this regards rob wood

Posted by David Lea-Jackson on 23/3/2008, 5:17 pm
Rob/Brian,
thanks for the reply. The snow is on the ground and there it is again. Two out lines infact, quite large backing onto the properties in Great Knightleys, Markhams Chase end.
Many Thanks,
David L-J.

Posted by Anne Email User on 16/4/2008, 8:34 am
I used to go to Janet Duke school in the 60's.
I remember a little row of shops directly opposite our school and at the heel of St Nicholas School playing fields stood another junior school - Chowdhary. So many schools then.
Towards Blue House junior and infant School at the other end of Markhams Chase playing fields was a play centre that stayed open to all comers into mid evening where kids of all ages went to play ping pong, or borrow stilts and balls, to paint and use board games. It was there still in the 70's..I don't know if it has gone now.
I drive home sometimes to walk the same streets. I cry every time.

Posted by Alan Wickens Email User on 8/6/2008, 9:48 pm
Hi,

I used to go to Markhams Chase Primary School in the early "50's when Janet Duke was the headmistress. Since Basildon came I have no idea what has happened to the area but I only know what a wonderful time I had there. For part of the time we were in an annex near the railway crossing with Miss Whitley. We went to school through the wheat fields from Laindon. Life was so different then. I have no idea what has happened recently but thought you ought to know what it was like all those years ago.

Alan.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 11/6/2008, 4:57 pm
Hi Alan, I too started in Miss Whitley's class and 1951. I recently heard Miss Pike the music teacher is still about.

Posted by Peter Hudson Email User on 8/11/2009, 2:48 pm
i seem to remember that the buildings were attached to blue house farm. the building was still there in the late sixties or seventies

8.  Chase - Open Meeting
Posted by Susan Randle Email User on 20/3/2008, 5:19 pm
CHASE Cultural Heritage for all in South Essex, (the organisation that came out of the Gloucester Park Swimming pool meeting held last year) are organising another public meeting to find out what arts provision is wanted by Basildonians. The Council have asked us to be the conduit for all the clubs, and associations in the area, so we have organised another meeting at the Pastoral Centre of St. Martins Church, Church Walk (next to M & S). It is on May 20th at 7pm. If you are at all interested in the Arts of any sort please come.
Sue Randle secretary of CHASE

9.  Famous Basildonians
Posted by Susan Randle Email User on 20/3/2008, 7:32 pm
There is a list of famous people who lived or had anything to do with Basildon on
https://www.myspace.com/culturalheritage.
Sue Randle

Re: Famous Basildonians
Posted by Fred Rand Email User on 24/6/2008, 7:50 pm
Just one that I know for sure came from Basildon is Alison Moyet, she was born in 14 Butneys where I lived when thay moved out.

Re: Famous Basildonians
Posted by Nobby Email User on 24/6/2009, 9:22 pm
That's why I was in the same infant school class at Ghyllgrove School as her older sister in 1964 then (Mrs. Bruce was the teacher as far as I remember).

10.  Basildon magic memories
Posted by Valerie Wilson Email User on 29/3/2008, 11:22 am
Hi am not sure who will read this but Basildon holds wonderful memories for me. Having moved to Basildon in 1956-57 i feel i grew up with the town. The fun watching everything being built and new people arriving... Lifetime friendship's were made and they were the days when no wall's were needed around your gardens... I took part in everything that was going on and i am sure by the time i left there were more than a few people glad to see me go... However like many origanal people from Basildon who left for one reason or another a major part of my heart is still in my old home town... To all still there i send my best wishes and i hold on strong to my memories of friends of all ages and Basildon in the good old day's bye for now until in my dreams i return... Valerie Wilson (valeriewilson78@yahoo.co.uk)

Re: Basildon magic memories
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 30/3/2008, 6:35 am
hi valerie welcome to the message board maybe by sharing a few of your memories you will jog some of ours--dave oakley -good old basildon 1961-71.cute.gif

Posted by Valerie Wilson Email User on 30/3/2008, 2:28 pm
Hi there what about good old Basildon carnival, All the fun getting ready and taking part... What part of basildon did you live Dave?

Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 31/3/2008, 9:24 am
hi valarie i lived in little spenders opposite the double six--litle spenders backed onto holy cross church and the fishing club and moat.happy.gif --regards dave o.

Posted by Valerie Wilson Email User on 1/4/2008, 12:58 am
Hi Dave. Well i must get the map up of Basildon and remind myself just where the double six was, In fact i only found out that the same double six was pulled down and apartments were built. i often take myself for a wonder around the roads in my mind and i love the warm thoughts of home... Valerie

Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 2/4/2008, 6:45 am
the double six was opposite the shops and library along whitmore way -- one of the shops there was peachey bros greengrocers where i worked for a while plus all of their other shops around basildon and laindon in the 60s-- dave o.cute.gif

Posted by Ex Fairhouse Email User on 7/4/2008, 2:27 pm
Dave, valerie
Hi, I'm a newby here. Yes I remember the Double six, then I think it changed to the flying childers and then back again to double six.
I also worked in Peacheys during summer hols in 1965 or 66. I can still remember ma peachey at the front by the door with her blue rinse hair.
Do you remember the old barn up church road? and rectory road before they built the tractor plant? Those were the days! Scrumping all day and then getting chased away by the farmers!
Think I need to sit and try to get my memory in order, there's so much to tell.
Do you remember "Georges" club, another highlight from the 60's?
regards

Posted by Margaret Hickman Email User on 15/4/2008, 8:30 pm
The late forties and very early fifties were the best times for Basildon, you still had lots of green fields, Campbells buses with their wooden seats struggled up the hill from Pitsea Station. The war memorial was in the centre of Pitsea not hidden away in a park as it is now. Sharps fish shop in Pitsea High Street where we got fish and chips after the cinema and then the long trek home to Basildon for some people - yes they really were fitter and walked miles. I used to walk from Craylands School (why did they shut that?) to Pitsea just to walk home with friends. In Basildon many people lived in unmade roads and helped each other, I remember my Aunty's house, outside toilet with squares of News of the World hung on a hook so you could read while you waited

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 11/6/2008, 4:55 pm
My old classmate Tony James also worked for Peacheys. In fact I am still in touch with him.

Posted by Mike Fruin Email User on 24/9/2008, 12:30 pm
I lived in Danbury Down from 1954 - 1958.
I had a friend in Little Spenders called Maureen Lake. Anyone remember her?

Posted by Lin V Email User on 30/9/2008, 8:01 pm
Wow, this must be the Peachey's Club. Is Valerie Wilson the sister of Stephen Wilson who also worked at Peaches in the 60's. I went to Manor School in Church Road.happy.gif

Posted by Paula Email User on 24/1/2010, 12:00 am
Hi everyone - came across this fascinating website purely by accident. I was born St Andrews hospital, Billericay 1964 and lived in Basildon till 1983. I have many memories of growing up there and I'll pick the brains of my parents (who moved to Basildon in 1957) and my 3 older siblings. Will keep an eye out for anything I can help with.
Best Wishes
Paula Davies.

11.  Lee Chapel South Community Centre
Posted by Lynda on 3/4/2008, 4:55 pm
Hi, i moved from Basildon years ago. But does anyone remember back in the 60's when the Rolling Stone Bill Wyman opened a fete at the Lee Chapel South Community Centre? I was very young at the time and remembered being pulled out of the crowd to sit on the edge of the stage with Bill's young son (about the same age as myself). I could not understand what all the screaming was about.

12.  1970's Fryerns Sunday afternoon disco
Posted by Lynda on 19/4/2008, 2:42 pm
Does anybody remember the Sunday afternoon disco in the Fryerns Community centre opposite the Double Six, in the early 70'S? We all wore our tank tops and wore gorgoeus groovy fly away collars!

Re: 1970's Fryerns Sunday afternoon disco
Posted by Martin Twelftree Email User on 27/4/2008, 8:58 pm
YES I REMEMBER DANCING TO "LILY THE PINK" THE SCAFFOLD. WHICH WAS BACK IN 1968. IT USED TO GET REALLY PACKED OUT THEN.
I THINK THE DISCO WAS " DISCOTRONIC " AND THE D.J. WAS MIKE PETERS AND ANOTHER GUY WHO WORKED IN GODFREYS IN THE TOWN. CAN'T REMEMBER WHY IT CLOSED THAY WERE GOOD SUNDAY NIGHT WITH NO TROUBLE.

Posted by Lynda on 2/5/2008, 6:41 pm
Hi Martin, i was only 10 then, but i used to go to the Disco when i was about 12-13 years old in the 70's. We used to dance to T.Rex, Sweet, Slade and Dave and Ansell Collins (Double Barrel and Monkey Spanner) Oh and not forgetting good old Johnny Reggae, who can forget that?

Posted by Alison on 29/9/2008, 8:16 am
I think it was called 4 O Clock rock or something like that. It was really good.

13.  Langdon Hills Family History - Townsends
Posted by Louise Mumford Email User on 30/4/2008, 9:50 pm
Hi,
I have discovered that far from being entirely a product of the North as I had thought, one of my great-great grandfathers was born in Langdon Hills. He was James Henry Townsend, son of John (born Horndon-on-the-Hill) and Sarah (born Vange), and had eight brothers and sisters.
Since my great grandfather seems totally to have buried his Townsend ancestry, I would be very glad to hear from any other Townsend descendents from Langdon Hills who might know some more about the family. I haven't got any further back, as the church records for Horndon aren't on the internet

Louise

Re: Langdon Hills Family History - Townsends
Posted by Mary Saunderson Email User on 9/8/2008, 8:07 am
hi louise,
have just read your message regarding the townsend family, of Langdon Hills.
As a child in that area, our next door neighbours were Jim and Kathy Townsend, who ran one of the local greengrocers shops in Laindon, (an adjoinig village). They had two children, a boy, also jim, and a girl, Christine.
They lived at 2, Bristow Road, Langdon hills, until the late '50's, when the Basildon Development Corporation demolished the row of houses for rebuilding.
The younger Jim, Still runs a florist stall, in Basildon, at the back of the Argos Building, and can be found there most days.
Hope this helps your research,
regards,
mary

Re: Langdon Hills Family History - Townsends
Posted by Mike Burchett Email User on 17/12/2008, 11:49 pm
Mary - are you sure the son was Jim? I thought his name was Pete. We lived two doors away from the Townsends when they lived in Berry Lane (now Great Berry Lane). Inbetween us was Frank and Stella ... which house were you?

14.  Clock Man - Town Centre, Basildon
Posted by Lynda on 2/5/2008, 6:32 pm
Does anyone remember the old man who used to play the accordian under the pickled onion clock opposite John Waltons? Sometimes his little wife used to stand by his side, they were so sweet!

Re: Clock Man - Town Centre, Basildon
Posted by Jess Pearce Email User on 5/6/2009, 1:17 pm
Hi yes he was blind and had a little money bag attached to it. I was always amazed at the fact that he could hear me coming to put money in it and he would bend right down to me and always called me madam!!

15.  Adventure Playground
Posted by Alan Wickens Email User on 8/6/2008, 9:20 pm
Hi,
I am trying to find my assistant on an adventure playground off Whitmore Way in the early 1970's. The reason is she had photos of the tower we both built on the playground. She was a maths teacher at (I think!) Fryerns Comprehensive. The tower was burnt down by vandals on one 5th of November.

Can anyone help to retrieve those photos.

Alan.errr.gif

16.  Laindon Memorial Hall
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 12/6/2008, 9:13 pm
How many readers on here remember the Laindon Memorial Hall? Oh the times Mum and Dad took my sister, brother and me there to watch one of the productions put on by 'The Revellers' and run by the late Fred Penson Snr. I am still in contact with Fred Jnr and have mentioned to him about these shows. They truly were Entertainment and far better than some of the rubbish on the television today.

On the night of the Dagenham Rail Crash and Thursday 30th January 1958, 'The Revellers' had another production on and during the break, a lady came in to the kitchen area and told everybody of this crash.

On a visit to the Photographic Exhibition held at Laindon Library on 26th April this year with my now widowed Father, I was browsing through some copies of a Basildon Standard and dated September 1954. As I turned one page over, I saw a photograph of some people attending another function in the Memorial Hall in the August. Upon recognising the family in this photograph, I called my Dad over to look at it. He said: "That looks a bit like me." I then told him: "That's because it is you, with Mum, Marlene (my sister) and me." Sadly, I doubt we can get a copy of this, but I would like a copy of the photograph of the Hall as on display at this Exhibition.

Re: Laindon Memorial Hall
Posted by Jose Bowen Email User on 8/7/2008, 11:30 am
Yes I remember the Laindon Memorial Hall and have a photo of it somewere and I do remember Fred Penson Jnr very well please get in contact at email address above. Would be lovely to catch up I am in Australia now and have been 45 yaers. Have emailed some people from the past it's great to do so, more would been even better. Thanks Jo. Morris now.

Posted by Ken Page Email User on 18/7/2008, 12:37 pm
Gday Brian, I recall going to the Memorial Hall reviews put on by the revellers, young Freddy Penson used to star in most of them, I believe he did a fair rendition of Ralph Readers "riding along on the crest of a wave". Re the Dagenham train crash; my brother used to get that train home every night and travel with our neighbour a Mr Theobald, that night Peter got an earlier train but poor Mr T. got killed, luck was on our family's side that night for sure, Peter's nearly 70 now, regards Ken from Australia

Posted by Jan Wright Email User on 6/3/2009, 6:09 pm
Just found this site and enjoyed reading all the comments. Lived in Laindon - Dunton Road, 1955 til 1966. I went tap and ballet dancing at the Memorial Hall every Saturday morning. Laindon is nothing like it was - even my secondary school has gone now. They were Good ol' days.

Posted by Jean Davison Email User on 14/4/2010, 10:11 pm
Hi wonder if anyone remembers my mother in law Dorothy Humberstone, Laindon. She used to entertain "the revellers" would love to pass on any messages to her. regards Jean.x

17.  Adventure Playground, Church Road (off Whitmore Way 1970's)
Posted by Alan Wickens Email User on 16/6/2008, 10:28 pm
I am trying to trace my assistnt Jackie (Jaquie) who I think was a Maths teacher at Fryerns School. She has photos of the tower we built on the adventure playground. It was run by a committee chaired by a local doctor.

If anyone has any knowledge of this adventure playground would they please contact me. My email address is: wickens@otenet.gr.

I would be most grateful

Alan Wickens.

Re: Adventure Playground, Church Road (off Whitmore Way 1970's)
Posted by Paul Finucane Email User on 19/5/2009, 11:18 pm
i remember having a great time there and the smell of burning wood!

If I remember the northover family had something to do with it and some group of people or maybe a club called the woodcraft folk?

Re: Adventure Playground, Church Road (off Whitmore Way 1970's)
Posted by Jess Pearce Email User on 5/6/2009, 1:22 pm
Hi, my mum was the first district headman for the 'Folk! We were the Higginson family. My dad used to run the venturers the teenage group, and we had several school groups including Swan Mead, Greensted, The Gordon Hall, Bryn Juniors, Northlands, and Pitsea too. Get in touch have many happy memories with my dad as a teenager in the venturers. Went all over the country camping etc. Best wishes grin.gif

18.  Wrenns---60s workplace
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 19/6/2008, 10:25 am
Just wondering if there is anyone linked to this message board who remembers WRENNS the model railway and racecar manufacturer of the 60s---.confused.gif Dave Oakley

Re: Wrenns---60s workplace
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 21/6/2008, 12:24 am
Cor, I remember Wrenn Dave and Thank you for the memory of them.

Back in the 1960's, I actually applied for a job with them, but never got one much to my disappointment. Being the Rail Enthusiast that I am, I would have been extremely happy working for them.

In the 1980's and when married, my then wife bought me a Wrenn MALLARD that I have treasured since and mainly because this is my all-time favourite loco.

Thank you so much again for the memory link.

Posted by Jim Green Email User on 19/1/2009, 3:54 pm
Hello Dave, I used to be the Postman who delivered parcels to Wrenns on the No.1 industrial site. I collected all the Wrenn Formula 152 cars and most of the track too and had many a fine time playing with my kids. The manager there kept me informed of any new models and let me have them on discount. Can't remember the name of the crescent where Wrenns was but it was just off Honywood Road. Happy days mate !!!!

Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 21/1/2009, 6:27 am
Hi jim cute.gif If my memory serves me correct wrenns were located in Bowlers Croft. For a while there i worked in the repair department, any cars sent back from customers were fixed there and then run around a track for awhile to check them out. Not a bad job for a 16-17 year old.-- GOOD FUN.--- REGARDS DAVE O.

19.  S. E. M. - South Essex Motors
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 21/6/2008, 12:47 am
Back in 1965/6 I worked for SEM and as a Petrol Pump Attendant. What days they were, but sadly I left there after a dispute with another employee who claimed she was suddenly a Manageress, plus I personally was 'short' in the till compared to the reading on the pumps. Considering there were then three of us working them on every shift, how did she know WHO was short, but never blamed the other two? confused.gif

20.  Twins
Posted by Ark Email User on 23/6/2008, 4:39 pm
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE REMEMBER THE BARNEY TWINS
THEY USED TO BE SLAB LAYERS BACK IN THE 60s THEY WERE SO ALIKE IT WAS HARD TO TELL THEM APART, USED TO DRESS THE SAME AS WELL, THEY MUST BE IN THERE LATE 70s OR EARLY 80s NOW, THEY LIVED AT THE TIME IN PITSEA/BASILDON BUT I CAUGHT A GLIMPSE OF THEM IN SOUTHEND MANY YEARS AGO
ARK

21.  Basildon Stock Cars
Posted by Fred Rand Email User on 26/6/2008, 3:56 pm
Hi Any one out there remember the old Basildon Boys Stock car team, Ernie Byron, Jim Gannon, George Bartley & Fred Rand, Would love to hear from anybody who does.

22.  Bus Drivers or Conductors
Posted by Fred Rand Email User on 27/6/2008, 2:33 pm
Any old bus drivers out there from the early days?? I was a conductor at the old Bull Road garage in 1959 and a driver at the new Basildon garage later on, would love to make contact with any one who was there.

Re: Bus Drivers or Conductors
Posted by Ken Page Email User on 18/7/2008, 6:15 am
Gday Brian [Fred], I was a conductor at Grays LT depot then went to Romford Green Line depot in London Road until 1964 when I left for Australia, it was actually talking to you that got me to join the buses, I was a junior postman at Barstable PO with my old man [Charlie] money was lousy eight quid a week
LT were paying about ten or twelve plus o/time. Mind you shift work played havoc with your social life, I've still got my conductors licence badge, number 87687, lost the hat badge years ago unfortunatly,Regards to all in Laindon Ken Page

Posted by Ken Page Email User on 18/7/2008, 12:49 pm
Getting to Grays bus depot by 4.20 am was no fun in the winter of '62/'63, I rode a BSA 500 there every day for months, came down outside the Crown Hotel on black Ice, was not happy, blimey Ive never been so cold in my life as I was that winter, thats what drove me out to Australia, Ken

Posted by David Merchant Email User on 3/11/2008, 11:16 am
Hello Fred, not sure if this is of any interest to you but my dad worked at the Bull Road bus garage for a while, it must have been around about the same time as you. He was in the workshops to start off with, then a conductor, then driver. I remember going there when very young. Not sure if he went on to the new garage, but by the late 60s he was a telephonist at the Basildon exchange in Winstanley Way. His name was Don Merchant, he would have been 45 in 1960, and lived up Noak Hill Road, Billericay.
David

Posted by Fred Rand on 4/11/2008, 8:50 am
Hi David, Thanks for the message. I remember your dad very well I can remember that if any one had a problem with their car he used to fix it for them in fact he did a big job on one of my cars an old Austin A40. What happy days they were. I think he came to the new garage for a short while then left to join the then GPO.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 25/11/2008, 11:25 pm
Does anybody remember Conductor Steve Akhurst from Canvey depot in the days of the Bristol Lodekka? (I hope I spelt it correctly as I am not a bus fan?)

Posted by Debbie Email User on 2/5/2009, 6:41 pm
Hello
My dad worked for the eastern national at basildon. My mum and dad came down from london with the job in the 1950s.
My dad used to take me with him i was only 6 months old and have photos of my dad giving me my bottle on southend sea front. The clippy used to look after me and he put my carrycot in the baggage compartment.
Debbie

23.  Rotary Hoes & Brown and Tawse at West Horndon
Posted by Vic Wiles Email User on 27/6/2008, 4:45 pm
Does anyone out there remember Rotary Hoes at West Horndon quite a few people from the Basildon area worked there between 1948 - 1975. I worked in the Maintenance department there for 16 years until they closed and moved up north

Re: Rotary Hoes & Brown and Tawse at West Horndon
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 1/7/2008, 8:28 pm
I used to work at Brown & Tawse 'next door' and started there as a Telext-Boy straight from school. I started on 3rd Jan 1962 and left in 1964, just a couple of months before moving to Norfolk.

Back in the 1980's, I met a guy named Jim Hill (Not 'The Chin' on BBC) that did work for Howard Rotavators, or Rotary Hoes as we all knew them. He was a Traffic Warden in Kings Lynn and one of the few pleasant ones at that.

Posted by Ken Page Email User on 18/7/2008, 12:40 pm
I didnt know it all those years ago but it seems that Howard Rotavators was owned by Australians, they also made a small crawler tractor ???, Ken P

Posted by Grfarmer Email User on 12/9/2008, 4:54 am
we have a old howard gem year unknown model number 29561 can anyone give me a approx date of manufacture

Posted by Andrea Ash nee Pinnell Email User on 17/10/2008, 8:09 pm
Brian, way back in July you mentioned Brown & Tawse. My first office job after leaving school at 16 in 1959 was at B&T. I am just wondering whether anyone reading this would know anything about ANGELA (Tullett?) who I worked with at B&T - we were good friends and the fellows in the works would sing ''Angela Jones'' when we walked through there - she was pushing her ''Pink Witch'' bike across the arterial road and was involved in an accident; she was only about 16, a pretty bright girl who was so full of life. I believe her brother worked there too.

Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 25/11/2008, 11:22 pm
Andrea, I left school (Laindon High Road) on 21st December 1961, starting B&T on 3rd January 1962. Sadly, I can't recall the names of the Office Girls who worked there, other than a Shirley and Ann(e). I remember Ivy and Dot in the Hanger, plus another Lady I believe the surname was Fuller.

Going back to Howard Rotovator's, I have since met another employee of theirs, but sadly never got his name, or the years he worked there.

Posted by Fred Rand Email User on 4/12/2008, 5:56 pm
Hallo, Vic, Just a quick message as its been on the site a while. I worked at neat Castings West Horndon which was part Of Rotary Hoes. There were a couple of old Laindon boys who worked there. There was John Birch, Alf Sutton, Ted French, and another one I can remember was Brian Reynolds. Happy days we used to have some laughs on the train from Laindon to West Horndon. All the very best Fred.

Posted by Geoff Mansfield Email User on 26/6/2009, 3:15 am
My brother, John Mansfield worked at Brown and Tawse before and after World War 2.

Posted by Marina Email User on 30/7/2009, 7:18 pm
HI All

I have just spent a good couple of hours looking at all these messages. Talk about a trip down memory Lane

I refer in particular to 2.

I was reading of Peter and Jose Tyler of Tyler Avenue, I moved to Tyler at the tender age of about 13 yrs right next door to Jose and Peter. My Mum and Dad Alan and June Collins. Dad now sadly passed some 10 years ago.
Peter and Jose the best of folk who my children used to run to at every opportunity to see them.
The other was Rotary Hoes. My dad and Mum both worked there. All I know is Mum used to control an office and My Dad years ago worked in the Foundry his brother Bryant also worked there. Dad then changed jobs at Mums request ha ha!!
I remember as a child the wonderful christmas parties held at the factory each year and listening to the tales of the dances that Mum and Dad used to go to along with Moira and Russ (John Russell). Dads brother Bryant moved to Norfolk when the firm went there and some years later I moved here followed by my Mum and Dad

Thanks, Marina Collins

Posted by Robin Lockhart Email User on 29/9/2009, 8:27 pm
My father worked there from 1948 to 1954 approx. he was a skilled toolmaker working in either the toolroom or the machine shop, those staff Xmas parties were brilliant. His name was George.

24.  Stock Car Racing
Posted by Vic Wiles Email User on 27/6/2008, 5:45 pm
Do you remember Stock Car night at Rayleigh Stadium in the late 60's early 70's all the top drivers in the country including one from Basildon, the track was one of the best and the Blinking Owl Cafe's good food on the way home an added bonus

Re: Stock Car Racing
Posted by Fred Rand Email User on 28/6/2008, 10:17 am
Hi Vic, What days they were, good old fashioned stock mostly hand made by the drivers, as for the Blinking Owl we used to have some good laughs there with Len & his wife after the meetings, What about his Bacon Sarnies great thick slices of bread and loads of Bacon. Good old days, do you remember Ernie Byron turning up one night in a top hat and the announcer introducing him as Lord Byron!!!!!

Re: Stock Car Racing
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 1/7/2008, 8:22 pm
It was through Ernie Byron's Dad that I got into the Stock Car Racing, but going to West Ham, now another dammed Housing Estate. I only ever went to the Weir once for a meeting and it had been cancelled for some reason.

25.  Double Six Darts' Team
Posted by Dave Oakley Email User on 28/6/2008, 10:30 am
Any old dart players out there, my brother mick and i used to throw a few for the double six in the mid to late sixties.---- dave oakley.happy.gif

Re: Double Six Darts' Team
Posted by Debbie Email User on 2/5/2009, 6:25 pm
Hello my dad used to play for the long riding and the castle mayne in the 60s and 70s
Debbie

26.  Brockwell's of Laindon
Posted by Fred Rand Email User on 29/6/2008, 3:33 pm
Back in 1953 Brockwell the removers moved me from Camberwll to Laindon can any one remember them??
Their yard was on the left hand side of the high road going towards the Fortune. Before you got to King Edward Road

Re: Brockwell's of Laindon
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 1/7/2008, 8:30 pm
While I can't remember them, I can recall D. C. Jeakins, plus Francis & Jagger. In fact I was in the same class as Alan Jagger whose father ran the business.

Posted by Colin Clarke Email User on 12/7/2008, 11:23 pm
Hi Fred!
We remember Brockwell's, Old Georgie Brockwell used to live next door to the North Parade post office, he used to work part time in Sid Clifford's greengrocery. Mick Dean and I used to help him put the veggies out before school!
I don't know if you remember me, I married Ernie's Cousin Linda and used to tag along to the stock car meetings! I also wasted my nights in the Blinking Owl cafe, but I was only one of the "little" boys then!

Posted by Fred Rand Email User on 16/7/2008, 10:06 am
Hi Colin, Thanks for your reply about George Brockwell, that old boy sure brings back some memories, If you would like to get in touch some time I would love to hear from you.Fred.

Posted by Geoff Mansfield Email User on 26/6/2009, 3:07 am
I remember the Brockwell's. George ran the business, and his son, Tommy, helped out. Last met Tommy in 1974, when he was running the Crown Hotel. As far as I know they were the only carriers in Laindon when I lived there. 1923 to 1936, and 1940 to 1949.

27.  Good old days - Redgrave Road, Vange
Posted by John Walker Email User on 30/6/2008, 7:21 am
Interesting to read all the comments, my parents had the first house in the new town in 1951 which was 61 Redgrave Road. went to Swan mead school when first opened. also remember fields & orchards & scrumping, tuck shop at bottom of redgrave rd. putting pennies on train lines near timberlog lane bridge to make them larger. would like to hear from anyone who remembers me, my name then was Melvyn Walker, now called John.

Re: Good old days - Redgrave Road, Vange
Posted by Brian Baylis Email User on 1/7/2008, 8:19 pm
While I didn't know you, I am glad I wasn't the only one that put things on the railway line, but nearer to Laindon station. At least until I got caught and the guy threatened to tell my Dad.

Re: Good old days - Redgrave Road, Vange
Posted by Jack Fisher Email User on 28/2/2010, 4:31 pm
There was houses in Basildon before the town became Basildon. I used to make my half pennies into pennies at the level crossing at the Five Bells. I was born in a road called Bellevue Drive, some where where Redgrave Road is today.

Click here for July - December 2008 entries

blank.gif
Page added: 2011
blank.gif
blank.gif
Back a Page Basildon History Forum Basildon History Forum Archive Top of Page Homepage Next Page
© Basildon History Online Website - WWW.BASILDON.COM